Eatdceat

DCity Smokehouse - Barbecue by Pitmaster Shawn McWhirter who Replaces Rob Sonderman

Former Hill Country pitmaster opened up his own place in Bloomingdale. 

Overall, I think it's very welcome addition to DC's mostly weak bbq scene. Hill Country style prices - not a $20 slab kind of place. But the meat delivered on my first visit. The brisket was delicious (requested the fattier side) and the pork ribs were very good. The meat stood on its own, all the better since the sauces (served on the side) were underwhelming. Baked beans were so so. Hush puppies were really good.

Be prepared to wait while they get the operation humming. I went shortly after opening when it was empty and it took almost ten minutes to get my food. And I've heard they get really backed up during peak hours.

It's primarily carryout but they have four stools for eating there.

All in all, good bbq and worthy of a return visit.

"Chopped Brisket and Pork Ribs at DCity Smokehouse, Now Open in Bloomingdale" (with menu) by Jessica Sidman on washingtoncitypaper.com

I went back a second time for lunch. Opted for the meaty palmer sandwich this time - a smoked turkey and pork belly sandwich with avocado and aioli. Delicious.

Picked up my carry out in their immaculate storefront, very cool look inside even if the surrounding businesses aren't as inviting.

BBQ Sampler (out of ribs at 7pm, so pork tips instead; plus my choice to try pork belly and brisket) with a side of braised greens, house pickles, and TX toast ($18), 24 wings ($19), green chili cheese grits, crispy brussel sprouts, and smokey brisket chili (each side $3).

This is adult BBQ, not sure if anything I tasted is appropriate for kids as it is aggressively seasoned. The smoked wings are outstanding. The brisket isn't as moist as what I recall at Hill Co., but flavorful. Pork belly is 50/50 meat/fat, super soft with just a bit of char.

Brussel sprouts didn't work for me, the braised greens cooked with pork was better at balancing this rich platter.

I shall return.

• Like 1

My spice-timid child loves the meaty Palmer, hold the aoili and the hush puppies. I frequently gravitate towards the chopped pork sandwich, but we often get a bunch of sandwiches and a meat platter to share. This is a wonderful addition, the only caveat is that you have to plan a bit early, at least for us on Friday nights, which is when this seems like a perfect option, as the doors close at 8.

• Like 1

My spice-timid child loves the meaty Palmer, hold the aoili and the hush puppies. I frequently gravitate towards the chopped pork sandwich, but we often get a bunch of sandwiches and a meat platter to share. This is a wonderful addition, the only caveat is that you have to plan a bit early, at least for us on Friday nights, which is when this seems like a perfect option, as the doors close at 8.

I Opted for the meaty palmer sandwich this time - a smoked turkey and pork belly sandwich with avocado and aioli. Delicious.

My spice-timid child loves the meaty Palmer

So this sandwich carries street cred in my neighborhood so I tried it. Was very optimistic going in, poultry here is outstanding especially the wings and smoked turkey. Could pork belly possibly detract? No. Avocado and jalapeí±o aioli neither. What Eatdceat doesn't mention is a heavily buttered Texas toast on which this sandwich is built. OMG.

Only 7 posts here after nearly 11 months of operation, but this place may be getting it's due. Tim Carman profiled the place last week, and the lines have been out the door since.

And deservedly so. Arriving at 1p on Saturday, we apparently just missed the lines from when they opened at noon, and they were (at least temporarily) completely out of ribs. No worry - we went with the Brisket Champ Sandwich (Sliced brisket with crispy fried onions and house made pickles on Texas toast) and one I don't see on their online menu, a half-smoke sausage topped with brisket chili. Also sides of hushpuppies and fried brussels sprouts.

This is the real deal. I'd previous been a fan of the ribs at both Urban BBQ (inconsistent) and KBQ (haven't been since the re-opening, but have not heard good things). And, though we didn't get to try the ribs here, the brisket is enough to make me forget about all the rest. No other BBQ place in the area is playing in this league. Close your eyes and you're in central Texas - the brisket is that good.

I'd say go now, but it's 11:30pm on a Sunday, and they are closed on Monday. But you should go on Tuesday.

• Like 1

I saw the Carman piece and knew the secret would be out on my favorite neighborhood spot.  It was fun while it lasted......

Any beef ribs/  When I went to Austin the1-2 lb beef ribs were amazing and I need to find them again.

Any beef ribs/  When I went to Austin the1-2 lb beef ribs were amazing and I need to find them again.

No.

Top 15 NEW BBQ restaurants opened in the last year. Not top 15 overall.

sorry, I guess even one of the people who reads them doesn't read them, ha

I'd noticed their storefront several times on my drive down North Cap and wondered what was inside, Friday dinner at Nationals Park consisted of their Big Beef sandwich. OMG - rich and flavorful. This is much better than anything in the Park. I asked for the coleslaw on the slide to keep the sandwich as neat as possible, but next time I'll be sure to have papertowels on hand. Maybe it'll be the sliced brisket sandwich next time...

post-226-0-72852200-1408365526_thumb.jpg

Went last week for the first time and had a great Brisket Champ sandwich (Sliced Brisket with Crispy Fried Onions and House Made pickles on Texas Toast) - really succulent meat on heavily buttered bread.  Good eats. I was less impressed with the hush puppies - tasted very doughy and too salty and IMHO I didn't think dipping them in the maple syrup that came with them added anything but stickiness.  I will definitely go back for more meat, but next time try some other sides. I should have listened to the counterguy who recommened the crispy brussel sprouts.

We had catering from DCity for a party a couple weeks ago. Certainly not cheap (at $200 for 10 lbs of meat I don't know how that compares to other places), but it was all really good. We had chopped pork, brisket, and turkey, and almost none leftover at the end of the night. Came with BBQ sauce and pickles if I recall. We didn't do any sides, but I want to go and try a sandwich with sides some time soon.

We had catering from DCity for a party a couple weeks ago. Certainly not cheap (at $200 for 10 lbs of meat I don't know how that compares to other places), but it was all really good. We had chopped pork, brisket, and turkey, and almost none leftover at the end of the night. Came with BBQ sauce and pickles if I recall. We didn't do any sides, but I want to go and try a sandwich with sides some time soon.

How many people were fed?

Went tonight and was completely disappointed. Everything was over salted or over seasoned- brisket, Brussels sprouts, beans. The brisket was dried out. This was after waiting 30 minutes to get our food. Maybe they were having a bad night, but we won't be going out of our way for this place.

Went tonight and was completely disappointed. Everything was over salted or over seasoned- brisket, Brussels sprouts, beans. The brisket was dried out. This was after waiting 30 minutes to get our food. Maybe they were having a bad night, but we won't be going out of our way for this place.

Wow! This has been on my list for a month or two but hadn't made it yet. Should have tonight but plans got mixed up and we ended up at Beucherts instead (see that thread). Was this the unicorn-like "off day" or is this place in decline already?

Wow! This has been on my list for a month or two but hadn't made it yet. Should have tonight but plans got mixed up and we ended up at Beucherts instead (see that thread). Was this the unicorn-like "off day" or is this place in decline already?

I've had two good experiences at weekday lunch this month.  The brisket was deserving of every superlative on both occasions, and the ribs were very good.  I would have liked less aioli on the Meaty Palmer, but the smoked turkey in the sandwich was outstanding -- smokey and moist and full of flavor.  I haven't enjoyed the sides, though, except for the pickles.

• Like 1

Opening day and Womens' NBA Hoops semis tonight so...BBQ! (with full admiration and respect for all Easter Celebrants, which we celebrated with brunch earlier).

Finally and belatedly crossed a spot off of our "to try" list by ordering some 'Q for a smaller battalion from DCity. I was a little hesitant to do this given the higher stakes today and recently more-mixed reviews.

In three words though, Glad. We. Did.

We took home ribs, brisket, collards, beans and fried onion rings. Here's the rundown.

Ribs. A savory dry rub applied generously to larger, spare ribs yielded nice flavor even without sauce. Good balance of fat to meat yet very meaty and thoroughly moist. Maybe a tad too much salt but really nitpicking to say that.

Brisket. Like the ribs, thumbs up on flavor/smoke, marbling and moisture. Very nice. Someone upthread called the meats, or all dishes here, "adult bbq" and "aggressively seasoned". Definitely agree and thought fine with one exception explained below.

Collards. Bit of a miss only due to the liberal application of red chile powder or flake. Still, the flavors apart from the spice were very good and tasted of slow braising.

Pinto baked beans. OK but maybe too thin and, like the collards, chile powder? This tasted more like a meatless thin chili than a side of baked beans.

Fried onion strings. Very good and easily recrisped at home with 20 minutes in the oven.

For us, this seems one of the better BBQ spots in the District. Not to the level of Andrew Evans at Union Market nearby but very good. I like spice and heat in many cuisines but not so much in collards and baked beans sides. Still, the meats here were very nicely done. Staff all very nice.

This is the real deal. I'd previous been a fan of the ribs at both Urban BBQ (inconsistent) and KBQ (haven't been since the re-opening, but have not heard good things). And, though we didn't get to try the ribs here, the brisket is enough to make me forget about all the rest. No other BBQ place in the area is playing in this league. ...

BBQ places are more challenged than most types of restaurants to ensure consistency but, that qualifier aside, not sure if you've been able to try Andrew Evans' Q at Union Market (aka "The BBQ Joint"), Daniel? If not, you should.

The Brisket Champ may very well be the best takeout sandwich in the District right now.  Only caution is that you will need a nap 30 minutes after consuming it and a side of cumin fries.

Opening day and Womens' NBA Hoops semis tonight so...BBQ! (with full admiration and respect for all Easter Celebrants, which we celebrated with brunch earlier).

Finally and belatedly crossed a spot off of our "to try" list by ordering some 'Q for a smaller battalion from DCity. I was a little hesitant to do this given the higher stakes today and recently more-mixed reviews.

In three words though, Glad. We. Did.

We took home ribs, brisket, collards, beans and fried onion rings. Here's the rundown.

Ribs. A savory dry rub applied generously to larger, spare ribs yielded nice flavor even without sauce. Good balance of fat to meat yet very meaty and thoroughly moist. Maybe a tad too much salt but really nitpicking to say that.

Brisket. Like the ribs, thumbs up on flavor/smoke, marbling and moisture. Very nice. Someone upthread called the meats, or all dishes here, "adult bbq" and "aggressively seasoned". Definitely agree and thought fine with one exception explained below.

Collards. Bit of a miss only due to the liberal application of red chile powder or flake. Still, the flavors apart from the spice were very good and tasted of slow braising.

Pinto baked beans. OK but maybe too thin and, like the collards, chile powder? This tasted more like a meatless thin chili than a side of baked beans.

Fried onion strings. Very good and easily recrisped at home with 20 minutes in the oven.

For us, this seems one of the better BBQ spots in the District. Not to the level of Andrew Evans at Union Market nearby but very good. I like spice and heat in many cuisines but not so much in collards and baked beans sides. Still, the meats here were very nicely done. Staff all very nice.

BBQ places are more challenged than most types of restaurants to ensure consistency but, that qualifier aside, not sure if you've been able to try Andrew Evans' Q at Union Market (aka "The BBQ Joint"), Daniel? If not, you should.

I've got to tell you Andrew Evans' reheated barbecue is nowhere close to being as good as DCity Smokehouse's offerings. I'm willing to write some of that off to the logistical challenges, but very little given the prices.

More than once, I've driven out of my way to go to DCity, and I've found parking spots after long searches. I've even dodged some of the locals who were less than welcoming. On the other hand, I've been to UM on a regular basis, and after my first experience, I've never felt the need to return.

I've got to tell you Andrew Evans' reheated barbecue is nowhere close to being as good as DCity Smokehouse's offerings. I'm willing to write some of that off to the logistical challenges, but very little given the prices.

More than once, I've driven out of my way to go to DCity, and I've found parking spots after long searches. I've even dodged some of the locals who were less than welcoming. On the other hand, I've been to UM on a regular basis, and after my first experience, I've never felt the need to return.

A few thoughts for you.

First, these are opinions, right? Mine is that the Evans' BBQ, which I've had three times, is somewhat better than DCity, which so far I've had just once. More visits to both could change that view but not sure they will for me. Not every post on this thread has been a rave. Rare for any place. All good.

Second, have to react a bit to your use of "reheated" in your 'critique' (putting it nicely) of the 'q at The BBQ Joint/UM. My DCity ribs didn't come straight off a grill or from a smoker. I know because I saw where they were pulled from....ready for it? A warming cabinet. I have zero doubt, knowing where Chef Evans' BBQ comes from (because I talked to him about it) that on any given day and time, the food one has at UM or at DCity could be the fresher one. For reference, Pasadena, MD is about 30-40 min from Union Market.

Third, resume obviously matters much less than what's on the plate but, as I understand it, the excellent (as I posted) DCity is helmed by a former Hill Country pitmaster. Chef Evans, of course, is a trained and accomplished fine-dining chef who has been obsessed with improving and perfecting his BBQ for many years. Did you know he has been competing--and winning--BBQ competitions, on the national circuit, for about ten years; since graduating from the CIA more than 20 years ago? Again, maybe training, experience, wins or even passion don't so much matter to you but they're at least explanatory for me. By that I mean, they help to explain or lend context to what I'm tasting. Many chefs in America are over hyped. In my humblest of opinions, Chef Evans isn't one of them. If at all interested to learn more, can check this out.

Fourth and finally, I of course respect any opinion or preference, even if different from mine. And, if you review my original post with which you took issue, you'll note two things. I really enjoyed DCity. I'm a fan. That said, a main driver of my preference for The BBQ Joint/UM was what I felt was DCity's fairly assertive seasoning on most dishes ordered.

I'll be back to both of these spots more in the future. I think we're lucky to have both in DC. You should, of course, "write off" whatever you like and go where you like.

P.S., Wondering if something is off with your posts or what undisclosed offline loyalties you may have since you've said you only "felt the need" to try the Evans 'q once (just a couple of months ago) and, on that thread, you posted you only had the sausage. So, no brisket? No ribs? Seems an obvious point but pretty tough to compare if you aren't at least trying similar things. If you're going to slam a BBQ place, on two threads, might be cool to support that view with more than a few assertions. That you persevered more for parking by DCity, and heroically "dodged locals," seems a little disconnected from the broad and unsupported assertion made about the cuisine. And, if your food critique is seriously based only on a single link of sausage from the BBQ Joint/UM, may need to do a bit more "research" if the goal is to form a balanced and informed opinion of any kind.