Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Anyone been to RTS on a weeknight recently? We're planning on going there on Wednesday, but since some members of the party can't get there until 8 pm, some other folks would like to get there a little earlier to put our name down. There will be five of us, to make it that much more difficult. Can we expect a 30 minute wait at least?

Typical waits on a weekday, peak times (6:30-8:30), are 1 to 1 1/2 hours. To avoid waits, you can come by the restaurant any time after 4 (about 80% of the time either I or that girl, whatshername, will be there to take names from 12, and from 2 about 90%) and put your name down on the list for your choice of times later that same day. Once your name is on the list, you do not have to wait at the restaurant, simply return at that time and you will be seated right away or shortly thereafter. If we are on a wait, the party must be complete before being seated so that complete parties do not have to wait while otherwise available tables are partly occupied (I know that this is a touchstone for controversy and ire, but I also think that, when explained this way, the reasoning and fairness behind this system are quite evident).

The best strategy to dining at Ray's is to stop in on your way home from work, while out running errands, or before your movie, put your name on the list, go about your business, and come back later for dinner at the appointed time.

I would also recommend, as an interim activity, vigorous intercourse to work up an appetite for the delicious steak that awaits you, and then have that steak also serve as just reward for a job well done. The minimum time necessary for this just happens to be the average wait time for a table at Ray's. Coincidence? Or part of a larger plan?

The Tristero will not reveal. Just ask the axis.

I would also recommend, as an interim activity, vigorous intercourse to work up an appetite for the delicious steak that awaits you, and then have that steak also serve as just reward for a job well done.
What some enjoy as an appetizer, others prefer as dessert. Many of those who appreciate the finer things in life consider an imaginative and passionate grope the perfect amuse-bouche before a great steak. To each his/her own.

I would also recommend, as an interim activity, vigorous intercourse to work up an appetite for the delicious steak that awaits you, and then have that steak also serve as just reward for a job well done. The minimum time necessary for this just happens to be the average wait time for a table at Ray's. Coincidence? Or part of a larger plan?
Thanks, Michael. Sounds like the male version of Valentine's Day, to be celebrated on March 15.

ML, I tried to PM you but it says your inbox is full. I will be in tomorrow night and would love to try either the sidekick or a between-the-bones cut. If I ask the bartender (his name escapes me right now), will he know what I am talking about or should I try to find you if you're in house?

Thanks.

Just got the word, Ray the Steaks is moving to Courthouse on N. Adams Street/wilson blvd. Any truth to this? That would make a great addition to the already upcoming restaurant boom..

Just got the word, Ray the Steaks is moving to Courthouse on N. Adams Street/wilson blvd. Any truth to this? That would make a great addition to the already upcoming restaurant boom..

It was reported in the Post, click, a while ago. I have heard nothing of when it is opening, have you?

It's discussed in the RTS thread.

Is there any way of being sure that RTS will be open/available on a certain night? We have a party of 7 people, and I'd love to bring everybody to Ray's next Thursday (12/20) but need to be sure that we can be seated/eating because I don't even want to think about how hard it would be to find a place that would take 7 people off the street on a Thursday night this close to Christmas!!!

Follow the rules, stop by early and put your name on the list. bribe some street people to put your name on the list.

Is there any way of being sure that RTS will be open/available on a certain night? We have a party of 7 people, and I'd love to bring everybody to Ray's next Thursday (12/20) but need to be sure that we can be seated/eating because I don't even want to think about how hard it would be to find a place that would take 7 people off the street on a Thursday night this close to Christmas!!!

Follow the rules, stop by early and put your name on the list. bribe some street people to put your name on the list.

Yes, that is the procedure -- when Ray's is open. I was wondering if there were any way to know in advance if it were going to be shut/reserved for a private party/etc. on a specific night.

Yes, that is the procedure -- when Ray's is open. I was wondering if there were any way to know in advance if it were going to be shut/reserved for a private party/etc. on a specific night.

Despite many many lucrative offers, we never close the restaurant entirely for a private party. Thursday 20th we are open as usual and will be taking names.

Does anyone know what evenings Ray's will be open during the holidays? I seem to remember a shutdown at some point, but I am not sure when.

Thanks!

Alex

Ray's The Steaks will be closed this year only on December 24th, 25th and 26th, serving dinner as usual elsewise.

We will be open on December 31 serving our regular dinner menu as usual (as we will be doing in Siver Spring as well). We will not be taking reservations (we are in Silver Spring), but will be first-come, first-serve with the whole list thing starting at 4 (feel free to try coming by sooner, but we guarantee someone there by 4).

We'll probably be closed at least the 1st, if not a coupla three days more.

You could call Rays...
Actually, you kinda can't--unless you want to listen to our machine (which does not yet have holiday info on the outgoing message).

Well, maybe the owner will show up and answer the question. Though I hear that his Monday afternoons are often not spent on-line.

We had an absolutely lovely time at Ray's last night. We brought our friends and their parents, who are from Texas, and we all walked away well satisfied! The Ramsay was not on the wine list this time, so we tried the River Road, which was delicious. The steaks were perfect, the surprise vegetarian was very pleased with her sides and with the shared sides, and we made it through two platters of scallops, salads for half the table, all our cashews, four steaks, caviar and salmon, and one steak salad, plus two chocolate mousses and one fabulous key lime pie (well, maybe not as much "made it through" as "ate until we could eat no more, upon which we all took leftovers home"). The hostess was very helpful and even actually apologized for "over pouring" the glasses of Rock Rabbit we had while waiting for our friends to arrive. Is such a thing even possible? :( We also had our favorite waitress -- now pregnant! Everyone left warm, full, happy, slightly hoarse, and with leftovers for the next day. The only slight issue that marred the experience for me was, when we were helping a couple who left with great disappointment at the lack of immediate/before 10 pm seating to understand how the system works, some blow-hard walked in as we were saying "you can't call and make a reservation," and replied "yes you can, if you have Michael's phone number." Of course, he did manage to get his party of 6 seated, so no offense, Michael, if he's an investor or friend, but it really rubbed me the wrong way...

We had an absolutely lovely time at Ray's last night. We brought our friends and their parents, who are from Texas, and we all walked away well satisfied! The Ramsay was not on the wine list this time, so we tried the River Road, which was delicious. The steaks were perfect, the surprise vegetarian was very pleased with her sides and with the shared sides, and we made it through two platters of scallops, salads for half the table, all our cashews, four steaks, caviar and salmon, and one steak salad, plus two chocolate mousses and one fabulous key lime pie (well, maybe not as much "made it through" as "ate until we could eat no more, upon which we all took leftovers home"). The hostess was very helpful and even actually apologized for "over pouring" the glasses of Rock Rabbit we had while waiting for our friends to arrive. Is such a thing even possible? :( We also had our favorite waitress -- now pregnant! Everyone left warm, full, happy, slightly hoarse, and with leftovers for the next day. The only slight issue that marred the experience for me was, when we were helping a couple who left with great disappointment at the lack of immediate/before 10 pm seating to understand how the system works, some blow-hard walked in as we were saying "you can't call and make a reservation," and replied "yes you can, if you have Michael's phone number." Of course, he did manage to get his party of 6 seated, so no offense, Michael, if he's an investor or friend, but it really rubbed me the wrong way...

Trust me, I have exactly 0 investors, and even fewer friends.

Anyone who does legitimately have my number knows not to be an ass about it, and the guiding principle behind Ray's The Steaks is that no one has claim to special privileges--not even me. To this day, in almost six years, I have not sat down to dinner in Ray's The Steaks, so what you say more than rubs me the wrong way, it galls me.

Sorry you had to witness that boorishness, and trust me, an investigation has been launched...

Trust me, I have exactly 0 investors, and even fewer friends.

Anyone who does legitimately have my number knows not to be an ass about it, and the guiding principle behind Ray's The Steaks is that no one has claim to special privileges--not even me. To this day, in almost six years, I have not sat down to dinner in Ray's The Steaks, so what you say more than rubs me the wrong way, it galls me.

Sorry you had to witness that boorishness, and trust me, an investigation has been launched...

I wish more restaurant-folk had this attitude. Might cut down on the self-entitled behavior that seems prevalent these days.

The hostess was very helpful and even actually apologized for "over pouring" the glasses of Rock Rabbit we had while waiting for our friends to arrive.
I'm am always surprised by the size of the "by the glass" pours at Ray's. Rather than order a bottle, you probably get more wine for less money just by ordering multiple glasses. :(

PS - How do they make their hot chocolate so good? I REALLY hit the spot last night...

Speaking of hitting the spot... it's leftover time...

Ms. Alex and I had an enjoyable New Year's Eve Eve dinner at Ray's this past Sunday. (Thanks, Michael and Don.) I ordered the cowboy cut ribeye, she the steak diablo, both of which were cooked just as ordered and which also gave us enough leftovers for another meal and a half. Enough folks have commented on the food to make anything I'd add superfluous. The cashews were addictive, but I forced myself to stop so I wouldn't dull my taste buds for the wine (Mt. Veeder cab).

Michael,

For one who is supposedly technophobic, how is it that you are on vacation, opening a restaurant, painting a wall, reinventing the wheel, avoiding customers, creditors and investors, while still responding to posts on DR? Please don't tell me you have a crack-berry addiction going on.....

Please, no speculation...

The Rays the Classics thread is closed, but I thought that all would like to know that the restaurant has reopened. I just called, and their hours tonight are six to ten pm. I believe that rumors of this were in the "Going Out Gurus" blog in the WP yesterday.

The Rays the Classics thread is closed, but I thought that all would like to know that the restaurant has reopened. I just called, and their hours tonight are six to ten pm. I believe that rumors of this were in the "Going Out Gurus" blog in the WP yesterday.
Should I be worried that the flashing neon sign outside now says "Ray's the Vegan Tofu Carryout"? That's some tweaking...

I know this question has been asked in various forms before, but a slightly different take: how difficult is it to actually get on the list for the time you want on a Saturday night? I know one shows up during the afternoon and asks for a certain time, but do people line up on Saturday afternoons to get the primetime spots on Saturday nights? I have a party of six interested in a Saturday night. There are babysitters involved, so we need to be reasonably certain about what time we'll get a table.

Thanks.

I know this question has been asked in various forms before, but a slightly different take: how difficult is it to actually get on the list for the time you want on a Saturday night? I know one shows up during the afternoon and asks for a certain time, but do people line up on Saturday afternoons to get the primetime spots on Saturday nights? I have a party of six interested in a Saturday night. There are babysitters involved, so we need to be reasonably certain about what time we'll get a table.

Thanks.

They seat different sized parties at different times. I can't recall exactly, but there were two of us and I was aiming for one time, but it had to be a different time due to the seating plan. (It was on the hour for one size table as opposed to on the half hour for a different size table, I think.) This may not be terribly helpful information :(.

Thanks.

Typical waits on a weekday, peak times (6:30-8:30), are 1 to 1 1/2 hours. To avoid waits, you can come by the restaurant any time after 4 (about 80% of the time either I or that girl, whatshername, will be there to take names from 12, and from 2 about 90%) and put your name down on the list for your choice of times later that same day. Once your name is on the list, you do not have to wait at the restaurant, simply return at that time and you will be seated right away or shortly thereafter. If we are on a wait, the party must be complete before being seated so that complete parties do not have to wait while otherwise available tables are partly occupied (I know that this is a touchstone for controversy and ire, but I also think that, when explained this way, the reasoning and fairness behind this system are quite evident).

I have always been able to get a table following Michael's advice. I drive by around 1PM and if no one is there I run some errands in the area and come back after 2PM. Just walk in, smile, say hello, and ask to be added to the list for the evening. No problems. Rib-eye with mushroom sauce mmmm mmmm GOOD!

Great pre-Superbowl dinner at RTS tonight. No line at 5:00 and everyone was accommodated. Dinner was comfortably leisurely because no throngs were waiting to get in. Hanger steak was even better than usual. perfectly medium rare with crusty surface and wonderfully beefy flavor. Wish I could do that at home. Mrs. dcdavidm's steak diablo also was perfect and the huge leftovers will be the basis for tomorrow's dinner. The Sunday ritual at Ray's certainly can become habit forming.

Great pre-Superbowl dinner at RTS tonight. No line at 5:00 and everyone was accommodated. Dinner was comfortably leisurely because no throngs were waiting to get in. Hanger steak was even better than usual. perfectly medium rare with crusty surface and wonderfully beefy flavor. Wish I could do that at home. Mrs. dcdavidm's steak diablo also was perfect and the huge leftovers will be the basis for tomorrow's dinner. The Sunday ritual at Ray's certainly can become habit forming.

Are they still donating Sunday night dinner proceeds to charities? That makes the ritual even better.

Questions for M. Landrum: how much spinach does the restaurant go through in one day? And what volume does such a mass occupy?

Consider: a delicious callette steak containing 10 mg of iron is separated from an infinite frictionless plane of spinach containing 50 mg / m^2 of iron by a normal distance of one meter. Moving at 0.5 m/s the steak travels a line bisecting two diners each carrying a charge of 1 mC.

1. Which diner(s) get fourth-class-service? Explain.
  2. Calculate the amount of time between the steak's moment of closest approach to the diners and the next complaint to Sietsema's online chat.
  3. Restaurant staff introduces a vacuum. What is the effect on the previous value?
  4. Both diners are told this is the last callette: guns or knives?
  5. What if one diner is carrying a charge of 1 amEx instead?

Questions for M. Landrum: how much spinach does the restaurant go through in one day? And what volume does such a mass occupy?

We go through about 40 pounds of spinach a day, which requires about 15 quarts of our bechamel base to be turned into about 40 quarts of creamy goodness.

We use about 75 pounds of potatoes and 20 quarts of dairy for our mashed potatoes resulting in 60 quarts of finished product.

The daily cost to us of our free sides is about $200. Add in the cashews and hot chocolate/tiger butter and that goes up to about $300 a day for our lagniappes.

Just went to Ray's tonite for the first time since they just after they opened way back in the day. It was a swift kick in my butt to remind me to eat here more often. Such a great meal for an amazing price. The Sunday three course special is an unbelievable deal. I went went with the $25 option. Started with the onion soup - great flavor, just the right amount of cheese. Too often, onion soup is ruined by the giant layer of cheese on top. Ray's did it right - just the necessary sprinkling. I then had the Sirloin Diablo - amazing steak served with chipotle sauce, sauteed garlic, and grilled onions. That steak alone is worth the $25. For dessert I had the chocolate caramel cake. Perfect ending.

As much of a pain it is to drive there to get the walk in reservation (esp for someone like me who lives in upper NW DC), once you eat here, all is right in the world.

Great pre-Superbowl dinner at RTS tonight. No line at 5:00 and everyone was accommodated. Dinner was comfortably leisurely because no throngs were waiting to get in.
The throngs were back last night at 5. We arrived early and put our name on the list, but were a little confused once the doors opened and there was a crush to get in. We did get seated promptly, so the staff knows the drill even if the patrons aren't sure. :mellow: Our service was good, with a couple of very minor delays. Seating the entire restaurant at once means that some people wait a little longer than others for their food, but on the whole it's a marvel at how efficient the kitchen and wait staff is at getting people their food and drinks in a timely manner.

The kids split a medium rare hanger steak, Scott had the Black and blue, and I had the house special, with side orders of mushrooms and broccoli for the kids. Steaks were, of course, excellent, although next time I will skip the blue cheese on mine. Ian added RtS to the select list of restaurants where he eats salad, and the mashed potatoes were a big hit. I appreciated the cool temperature of my glass of Pinot Noir, and the crab bisque, which was better there than at Ray's the Classics. We skipped dessert for homemade brownies.

Sunday night dinner is a good deal, and it's great that part of the cost is donated to charity, but I am somewhat spoiled at having RtC a mile from home and prefer the ambiance there to the crowds at RtS. Maybe someday Mr Landrum will have a similar charity program at his place in Silver Spring. :)

Sunday night dinner is a good deal, and it's great that part of the cost is donated to charity, but I am somewhat spoiled at having RtC a mile from home and prefer the ambiance there to the crowds at RtS. Maybe someday Mr Landrum will have a similar charity program at his place in Silver Spring. :mellow:

I think you can dine at RtC with perfect confidence that, as a restaurant group, the costs of such a generous charitable contribution are spread across the board. The kick-ass part is that you get to eat and drink like a king and feel good about it.

I think you can dine at RtC with perfect confidence that, as a restaurant group, the costs of such a generous charitable contribution are spread across the board. The kick-ass part is that you get to eat and drink like a king and feel good about it.
Very true. That gives me an excuse to go more often. I welcome ways to feel virtuous about my boozing.