Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

I finally made it to the new location yesterday and think it is quite an improvement in decor and, fortunately, the food is just as good. We had the House Special steak with bleu cheese and peppercorns with potatoes and spinach on the side. Neither of us could finish and we took ours home. In the tale-out container, they add fresh mashed potatoes and spinach which is a nice touch. We finished sharing a key lime pie. The place looks like it is getting a good and well-deserved increase in business with the larger and mroe convenient quarters. And if you know when you will show up, the new reservations policy is a good thing.

Say hi next time.

After a series of only-awesome steaks my last few meals at Ray's vieux, super-awesomeness returned with both my picanha and my wife's 12oz. strip. And even though Mr. Slater said it'd be kosher if he wore denim to work the floor, somehow, I don't see it happening.

We do have to find a Ray's-suitable substitute for the tastevin, though :rolleyes:.

Say hi next time.

After a series of only-awesome steaks my last few meals at Ray's vieux, super-awesomeness returned with both my picanha and my wife's 12oz. strip. And even though Mr. Slater said it'd be kosher if he wore denim to work the floor, somehow, I don't see it happening.

We do have to find a Ray's-suitable substitute for the tastevin, though :rolleyes:.

wine-necklace.jpg

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the new call ahead system at Ray's? The +1's parents are in town this weekend and of course he waited too late to call for real reservations and there weren't any convenient times left. This new system is different than at old Ray's right? Where you could show up in the afternoon and put a name on the list. How does this one work? And how long do you normally have to wait?

Jonathan and I stopped in for dinner on our way home from the airport on Tuesday. I was starving, since Virgin America provides no snacks and I don't eat on planes anyway--especially not pre-made sandwiches in plastic boxes. Mark was looking upbeat and energized without a jacket, tie, and tastevin. Michael stopped by to ask why I hadn't gone straight to The Source. We both ordered--how could we not?--the 3 courses for $23.95 special, and a bottle of Las Perdices malbec, the first Slater-selected QPR wine to appear on the list. The place was packed on a Tuesday night at 8:30, so Michael hardly needs to offer such a bargain as a loss-leader to attract customers. He is doing it solely out of the contrariness of his big, unshaven heart. Jonathan ordered crab bisque, but ate most of my iceberg-blue cheese and bacon salad. During my 2 week absence, he was able to completely avoid eating salad, but found himself craving it once he took a bite. Maybe I need to start putting bacon in my salads, which he usually eats with reluctance when he doesn't leave them uneaten. Hanger steaks seemed especially tender and flavorful, and I ate all of my coconut cream pie, even though I found it overly sweet from condensed milk. The key lime pie is made with it, too, but the lime juice cuts the sweetness.

The inside scoop is that the plan is for Ray's to become the Peter Luger's of DC, with a great meal in simple surroundings for every budget. I think it already is...

Went to RTS for dinner Saturday night with my Mom for her birthday. It was a belated birthday dinner but I promised to take her out next time she came a-visiting. We both had the crab bisque which was as fantastic as ever. I was a little worried because mom likes her steaks well-done. As in no pink what-so-ever well-done. She ordered the petit fillet (one of her favorite cuts - it's the perfect size for her and she loves fillets) well done and it was cooked perfectly for her tastes. I had the hanger steak, medium rare with the horseradish cream. We had grilled onions for the table and the always scrumptious mashed potatoes and creamed spinach.

We finished the meal by sharing a slice of the key lime pie and was brought out some complimentary hot cocoa. Delicious! Mom loved the meal and was really surprised with how busy the place was at 6:15 (there were about 15 people milling about on the sidewalk when we showed up!)

Another awesome trip to Ray's. I seem to fall in love with it even more each time I go!

I've actually owed this public apology to Michael for some time now, so here goes.

For years, I've started nearly every meal at RTS or RTC with the crab bisque. Everyone here understands - the perfect bisque, and completely loaded with lumb crab. While I occasionally stray to a salad, that's only when my wife is ordering the bisque, so I still get a taste.

Not long after the new RTS location opened, I had dinner there, and Michael was kind enough to bring out a small taste of bisque gratis while we were looking over the menu. Since I'd now had my taste of bisque, the world of appetizers was now open. We settled on a salad (natch), and the clam chowder.

Here's where the apology comes in, because I always steer my guests to the bisque, and this has clearly been a monumental error:

If you thought the bisque was great, you need to order the clam chowder. It's better.

No, really. There are as many clams in the chowder as there is crab in the bisque, and they actually taste like clams. All of the ingredients just sing - you can taste each one, and yet they come together in perfect harmony. You owe it to yourself to order the clam chowder the next time you find yourself at Ray's.

This will unfortunately make your life more difficult, because the next time you're there, you'll stare at the menu for 10 minutes not knowing which soup to order.

So, another post on a thread already rife with people asking for suggestions on their first time at Ray's...I've read through them, and yet I'm going ahead with it anyway...

After a long bout of research, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to bring my dad to Ray's when he comes down to DC in early May. I've been reading through people's favorite dishes and such, and just had a few questions. Of course, I'm also open to any general comments too.

As a preface, when it comes to steaks, I probably offend the majority of those who are purists on two counts: I prefer them cooked somewhere around medium-well, and never below medium; and in addition, I tend to only preferleaner cuts. In general, I have yet to appreciate the flavor associated with most steaks when the tenderness of a filet is so appealing.

Given that...

I'm pretty much certain that I want to give the crab bisque a shot - it just sounds too good to pass up. But what next?

A cut that sounds like it would fit my preference is the Entrecote, but I haven't seen too many people mention it on here. Opinions? What preparation would be suitable (Au Poivre, Blackened, Diablo)? And what's the general weight?

Or should I just suck it up and get the hanger steak that has apparently changed so many lives?

On a side note, I'm a seafood lover...maybe those scallops are calling my name...or the crab royale over at Ray's the Classics.

Decisions, decisions. Haha.

Thanks for all replies

Gennaro

So, another post on a thread already rife with people asking for suggestions on their first time at Ray's...I've read through them, and yet I'm going ahead with it anyway...

After a long bout of research, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to bring my dad to Ray's when he comes down to DC in early May. I've been reading through people's favorite dishes and such, and just had a few questions. Of course, I'm also open to any general comments too.

As a preface, when it comes to steaks, I probably offend the majority of those who are purists on two counts: I prefer them cooked somewhere around medium-well, and never below medium; and in addition, I tend to only preferleaner cuts. In general, I have yet to appreciate the flavor associated with most steaks when the tenderness of a filet is so appealing.

Given that...

I'm pretty much certain that I want to give the crab bisque a shot - it just sounds too good to pass up. But what next?

A cut that sounds like it would fit my preference is the Entrecote, but I haven't seen too many people mention it on here. Opinions? What preparation would be suitable (Au Poivre, Blackened, Diablo)? And what's the general weight?

Or should I just suck it up and get the hanger steak that has apparently changed so many lives?

On a side note, I'm a seafood lover...maybe those scallops are calling my name...or the crab royale over at Ray's the Classics.

Decisions, decisions. Haha.

Thanks for all replies

Gennaro

The steak fajita is a pretty damn good dish too and you might want to consider that too. :rolleyes:

If you enjoy a tenderloin because of the tenderness then a hangar will be a big change, because not only is it a much more flavorful piece of meat, it is has a much different texture.

Gennaro

The squeamish MrP often gets some sirloin preparation with diablo sauce. I forget how it's described on the menu, but it comes sliced and apparently it's damned good if you like your meat that way. His alternative is the petit fillet, which he gets medium. Beware, though: you'll get medium as defined by temperature (per M Landrum, described on the menu) but it might look like medium-rare. Ask rather than assume. They'll take good care of you.

The scallops are life-changing. MrP went from despising the things (something about a bad high school biology class) to adoring them after Landrum slipped him a few.

The scallops are life-changing. MrP went from despising the things (something about a bad high school biology class) to adoring them after Landrum slipped him a few.

I whole-heartedly agree about the scallops. I've tried the crab bisque when other people have ordered it, and it is indeed good. But I've never been able to order it myself as I can't pass up the scallops. We're talking punch-your-momma-in-the-mouth good. There's just no way I can not order them. Sometimes I feel sad that there's a decent bit of the menu I've never ordered myself and think about ordering something else... and then every time I order the scallops and the key lime pie (when I can fit in dessert). I change up the steak that I order, but the scallops are a given.

ETA:Forgot to add. You do get enough scallops to share thankfully, especially if it's just two of you. That's really the only way I end up trying other appetizers at all...

Gennaro

It sounds like you will be 3 or 4 people. Here's what you should do: 2 people should get a cup of bisque, 2 people should get a cup of clam chowder. Trade tastes. Order 1 bacon wrapped scallop appetizer and one Crab Royale appetizer. Split these. For your steak you should get the NY Strip - either the Blue Devil or the House Special. Medium. These are aged steaks and don't have blood to ooze. Ask for slight char. Order a bottle of Luna Beberide 1999 Bierzo for $35. This is mature and mellow. Good to go. You'll probably skip dessert. If you have to order the filet mignon, get the Rossini (with foie gras on top) or the au poivre with mushroom sauce. Please say hi when you are there.

It sounds like you will be 3 or 4 people. Here's what you should do: 2 people should get a cup of bisque, 2 people should get a cup of clam chowder. Trade tastes. Order 1 bacon wrapped scallop appetizer and one Crab Royale appetizer. Split these. For your steak you should get the NY Strip - either the Blue Devil or the House Special. Medium. These are aged steaks and don't have blood to ooze. Ask for slight char. Order a bottle of Luna Beberide 1999 Bierzo for $35. This is mature and mellow. Good to go. You'll probably skip dessert. If you have to order the filet mignon, get the Rossini (with foie gras on top) or the au poivre with mushroom sauce. Please say hi when you are there.

Hey Mark, thanks for the detailed response. It's actually going to be just my dad and I for the dinner, but I was still thinking along the same lines as you. I figured we'd each get a soup so that we could have a taste of them both, and we'd split a scallop appetizer. From there, if the Crab Royale is available, one of us may get that as an entree and then the other will go for a steak. The House Special sounds fantastic save for the bleu cheese, so perhaps simply an NY Strip Au Poivre. As for the wine, I'll trust you and my dad, since I haven't a clue in that area.

I almost feel silly doing so much planning for a meal...then I come across a picture of the NY Strip on google, and even as a wary steak-eater can't help but stare. Haha.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to say hi.

Gennaro

Sorry for the semi-hijack... Mark, what are your thoughts on the Santa Barbera ZCS at Ray's? I've ordered it multiple times now at Ray's without meaning to repeat as it always sounds interesting... and the we recognize it from before and are pleasantly surprised as we always enjoy it. I'm not sure if my palate just isn't refined enough to appreciate really fine wines or if this is just a great deal for the price point, but this wine is the only I've ever sought out after having it in a restaurant, ordered half a case from the winery.

Sorry for the semi-hijack... Mark, what are your thoughts on the Santa Barbera ZCS at Ray's? I've ordered it multiple times now at Ray's without meaning to repeat as it always sounds interesting... and the we recognize it from before and are pleasantly surprised as we always enjoy it. I'm not sure if my palate just isn't refined enough to appreciate really fine wines or if this is just a great deal for the price point, but this wine is the only I've ever sought out after having it in a restaurant, ordered half a case from the winery.

I really like the winery and the ZCS (Zinfandel-Carignan-Sangiovese). It's a fun blend, easy to drink. Come check out the new stuff we've added.

It has been a looooong time since I've visited the original Ray's and I'm itching to check out the new digs. However, my most likely dining companion, Mrs. Dente, is highly anti-steak at the moment. How do I sell her on stopping in for dinner? What, other than hunks of delicious red meat, is on the menu?

Regards,

Bill O'fare

We ventured to the new location for the first time on Saturday, with BLToddler in tow. Enjoyed the new space very much, loved that the food was still as tasty (and the menu is expanded!) and just generally enjoyed an evening out. Arrived at 5 and the place was just starting to fill up. I veered away from my usual love of the hanger to try the filet with the foie gras. It was perfect--tender, flavorful and just the right size. (I was sort of surprised when I got up on Sunday and realized my only leftovers were broccoli and mushrooms.) But the highlight was putting a spoonful of mashed potatoes on BLToddler's plate--he picked up his spoon, said "mashed potatoes" and dug right in. He's eaten plenty of potatoes but I've never given him mashed before. He said it was his favorite part of the meal though he chugged down the spinach, broccoli, mushrooms too. He also loved the onions that came with Mr. BLB's hanger.

Dining out with toddler in tow is incredibly stressful but this was a definite success. Looking forward to venturing there again soon.

For my brother's birthday we went to Ray's. It's now WAY too close to my house.

Having no idea what to order for wine, our waitress asked Mark to come by our table. It was great to finally meet him and it was a pleasure talking to him. He recommended a few bottles and we went with the Consilience, a syrah from Santa Barbara county that we both ended up loving.

For appetizers we ordered the devilshy good eggs, and they were quite good, and the bacon wrapped scallops. Unfortunately, we got the cajun spiced scallops delivered instead, and meant to say something - but, to be completely honest, we both got so distracted by our meals we forgot.

Other than that, we had the bistro special, so he had the crab bisque and I had the clam chowder. He and his wife had gone to Ruth's Chris recently, thanks to a $100 gift card, and he laughed several times at how he felt the food was as good or better than Ruth's but was so much cheaper.

We both had the hangar steak - yummy - and devoured the desserts (I had the milk chocolate and he had the white chocolate mousse). Since it was his birthday, they gave him a piece of cheesecake to take home.

All in all a great meal, even with the mistaken appetizer. Guess I just gotta go back and try again on those bacon wrapped scallops...

Please disregard this message. Or, if you find yourself unable to do so, direct any complaints to attention of one Mr. Rockwell, who has been positively littering my inbox in recent months with messages along the line of "You've got to sign in! You've got to post! Or you'll be drawn, quartered, and roasted on a spit! Or at least deleted from the database!!"

In order to quell the bombardment, I'm posting. I'm POSTING, already.

Why in this thread? Well, while I'm being forced to make a completely content-free posting to the forum, might as well abjectly and shamelessly beg Michael to consider establishing a southern New Jersey beef emporium. Please? I ain't et right, since I moved away from the DC Metro. It's a goddamned crime, the food here.

Please?

...might as well abjectly and shamelessly beg Michael to consider establishing a southern New Jersey beef emporium. Please? I ain't et right, since I moved away from the DC Metro. It's a goddamned crime, the food here.

Please?

Sweeter words to my ears never were spoken, but are you really sure about this? Please is all I need. But is the food there really more of a crime than the ones I'm likely to commit?

After all--One town is very like another, when your head's down over your pieces, brother.

Can someone tell me whether the new location has a bar where a solo diner would be welcome? I don't have time to read the last 200 posts, and don't want to take a 2-top just for myself.
No, there isn't a bar. In fact, M. Slater reported the following about Summers
This place doubles as the cocktail lounge for Ray's the Steaks directly across the street.
But I bet you'd still be welcome as a solo diner :rolleyes:

But I bet you'd still be welcome as a solo diner :rolleyes:

I thought about taking myself out to dinner Saturday - the skies were grey and I had been working all day. A spur of the moment thought.

I called RTS to ask if the new space had a bar area appropriate for a solo dinner. Not like I haven't been to the new joint, but I couldn't picture it with or without.

Indeed, I was told I would be welcome as a party of one at a table, but there is no bar. I declined, as it was a Saturday night and I thought that if I was going to take up a whole table by myself I could at least do it on a Tuesday or something.

I thought about taking myself out to dinner Saturday - the skies were grey and I had been working all day. A spur of the moment thought.

I called RTS to ask if the new space had a bar area appropriate for a solo dinner. Not like I haven't been to the new joint, but I couldn't picture it with or without.

Indeed, I was told I would be welcome as a party of one at a table, but there is no bar. I declined, as it was a Saturday night and I thought that if I was going to take up a whole table by myself I could at least do it on a Tuesday or something.

Unnecessary guilt. What about those parties of three on a four-top and those parties of five on a six-top?

I ate at Ray's Sunday night violating my vow not to return until I could go on a night when M. Slater was slinging Shiraz, but the wife said she'd pay and who could turn down a free dinner, especially after playing crew dad in a steady rain for six hour in Baltimore?

I told Landrum I'd write a glowing review if he comped me a bottle of kick-ass Zin but he refused and so it sucked.

[Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now just wait and see how many hits your website gets from this. :rolleyes:]

Well crap. I should've cooked up this ploy back when I kept my website updated... or watched my stats!

Sweeter words to my ears never were spoken, but are you really sure about this? Please is all I need. But is the food there really more of a crime than the ones I'm likely to commit?

Depends upon how strenuously one objects to bulk-quantity reconstituted diner food provided by the multinational-industrial foodbots at Sysco Corp. And, listen, I don't know what kind of offenses you'd planned to commit, but my little town (it's a drag, it's a bore....) can only benefit from any crime spree involving gratuitous speechifying, booze, and Hawaaian shirts.

Anyway. Thanks, Don, for being of good humor about my flagrant violation of the categorical imperative as it translates to Internet forum etiquette. This is quite some place you got here and I'm only sorry I've nothing of real value to contribute. Since I don't, back to lurkerdom I go.

Like we used to type in 1994: *poof*

Finally made it to the new location last night! It is HUGE compared to the old place, which is great that more people will be able to enjoy it. We had a reservation (love that you can do that now) and were seated on the "quiet" side, so I can't vouch for the noise level on the other. We had a 7:30 reservation, and the place was packed the whole time we were there. I do wish there was a bar though, cause we got there early and were forced to get a drink over at Velocity 5 across the street. I would've much rather had a pre-dinner glass of wine at Ray's.

The cashews to start the meal were so addictive. Ray's should think about selling these on the side (or at least let us know what seasoning/recipe is used). All four of us got the Bistro Special for dinner (nearly impossible to pass up), and all four started with the crab bisque. I was tempted by the raves about the clam chowder, but maybe I'll try that on the next trip. The bisque was great as always and a comforting soup on such a gross and rainy night. I never ceased to be amazed at the ridiculous amount of crab in each cup.

For dinner three ordered the hanger and one got the bacon-wrapped scallops. Garlic and non-garlic mashed potatoes came out, along with the creamed spinach. At the last minute I decided to add sauteed garlic to my steak, and they were great both on the steak and mixed into the potatoes. I was tempted to try it blackened (I LOVE fish, chicken, scallops, etc blackened), but was afraid it would overwhelm the wonderful steak taste. Since we knew we had dessert coming next, every was able to save about half of their entree to take home.

Desserts were two key lime pies, one cheesecake and one milk chocolate mousse. I think key lime pie is definitely my favorite end to a steakhouse meal. It's tart and tangy and generally a fairly light end to a rich dinner. The cheesecake and mousse were both outstanding, but the pie was wonderful and the graham cracker crust was awesome.

My one minor beef (pun intended) with the meal was that when we asked to take our leftovers to go, our server merely brought out to-go boxes for us to pack it ourselves, instead of taking the plates back to the kitchen and adding in some extra sides. Being the brazen ladies we are, we asked if he wouldn't mind bringing out some extra sides for us, so he brought another tray of potatoes and spinach for us to squirrel away for lunch today.

After splitting a bottle of wine and each having soup, steak/scallops (with leftovers), sides and desserts our total after tax came to $33. Insane! Can't wait to go back.

Perfect place to celebrate a birthday dinner tonight. Everything was perfect but the best part of the night was when my 5 year old (after devouring 1/2 of the hanger steak) turned to me and said "why have you never brought me to this place before, this is awesome.

I had the bistro special with crab bisque, hanger steak and key lime pie. Also had a NY strip, which was perfect. They were nice enough to split the bistro special for my two kids (salad, hanger and cheesecake). Also had the Las Perdices malbec.

Great birthday meal, could not have asked for more.

Finally made it to the new mothership last night. Different space, bigger space, same spirit.

There's something to be said for the combo of a well charred medium rare strip steak and roasted bone marrow.

There's something further to be said for a 2005 Domaine de Cristia Chateauneuf du Pape for $55.

PS - Just in case it has to be said, I am well known as a rabid Ray's fan and anything I have to say in praise of the various Ray's outposts should be taken with the knowledge that I actually have a favorite bar stool at RTC.

PPS - Third from the far end in case you were curious.

PPS - Third from the far end in case you were curious.[/size]
Second from the far end totally sucks. The light fixture hangs directly in front of the TV and obscures any chance of watching Ovie pot one top shelf, right where momma hides the cookies.

Second from the far end totally sucks. The light fixture hangs directly in front of the TV and obscures any chance of watching Ovie pot one top shelf, right where momma hides the cookies.
Remind me, how did Les Habitants do this year?

eta -- :D

I finally tried the crab bisque. Yikes. I did NOT need to know how good it really is.

I'm a goofball for not remembering his name, but our server was awesome. Best service I've ever had at either location awesome. Times like that are such a treat no matter where I'm dining.

I thought I would never break away from the dark chocolate mousse, but my date suggested pairing the coconut cream pie with the white chocolate. Damn, it's as good as the dark chocolate. I wanted to cry when I realized that if I ate one more bite of anything I might keel over and die. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about that half-serving of mousse we couldn't finish.

Heading to Ray's tonight with some co-workers. One guy has never been and is pretty excited about going. We plan on hitting Mark up for some suggestions. I'll report back on what the newbie thinks.

I love introducing new folks to Ray's! If anyone else is there around 6, look for my shiny bald head and say hello!

Cheers!

Claudia and I had dinner at Ray's on Wednesday night (8:30 pm). The service was outstanding (thank you Murphy!). The pace was very nice, not rushed, not slow but just right. The food has been spoken about way to much for me to comment on, other than I tried the great "tiger's milk" treat for the first time. The bathroom was clean, the wait staff attentive. The only service glitches we noticed was that one of our salads came out solo and the second one came out 5 minutes later (we both had the bacon salad and the bistro special). The second "glitch" is that I was served first for every course. Now, in all fairness, I have been known to wear a kilt from time to time, but this time was not the case. I may be old fashion, but I still feel the women should be served first.

It is truly amazing watch Mr. Mark work the room. I would think it's hard being "on" all the time, but his genuine enjoyment shines through. A great BIG thank you!! for the great wine recommendation and for being so lovely to my cousin, who is visiting from Chicago. He ordered a House steak, and being from Chicago, I had to bring here to get the true steak experience, compared to the old Carson's or Lawry's experience. Gebaby worked through a good portion of the soft, rosemary-olive oil bread, along with a small side of macaroni and cheese. The 7oz portion of the crab entree (sadly, I can't remember the exact name) was enough for me, with extra (yippee!) leftover to carry through another day. A few pieces of the peanut-hazelnut-chocolate-bites were a lovely way to end a great start to a family visit.

Well, after much anticipation, I finally tried Ray's 2 weeks ago and it was really, really, really disappointing.

I have truly had better meals at the Outback Steakhouse. Now perhaps the reasoning for this is that it was fairly late when we dined (we were seated at around 10:30), but I believe that if you seat someone, you deserve to give them the experience they deserve. The service was horrible. The restaurant was not even 1/3 filled, and the server sat us directly behind a trio of very loud, very drunk individuals. We asked the waitress for wine suggestions, was offered a shrug so just picked something in our price range. We were never asked if we wanted more wine. I guess they wanted us to close up.

The food. Well, the potatoes were good. The spinach was very cold. I had "The Blue Devil", and it was incredibly tough. I could barely eat more than 1/3 of it, my jaw was in such pain. The highlight of the meal for me was the little peanut butter square that came at the end of the meal. My companions had also ordered their steaks medium rare but they were definitely just rare.

I am really disappointed with Ray's - I love Hellburger and was excited about trying Ray's the Steaks. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype whatsoever.

I've been putting off my latest report here. Not for any reason other than I'm just lazy.

Having Mark around is just too cool for school. I've always gone to Ray's for great fun and great food in a casual atmosphere: like that delightful lake you visit every summer with the tire swing and the sunshine and the delightful beef-scented breeze. Having Mark around is like... you go every year, have a blast, but THIS year Hugh Jackman is staying in the cabin next door. Hollywooooooooooood!

The bistro special continues to be one of the best deals in town. $24 for what is essentially five courses of superb food, the centerpiece of which is one of the most coveted parts of the cow: the hanger (attractive even on cows that only get by on personality or that need udder implants).

And the by the glass pours are even more generous than before. Really liked my Annabella cab... really smooth, if a little hard to taste right after the cashews. :D

Well, after much anticipation, I finally tried Ray's 2 weeks ago and it was really, really, really disappointing.

I have truly had better meals at the Outback Steakhouse. Now perhaps the reasoning for this is that it was fairly late when we dined (we were seated at around 10:30), but I believe that if you seat someone, you deserve to give them the experience they deserve. The service was horrible. The restaurant was not even 1/3 filled, and the server sat us directly behind a trio of very loud, very drunk individuals. We asked the waitress for wine suggestions, was offered a shrug so just picked something in our price range. We were never asked if we wanted more wine. I guess they wanted us to close up.

The food. Well, the potatoes were good. The spinach was very cold. I had "The Blue Devil", and it was incredibly tough. I could barely eat more than 1/3 of it, my jaw was in such pain. The highlight of the meal for me was the little peanut butter square that came at the end of the meal. My companions had also ordered their steaks medium rare but they were definitely just rare.

I am really disappointed with Ray's - I love Hellburger and was excited about trying Ray's the Steaks. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype whatsoever.

I understand it was late, but was there any interaction with a manager to express your concerns and try to see if things could be made right? I'm usually not one of those "I'm sending this back!" types, but I probably would have done so for the cold spinach and the improperly cooked steaks.

I understand it was late, but was there any interaction with a manager to express your concerns and try to see if things could be made right? I'm usually not one of those "I'm sending this back!" types, but I probably would have done so for the cold spinach and the improperly cooked steaks.

I usually go at 5:30 and have always had a great meal. I think rolling into any restaurant a half hour or so before closing is a gamble. Would the finest of restaurants even take you in at that time? I would say that they were probably not prepared to have a new group start dining at that time. What front of the house person would send away plates in these times? You should try again at a more reasonable time.

And the by the glass pours are even more generous than before. Really liked my Annabella cab... really smooth, if a little hard to taste right after the cashews. :D

Is it appropriate to seek out Mark's advice when you're just going to have a couple of glasses, or only when at least a full bottle will be involved?

Is it appropriate to seek out Mark's advice when you're just going to have a couple of glasses, or only when at least a full bottle will be involved?

It's always appropriate--Mark is already starting to punch up the by-the-glass list.

Also, remember that VA is a "brown-bag" state...you are allowed to take a re-closed, unfinished bottle with you. And the sub-$40 1999 Mencia from the Spanish section of the list is boffo.

I've been in twice recently for dinner with a non-drinking colleague, and both times I asked Mark to just pour me a glass of whatever he liked with the hangar. Never did I feel that he felt put upon to offer suggestions since I was only ordering the single glass, and both times he stopped by to make sure I liked the choice.

I've been in twice recently for dinner with a non-drinking colleague, and both times I asked Mark to just pour me a glass of whatever he liked with the hangar. Never did I feel that he felt put upon to offer suggestions since I was only ordering the single glass, and both times he stopped by to make sure I liked the choice.
He's having fun. If your job were an ice cream taster, wouldn't you enjoy every spoonful just as much as eating a whole carton?

I usually go at 5:30 and have always had a great meal. I think rolling into any restaurant a half hour or so before closing is a gamble. Would the finest of restaurants even take you in at that time? I would say that they were probably not prepared to have a new group start dining at that time. What front of the house person would send away plates in these times? You should try again at a more reasonable time.
What if they had been waiting for a table for all that time? Should they have to go home and try again at a "more reasonable hour?" They were seated. Period. They should have been offered good service, and correctly cooked food, no matter what the hour they got a table. If they arrived close to closing time and the manager chose to seat them, then it's up to the restaurant to provide a decent experience.

This irks me almost as much as the "you should have known to order XXX" apologists. I mean, really.

This is a totally asinine. I've had restaurants let me in at the edge of closing and give me shitty service and my attitude is -- "if you weren't willing to do it right, why did you let me in in the first place?" Too bad the servers had to work late just to get a crappy tip, but they earned it.

A "reasonable time" is any time a restaurant's doors are open.

That being said, I've gone to various Ray's late and never found the experience to be worse or better than prime time.

The thing about Mark (to my mind) is that he just fucking loves wine, and loves sharing it. He is the sommeliere version of Deadhead/Jesus Freak/coke fiend who takes delight in turning you on.

Hadn't visited since February...the first month Michael was open in the new location. This visit was much, much smoother. My summary: simple and classic stuff executed very well. Also of note, nothing is light. Among four, we had:

-Devilishly Good Eggs

-Bacon App.

-Four Sunday specials (two clam chowders, two crab bisques, two onglets, two bacon-wrapped medallions, two key lime pies, one dark chocolate mousse, one coconut cream pie)

-Two bottles of Gamay

The eggs and tartare offer a really nice and surprisingly refreshing start to things. The raw meat was bright, the toast points amuse me (friggin' Wonder Bread!), and the cornichons and capers were wonderfully tart.

I hadn't had the bacon before. Despite appearances of being extremely fatty and gristly, these slabs were most certainly not either of those things. Mostly meat tissue. Expecting to be turned off by the weight of this pork in my mouth, the bacon didn't leave any sort of waxy or fatty feeling. Salty and smoky, this was a nice surprise.

I had the crab bisque and found it to be as good as ever. I'd say half the cup was taken up by crab meat instead of liquid. Amazing. This sort of treatment is what I wish every restaurant achieved. I HATE going to a restaurant and having the place skimp on the featured ingredient of a dish. Sometimes I get overly caught up in the value concept and end up distracted from a nice product 'cause I feel like I'm being shafted. Ray's keeps value in the front of my mind, but for the right reasons. I'm reminded how much better I feel about spending good money on food that is plentiful and meets a high quality standard.

Based on some previous posts in this thread, I encouraged tablemates to get the clam chowder. It's a good soup, but we all agreed the crab is king.

Only thing to say about my steak is that it was very near perfect. I'm loath to call anything perfectly perfect, but this was close. My wife continues to be slightly dismayed with Ray's cooking her steaks a little cooler than she prefers, but I'm content to get a med.-rare closer to rare than medium. My onglet was a wonderful steak. My wife didn't send anything back and I think she's coming around to medium-rare instead of medium.

Sides were standard and flavorful. I actually prefer skins in my mashed potatoes, so the sheer whiteness of the mashed at Ray's throws me a bit, but that's hardly something to complain about. I love that the spinach has a great creamy flavor without feeling too heavy. A nice balance.

I tasted all desserts. Wanted to get the coconut cream, but my mother put dibs on that and I felt someone had to play sacrificial lamb and get some mousse. I loved all the sweets for different reasons. The family was in town from Miami (I was raised there) and we all thought the key lime pie has the right amount of sharpness and brightness and tang. It's a good pie. I only took a tiny bite of coconut and can report I know I'll get it next time. I can't remember much about the exact flavor, but it definitely drew me in and left me wanting a full piece to explore. The mousse was good and chocolate-y. Too much whipped cream for my taste, but, then again, I don't really prefer whipped cream on anything.

I don't think Mark was on staff Sunday night, so I was left to pick our wines. The waitress wasn't familiar with the Gamay (from Beaujolais, not California) I locked in on and she explained it was newly added. I lucked out and drew much praise from my family for an excellent choice. If anyone in the group had had scallops, I think this lighter red would've been fine with the seafood.

Service was really cheery and friendly. Stemware and utensils were spotless.

I was very, very full after this whirlwind tour. I think I've only been fuller four or five other times in my life. Leftovers over the past two days have been great. Steaks brought to room temperature are almost as good as when warm.

We're walking distance to 2Amys. I wish we were, somehow, also walking distance to Ray's!