dr.com 2nd Annual Spring Picnic

hillvalley

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing folks might want to consider is the availability of a rain date.  If we schuedled the picnic on the 21st and the weather turned out to be bad, we could have the 4th in our pocket as a rain date.  Or is the plan to have the Sunday following the 4th be the rain date?

IF, and that might be a IF since the place may be reserved by now. But if we could get Ft. Hunt park reserved the availability of a shelter would help if we encountered some rain.

Ironically enough, The Old Farmer's Almanac is calling for rain the weekend of the 21st. I am looking into reserving one of the spots Ft. Hunt Park. Rain has never been a big issue in the past and I am not sure why we are turning it into one now. I am also hesitant to schedule a picnic when there are already at least two food related events scheduled that day that may involve some of our members. It seems sort of, I don't know, wrong <_<

Ironically enough, The Old Farmer's Almanac is calling for rain the weekend of the 21st.  I am looking into reserving one of the spots Ft. Hunt Park.  Rain has never been a big issue in the past and I am not sure why we are turning it into one now.  I am also hesitant to schedule a picnic when there are already at least two food related events scheduled that day that may involve some of our members.  It seems sort of, I don't know, wrong <_<

Rain was never an issue in the past because it never rained on the days that were picked for the picnic. But each picnic is an independant event and I think all would agree that it would not be a good idea to conclude that it will not rain on the day picked for this year simply because it did not rain on the all of the prior days picked for the picnic.

Rain was never an issue in the past because it never rained on the days that were picked for the picnic.  But each picnic is an independant event and I think all would agree that it would not be a good idea to conclude that it will not rain on the day picked for this year simply because it did not rain on the all of the prior days picked for the picnic.

Ah JG, your post is like a beautiful song that thrills this statistician's heart.

Unless anyone has any life altering, dire need for the date to change we will stay with the 4th.

Aside from not being able to go on the 4th <_< - but I wouldn't call that life altering since i missed the first two and have come through battered but unbroken.

Besides I'm sure many others can't make it in May.

Rain was never an issue in the past because it never rained on the days that were picked for the picnic.  But each picnic is an independant event and I think all would agree that it would not be a good idea to conclude that it will not rain on the day picked for this year simply because it did not rain on the all of the prior days picked for the picnic.

I heard the independent theory at the roulette table when I went to Vegas earlier this year. Didn't help much there. Hopefully we will have better luck for the weather.

We'll be visiting my family in Louisiana on the 4th of June, but I can attest to the soundness of Ft. Hunt park for a party like this. The Baltimore/Washington alumni club for the University of Louisiana-Lafayette has used it for several years for our annual crawfish boil and we enjoy the covered pavilion and easy to find location.

We used to be University of Southwestern Louisiana (USL) and enjoyed our reputation as University for Slow Learners. Give 'em hell, USL!!! Hot boudin, cold cush cush. Come on Cajuns. Push Push Push!

wish we could be there

I want to clear up any confusion on how June 4th was chosen. You all voted for it ;) If you count only first choices (including mine which was for the 4th) the 4th won by 1 vote. Two if you count acrovers in abstentia vote <_< The talk of picking a rain date has come up and I am throwing out the 11th, which is a week later. (Father's day is the 18th.) I don't think we need to vote on it unless it becomes an issue in June.

As many of you know it takes a lot of work to pull this thing off. If you would like to help out please let me know. We will need help with everything from oganizing behind the scenes to setting up the site.

The first task that needs accomplishing is to see if we can get a permit for Ft. Hunt on the 4th. If we can it is an option worth looking into. I am not able to do this from work so if you can please email me and let me know. Thanks!

I want to clear up any confusion on how June 4th was chosen.  You all voted for it :)   If you count only first choices (including mine which was for the 4th) the 4th won by 1 vote. Two if you count acrovers in abstentia vote <_<   The talk of picking a rain date has come up and I am throwing out the 11th, which is a week later.  (Father's day is the 18th.)  I don't think we need to vote on it unless it becomes an issue in June.

As many of you know it takes a lot of work to pull this thing off.  If you would like to help out please let me know.  We will need help with everything from oganizing behind the scenes to setting up the site.

The first task that needs accomplishing is to see if we can get a permit for Ft. Hunt on the 4th.  If we can it is an option worth looking into.  I am not able to do this from work so if you can please email me and let me know.  Thanks!

You do realize that a reservation at Ft. Hunt park requires cash, right? See here for the rates. If we are lucky enough to get the reservation then the big job of holding the site is gone, but I will miss watching JG "shooting" ducks over the Potomac. ;)

The C area is made up of 3 areas, C1, C2, and C3. They are all available and C2 has a shelter available and 17 picnic tables. Grills need to be provided by us.

My vote is still for Belle Haven, but Ft. Hunt does allow alcohol with no issues.

The C area is made up of 3 areas, C1, C2, and C3.  They are all available and C2 has a shelter available and 17 picnic tables.  Grills need to be provided by us.

My vote is still for Belle Haven, but Ft. Hunt does allow alcohol with no issues.

I can foot the bill for $135 - people can just throw a dollar into a coffee can or something.

In the interest of clarity, here is what the Park regulations say about consumption of alcoholic beverages at the park:

3. Beer or wine (no hard liquors) is allowed with a valid park permit only; however, state laws prohibiting the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors must be observed. If you contract with a local distributor to deliver beer to the park, the distributor will require you to purchase a 1-day permit through the ABC Board.

Since it seems that the location is planned and the coordination of 'holding' the spot are removed we can now focus on food!

Besides JG and his butt, what is everyone planning on bringing? Right now I plan on bringing some sort of sausage. (CrescentFresh you are being volunteered to help me make it <_< )

BTW, are we going to have another tasting?

Hey everybody - the picnic is not for two months! Plenty of time to mull things over before making any decisions about what to bring. Here is a link to last fall's recipes to get you started. Just about everything fell into a few broad categories: appetizers, salads, meats, breads and desserts. Others contributed beverages, paper goods and supplies, grills, and games for the kids.

For a tasting like last picnic's olive oil tasting, why don't we try a butter and salt tasting? Fancy pants butters (flavored, herbed, hand churned by Vermont spinsters, etc.) spread on crackers or bread slices, and an array of exotic salts to sprinkle on top. It's easy, not messy, holds up well in all kinds of weather, and the kind of thing even kids enjoy. Oh yea, goes well with beer and wine. No need to do a blind tasting, just schmeer, sprinkle and eat.

Others contributed beverages, paper goods and supplies, grills, and games for the kids. 

I have a large black plastic trash bag in my basement which contains the remains of the paper and plastic goods from the last two picnics. I was hoping to reduce the volume of its contents at the last picnic but the opposite occured. I will provide an inventory of what I have and see where we are deficient. I can safely say that we have plenty of plastic cutlery and paper plates and napkins.

Piggy-backing on Mr. K, I noticed the site has a shut-down time of 6PM.  That's about when we got done last year, but perhaps we should start earlier this year?

[Let's nix the picnic chat for now (two months of this will be interminable), and focus on these events...

Chris and Binni's April 20th fundraiser at L'Academie de Cuisine

Monica's dinner at Passage to India

C'mon dudes, we need some more support for these if we're going to keep organizing events!]

bump :)

Chris and Binni's event was a complete success and the Passage to India dinner is full (although I am taking names for the waiting list if you are interested) so it is time to get back to the planning of the picnic.

Everyone on two legs is welcome; spouses, children, grandparents, etc. Please keep dogs and other four legged family members at home. You can bring them some left overs, if there are any. I call any of Jacques leftover butt.

Now it's time for the fun part: who is going to bring what?

I'm bringing salmon mousse.

I haven't yet decided what I am going to cook, but I am going to give away to anyone who would like some French culinary-quality dried lavender blossoms. I bought a pound of it at Surfa's when I was in L.A. A pound of dried lavender is a huge amount--it's much more than I can possibly use in the next year, and I will be back in L.A. and able to get more, in December. It can be difficult to find here, and very expensive when you do find it. I couldn't believe how inexpensive this huge bag was, so I bought it. Did my suitcase ever smell good!

Food TBD, but I'm also planning to bring my medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners (everybody should have a few of these about the house; you won't pay more than $15-20 in any Asian grocery) in case a couple of folks need to finish a dish onsite.

Useful or not?

I haven't yet decided what I am going to cook, but I am going to give away to anyone who would like some French culinary-quality dried lavender blossoms. I bought a pound of it at Surfa's when I was in L.A. A pound of dried lavender is a huge amount--it's much more than I can possibly use in the next year, and I will be back in L.A. and able to get more, in December. It can be difficult to find here, and very expensive when you do find it. I couldn't believe how inexpensive this huge bag was, so I bought it. Did my suitcase ever smell good!

I`ll be happy to take some of that lavender  :)

Zora--Why don't you bring the bag, someone else can bring some baggies and we can hand it out there? That way you don't have to deal with bagging all of it or keep track of who wants some of your generous offering.

I also want to stress that you do not have to bring something home made to join us! :angry:

We always need drinks, cheese, etc. Jacques will let us know how the paper good stash is holding up and what we need.

Useful.  Last time, shogun cooked his miniburgers using my coleman propane camp stove.

This place does not have grills on site, correct?

This is great that we don't have to worry about the spot and we can just relax and focus on what bring and enjoying the day!

What to bring...stay tuned...

Smoked pork shoulder wtih Eastern North Carolina barbeque sauce (enough for everyone)

Roasted potato salad (enough for 10-12)

Martian pig slop from hell. (enough)

Cigars (3 or 4)

Folding chairs (1 or 2)

The big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics.

Zora--Why don't you bring the bag, someone else can bring some baggies and we can hand it out there?  That way you don't have to deal with bagging all of it or keep track of who wants some of your generous offering. 

I was planning to put it into small baggies (not a major expense) in advance--that way, it will be fairly apportioned, and anyone who wants it can grab a bag. No need to tell me in advance who will want some.

bump :)

Chris and Binni's event was a complete success and the Passage to India dinner is full (although I am taking names for the waiting list if you are interested) so it is time to get back to the planning of the picnic.

Everyone on two legs is welcome; spouses, children, grandparents, etc.  Please keep dogs and other four legged family members at home.  You can bring them some left overs, if there are any.  I call any of Jacques leftover butt.

Now it's time for the fun part: who is going to bring what? 

I'm bringing salmon mousse.

We also should work up a list of who is coming so we will know how many to expect. Count me in possibly + 3 kids.