Photo

BlackSalt, MacArthur Boulevard in Palisades - Chef Mike Huff Comes From Naples, Italy

Palisades Seafood Market Black Restaurant Group

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 sheldman

sheldman

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Just to bump this thread and say that happy hour really is nice here.  

A dozen very good oysters for a dozen dollars.  Mussels "malata" (Smoked Greens, Chilies, Squash), a very reasonable portion for $9, and thankfully not the same old universal mussel preparation.  And you could either get sloppy on martinis for $7 or pace yourself by going off-happy-hour to get a "Up A Creek," (BlackSalt Private Barrel Catoctin Creek Rye, Wilks & Wilson Orgeat, St-Germain, Lemon) which was delicious.

• DonRocks and darkstar965 like this

#152 ol_ironstomach

ol_ironstomach

Wunderpus photogenicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

We were also there on Monday evening, both to seek relief from rush hour traffic and to celebrate Gubeen's most recent career move.  The front room was doing a reasonable trade, but we enjoyed the quiet of having a rather empty back "wine" dining room to ourselves for a while.  Monday isn't theoretically ideal for either seafood or for your favorite spots being open for dinner, but BlackSalt didn't disappoint.  Excellent oysters Rockefeller, beautifully crisped skin on the red snapper / buckwheat ramen on the daily specials list.

But just as memorably, really, really good service.  Comfortable, unforced, unintrusive yet ever-present.  I didn't count how many times the shell plate for her moules was changed...it would simply be replaced every time it started to look two-thirds full.  I personally hadn't been in years, partly from a long period of not venturing into DC enough, but this is going back onto my radar.

• zoramargolis, turbogrrl and KMango like this

Dave Hsu
--------"Cuisine represents a knife edge that separates attractive stimulation from death."--- Art Ayers

#153 rorkin

rorkin

shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:25 PM

We were also there on Monday evening, both to seek relief from rush hour traffic and to celebrate Gubeen's most recent career move.  The front room was doing a reasonable trade, but we enjoyed the quiet of having a rather empty back "wine" dining room to ourselves for a while.  Monday isn't theoretically ideal for either seafood or for your favorite spots being open for dinner, but BlackSalt didn't disappoint.  Excellent oysters Rockefeller, beautifully crisped skin on the red snapper / buckwheat ramen on the daily specials list.

But just as memorably, really, really good service.  Comfortable, unforced, unintrusive yet ever-present.  I didn't count how many times the shell plate for her moules was changed...it would simply be replaced every time it started to look two-thirds full.  I personally hadn't been in years, partly from a long period of not venturing into DC enough, but this is going back onto my radar.

Wish I could agree. Have been there several times. Latest meal included entree that was raw, another main course lacking in flavor. Indifferent staff and stale bread. Really felt taken advantage of. No excuse at these prices.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Palisades, Seafood, Market, Black Restaurant Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users