Dining on Sunday Nights

crackers

Need somewhere to get together Sunday evening for drinks and probably a light meal near the Grand Hyatt - at 10th and H with someone who is blind. A comfortable bar/lounge area where we can also eat, or a table where we can heareasily is ideal. Also something not likely to be found in Albany, NY. Sunday evenings probably aren't too busy most downtown places, but Corduroy is closed Sundays, right?

Edited by crackers

Corduroy is NOT closed on Sundays.

An old friend is coming for a conference and wants to get together Sunday evening for drinks and probably a light meal near the Grand Hyatt - at 10th and H.  He is blind. A comfortable bar/lounge area where we can also eat, or a comfortable table where he will be able to hear me easily is ideal.  Also something not likely to be found in Albany, NY. Sunday evenings probably aren't too busy most downtown places, right?  Corduroy is closed Sundays, and other than Jaleo and Cafe Atlantico, both of which might work (?), I'm blanking.

Consider Tosca or Oceanaire (bar, but no lounge in both but food not likely to be found in Albany). Also, Ortanique.

Whoops, Tosca is closed on Sundays during July and August and Ortanique does not open on Sundays at all.

But, Butterfield 9 is open, although it is a little bit further.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Before moving to DC I spent 17 years of my life in the Albany area. There are exceptions but, frankly, it is nothing but a "Ruby Tuesday" community, with a smattering of pedestrian red-sauce Italian and recent-immigrant Asian cooking. Nearly anything you choose to do near 10th and H will be different from what your friend has in Albany. So I'd concentrate mostly on finding a physical space you'll be comfortable in.

I will say, though, that there are a lot of pizza-makers in Albany who would do very well if they opened up shop in DC.

Actually, the restaurant at Corduroy is closed on Sundays -- just the bar is open. We were there last weekend and had a delightful time talking with Tom, the bartender, as well as a very nice white burgandy :P

Actually, the restaurant at Corduroy is closed on Sundays -- just the bar is open. We were there last weekend and had a delightful time talking with Tom, the bartender, as well as a very nice white burgandy  :P

They do serve food on Sunday, and there is a comfortable bar/lounge area.

Corduroy would be my choice.
And so it was. Yes, Corduroy's bar/lounge is open Sunday evenings, and yes. there is a full bar menu as well as a generous portion of specials including several full entrees. We enjoyed the "foot long" spring rolls and buffala mozzarella porcupine and Ferhat also brought us two intense ice creams - rasberry and an awesome lemon. Oh my, were those great. It was my first visit, and I'm very glad we ended up there - it was quiet, comfortable and delicious. My friend stuck with vodka on the rocks but Ferhat made me a wonderful concoction of campari, vodka and cointreau - I think. What ever it was, it hit the spot that a frou frou drink doesn't usually hit for me. I am sure we overstayed our welcome, but we had many years of catching up to do. We made it to about year 10 by last call, but that's ok... I'll be back for restaurant week.

FY-I: Corduroy plans to extend its Restaurant Week by an extra week.

Thanks you all for your suggestions!

Edited by crackers

Equinox is also open on Sunday nights, from 5:00-9:00.

Chef Todd Gray usually lets his sous-chefs work every other Sunday, and it is a wonderful opportunity to allow them to be creative, since they usually aren't super-busy on Sunday nights.

If you go early enough and ask for a set number of courses, a sort-of spontaneous chef's menu, then the kitchen crew can show off some dishes that they've wanted to try out and let their creativity loose. It can be really fun, since on a slow Sunday those guys can get a little bored. They love to cook for their friends and they really enjoy an opportunity to have fun with you.

Work with them, and you will be richly rewarded. If you plan on a sizeable group, just talk to them later in the week and they can prepare for you. Try to talk with Ethan if you can.

Circle Bistro is open, and it rocks! Don't miss the steak tartare.

That is Chef Brendan Cox, former sous at Equinox and chef at Market Salamander in Middleburg, VA. (I know that Mark knows this - I mention it for the benefit of other readers :P )

Brendan is a huge fan of steak tartare - one late night a few years ago, I was with him and some other friends and we had closed out a bar but we were still hungry. It was probably around 1:00, and I suggested Bistro Français, which is usually open until at least 3:00. Brendan's reaction was, "Great! I could go for some steak tartare."

Good to know that they are open Sundays, thanks!

Edited by JoeRiley

That is Chef Brendan Cox, former sous at Equinox and chef at Market Salamander in Middleburg, VA.  (I know that Mark knows this - I mention it for the benefit of other readers  :P    )

Brendan is a huge fan of steak tartare - one late night a few years ago, I was with him and some other friends and we had closed out a bar but we were still hungry.  It was probably around 1:00, and I suggested Bistro Français, which is usually open until at least 3:00.  Brendan's reaction was, "Great!  I could go for some steak tartare."

Good to know that they are open Sundays, thanks!

brendanc also hangs out here when he feels the need to associate with the commoners.

Edited by JPW

my favorite sunday night places...

mendocino (i beleive they still do 1/2 price wine on sundays)

cashion's

montmarte - it is patio season

the bar at cap grille (although, recent visits have been less than consistant - the service is always superb)

On a slightly different note: Does anyone know a place serving up a good easter ham on Sunday for lunch/brunch? It could be baked ham, or ham steak, or even a carving station, I just want to be able to have easter ham.

As a general complaint- why don't more places serve ham as a stand alone dish as mentioned above instead of just using it to flavor things? It is so good.

In short- I love ham.

Best,

Ed

Well, last night we stumbled to Sonoma, thinking that if Mendocino is open Sundays, they ought to be, as well, but alas, the door was closed and inside was dark. I wonder if it is Easter weekend or regular Sunday hours, if the latter, I will be bitterly disappointed. So the ever-reliable Sette had to step in, yes, they are open every day, Sunday or high holiday, and BdC, well, they are open, and last night, that was good enough for me.

Hi all, I rarely post but find myself with a unique dilemma. A landmark birthday is coming up and I'm looking for some recs on a gastronomically-delicious destination in DC or VA for seven people. Here is the kicker--it is on a Sunday (which rules out Komi, Palena and several others I was considering)

I am hoping for a place where you can order a la carte--not looking to break the bank on $100 tasting menus this time around, as I am not the one hosting the event...

I had thought of Restaurant Eve's bistro... any other ideas?

Thanks all!!

Hi all, I rarely post but find myself with a unique dilemma. A landmark birthday is coming up and I'm looking for some recs on a gastronomically-delicious destination in DC or VA for seven people. Here is the kicker--it is on a Sunday (which rules out Komi, Palena and several others I was considering)

I am hoping for a place where you can order a la carte--not looking to break the bank on $100 tasting menus this time around, as I am not the one hosting the event...

Thanks all!!

Circle Bistro!

Thanks all!!

Restaurant Eve is closed on Sundays. What about Firefly or Corduroy?

Thanks all!!

How about a birthday eve celebration at Eve? As noted by another poster, Eve is closed on Sunday, but you could ring in the b-day with a Saturday nite outing (stretching into the wee hours of Sun morning).

How about a birthday eve celebration at Eve? As noted by another poster, Eve is closed on Sunday, but you could ring in the b-day with a Saturday nite outing (stretching into the wee hours of Sun morning).

I like the way you think! :) Thing is, the Sunday evening is actually a follow-up to an already planned Saturday night booze-bash. Though I hardly deserve it, I am being spoiled silly and could totally get used to this treatment. So, I'll throw the following recs out to my hosts: Firefly, Corderoy, Majestic, Vermillion, Circle Bistro.

thanks all!

BG

I like the way you think! :) Thing is, the Sunday evening is actually a follow-up to an already planned Saturday night booze-bash. Though I hardly deserve it, I am being spoiled silly and could totally get used to this treatment. So, I'll throw the following recs out to my hosts: Firefly, Corderoy, Majestic, Vermillion, Circle Bistro.

thanks all!

BG

Corduroy's dining room is closed on Sundays.

Thanks all!!

Marcel's is open on Sunday night. 202-296-1166

If their RW menu is representative of their "normal" offerings, I probably wouldn't make a special trip to Bis...however, Majestic Cafe in Alexandria is open on Sunday.
But wasn't the argument upthread that the RW offering weren't representative of their regular menu? :)