Photo

BlackSalt, MacArthur Boulevard in Palisades - Chef Mike Huff Comes From Naples, Italy

Palisades Seafood Market Black Restaurant Group

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#151 sheldman

sheldman

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Just to bump this thread and say that happy hour really is nice here.  

A dozen very good oysters for a dozen dollars.  Mussels "malata" (Smoked Greens, Chilies, Squash), a very reasonable portion for $9, and thankfully not the same old universal mussel preparation.  And you could either get sloppy on martinis for $7 or pace yourself by going off-happy-hour to get a "Up A Creek," (BlackSalt Private Barrel Catoctin Creek Rye, Wilks & Wilson Orgeat, St-Germain, Lemon) which was delicious.

• DonRocks and darkstar965 like this

#152 ol_ironstomach

ol_ironstomach

Wunderpus photogenicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

We were also there on Monday evening, both to seek relief from rush hour traffic and to celebrate Gubeen's most recent career move.  The front room was doing a reasonable trade, but we enjoyed the quiet of having a rather empty back "wine" dining room to ourselves for a while.  Monday isn't theoretically ideal for either seafood or for your favorite spots being open for dinner, but BlackSalt didn't disappoint.  Excellent oysters Rockefeller, beautifully crisped skin on the red snapper / buckwheat ramen on the daily specials list.

But just as memorably, really, really good service.  Comfortable, unforced, unintrusive yet ever-present.  I didn't count how many times the shell plate for her moules was changed...it would simply be replaced every time it started to look two-thirds full.  I personally hadn't been in years, partly from a long period of not venturing into DC enough, but this is going back onto my radar.

• zoramargolis, turbogrrl and KMango like this

Dave Hsu
--------"Cuisine represents a knife edge that separates attractive stimulation from death."--- Art Ayers

#153 rorkin

rorkin

Elvin Hayes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

We were also there on Monday evening, both to seek relief from rush hour traffic and to celebrate Gubeen's most recent career move.  The front room was doing a reasonable trade, but we enjoyed the quiet of having a rather empty back "wine" dining room to ourselves for a while.  Monday isn't theoretically ideal for either seafood or for your favorite spots being open for dinner, but BlackSalt didn't disappoint.  Excellent oysters Rockefeller, beautifully crisped skin on the red snapper / buckwheat ramen on the daily specials list.

But just as memorably, really, really good service.  Comfortable, unforced, unintrusive yet ever-present.  I didn't count how many times the shell plate for her moules was changed...it would simply be replaced every time it started to look two-thirds full.  I personally hadn't been in years, partly from a long period of not venturing into DC enough, but this is going back onto my radar.

Wish I could agree. Have been there several times. Latest meal included entree that was raw, another main course lacking in flavor. Indifferent staff and stale bread. Really felt taken advantage of. No excuse at these prices.

#154 astrid

astrid

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Have to agree with Rorkin, unfortunately.  Our recent experience here was bland and muddle flavors, distracted staff, and great disappointment compared to Black Salt of 3-4 years ago.  I used to think of Black Salt as roughly equivalent to Hank's, albeit with somewhat different focus.  But that dinner falls far short of any meal I've ever had at Hank's.  At similar prices, you could have an amazing meal at Fishnook or Rappahannock.

#155 wristband

wristband

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

I make it 3 nays.  Especially the service - once warm and solicitous, now indifferent and harried - and the gravity defying prices - once moderate for once terrific quality.  If you live in the Palisades, nice to have a neighborhood fish joint to walk to albeit an expensive one (happy hour might make sense).  But a special trip down MacArthur these days?   

Perhaps reflective of my recent experience: on our last visit, trying to get the attention of fish counter staff for take-home purchases was a test of endurance & patience.  Yo, take my money please! 

#156 lotus125

lotus125

Hank Aaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

I hate to dissent from the recent dissent, but I just had a very good meal there.  One so-so appetizer special; a very good salmon tartare; good mussels as always; and two excellent entrees -- smokey swordfish and whole branzino.  The prices are high and the food has some variance.  But Blacksalt is still able to put out great food.  I hope that they read this board and focus on consistency. 

• ol_ironstomach likes this

#157 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

I got an email this week from the folks at Littorai (a really, really great producer of wine in California) are hosting a wine dinner her in late February. After recent comments I saw in this thread I had half a mind to ping them and suggest they read this thread.  Wonder if I still should? 

Food.Wine.Cats.Hawaiian Shirts.Travel.Art.Music.

#158 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

I make it 3 nays.

I had previously dropped BlackSalt behind Et Voila in the Dining Guide, and that's before these three reviews. I'm listening; I hope the restaurant is, too.

I hate to dissent from the recent dissent, but I just had a very good meal there.  One so-so appetizer special; a very good salmon tartare; good mussels as always; and two excellent entrees -- smokey swordfish and whole branzino.  The prices are high and the food has some variance.  But Blacksalt is still able to put out great food.  I hope that they read this board and focus on consistency. 

Six write-ups this year by experienced diners: three positive, three negative - nothing to panic about.

I got an email this week from the folks at Littorai (a really, really great producer of wine in California) are hosting a wine dinner her in late February. After recent comments I saw in this thread I had half a mind to ping them and suggest they read this thread.  Wonder if I still should? 

Ping Littorai? Nah, the sample size is way too small to draw any definitive conclusions, and you know BlackSalt will be on their game that evening.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#159 ol_ironstomach

ol_ironstomach

Wunderpus photogenicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

I hope that they read this board and focus on consistency. 

Same.   Not long after our very nice meal, we visited for happy hour and found several items (fish and chips, calamari) disappointing; the former weren't as crisp as they ought to be, and the latter were heavily oversalted (and I like salt).  We let them know, but the calamari in particular should never have left the kitchen.  Day of the week?  Just the fryer station?  I don't know, but that much unpredictability isn't a desirable trait.

Dave Hsu
--------"Cuisine represents a knife edge that separates attractive stimulation from death."--- Art Ayers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Palisades, Seafood, Market, Black Restaurant Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users