Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Hey gang,

I know Michael put the vegetarian entree back on the menu at RTS, but can you remind me what else there is to eat for the non steakatarians? I'm trying to convince a dear friend that there will be some choices for her. There's also the crab bisque and...diablo seafood of some sort?

Thanks!

RTS serves both shrimp and scallops in multiple ways, and both are available as either appetizer or entree size. You can get the scallops grilled, blackened, and one or two other ways. I love me the blackened scallops. The shrimp are grilled either diablo or white wine/garlic/herbs. My wife gets the shrimp when we go (she's a non-steak person) and likes it enough that we eat there regularly.

Also the mixed green salad is much improved over the early days at Ray's.

A Jesuit friend and I had a holy feast Thursday night: We started with clam chowder (for him) and sherried crab bisque for me. Then we split an order of blackened scallops. I guess they blackened them too much the first time, because there was a lengthy delay while they did them over. Then we both had the bertolucci cut, $28.99 (which I believe Michael has described as "calotte") and which comes with an enormous split bone bursting with delicous roasted marrow. The cleric had a couple of sodas along the way and we had cheesecake and key lime pie for finishers. That, plus coffee, tea, the obligatory hot choclate demitasse and of course parking, not to mention a healthy take home head start on my lunch today. The priest said he couldn't remember having a better meal. I doubt that the round collar made any difference, but I was pleased by the humility of the bill. Praise the Lord! And by the way, the place was teeming on a Thursday night. There was a crowd forming at the door when we left. The room in the back, described by the waiter as "the VIP section" has tinny acoustics, no tablecloths and uncomfortable chairs. They were nice enough to bring a cushioned chair from the other room when I requested it.

Also salmon diablo.... that's how I get my non-beef eating wife-to-be to go.

My husband - non-steaker - had the scallops and loved them, my friend who shall eat no mammals had the crabcake, which was basically a scoop of lump crab. I almost stole it from her it looked so good, and she made it disappear quick.

If they could make Ray's into a movie, there should be a Guy Ritchie theme involved, except it would probably be called Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Wheelbarrows, instead, because you eat the stock and then need a wheelbarrow to lug ye out.

Mr. Slater is definitely to Ray's what icing does to cake -- the gold star of it all. Mark really lights the room up and made my two dining companions driving straight from Chicago feel right at home and at ease. (They were stuck on the beltway fer an hour tonight...) 1 NY Strip and 1 Blue Devil (plus the super-duper-extra creamy mashed potatoes) later, I have two saturated, food coma folks camping out, amazed by the attentiveness provided through Mark's warm smile.

If you can take advantage of their wine sales program, I certainly would if not for my genetics - the selections to price ratio is sweet - and all of it is amazing to me. The fact that the new venture is pretty much right across the street adds to the excitement.

On a night with big, white, fluffy snowflakes that remind you of being inside a snow globe, it is all a good, wonderful life.

I don't really get what the point is of posting about Ray's anymore. It's not like they need the business, and there's really nothing to say that hasn't been said a hundred times already. Anyone I would want to thank I've already thanked in person. I guess I'll just keep this short:

If you haven't already, try the:

1) Flat iron (gushingly juicy and flavorful)

2) Bertolucci (thrills me to the <marrow> BONE)

Thanks to Mark for a phenomenal start to my birthday week.

I don't really get what the point is of posting about Ray's anymore. It's not like they need the business, and there's really nothing to say that hasn't been said a hundred times already. Anyone I would want to thank I've already thanked in person. I guess I'll just keep this short:

If you haven't already, try the:

1) Flat iron (gushingly juicy and flavorful)

2) Bertolucci (thrills me to the <marrow> BONE)

Thanks to Mark for a phenomenal start to my birthday week.

What he and Goodeats said. Apparently, there were a bunch of us in the snowy but busy house last night. As Dan noted, it's not like Michael needs them, but I made Ray's two more fans, just because it's so damned easy. Big thanks for spiking the menu with plenty of seafood items, because now I am full of win(e) and steak. Yay!

Actually, I don't know why i haven't asked this, and I apologize if it's been asked: if you've already gone to (and thoroughly enjoyed everything about) Ray's the Classics, is there any reason to make the (for me) inconvenient trip to Ray's the Steaks?

Mark Slater Seriously, he will show you things in the wine world you had no idea existed.

Also, the variety of cuts and preparations at Ray's the Steaks is really quite wide, and I personally think they do a better job even on basic cuts (particularly NY Strip) than at Ray's the Classics.

Mark Slater Seriously, he will show you things in the wine world you had no idea existed.

Also, the variety of cuts and preparations at Ray's the Steaks is really quite wide, and I personally think they do a better job even on basic cuts (particularly NY Strip) than at Ray's the Classics.

Is there a coralary then? If you live in MoC, but you're willing to trek to Ray's the Steaks because, truely, Mark is so worth that drive; is there a reason to go to Ray's the Classics instead? Since I understand the fried chicken is off the menu, I can't imagine why I would go to RTC instead of RTS.

Is there a coralary then? If you live in MoC, but you're willing to trek to Ray's the Steaks because, truely, Mark is so worth that drive; is there a reason to go to Ray's the Classics instead? Since I understand the fried chicken is off the menu, I can't imagine why I would go to RTC instead of RTS.

Liquor :angry:

I believe the bistro special is more extensive at RTC (it might also be offered more often, though I'm not sure about that). I also tend to find the atmosphere at RTC to be a little quieter, though that might just be me.

Because they serve the Hell-Burger at the bar.

When will his new Seafood place be opening?

From the Ray's the Basics thread:

Ray's The Catch (NOT OPEN YET)

1725 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22209

(In the original Ray's The Steaks location, was originally going to be called Ray's The Net)

Opening contingent on when Ray's Hell-Burger moves to its new location <------------------ emphasis mine

But you can get the full Hell-Burger experience in Arlington - really not much of an argument to make the hellacious trek to Silver Spring.

I'll take my hell (burger) that is, in Silver Spring, thank you. The trek to Silver Spring is a breeze on the Metro, and a short walk over to RTC. AFI is across the street, and the Fillmore is soon to be next door. OTOH, my experience with the trek from DC over into Arlington in rush hour has been hellish. :angry:

But you can get the full Hell-Burger experience in Arlington - really not much of an argument to make the hellacious trek to Silver Spring.

If you live closer to Arlington, sure. However, since the poster who was asking lives in Montgomery County, Silver Spring would (presumably) be a less hellacious trek than Arlington would be.

If you live closer to Arlington, sure. However, since the poster who was asking lives in Montgomery County, Silver Spring would (presumably) be a less hellacious trek than Arlington would be.

Actually I believe this was in response to a counter question:

from someone on the Virginia side of things asking if there was anything unique enough at RTC to entice us to drive up there.

One interesting thing that I have noticed about Ray's is that if you take someone there for the first time, no matter how picky an eater they might be, they clean their plate off completely because they never had food as good. I, having been there many time, take half of the food home to have two enjoyable meals.

One interesting thing that I have noticed about Ray's is that if you take someone there for the first time, no matter how picky an eater they might be, they clean their plate off completely because they never had food as good. I, having been there many time, take half of the food home to have two enjoyable meals.

I took someone there a couple of years ago and when she finished said, "that it was the first I can remember eating an entire steak in one sitting."

Does Ray's have a crab quota in its cups of bisque? They have always been very generous, but on a visit two Sundays ago, the ratio was insane -- the cup was about 60-70% percent crab. Here is a $5 cup of the most delicious soup on Earth, and my helping contained more crab than most restaurants' crabcake dinners. It's great to see the flat iron on the menu. This was my first time eating Ray's version and it didn't disappoint. I wonder if they can do other preparations besides the bourbon/molasses glaze?

My wife and I and our 8 year old son went to Ray's on Saturday night right after the snow storm ended. The food was terrific as usual. What was special about the evening, besides knowing that all the patrons in the restaurant walked there, was that it was the first time we took our son to a "grown up" restaurant. He was treated extremely nicely by the staff and we all had a wonderful meal. Thank you Ray's for an evening my son (and his parents) will remember for a long time.

Friday night we were supposed to go with my boyfriend's parents visiting from NJ, but they decided not to come down with the impending Snowpocalypse event, so we invited two friends instead. It was most definitely worth the trudge through the snow and I wanted to especially thank Mark Slater for his wonderful wine advice! The +1 and I aren't big red drinkers usually, but do like to drink it with red meat and Mark was extremely helpful recommending a couple different bottles to please both us and our two friends (who do drink more reds). I of course can't remember the names, but one was a blend with a drawing of four kids on the front and the other was a "spicy" Spanish wine with a bird on the label. The "Bertolucci" was indeed indulgent and delicious (and the leftovers were just as tasty when we were snowed in). The best part is that the parents are coming down this coming weekend now so we'll be back this Friday too!

ETA:

The wines were:

Familia Mayol "Cuatro Primos" Malbec blend 2007 Mendoza, Argentina

Bodegas del Jaro "Sembro" 2007 Ribera del Duero, Spain

I'm taking my best friend's parents to RTS tonight. I figured it was a "safe" choice and they definitely like steak, but I now recall that 1) she likes her steaks medium well - well done, and 2) RTS's menu says there are certain cuts they won't cook to those temps.

Anyone know offhand which steaks are available for her? I want to manage her expectations before we get there. I know this isn't a hard-core foodie question but thanks for helping me play host.

I have a question that might come off a bit snarky, but I'll ask all the same.

Why would you take someone to Ray's who wants their meat cooked until grey? I guess I'm not sure that this type of person would even understand why RTS is better than other steak joints because the meat all winds up tasting the same to me when MW or Well (read: overdone). Ray's quality shines through for me when you can still taste the actual meat, which happens in the Rare to Medium range. I might come across as a dick saying this, but why not just take your friend and her parents somewhere like Harry's Tap Room or Boulevard Woodgrill where you can get a steak done well for cheaper as well as have some other options for food for the group to choose from?

If you are set on going to RTS, though, I'm pretty sure that the only steaks I've seen that say that you have to get them R or MR were the hangar and filet. I'm sure that they would cook the Entrecote or the fajita dish well done for you. The short rib steak might also be an option, as that is a little different in regards to texture and cooking than the other traditional steaks on the menu.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Anyone know offhand which steaks are available for her? I want to manage her expectations before we get there. I know this isn't a hard-core foodie question but thanks for helping me play host.

I know they will butterfly the fillet and cook it WD.

I guess I'm not sure that this type of person would even understand why RTS is better than other steak joints because the meat all winds up tasting the same to me when MW or Well (read: overdone). Ray's quality shines through for me when you can still taste the actual meat, which happens in the Rare to Medium range.

I think the key is determining what "Ray's quality" means to a person. When my mom comes to visit, she loves going to Ray's and she will only eat her steaks WD. The ambiance, the location, the great service from Mark and the staff, and the quality of each item on the menu all show "Ray's quality." If you're basing it solely on the taste of the steaks, you can go to a great butcher and cook the meat yourself, then why even go to Ray's in the first place?

If you're basing it solely on the taste of the steaks, you can go to a great butcher and cook the meat yourself, then why even go to Ray's in the first place?

If you know of such a butcher and can truly get a comparable quality steak for a better price than the ones at Ray's (which includes free mashed potatoes and spinach), I would love to have his or her name. The good outlets I've seen for meat (Let's Meat on the Avenue, Eastern Market, etc) typically do not beat Ray's prices by more than a dollar or two. This also ignores the fact that I do not have a grill that gets as hot as the one they have at Ray's (for that incredible char) nor can I make a sauce as good as the mushroom brandy or horseradish cream.

Also, point taken about ambiance and service, which are admittedly very good to excellent.

I have a question that might come off a bit snarky, but I'll ask all the same.

Why would you take someone to Ray's who wants their meat cooked until grey?

It may be too late for the OP to answer, but it sounded as though the trip was already planned and OP realized at nearly the last minute that one of the group likes beef well-done. It might be too difficult to shuffle things this late.

Not that this matters too much, but our party was actually my family (me, wife and daughter) and my best friend's parents (mom and dad). I said "she" instead of "my best friend's mom" (which I admit was very confusing) as the one who will only eat well-done.

I know they will butterfly the fillet and cook it WD.

Thanks Marshall! I suggested this to my best friend's mom, but she ended up going for the salmon special ;)

Why would you take someone to Ray's who wants their meat cooked until grey?

While the most truthful answer would be in the "because it's all about ME" genre, I will instead point out that every time they come into town, we end up going to some insipid chain restaurant and spending pretty much the same money as we would at Ray's!

BTW, my best friend's dad LOVED his hanger steak, as did my wife and myself (as usual). While best friend's mom may not recognize beef quality (I'll play along with you on this stipulation), she certainly recognizes value, and we all had a really good time.

Pat is right, I did make reservations, there wasn't too much time to change course, AND I was deadset against changing course for mediocre asian-fusion whatever.

Sidenote, I was railroaded into getting the $5 Argentine malbec by said best friend mom, and ended up feeling that she had done me a huge favor.

When Jason and I were in town for our honeymoon over NYE, we didn't get a chance to eat at Ray's. Well, I remedied that grave error when I was in town for business earlier this month, and the worst thing about it was that I knew I'd have to wait so long for the next visit. There is truly nothing like Ray's anywhere else, at least not that I've encountered.

The Sunday special was tempting, but I knew I wouldn't have room for dessert, so I just ordered my own app and entree. The crab bisque is as good as it's ever been, with huge pieces of crab and a flavor that is simultaneously rich and delicate. The hanger steak (rare) with the sauteed garlic - SO GOOD. I ate as much of it as I could stand and then took the rest home, and then I cursed myself for leaving it in my friend's fridge. I hope she appreciated the gift.

My only minor quibble was service. One of the tables in our server's section was VERY high-maintenance - one of those couples that doesn't seem to understand that there are many, many other diners all around them who also need attention. They were really dominating our server's time, to the point that she spent barely any with us (she took our order and brought our check, but there wasn't much other interaction). Having been a server for many years, I get how difficult it is to break away from a table like that - and it wasn't a huge deal, because the other staff who attended to us were swell - but damned if we didn't shoot some dirty looks in the direction of that table (we were far more annoyed with the couple than we were with our server).

The new space is HUGE, and it was totally packed! As usual, an amazing meal for an amazing value - DC is lucky to have a place like Ray's.

Finally got back to Ray's last night determined to try the Monday Blues Special. Even with the high expectations we all have for this dining jewel in Arlington, the meal was just flat out outstanding. The "Tuscan Top Sirloin' was - as always - a perfectly cooked medium rare, with a small mound of roasted garlic buds on the side and a line of sauce underlining the steak for dipping purposes. The recommended glass of wine matched the meal perfectly.

Even eating lightly during the day to prepare for my dinner, I couldn't finish my meal and had to (sob) take the rest home. Thank you Michael and Mark for this delicious reason to look forward to the first day of the work week.

TSchaad

In answer to Don's desperate plea (and just because he's an all around nice guy!), I'll delurk and share that this site was singularly responsible for our trying Ray's the Steak. We visit frequently from out of town for medical treatment at Walter Reed, and were longing to find a good steakhouse without snooty pretensions. Budget-friendly was obviously a plus. Ray's is all that, and so much more. We had the delightful pleasure of meeting Mr. Landrum himself, and he personifies everything that Ray's is. The phrases "diamond in the rough" and "heart of gold" come to mind. Cliches perhaps, but true nonetheless.

I'll also share that we're a military family, and a little birdie told us that Ray's regularly and without fanfare provides meals to traveling families of troops who are recovering at Walter Reed. Those who aren't in the military may not fully appreciate the kindness of this gesture, but believe me, when you're on a military salary already and then dealing with the additional expenses of travel, any gesture of kindness is huge. And it's not like Ray's needs the business or the advertising, and doubtful that they'll gain a lot of repeat business from families who are alreadstruggling financially, so it's proof positive that the motive is entirely altruistic.

And of course, the food. Oh, the food. We all chose the highly recommended hanger steak, and it did not disappoint. It was so large that neither my teen daughter nor I were able to finish ours. Sides were delish, but comparable to gilding the lily. This meal was all about the steak. Even our teen daughter, who eats A-1 sauce on everything (even chicken), tore into her hanger steak and didn't look back. My husband and I were holding our collective breath, awaiting the request, but it never came. The steaks were just that good.

Of course, as wonderful and filling as our entrees were, we all still managed to put away dessert. Dark chocolate mousse. Be still, my heart.

Thanks, Don & Co., for introducing us to a new favorite!

In answer to Don's desperate plea (and just because he's an all around nice guy!), I'll delurk and share that this site was singularly responsible for our trying Ray's the Steak. We visit frequently from out of town for medical treatment at Walter Reed, and were longing to find a good steakhouse without snooty pretensions. Budget-friendly was obviously a plus. Ray's is all that, and so much more. We had the delightful pleasure of meeting Mr. Landrum himself, and he personifies everything that Ray's is. The phrases "diamond in the rough" and "heart of gold" come to mind. Cliches perhaps, but true nonetheless.

I'll also share that we're a military family, and a little birdie told us that Ray's regularly and without fanfare provides meals to traveling families of troops who are recovering at Walter Reed. Those who aren't in the military may not fully appreciate the kindness of this gesture, but believe me, when you're on a military salary already and then dealing with the additional expenses of travel, any gesture of kindness is huge. And it's not like Ray's needs the business or the advertising, and doubtful that they'll gain a lot of repeat business from families who are alreadstruggling financially, so it's proof positive that the motive is entirely altruistic.

And of course, the food. Oh, the food. We all chose the highly recommended hanger steak, and it did not disappoint. It was so large that neither my teen daughter nor I were able to finish ours. Sides were delish, but comparable to gilding the lily. This meal was all about the steak. Even our teen daughter, who eats A-1 sauce on everything (even chicken), tore into her hanger steak and didn't look back. My husband and I were holding our collective breath, awaiting the request, but it never came. The steaks were just that good.

Of course, as wonderful and filling as our entrees were, we all still managed to put away dessert. Dark chocolate mousse. Be still, my heart.

Thanks, Don & Co., for introducing us to a new favorite!

Welcome home, and G-d bless you and your family.

Lovely meal at Rays last night to celebrate Hubby's and my birthday. I was the only one of the 5 of us who had been to RTS before. It was my choice and everyone thought it was a brilliant one. (Ya gotta love a place that makes people think you're brilliant!)

I'm not a beef eater generally, but the passion for product that Ray's has makes me love the place. I got so caught up in the excitement I ordered the first steak I had eaten in 12 years. I enjoyed about a third of my filet...but I know I will be paying for the pleasure for a couple of days to come ;)

Hangar steaks were probably the most loved cut at the table. Hubby got through a good portion of the Cowboy ribeye. The creamed spinage was accompanied by both plain AND garlic mashed potatoes. Perhaps I've not read this thread carefully enough, perhaps I've missed it...but I don't think anyone has mentioned the fabu mac n cheese! It was bubbling hot from the kitchen and just a bowl full of comfort!

A big thank you to Mark who shared his love of zin with us and always makes a meal at Ray's that much more special.

You know, I try not to reply every time I go to Ray's....

But tonight I was happy, and Ray's (and Mark) just made me happier. And the murmurs of jealousy from next to me when they saw my marrow bone (I got the Bertolucci) were amusing.

The wine that Mark recommended was a Villamedoro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo that was fan-freaking-tastic.

Special thanks to Mark and Joe P. for taking care of us on a rare night out. It says a lot about RTS that when we can only go out once or twice a year, we choose somewhere we know.

I think that I like the flavor of my wife's hanger better than the cowboy cut that I got, but both were awesome. We may be eating them for the rest of the weekend. I am still amazed at how good the crab bisque in a steak house can be and how much crab is at the bottom of the bowl. I had always wanted to try to the key lime pie, so thanks for reading my mind, Mark! It was as good as expected.

It was great to see so many well-behaved babies in the dining room; we look forward to introducing little Cooterina to Michaels empire on some early Saturday nights.

The article notes that Landrum is touting fried chicken. I always liked the fried chicken at Ray's The Classics until it was discontinued. I wish they would carry it at the original Rays which I am more likely to frequent.

The article notes that Landrum is touting fried chicken. I always liked the fried chicken at Ray's The Classics until it was discontinued. I wish they would carry it at the original Rays which I am more likely to frequent.

Michael -

Any word on whether or not the other Ray's locations will be seeing the new menu items mentioned for East River?

"Something" appears to mean "next Wednesday, not this one" (see DanielK's link).

The way I understood Tim Carman's article was the "ribbon cutting ceremony" was to be held today, but the actual opening is next week.

Then there's this:

Don't expect fireworks between Fenty and Gray, who announced last week that he will challenge the mayor in the September primary. They've been civil in all of their run-ins since Gray's announcement. But watch out for Landrum, who is known as much for throwing out misbehaving or impatient customers as he is for his investment in forgotten communities.

The event begins at 3:30 p.m. at Ray's, 3905 Dix St. NE.

-- Nikita Stewart

the Post just can't resist a cheap shot, can they... maybe it's cause of Mark Fischer, all those years ago. y'think?

I have news so shocking, so profoundly disturbing on such a fundamental level in so many ways that the utter horror and despair that it will cause so many people make me only able to cackle and caper about in paroxysms of sheer delight. That's right, unbeknownst to any of you who reside or work or even passed through DC today ever so briefly, today was, by Official Decree and Proclamation of the His Honor The Mayor of Washington, DC, Ray's The Steaks Day in Washington, DC, and there is nothing you can do to change that and the fact that you were part of it and you will have to live with that for the rest of your lives.

You feel so dirty and no shower or mikve will ever make you feel clean again.

I have news so shocking, so profoundly disturbing on such a fundamental level in so many ways that the utter horror and despair that it will cause so many people make me only able to cackle and caper about in paroxysms of sheer delight. That's right, unbeknownst to any of you who reside or work or even passed through DC today ever so briefly, today was, by Official Decree and Proclamation of the His Honor The Mayor of Washington, DC, Ray's The Steaks Day in Washington, DC, and there is nothing you can do to change that and the fact that you were part of it and you will have to live with that for the rest of yours lives.

You feel so dirty and no shower or mikve will ever make you feel clean again.

I'm going to do my best to speak French here:

1. Shut le fuck up, and more importantly ...

2. Congratulations!