mdt

Proof, Capital One Arena, Chef George Rodrigues Replaces Austin Fausett, Who Replaced Ben Schramm, Who Replaced Haidar Kharoum, Etc.

If the experiences of Park Smith at Veritas and Roy Welland at Washington Park/Cru are any indication, this guy's cellar is going to take quite a beating, and quick.

I thought that under DC law, a restaurant may not acquire wine for resale from a private collector. Perhaps I am wrong. But does anyone know how it is possible under DC law for this restaurant to use the wine owned by investors? I'm not even certain they can contribute it to the capital of the company. I'm not accusing them of doing anything dishonest, I obviously don't know the law - rather, I'm asking to be educated.

I believe a licensed establishment can acquire an additional bit of licensing that allows them to source whatever they want and pay the DC tax as long as they certify that they cannot acquire it via normal means.

Now that we're in mid-April...anyone heard an update? I get nervous when things take this long to open. The sign has been up since last year - that's a long time to carry the investment...

That said - I'd also like to be first in line when they open! :-)

Now that we're in mid-April...anyone heard an update? I get nervous when things take this long to open. The sign has been up since last year - that's a long time to carry the investment...

That said - I'd also like to be first in line when they open! :-)

Wow - ask and you shall receive. Just posted on dcist.com.

According the DCist article, the "Enomatic" will dispense wine through the use of prepaid cards and pushbuttons. Does anyone know how that will work? It sounds weird. Does that mean customers will handle wine dispensation on their own, using their prepaid cards at a centralized machine? Or does each table get its own dispensation system? If so, who will be responsible for peeling me off the floor after I have been completely unable to contain the same impulses that overcome me at buffets?

According the DCist article, the "Enomatic" will dispense wine through the use of prepaid cards and pushbuttons. Does anyone know how that will work? It sounds weird. Does that mean customers will handle wine dispensation on their own, using their prepaid cards at a centralized machine? Or does each table get its own dispensation system? If so, who will be responsible for peeling me off the floor after I have been completely unable to contain the same impulses that overcome me at buffets?

So from what I've seen at VinoVenue in SF, it's usually one centralized machine. It's actually a pretty neat looking thing. There are folks who are around tending machines. Now as to whether they are also there to cut you off is another question.

Sounds like the machines at WF. Should be interesting to see how this works in a restaurant setting.

At first blush, it sounds silly in a restaurant context. I can see having an enomatic behind the bar for portion control and bottle preservation, but why should I have to make a prepaid investment in a restaurant context?

At first blush, it sounds silly in a restaurant context. I can see having an enomatic behind the bar for portion control and bottle preservation, but why should I have to make a prepaid investment in a restaurant context?

I assume Enomatic's salesperson has convinced them that the novelty of serve-yourself is worth the nuisance to their customers. It'd also be interesting to see what per-glass pricing looks like compared to traditional service, because the machine also seems to obviate wine-service tips.

I'm curious how they're going to handle glassware. Will there be a way to rinse between pours? Can you hog a half-dozen stems to yourself? Are you welcome to bring your own stems, for that matter?

I am inclined to agree. And if it's a reloadable, who wants to keep track of yet another card in your wallet?

I am the owner of Proof. There is no farecard access to the enomatic wine system. All wine will be dispensed from the enomatic in premeasured tasting and full glass portions by the bartender.

I am the owner of Proof. There is no farecard access to the enomatic wine system. All wine will be dispensed from the enomatic in premeasured tasting and full glass portions by the bartender.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark. So this sounds similar to the (excellent) system used at Sonoma. For me, the most important thing about this isn't the push-button pours; it's that the reds tend to be served at the proper temperature. Also, the bottle isn't repeatedly tilted so any fine sediment remains at the bottom, right?

Cheers,

Rocks.

That's perfect! It is also the system used at the "trattoria" dining concept at the front of Whole Foods Fair Lakes.

it's that the reds tend to be served at the proper temperature.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Also the whites, as my friend from California who is frustrated by constantly having her chardonnay served at Budweiser temp noted appreciatively the other day :blink:

Excellent, thank you for letting us know.

I feel a donrockwell.com happy hour might be in order once they open. Too bad Google doesn't turn up a website.