Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Just got home from the opening day lunch.

The space is perhaps twice the size of the original Ray's location (the one that is now Hell Burger.) The decor is pretty close to the current Ray's the Steaks look. The one very good thing is the addition of a bar at East River that will seat perhaps 12 people or so.

Pre-meal you are served a very moist and flavorful jalapeno cornbread with butter and saltines with what they described as "something Wisconsin cheddar cheeze-wizzy," which is a very good description. Think Cheeze-whiz if it were actually good.

Beer battered shrimp were plump and meaty with a very nice texture. Served with an in-house made cocktail sauce (ok to good) and a white creamy sauce with dill, shallots and who knows what else (very, very good.)

For my "entree" I have the twin half-smokes with chili and cheese. Holy cow what a lot of food. Two quite large half-smoke sausages on buns with house made chili and american cheese. While I am pretty darned sure the buns were not house made (correct me if I am wrong) they were quite fresh (it's opening day - they danged well should!) and didn't taste synthetic or "miracle-breadish." The chili was quite nice with big chunks of meat and a melange of beans, tomatoes and spices. A nice combination of flavors. I did wonder what it would have tasted like using the cheeze-whiz stuff from the pre-game instead of the (blech) slices or processed american cheese-like substance.

I grabbed almost unreadable crappy pictures of the menus with my crappy cellphone camera:

Lunch menu here

All in all a heck of a showing for the opening day of a restaurant. Can't wait to come during dinner to try the Smoked Then Fried Chicken!

Can't wait to come during dinner to try the Smoked Then Fried Chicken!

Its quite good, very flavorful and moist.

We arrived just after 8 pm tonight, and while they informed us that this week only they'll be closing at 8 pm, they decided to let us stay for dinner.

I had the aforementioned chicken, which came with an iceberg salad, and two sides. I choose the macaroni and cheese and green beans. My husband went for the petite sirloin, also served with iceberg salad and two sides. He had the baked potato and the creamed corn. The sides, with the exception of the potato, were served in cereal-sized bowls, definitely big enough to share. Both the macaroni and the creamed corn were exceptional, as were our entrees. The chicken consisted of two drumsticks, a thigh, and a breast. We were able to take the breast and a large portion of the mac & cheese and creamed corn home with us.

The best part of the whole meal? We got the bill, and it was $32.

Several people came by to take a look at the menu, and they seemed excited by what they saw. I think this is a great addition to the community, and while they didn't have the full Ray's menu (no hangar steak for instance), I'm quite happy with what was being offered.

Yeah - it seems like a hybrid of the Ray's the Steaks and Classics menu with an emphasis on value. The portion sizes are just ridiculous. I ate my entire meal there (because I am an idiot about food sometimes) but I am not sure I will ever do that again.

I will also say that the folks next to me at the bar got some amazing looking dishes. A pulled pork sandwich that looked to die for. A portabello mushroom sandwich that almost made me think being a vegetarian could be all right. And (most notably) the side dish of "All day greens with smoked turkey necks" which may be the first thing on my list to try next time I am here.

A question for the expert carnivores -- what's the best time to start calling for a spot on the same-day list? Heading to Ray's in Courthouse for Sat night dinner and of course there are no reservations. If we can't get on the call ahead list we'll put our name down and grab a beer across the street. I haven't been in months and I am SO EXCITED. mmm crabbisqueblackenedscallopshangersteakwine

A question for the expert carnivores -- what's the best time to start calling for a spot on the same-day list? Heading to Ray's in Courthouse for Sat night dinner and of course there are no reservations. If we can't get on the call ahead list we'll put our name down and grab a beer across the street. I haven't been in months and I am SO EXCITED. mmm crabbisqueblackenedscallopshangersteakwine

They actually do accept reservations in the "new" Courthouse space.

They do, but when I called on Tuesday they were already booked for Saturday evening.

To follow up on my own question -- I put my name down at 7 and our party of four was seated just before 8:30. The food, wine, and service was excellent, as always, and we did not feel rushed at all. I had the skirt steak special, which was very flavorful and was accompanied by some grilled onions and the chimmichurri-like sauce that comes with the brazilian strip. Thank you Michael, Mark, and the whole crew for continuing to run such a special establishment.

I had the skirt steak special, which was very flavorful and was accompanied by some grilled onions and the chimmichurri-like sauce that comes with the brazilian strip.

I had this last night, and it was the highlight of the meal by far. At $14.99, it was priced fully five dollars below other comparable skirt steaks in the area - it was also notable for its thicker cut. The Flat Iron Steak, which I've had 2-3 times in the past, was not quite up to previous standards despite the generous portion. Likewise the crab bisque which was sweeter and had an uneven heat distribution. The sides were as they tend to be.

If the skirt steak is a special, get it.

Cheers,

Rocks

I had the skirt steak special, which was very flavorful and was accompanied by some grilled onions and the chimmichurri-like sauce that comes with the brazilian strip.

I think this is the preparation that is standard on the menu at East River, but I may not be remembering right (maybe DanielK will confirm or refute for me). :lol:

I think this is the preparation that is standard on the menu at East River, but I may not be remembering right (maybe DanielK will confirm or refute for me). :lol:

It's slightly different - look about 10 posts upstream for the East River menu photos.

Maybe it is time to split the two restaurants off into different threads, which despite their commonalities, are two very, very different restaurants.

East River, which despite a shaky start (for me) is a restaurant I am truly, deeply, and madly in love with, is beginning to show the promise of all I have ever dreamed of. Anyone who has been there over the past week will know exactly what I mean. The work has been started, but by no means is over.

Ray's: The Steaks, which is something we have all come to like or love (or at least come to depend on, for better or worse), despite my best efforts to the contrary, can only become a vector through which to find the cracks of fault-lines--even if the changes are negligible or noticeable to only the most discerning of critics. I hope--and fault me if I am wrong--nothing can shake that foundation.

In either case, I have never felt more excitement, or challenge, than what this new project has demanded of me and my team. Or ever more promise in what the future holds, together with the strength that the DR community has given me.

Thank you. And if I haven't said it before, if it wasn't for your collective vision and dissent, I could do nothing.

Its quite good, very flavorful and moist.

We arrived just after 8 pm tonight, and while they informed us that this week only they'll be closing at 8 pm, they decided to let us stay for dinner.

I had the aforementioned chicken, which came with an iceberg salad, and two sides. I choose the macaroni and cheese and green beans. My husband went for the petite sirloin, also served with iceberg salad and two sides. He had the baked potato and the creamed corn. The sides, with the exception of the potato, were served in cereal-sized bowls, definitely big enough to share. Both the macaroni and the creamed corn were exceptional, as were our entrees. The chicken consisted of two drumsticks, a thigh, and a breast. We were able to take the breast and a large portion of the mac & cheese and creamed corn home with us.

The best part of the whole meal? We got the bill, and it was $32.

Several people came by to take a look at the menu, and they seemed excited by what they saw. I think this is a great addition to the community, and while they didn't have the full Ray's menu (no hangar steak for instance), I'm quite happy with what was being offered.

Another +1 for the Smoked Fried Chicken. Tried it this past weekend [along with accompanying salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette and the creamed corn + the collard greens as sides]. I really liked the subtle smoky flavor, only slightly wished for a mild spiciness / heat to accompany it [add it to the brine?]. I promptly devoured the whole damn thing [wooh, I was stuffed]. Danielle was working the bar at that time & was impressed lol :lol:

A Glass of Pinot Noir, a bottled Heineken along with the Chicken came out to around $24, a real nice value. Just starting a new gig around Navy Yard, I'm happy to add the East River location to my dining rotation.

My wife and I went to the Arlington location last night and had an amazing meal. Had 7:30 reservations and were seated a little after our slot - the service was efficient and friendly and did not feel rushed. Ordered the blackened scallops and the crab bisque for starters and they were superb. The steaks (Diablo and Flat Iron) were so flavorful, tender and seasoned well. Key lime pie to share for dessert and along with a few glasses of the house right bank Bordeaux and a cherry soda - all under 80 bucks including tax. Possibly the best dining value in NoVA, and flat out great food, we'll be back again very soon!

We had left overs to take home and when I opened the containers to put into gladware, I noticed our server had topped off our spinach and mashed potatoes. Who does that? Just amazing. :lol:

I'm curious about what may be a policy. Called last night around six, hoping that there would be a table but expecting there to be a wait. No table until ten but walk-ins available and so, given that Ray's involves a sometimes tedious driving route through Georgetown I asked for a guesstimate of the wait. And was told "I can't do that over the phone." Why? Damn inconvenient, given the wide variety of possible waits (at 6PM, I figure it could have been anything from ten minutes to two hours) and the hassle factor involved in getting over there. I mean, given my lack of planning ability I regularly call crowded places up to see how long the wait might be and have never sued anyone for being imprecise.

Seemed a bit dickish -- not to suggest that the whole Ray's empire is dickish -- to me.

Or did I mis-understand, and they just don't give out estimates, period?

So we called another place, they said we have a few seats open but it's filling fast, and we went there.

I mean, given my lack of planning ability I regularly call crowded places up to see how long the wait might be and have never sued anyone for being imprecise.

I would imagine it's b/c you're in the very small minority of folks that wouldn't get bent out of shape if you were told 45 minutes for a wait and it ended up being 90. While personally I wouldn't care, I can see how the majority of folks who visit would see it as a "promise" that their wait would only be a certain amount of time.

I would imagine it's b/c you're in the very small minority of folks that wouldn't get bent out of shape if you were told 45 minutes for a wait and it ended up being 90. While personally I wouldn't care, I can see how the majority of folks who visit would see it as a "promise" that their wait would only be a certain amount of time.

Why, then, the implication that an estimate could be given if I was there in person, but not over the phone?

And, again, if I misread the situation -- I wasn't in the mood to get all cross-examiny on the phone-answerer -- I retract the whole question.

Why, then, the implication that an estimate could be given if I was there in person, but not over the phone?

And, again, if I misread the situation -- I wasn't in the mood to get all cross-examiny on the phone-answerer -- I retract the whole question.

My guess is that they have Caller ID. :lol:

Because if you're there, you get an estimate that's applicable right when you start waiting. If you're talking over the phone, you're getting an estimate that's applicable then, but if ten parties arrive in short succession right after that, you're going to be looking at a longer wait than you were quoted.

I can see how the majority of folks who visit would see it as a "promise" that their wait would only be a certain amount of time.

Because they have no idea how long it will take you get there?

...given that Ray's involves a sometimes tedious driving route through Georgetown...

Do you really expect them to tell you, "If you arrive in 20 minutes, I now estimate the wait will then be 45 minutes, but if you don't arrive for 40 minutes, I now estimate the wait will then be 60 minutes"? Goodness only knows what will happen between now and whenever you arrive to affect the wait you ask them at 6 pm to be able to predict. Being advised a place is booked until a certain time should give you all the info you need to decide whether you want to attempt it. So unless you were given an attitude, I vote not dickish.

Because they have no idea how long it will take you get there?

Do you really expect them to tell you, "If you arrive in 20 minutes, I now estimate the wait will then be 45 minutes, but if you don't arrive for 40 minutes, I now estimate the wait will then be 60 minutes"? Goodness only knows what will happen between now and whenever you arrive to affect the wait you ask them at 6 pm to be able to predict. Being advised a place is booked until a certain time should give you all the info you need to decide whether you want to attempt it. So unless you were given an attitude, I vote not dickish.

No, I expect them so say something to the effect of "it's a twenty minute wait right now, but it's likely to get longer." This is not a question I haven't asked other restaurants. Nor do I expect absolute precision -- "there are only couple of tables in line right now" or "the line's already around the corner" are also useful data points. I'm just looking for a hint before I commit to a potential two-hour journey from house to appetizer.

Maybe it is time to split the two restaurants off into different threads, which despite their commonalities, are two very, very different restaurants.

Seconded. I've been three times now, and there's almost no comparison other than they're both Landrum joints. There's nearly no menu overlap, the service is different, the audience is different, the mission is different. There's even stuff on the walls!

Service is quite friendly at East River, though not as polished as RTS/RTC. Part of this is because the staff is new, but some of is is clearly just the different mission of the joint. The door is opened for you from the outside, and you're immediately greeted at the host stand at the front.

Once seated, water is there in seconds, but instead of spicy cashews and bread, it's mini jalapeño corn muffins (moist, tasting of corn, but no discernible kick from the jalapeños) and a taste of what seems to be a riff on Hawaiian bread.

Sandwiches come with two sides (entrees come with a salad and two sides). So far we've gone through the fries and sweet potato fries (both very good), and collards (too smoky on my one try). Green salads were fresh tasting and generously plated.

On one visit, I tried the prime rib. A very good quality and taste (no surprise), and a huge cut for a tiny price. I found the crust oddly sweet, but don't know if I just got a too-large helping of the outside, it's not to my taste, or they're still adjusting the recipe. The burgers translate over just fine. The chili on the half smokes was excellent, and the half smokes good, but they might need to be split before being grilled. Mine had a nice char, but were barely lukewarm in the center, and seemed to be missing a bit of "snap" in the casing.

It's a 2 minute drive to RFK from East River, so this will be a regular stop of mine on the way into the stadium.

Is the dinner menu available anywhere? I swear there was a photo of it here, but I can't find it now to save my life.

I had posted a dinner menu from the opening day. Being the opening day, there was a typo that seemed to indicate it was a lunch menu. It was in fact the dinner menu, but alas it has been removed. I am reposting it here but I am sure it has evolved a bit since then. (Seriously this is not the lunch menu, unless the staff lied to me, which is possible. They are tricksy.)

I had posted a dinner menu from the opening day. Being the opening day, there was a typo that seemed to indicate it was a lunch menu. It was in fact the dinner menu, but alas it has been removed. I am reposting it here but I am sure it has evolved a bit since then. (Seriously this is not the lunch menu, unless the staff lied to me, which is possible. They are tricksy.)

It's lunch. When DanielK and I went, this is the menu I was given, along with the sandwiches, but he had a different menu, the dinner one. It also has the sandwiches, but has a few more options for sides with dinner; the prime rib; and prices are a dollar or two more per item (but dinner entrees come with salad and two sides instead of just two sides).

The fam have lunched there several times now, and we do enjoy it. I'll probably get the smoked fried chicken every other time I go, it is really good.

I do feel it is a different place than the other locations. Maybe it is just a lunch thing, but I really don't think the portions are the same. For instance, I was really excited to try the Obama burger in a civilized, relaxed setting. For $8, you get the burger and two sides which is more than reasonable. However, the burger here is half or 2/3rds the size of those at Hellsburger. Sure, you get two sides here instead so there's plenty of food. But, I do think the bigger Hellsburger is juicer and cooks better, so it's not the same experience.

In general, I don't expect to leave RTS-DC's lunch with leftovers. You won't leave hungry for $16, but it doesn't seem to me to be an insane amount of food, which is a terrible idea anyways I suppose. When I've left RTS-VA, I felt they've given me an insane amount of food ($25 weekday special). EDIT: I've never left RTS-VA thinking having delicious leftovers was a terrible idea, but lack of food isn't an issue with me nowadays.

The battered fried shrimp appetizer is the way to go, 5 large ones for $8. Again, the organic smoked-fried chicken (2 drumsticks and thigh) is the way to go for $9! If Rocks thought Mad for Chicken could make a killing doing $20 carry-out orders, RTS could clean up doing the same thing . . . except they don't do it carry-out. Scratch my idea for the perfect picnic meal.

The service could use more practice with Micros and getting their routines down. However, they are super friendly and make us feel welcome everytime, which is the foundation you want to build upon.

Edited by DaRiv18

If Rocks thought Mad for Chicken could make a killing doing $20 carry-out orders, RTS could clean up doing the same thing . . . except they don't do it carry-out. Scratch my idea for the perfect picnic meal.

I had lunch at the bar today, and watched several people get take-out orders.

I'm not sure if the burgers were smaller, but tonight was the second one in a row that was cooked slightly past medium when medium-rare was requested.

Smoked fried chicken was very good, though the breast was ever so slightly dry, and the sauces on the side completely forgettable (and unnecessary).

Smoked fried chicken was very good, though the breast was ever so slightly dry, and the sauces on the side completely forgettable (and unnecessary).

Agree. I also didn't use the sauces for my dark meat order (although it definitely wasn't dry either).

Last Monday at the Courthouse location:

Delicious focaccia bread. Spiced cashews. Two cups of the best soup in the world (crab bisque). Two huge (way larger than the advertised 10 ounces) top sirloin steaks. Mashed potatoes, creamed spinach. One of the best desserts I've had in years (key lime pie with strawberries, and I don't even like key lime pie at all), on the house for no reason. Two huge glasses of wine. Two Boylan's sodas.

$50.14.

This is the best restaurant deal on the entire planet, and the best restaurant in the Commonwealth, in my book. Kudos.

Went to RTS near Courthouse for the first time last night and WOW! Just a downright excellent meal. My friend and I started with the deviled eggs which are truly sinful - and different since they are topped with steak tartare. We both really enjoyed them and I'd recommend them to anyone looking to try something different. For entrees, he got the steak diablo and I had the hanger steak. They were both so good we ended up sharing half and half. While the diablo was a really nice cut of meat with a slight spiciness from the diablo marinade, it just didn't compare to the flavorful kick of the hanger steak. The hanger steak was definitely not for people who like really tender meat (those who love filet mignon), but if you don't mind a little chewiness - it has a great beefy flavor. I should mention that my friend thought the grilled onions that come with the diablo added a lot to the dish, but I thought they were only ok - nice to have the onion sweetness cut the chipotle spice. I'm curious if the hanger steak had any type of rub or seasoning on it besides salt and pepper - the charred crust on the outside was so tasty. Anyone know? Another nice, but not necessary addition was the brandied mushroom cream sauce I ordered on the side - went really well with the hanger still. This sauce is probably great on any cut or even type of meat.

The free sides of mashed potatos and creamed spinach were welcome. However, I thought the potatos were not great - maybe it is just me but they tasted like instant spuds. The creamed spinach was much better and a fine example.

Because it was my bud's birthday we had to indulge in some dessert. He is a pie man and thoroughly enjoyed the key lime. I was able to sneak a bite and it was worthy of its good reputation. I had the dark chocolate mousse which was really good and super rich. A huge portion too - definitely shareable for 2 and probably better without all of the whipped cream. The other nice dessert touch was the freebie for the birthday boy. I casually mentioned it was his birthday to our server when we ordered. I was actually hoping they'd just put a candle in it - but making it gratis was welcome. (although there was no candle - guess I should have been more specific).

The prices were great and all non-steak portions very generous. My great glass of malbec was almost filled to the brim and only $5 - great deal. The steak portions were just right - big enough for a hearty appetite but not gargantuan that you'd get meat sweats from eating it all. Great experience all around. Can't wait to go back!

Another convert is assimilated into the collective. Resistance is futile.

Next time you go get the House Special (16 oz. pepper crusted NY Strip with the Brandy Mushroom Cream sauce and blue cheese crumbles on top.) You will not be sorry.

Can you descibe the smoked prime rib a little? I am curious how it is different than a standard prime rib.

Had this tonight and it was excellent. I asked how it was prepared and it is smoked for 2 hours then roasted as normal.

The fried smoked chicken is pretty damn good too, not to mention the greens.

With the different menu this place will certainly be in the rotation.

Lunch at East River this afternoon was my first non-Hell Burger adventure within the Ray’s empire, and it’s got me eager to return for dinner. At around 1 PM, the place had a larger late lunch crowd than I expected – probably around 25 people – and it only grew through the course of my meal.

Food wise, I’d been looking forward to the cornbread that greeted us, and was pretty satisfied. Fresh and super moist, for sure, though I didn’t really notice any punch from the expected jalapeno. Although my mind was pretty much made up to go for the crab cake, I was also struggling with a meat craving. Unable to allow myself to get what I’d had before – a hell burger – I went for a cup of chili instead. Really impressive: full of flavor, just enough spice, actual chunks of meat within (rather than just ground beef), and topped off with a nice dollop of sour cream. At first glance, it didn’t seem like a particularly generous portion for $4.95, but given its contents and quality, I was happy.

Even if I hadn’t fed my hunger for beef, I’d probably have been completely happy with the crab cake sandwich that followed. The no-filler crab cake was just that: browned up (I assume, based on the awesome flavor) in butter, it had a very thin crust that gave way to pure, creamy, addicting crab meat. It wasn’t particularly thick, but it wasat least 6 inches in diameter, and served on a hilariously small slider/dinner roll sized potato bun. 50% of the cake spilled over the edges, but that was a good thing: more of that crab, and less bread getting in the way, yields contentment. The accompanying tartar sauce was really great (I normally find that particularly condiment bland and unnecessary), and although the vegetable of the day – green beans – were kind of forgettable, and served slightly cool, the sweet potato fries were hot, crisp, and delicious. That sandwich alone – with neither of the two included sides – is easily worth the $10.95 I paid for the whole meal.

The staff was attentive, enthusiastic, and most importantly, effective: requests were taken care of quickly, waters were always full, and orders were wholly accurate (which impressed me simply because each of my two friends got 5 + toppings on their burgers). The service, coupled with the promise of dishes like the fried chicken, and of course the steaks, are sure to inspire a return visit soon.

Tried to go to East River this past Sunday for Mother's Day Observed, called at 6:00 to make a reservation for 8:00 and was told that no reservation was necessary and I thought the lady said "because we're open" and I definitely asked, "do you mean that you're not full now?" and she said yes.

On the way there, decided to call again to make sure and was told that they were closing at 8:00. I have no idea whether this was out of the blue or somehow a failure to communicate but I tend to be rather good at communication.

So anyway, we went to Ray's in Arlington and had a wonderful time, as always.

Memo to self, when going to East River, go early?

Went to RTS Arlington last night. Do ask about the Petite Sirah -- possibly the best $40 bottle of red (restaurant price) I've ever had. Thanks, Mark.

I am also told that if you can hold off on the diablo sauce, there is an ocean of underappreciated Bordeaux waiting to be decanted. Heading for the Gazin next time, myself, with a bit of lamb, but there are less elitist options as well.

Well, my parents are now converts, but they are from New Jersey, FWIW. :lol: The red wine pours by the glass were generous, IMHO. I have more internet acronyms to use, but I DGARA. Court House.

Finally made it to East River last night and for the most part liked what I experienced. They couldn't have been more friendly to start off, from someone opening the door, to 2-3 people welcoming us, to being seated immediately. Unfortunately, some of the service dropped off after that. The busboy and water refiller were amazing and way on top of everything, but after our food arrived our server disappeared and we had to steal ketchup from another table. After waiting about 15 min after we finished eating we were able to flag someone down to bring a box for my leftovers and also asked for the check. After another good 15 min the same guy realized we still didn't have our check and went to get it. We didn't expect anything (attributing most of it to being a new-ish restaurant and training of new servers), but our bottle of wine was comped, which was appreciated.

The +1 and I definitely overordered (which we knew we were doing in planning for leftovers) and both started with the crab bisque. Nothing more to say that hasn't been said, but it's definitely as creamy and full of crab as at other locations. A cup really is the perfect size because I think a bowl would just be overly rich and filling. The dinner rolls we were served were good (the butter was stellar - smooth and sweet), but we did see cornbread come to some table seated after us, so I'd like to try that on the next trip. The salads that came with our entrees were adequate (iceburg, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and a little red onion and carrot) but I could've done without. I didn't really like the bleu cheese dressing, but the +1's balsamic wasn't bad.

The smoked fried chicken dinner is really ridiculous. It's billed as a half chicken (but with a breast, thigh, wing and TWO drumsticks), but mine came with 6 pieces (an extra thigh). By the time it was served I was already getting full, so I only ate one drumstick, gave one to the +1 and brought home 4 good-sized pieces for dinner tonight. The sides are also generous and I enjoyed the greens and sweet potato fries (and look forward to leftovers of those as well). Anyone know what that spicy dipping sauce is that's served with the chicken? It definitely has quite a kick. The +1 had the middle size of the smoked prime rib and ate almost all of it. The bite I had certainly delivered on the smokiness. He declared the mac and cheese fine, but nothing special, although he really liked the green beans (they were surprisingly more like haricot verts than the slow-cooked green beans I imagined Ray's would serve).

We were both way too full for dessert, but they all sounded good. I think in the future I'd be inclined to either split an entree or stick to the burgers and sandwiches (which looked good going to other tables and are served with 2 sides). Everything is incredibly affordable (including the wine). When we walked in around 6:20 we were one of only 3-4 tables seated, but by the time we left there was only maybe 1 table empty. Definitely a good Tuesday night crowd.

In general, I don't expect to leave RTS-DC's lunch with leftovers. You won't leave hungry for $16, but it doesn't seem to me to be an insane amount of food

After dinner tonight, I can say that the above does not apply outside the lunch service. With orders of the smoked fried chicken and the King size smoked prime rib, we left with leftovers aplenty.

The smoked fried chicken dinner is really ridiculous. . . The sides are also generous . . . [The +1] really liked the green beans (they were surprisingly more like haricot verts than the slow-cooked green beans I imagined Ray's would serve).

We had the same. The smoked fried chicken, particularly the thigh, is my favorite dish of 2010.

The sides are consistently described as generous on this thread. I guess so. Each side is a 3 or 4 ounce serving, which is by no means stingy, but not the opposite in my book. EDIT: I forgot, you'll get quite a bit of fries, actually, if that's your side.

Tonight, we also were served haricot verts; my wife had previously sampled them for lunch on their 2nd day after opening. But in three previous visits, we have been served something closer to slow-cooked large green beans.

These are minor observations meant to clarify and not criticize. What I do hope for is that the huge gap between the wine program here and the one at the Courthouse location is eventually closed.

But the folks who work here are just as good as a glass of wine at getting me "out of my box". The warmth of the servers here always wakes me up, and again we had a fun time here tonight.

Edited by DaRiv18

The smoked fried chicken, particularly the thigh, is my favorite dish of 2010.

Wait, really? East River's been high on my to-do list for a while, but if the smoked fried chicken is really this good, it's moving from "I should make it out there sometime" to "I should make it out there next week."