Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

My brother has fallen in love with Ray's. Any chance or excuse he gets he's dying to go - Tuesday night one of his best friends was in town, so away we went.

Michael was at the front when we walked in and so I got a chance to say hi (which I haven't had a chance to do since Hellburger opened, I believe). It was fairly quiet when we came in but it quickly filled up.

Small minicups of the crab bisque came out first, which was a pleasant surprise. What was an even bigger surprise was when an order of the Devilishly Good Eggs and the bacon came out! I hadn't had the bacon before but holy crap it was good.

I went with the cowboy ribeye and as usual, everything was delicious. In fact, I just remembered that I have leftovers in the fridge...

It's a hard knock life being half a block or so from there, I tell you what.

Be gentle, it's my first... post.

Like so many others on this tread, RTS has become a favorite. The last visit was two Saturday nights ago, and it lived up to expectations again!

Two of us had the "Sidekick" (the Cowboy's slightly smaller cousin?), the other two had NY strips cooked to perfection. Accompanied by a fabulous, affordable Zinfandel selection from Mark -- who was not only great conversation for a four-top of winos, but he even left us with a fine bottle-purchase recommendation: the 2006 Luigi Bosca Reserve Malbec -- and topped off with the cheesecake and chocolate mouse. Who could ask for more?

Can't wait for next time. Cheers...

I had been looking forward to a steak all week. I don't know what possessed me, but I ordered the crab. Actually, I think the thing that possessed me was wanting to save room for dessert: if I got the crab, then I wouldn't get the bisque and could get a salad. Salad + crab = some dessert, but bisque + steak = no room (I'm a small person!)

Anyway, hoo boy was that good. A great option.

Salad + crab = some dessert, but bisque + steak = no room (I'm a small person!)
I usually share the bisque and eat 1/2 of the steak (and the balance is great lunch for next day) then room for dessert too (See you can have your cake and eat it too)

Blast from the past, taken from a 0ct 4, 2004 post from ML, more true today then it was then...

I commit much time and a ridiculous amount of resources (my wine inventory is dollar amount larger than DC Coast's for example) to seeking out special value wines and special purchase opportunities. I know from my reps that Tom Power does this, though we've never met, and like Tom, I pass on those savings to the guests.

Wine is a particular passion for me, but more than that it is at the very heart of hospitality and the celebration of life. I always want to make sure that my list is as exciting, approachable and affordable as possible.

As for my pricing, what I charge is what is fair. It's that the other places are, quite frankly, ripping you off.

In fine dining, when you have a sommelier such as Mark Slater and a commitment to proper storage, presentation and service, then the expertise and intelligence of the selections and the costs involved in first-class service do warrant the cost--in fact in Mark's case it makes the wines downright cheap when you figure in the value he adds to your selection--but that is rare.

Don't worry about me raising my prices, though; I love wine and value my guests too much to ever dishonor the wines or my guests by charging too much. In fact, I would love if guests used me as a model in refusing to accept being ripped off and insulted at other restaurants.

Impending reviews don't help matters at all (in fact, have once again forced me to cancel whatever little time off I was planning to take this summer)--especially since based on his questions, I am sure that Tom Sietsema is going to bring up that whole fallacious "time limit" thing that his little network of spies and the chronically aggrieved love to bitch to him about, thereby encouraging people to come poke the bears. Of course, they are always so shocked when they find out that this bear has learned how to pick the lock on his cage. It's always so funny how bullies turn into the biggest cry babies, and liars, when denied their right to threaten and bully. You'd think that Tom would know that by now before he give credence to their whinging.

It's enough to make me want to put on some moose antlers and head up to Wasilla. Or to set up a web site and change from Invision 2.0 to Invision 3.0. Arrrgh.

I'd really hate to have to stop taking reservations again.

Uh-oh -- it's on.

From Tom this week:

"This gives me an opportunity to report in advance of my Sunday review of Ray's the Steaks that I had to cut three inches at the last minute. One of the sentences that got dropped included this note to vegetarians: There's not much for you to eat there. [emphasis added]"

Here are a couple of snippets from the Hellburger thread:

Impending reviews don't help matters at all (in fact, have once again forced me to cancel whatever little time off I was planning to take this summer)--especially since based on his questions, I am sure that Tom Sietsema is going to bring up that whole fallacious "time limit" thing that his little network of spies and the chronically aggrieved love to bitch to him about, thereby encouraging people to come poke the bears. Of course, they are always so shocked when they find out that this bear has learned how to pick the lock on his cage.
Uh-oh -- it's on.

From Tom this week:

"This gives me an opportunity to report in advance of my Sunday review of Ray's the Steaks that I had to cut three inches at the last minute. One of the sentences that got dropped included this note to vegetarians: There's not much for you to eat there. [emphasis added]"

Yeah, he kept in the reference to the quick turning of the tables.
Moving On Up: At Ray's the Steaks, Change Is Good

<snip>

Ray's the Steaks isn't for every diner. If you like a cocktail with your meal, you're out of luck: Wine and beer are the stiffest drinks on the menu. With few exceptions, Ray's the Steaks doesn't encourage lingering at the table, a practice customers are reminded of when their server asks to take their order within a minute of their being seated and when she sets the bill down along with any dessert. Landrum, who once waited tables at Capital Grille in Washington, argues that speedy service is a good thing, given the demand for tables at Ray's. On an average night, 450 people stream through the front door.

<snip>

Another highlight on a long list of "butcher cuts" is beer-braised short ribs, a Rockwellian Sunday supper consisting of 20 ounces of mellow beef, potatoes and carrots that benefit from a swipe through the accompanying mustard and horseradish on their way to your mouth.

Do we have a Rockwellian Sunday supper?

(while duly noting that ML goes out of the way to serve all patrons and yadda yadda yadda)

Knock me over with a fuckin' feather! A place with "Steaks" in the name might not be the best choice for vegetarians? Great horny toads, Tom! There's a journalistic scoop if I ever saw one! :rolleyes:

(while duly noting that ML goes out of the way to serve all patrons and yadda yadda yadda)

Knock me over with a fuckin' feather! A place with "Steaks" in the name might not be the best choice for vegetarians? Great horny toads, Tom! There's a journalistic scoop if I ever saw one! :rolleyes:

In fairness to Tom, he was getting beaten up in his chat yesterday by people who want him to note in every review how vegetarian-friendly a restaurant is. He added that comment after being piled on by several chatters. I imagine if he thought that point was really crucial to his review, he would have cut something else.

In fairness to Tom, he was getting beaten up in his chat yesterday by people who want him to note in every review how vegetarian-friendly a restaurant is. He added that comment after being piled on by several chatters. I imagine if he thought that point was really crucial to his review, he would have cut something else.

Fair enough, I'll lessen my ire towards him and turn it towards vegetarians who demand to know how vegetarian friendly a steak house is.

Fair enough, I'll lessen my ire towards him and turn it towards vegetarians who demand to know how vegetarian friendly a steak house is.

Except that RTC has what my vegetarian sister-in-law says is probably the best vegetarian dish she's ever had in a restaurant - the portabello eggplant stack!

Vegetarians don't necessarily seek out steakhouses. They may be a spouse or dining companion of a carnivore and merely want to know what their menu options are, if any.

Joe, how do you feel about Peta folk or vegetarians who show their ire at our eating choices?

Every american including the Peta folk wacko's have a right to their opinion (and you know what we think about opinions - lol).

You know, believe it or not, I actually felt sorry for Tom yesterday for how he was getting beat up. Not just the vegetarian thing either, he was getting it from all sides.

Right, and if you had gotten 1 1/2 stars, he would have gotten it from you, too.

Question, Michael: After your good review, do you still feel strongly that a critic should wait six months? Who's to say you aren't going to suck in six months, if not sooner? Really now ... Ray's The Classics? Shall we all examine how that restaurant "settled in" and "found itself?"

Also, do you have copies of any reviews up in your windows (Ray's Hell Burger, for example) from The Washington Post or Washingtonian, particularly ones that were published less than six months after you opened? If so, then why?

Actually, I posted the above commiserative reply (it seems like the hyper-entitlement directed towards restaurants is beginning to bleed over even into chats about restaurants) before I read the review, but I see your point.

And, truth be told, all of your points are valid and insightful, and the potential for hypocrisy on my part is great enough that I deserve to be called on them.

And, if I were soberer, I would respond in an intelligent (or at least with what passes with me as intelligent) fashion.

But yes, I do believe that a major substantive review of record in a major news publication should be published no sooner than six months from the opening date of a restaurant, based on visits that occur no fewer than three months from that date.

Unless, of course, the restaurant courts and manipulates that attention and depends on being a media event in and of itself, and whose raison d'etre is the status-driven and exclusionary nature of the restaurant, with little or no value otherwise.

As for the possibility of me laying into Tom for a negative review, I most certainly would have had the basis for the negative review been service related, failing us for a type and style of service that we not only do not promise to provide, but announce that we assiduously do not provide, and whose opposite we DO strive to provide based on clearly explained principles.

I have always only asked, in challenging others' perception or judgement on what we do, to be judged for what we do, and not what we don't do, and for what we claim to do, and not what we don't claim to do. Any failures, providing they do not involve personal attacks on members of my staff, I strive to correct with no regard to cost or pride.

I'm not sure of what is hanging in my windows, but the only notices which I make a point of hanging, and the only press that I take any pride in, involve the social nature of my work (or pictures in which I find myself to be particularly Humbertianly attractive). Sometimes a review displayed publicly can be a source of pride and earned recognition to the memebers of my team who worked unimaginably hard to make it possible, so if charged--Guilty as Quilty am I!

Last point--there have been times when all of the Ray's restaurants at one point or another have sucked, regardless of how recently or long ago they opened, or on any individual occasion or day. My job is to keep the guest from knowing this, or if he does, to find a way to make amends.

To sum it up--and put this in whatever thread you want--with this review I really and truthfully feel like I have dodged a bullet, unlike Pushkin and Lermontov, and thank God for the team that allowed me to (even if it means I spend the rest of my time sprawled on the couch like a booze-addled Oblomov).

The question for reviews in general is whether the critic can shoot on the count of three, but the restaurateur can only take aim after ten paces, unless he cheats.

RTS's most excellent wine list has gotten even better. Mark told us that he'd added a number of excellent Bordeaux selections just yesterday. Perhaps for a very special occasion, I might order the 2005 Calon Segur, at $140 (IIRC), but I'm afraid that the 05 Cheval Blanc is out of my league at $1300, even though Mark says that other restaurants sell it for $2800. There were perhaps a dozen others whose names my jet-lagged brain didn't retain. We weren't up for more than a glass apiece last night, but new on the by-the-glass list since our last visit is the 2006 Luigi Bosca Reserve Malbec, which is complex and mouth-filling, flat-out fabulously delicious with our hanger steaks.

Or you might want to consider the Protocolo at $15/bottle.

Goodness, yes, Michael dear one. There are many excellent budget-minded selections available at RTS. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that there are only high-priced options, merely that there are new ones. Mark has assembled a wine list of remarkable breadth and depth across the cost spectrum, which demonstrates his true genius.

Goodness, yes, Michael dear one. There are many excellent budget-minded selections available at RTS. I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that there are only high-priced options, merely that there are new ones. Mark has assembled a wine list of remarkable breadth and depth across the cost spectrum, which demonstrates his true genius.

Thanks Zora. A little monkeying around with Excel tells me that Ray's list has 260 wines, 65% or 165 of them are $60 or less and there are 45 wines $30 or less.

I just wanted to follow up and give a thank you to Mr. Slater for picking out a really nice bottle of wine for us Friday night. When my Husband got the bill he was like wow you picked out cheap wine! So thank you for helping me choose a really nice affordable bottle for our night out. We also were sent out some deviled eggs with steak tartare and small cup of sherried crab bisque, which was perfect because I didn't have room for a whole cup but really wanted some, it is such good soup. It is rich and so sweet from the crab and the amount of crab just makes it so tastey.

It is amazing how busy they are with about double or triple the space.

I had the house special because I was really in the mood for rich food and it was really good. I really like the steak here as to me it just isn't as messed with as other places in a good way.

We ended with key lime pie that is really custardy and made with real key limes that was wonderful. It is so hard to save room for dessert here, but I always have to.

Anyway we had a nice date, close to home so the Hubby was happy. And a nice chat with Mr. Slater (who might have to send me the name of that lovely bottle of spanish temparillo with the bird on the label as I completely forget the name now if he reads this and has a spare moment, please?).

Anyway we had a nice date, close to home so the Hubby was happy. And a nice chat with Mr. Slater (who might have to send me the name of that lovely bottle of spanish temparillo with the bird on the label as I completely forget the name now if he reads this and has a spare moment, please?).

Was this the label? If so, it is a very nice wine.

sembro_t._2006_frontal.jpg

Last night I introduced some out-of-town friends to RTS, and we had a remarkable plate of deliciousness put before us as as an appetizer--slab bacon that had clearly been braised and then thickly sliced and crisped on the grill, served over a uniquely seasoned sauerkraut. This was melt in the mouth tender and deliciously smoked-- a spectacular dish, and if it is on offer when you are there, I encourage you to order it.

Last night I introduced some out-of-town friends to RTS, and we had a remarkable plate of deliciousness put before us as as an appetizer--slab bacon that had clearly been braised and then thickly sliced and crisped on the grill, served over a uniquely seasoned sauerkraut. This was melt in the mouth tender and deliciously smoked-- a spectacular dish, and if it is on offer when you are there, I encourage you to order it.

The sauerkraut has some nice mustard with it and I believe that the bacon is always on the app portion of the menu.

Had another fantastic time at RTS the other week. I try not to make my reviews redundant on repeat visits, so I'll try to keep this in the spirit of things you should know before going:

1) When they ask if you would like anything to drink, ask for Mark if he's around. Your dining experience (and your day in general) will be richer for the experience. Nothing enhances my excitement more than being around someone else who is, if anything, even more excited than I am.

2) The cowboy is massive. However, it is beefier than pure beef essence. Get it, and enjoy feeding yourself from it for the next three days. Expect to suffer from severe beef intoxication.

Can anyone tell me a little about the vegetarian entree?

I'm recovering from a few weeks of some really debilitating GI issues (prompted by a bout of what I think was food poisoning, ugh, miserable). I've been given orders to stick to a "bland" starchy diet for a while - no insoluble fibers, no spices, no red meat (ack!!). This is making me alternately depressed and stir-crazy, since it's the exact opposite of the way I normally eat - I call it the "everything you never ate" diet...white bread, white rice, simple starches. eeek.

Anyway, I've been having a RTS jones for a few months now and a friend invited me to join she and her mom at dinner tomorrow. Although I can't go due to other plans, it got me thinking that if this ends up being a longer-term thing I might really lose my mind. Thus the query: is the veggie option terribly, umm, I don't even know what to ask - spicy?

Damn typing this out I'm really feeling how much this sucks.

I finally was able to drag my husband to RTS yesterday. He doesn’t like to try new places and is very picky, hence his nickname El Exigente, the “Demanding One”. However, he left there a convert.

First, the bread came. Immediately he was annoyed because there was no butter. I said, I think it’s foccacia. Then he said, well, then they should have olive oil to go with it. After he took a bite, he said, oh, it doesn’t need anything else, it already has olive oil on it and it is good.

Then we ordered. I braced myself because my husband likes his steaks medium-well and a lot of serious steakhouses will snear at anyone who asks for anything more than medium. My husband ordered the filet mignon au poivre medium-well. The nice waiter couldn’t be more accommodating—he said sure!

We started off with the crab bisque. Wow! My husband said this must be what the Soup Nazi soups taste like. I agreed—I could see dumping my husband to continue access to that wonderful soup. Then the steaks came. My husband was very pleased and so was I—both in the steak and in my husband’s reaction, because that meant we could put this wonderful restaurant in our regular rotation.

I wish more restaurants would follow Michael Landrum’s philosophy of great food and wine at reasonable prices. My entrée cost less than lesser entrees at other restaurants. The wine markup was a bargain compared to the restaurants that I usually frequent. If Landrum can do it, why can’t they?

If Landrum can do it, why can’t they?

A question for the ages. The answer is of course, that Landrum was delivered to earth by the Flying Spaghetti Monster as both a gift to the struggling masses, and as a remonstration to those businessmen who have dedicated their souls to Mammon.

Last night I tried to order the Short Rib "steak" and was sad to hear that they had sold out for the evening. I was even more upset to learn that this item was to be phased-off of the menu. I love those short ribs. I was looking forward to eating them all week. Please, Michael don't take those away. (noted as well that the fajitas are no longer on the menu)

Last night I tried to order the Short Rib "steak" and was sad to hear that they had sold out for the evening. I was even more upset to learn that this item was to be phased-off of the menu. I love those short ribs. I was looking forward to eating them all week. Please, Michael don't take those away. (noted as well that the fajitas are no longer on the menu)

That sucks to hear those delicious short ribs will be gone. On a different note, I tried the flat iron steak a few days ago which I saw on the menu, I guess a newer item. Very good - extremely tender and served in a mango sauce, though I note the sauce was rather sweet. The grilled onions served with it are a nice touch.

I love Ray's, I love the (brusque, honest) service, and I love the steaks. That said, the bf and I had a slightly weird experience last night. We both ordered our steaks, and the waiter let me know that the onglet (usually $19.99) could be had, along with a salad (or soup) and dessert, for $24.99. I believe my response was "Hellz yes" and I ordered a ceasar salad and, later, a chocolate mousse. When the waiter was clearing the bf's steak plate, his hand slipped and he dropped the steak knife into bf's lap. Nobody was hurt and we all chuckled and moved on. (And, we're not the kind of folks to make a fuss over that kind of thing-- no harm, no foul.) Then when the waiter brought the mousse, he made sure to tell us it was "on the house" b/c of the knife-dropping incident. The thing is though, the dessert (and the steak, and the salad) were already included in the $24.99. And while the dessert didn't show up on the bill, the overall price wasn't affected a damn bit. Now, to be clear, I've never been "comped" anything in a restaurant and this incident was certainly not a big enough deal to warrant it. Just seemed weird. Can't comp it if its already included in the price.

Other than that, a wonderful evening.

I was so disappointed to find out that Ray's took the vegetarian entree off the menu when I visited last night. Those delicious mushrooms with the diablo sauce were the best vegetarian entree in Arlington, and the main reason I visited the restaurant with my family and friends so often -- it's hard to find a steakhouse I can eat something at other than side dishes. The salad was good and the waitress was apologetic, but I'm going to have to cross it off the list if I'm just going there for a salad. My boyfriend and I were going to Ray's at least once a month since it's his favorite restaurant, but we'll have to find a new spot unless they plan to replace it with something else.