Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

I believe that the "policy" (again that word) is that we ask people to check back in at the time we have given as a likely come-back time so that we know you are actually here and still waiting to be seated (some people do not come back and it is impossible to hold a place for people who are not present at the specified time since so many people are also waiting at that time and for later times as well). There are so many names and faces to keep track of that it is impossible to seek each and every one out. However, when all of the names that have checked in at a given time have been seated, we will seek out any remaining names before we seat tables for the next time period--either by going out into the cold or by calling you on your cell phone, which is why we ask for your number (that, and in case you leave behind your credit card, hat, scarf or gloves).

Just to make sure I have it right, what if I'm playing in a match that afternoon? Do I move clothes to the lower peg immediately after lunch or do I wait until I write my letter home if I'm not getting my hair cut? :lol:

My wife and I went early on Sunday thinking that we would try and beat the crowds. We got there right as Ray's opened and there was already a line to get in. The hostess quickly and efficiently went through the list and got everyone to their seats. After the hostess was done with the list she sat the people waiting in line. We had to wait for maybe five minutes for her to get to us. Inside of 15 minutes the place was full.

Considering how quickly everyone was sat I was expecting some delay in service. I used to wait tables so I know what it is like to be triple sat. The waitstaff had it even worse and they handled it eficiently and with a smile.

My wife and I each had the soup which came out quickly after we ordered it. For our main course she had the Shrimp entree and I had the Rib Eye with garlic, onions, and the blue cheese sauce. The food came out quickly and was all great as usual. My only regret is that when its only a two top, they only seem to bring the regular mashed potatoes. The regular potatoes while good, pale in comparisson to the garlic mashed potatoes. Next time I'll be sure to request those next time.

When all was said and done we were in and out in an hour. We had a great meal. Its probably a good thing that Ray's is 35 minutes from my house. I would go too often.

The table next to us was talking some smack about the place, but what did he know? He was ordering his steak Medium Well. What a waste.

My wife and I are going to a show at Iota and thinking of stopping in a RTS beforehand for dinner. Although we've had pretty much every cut of steak at RTC, we've never been to RTS.

The question is: Is there enough of a difference to try RTS? Or should we take the opportunity to try something completely different in the area?

My wife and I are going to a show at Iota and thinking of stopping in a RTS beforehand for dinner. Although we've had pretty much every cut of steak at RTC, we've never been to RTS.

The question is: Is there enough of a difference to try RTS? Or should we take the opportunity to try something completely different in the area?

The beauty of RTS is the value. I think RTS is a classic in and of itself and does it right. I'm not so sold on the rest of the restaurants in the area, but if you wanted something other than steak Sette Bello isn't bad and is closer to Iota. Within walking distance at that. RTS is kind of a hike from Iota, but not overly far. Strangely enough the food at Iota isn't bad. It's actually worth eating every once in a while.

Edit for a quick error. Thanks to crackers for catching my misteak :lol:

I realize that this is the Ray's thread, but there is nothing wrong with eating at Iota. You might be surprised. One benefit in eating at Iota is that you can get your hand stamped early (before dinner) and avoid "the show is sold out" blues.
Agreed with everyone who says the food at Iota is good. I've eaten there several times and really enjoy the food. It's just that the show we're going to is on a Sat night so we'll have plenty of time to try something new in the area. RTS just seemed like an obvious starting point. But I'm more than happy to entertain other options!

Agreed with everyone who says the food at Iota is good. I've eaten there several times and really enjoy the food. It's just that the show we're going to is on a Sat night so we'll have plenty of time to try something new in the area. RTS just seemed like an obvious starting point. But I'm more than happy to entertain other options!

If you want to get into Ray's on a Saturday night you need to get to the restuarant around 4pm (sometimes the door is open earlier) and leave your name on the "reservation" list. If you are not on the list you may have a hard time getting a table. You may want to hedge on the early side so that you do not miss your show. The steaks are worth the hassle of getting a seat.

Guajillo is right next door to Ray's and is also good. They also take "traditional" reservations.

http://www.waheeyo.com/

Iota's food is ok, nothing spectacular, but on our last occasion there we experienced dreadful service (we were practically ignored the entire meal). Besides Rays (which is the best in the area and quite different in ambience than RTC), close by there is Dehli Club (walkable to Iota), Minh's, Guajillo (next to Rays) and Tallula/EatBar (we haven't been since the EatBar addition).

My husband wants to hit RTS again next week, and the only good day on our schedule is Wednesday. Uh oh. So... Ray's The Steaks on Valentine's Day, around 9pm: sheer lunacy or possibly bearable?

edit: Ah, just spotted Landrum's message on the VD thread. Message left, fingers crossed.

From Linda Roth's The Latest Dish:

"Ray`s The Steaks is Rosslyn is doing so well they are moving to bigger space in Clarendon at the Navy League Building on Wilson Blvd. Owner Michael Landrum has no official opening date yet."

The Navy League Building is actually Courthouse, not Clarendon. I know this because my company is headquartered on the third floor of that building.

If this is true, very bad for my wallet and waistline.

"Ray`s The Steaks is Rosslyn is doing so well they are moving to bigger space in Clarendon at the Navy League Building on Wilson Blvd. Owner Michael Landrum has no official opening date yet."

The Navy League Building is actually Courthouse, not Clarendon. I know this because my company is headquartered on the third floor of that building.

Is that the same building with the Five Guys?

Ray's and Five Guys in one place? Now all I need is for Rachael Ray to open up a store that sells Star Wars memorabilia there.

"Honey, I'm going out. I'll be back in eighty years."

Is this closer to the Courthouse Metro than RTS currently is?

About 1 block away.

There's no surface lot at the building, but plenty of metered street parking, several surface lots within 1-2 blocks, and an underground garage within the building.

Damn, Damn, Damn....until 3 months ago we lived across the street from this building, it is where the Five Guys and the really bad Thai place is located. We gave it all up for homeownership, and now this happens. Street Parking at night is pretty good in the area, at least until the new Ray's opens.

Oh! Duh! Valentine's Day! And here I've been spending hours looking around for a totally different thread with his post. :lol:

Phbbtt. It's not like RTS is the first (or 364th) restaurant that comes to mind when you're thinking of romantic Valentine's Day destinations! Our reservation has been confirmed, so that evening I'll be whispering sweet nothings to my husband like "pass the spinach with all due haste, my love." Not that he'll be able to hear a damn thing.

My husband works across the street from the actual courthouse building, and it's an easy walk from there to the new RTS site. Oh joyous day!

As my company arrived at Ray's, I dismounted and, followed by my legates, proceeded down a path strewn with eagle feathers and rose petals and flanked on either side by prostrated eunuchs. Though I enjoyed having a slave hold a crown of gilded laurels above my head, I paid little heed to his repeated mutterings: "Respica te, hominem te memento," or some such nonsense. The plebeian throngs persisted in their adoring shouts of "Exsultet! Exsultet!," but again, I paid little heed, for they were nothing to me but a looking glass which reflected my own glory which, presently, I was basking in.

As we entered the great marble hall, a troupe of lions performed a scene from Antigone prior to being slaughtered (presumably for our meal). Michael knows I like my food to have been exposed to the jeers of the crowd before I eat.

The audacity of the evening came when one of the ancillae dared look me in the eye and said "Dominae, your table is waiting." I must be sure to have her flogged.

So we sat, reclining, eating our flamingo tongues and mouse testicles, before retiring to the vomitorium where a rhinoceros was sodomized for our amusement while slaves tickled our throats with ostrich feathers.

On leaving, I enjoined three of the ancillae to accompany me to a post-triumph orgy.

And how was your Nones?

I hope you enjoyed my presentation of "See the world through the eyes of the people crowding into Ray's and pestering the staff about why a visibly packed restaurant can't immediately seat their large party on a Saturday night." Seriously, the manager put up a sign SAYING they couldn't seat anyone until later. Maybe she should have used a heavier-gauge Sharpie, or else an animated PowerPoint presentation.

When we arrived, we were starving, and I stared at every plate that went by which, for some reason, every waitress carried at chest or hip level. They must have assumed I was a lecher, what with all my drooling and staring.

My mother was impressed as always (whenever she's in town she asks for Ray's). You can tell she's a giver - I have her leftover hanger (ar?) sitting in my fridge. We should have a battle royale between the hangar and the calette. I call judge.

As I stood at the urinal, thinking of how jealous I was of my stomach for getting to taste my NY strip over and over, I happened to look up. Has anyone ever noticed how high the bathroom ceiling is? It's like being in Alice in Wonderland.

Clearly I have not fully metabolized the Ramsay...

The "hostess" in question is actually the manager whose duties include expediting when necessary, presenting checks and running credit cards, clearing, resetting and reconfiguring tables, dealing with the occasional service issue or vituperatively insane guest, as well as running, planning the seating and seating the floor to accommodate the intense and challenging demands of a large crowd looking to be seated in a small restaurant.

I thought the way Danielle handled the crowd pushing through the doors, waiting to be seated, asking to be seated, checking in how much time it would be before they could get seated while resetting and seating the table was a work of a master conductor!

The Volnay 2004 and the Jordan were perfect way to bring closure to my otherwise madness week at work.

Michael, you said at one point that RTS runs better when you're not there. After tonight's dinner, I can say that it's certainly no worse.

Not only was the food predictably tasty, the service was charming, prompt and efficient.

I was there with a friend of mine, an American who's been living in New Delhi for a couple of years. I sent him a lot of traffic about RTS and RTC, just because it was interesting and occasionally amusing. Even the nasty gossip about staff turnovers, etc. It lit a fire under him. He had to get out to Arlington as soon as he arrived in Washington.

He was bowled over. By everything. He even liked the décor, poor sucker. He insisted on paying, but practically plotzed when he saw the check. He said it was less than what he'd expect to pay for lunch in NY or Geneva where he's also lived.

He ordered the NY strip in order to compare it to Peter Luger. The verdict was -- a tie. But the amenities were way better at RTS.

I had the rib eye, a flavorful portion, the horseradish accompaniment unnecessary.

The salmon and the scallops were, by acclamation, unbeatable.

The server, Simone, came over to greet me and to indulge my barbaric Portuguese. She was recently in Rio soaking up the rays. The encounter was an unexpected pleasure, and I thank her for her kindness.

Finally, we were a bit late because of a traffic accident that clogged the road, but were seated immediately.

if you order a steak medium well you deserve to have your cut pan seared and thrown in a microwave. what are you going to notice the difference anyways- they flavor would be zapped out anyways.

Why is it a carnal sin to order a steak medium well? I think I understand why “well done” totally burns and destroys the quality of the steak…. But medium well? Does it really do that much damage?

Yes. At the risk of sounding too geeky, one of the points of great steak is the textural contrast between charred exterior, gelatinous interior and just-melting yummy yummy marbling fat. At too high internal temperature, the internal texture isn't gelatinous enough, and then you just have a monumental chew that doesn't allow for the inherent flavor to dance across the tongue.

Or something.

Disagree. I had to get used to medium well while pregnant (I refused to even consider well done). It can be done and still be flavorful. Most places don't know how to cook medium well without going too far - it takes cooking at a lower heat so that the outside isn't completely charred by the time the middle is done.

Am I crazy? Someone on chowhound posted that she thought the 40 minute wait on a Tuesday night for a 6 top was too long...In a 46 seat restaurant? Is she on crack or am I? See the thread here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/380574

While I don't think a 40 minute wait is too long considering the circumstances the chowhounder describes, she specifically says that it was too long for her. It is all subjective.

While I don't think a 40 minute wait is too long considering the circumstances the chowhounder describes, she specifically says that it was too long for her. It is all subjective.

Exactly. Under most circumstances, it's too long for me as well. By that, I mean I don't like it, not that I fault the restaurant for it. Instead, I fault the patrons and hurl profanities at them until they can't bear it any longer and vacate their tables. Or, more often, I just try to avoid dining at places and times that put me at risk of such a wait.

My dad's in town next week and has already requested an RTS trip. (I told him about RTC, but he was clear: "I want to go to the steak one.")

P.S.: Are the colons in Landrum's signature above official additions to (or longstanding but unknown to me parts of) the restaurants' names? Because they might subtly alter my inflection when saying them out loud.

Last night I found myself grateful for the close quarters in Michael's shrine to the glories of cow. Our server did not mention anything out of the ordinary concerning the night's offerings, but THANK GOODNESS I had overhead another server tell an adjoining table about that night's special - culotte. Yes, the legendary culotte.

Damn, that was fine. It was like hanger steak, only more so. I had requested some diablo sauce on the side, but found that I couldn't bear to mask any of that bovine joy.

One of these days, we're going to leave enough room for dessert. On each visit we ogle the chocolate mousse, but then our steaks arrive and we forget.

We were there also, commemorating Azami's last meal before he leaves the country for two years. For a starter, we split the mozzarella and tomatoes over field greens, which was amazingly tasty. Great tomatoes for mid-March, and I loved the basil vinaigrette. Neither of us had the culotte -- he ordered the hanger steak with sauteed garlic and I had the sirloin diablo (is that nutmeg in the diablo sauce? Hmm.). He specifically ordered the hanger for its rich, full-flavored beefiness and was very pleased. I brought my pie home and ate it while he packed. :o

I haven't been to RTS in a while and am heading there next Wednes. with some friends. So if she goes in that day after 4:30, they'll put us on the list for 7:30?

And, they haven't moved to Navy League bldg yet, right?

Can't wait to get back. Its Good Friday, so reading about steak is really killing me... even more than usual. I'm hoping that I'm not disappointed by the original after having been to RTC lately.

I haven't been to RTS in a while and am heading there next Wednes. with some friends. So if she goes in that day after 4:30, they'll put us on the list for 7:30?

Yup, if the time slot is available.

And, they haven't moved to Navy League bldg yet, right?

Not even close.

RTS was being discussed on Elliot in the Morning today. I just heard a brief bit of the show while I was out in the car, so I don't know what prompted the discussion. It sounded like maybe Elliot had been asking people for good restaurants to go to. Somebody called in while I was listening and raved about Ray's and tried to convince him to go, but he didn't sound too interested. They had talked about the restaurant before that call, though. It was the first thing I heard them mention when I turned the radio on.

I'm headed here tommorrow for the ladyfriend's birthday, and I know that everyone says that the hanger steak is the way to go, but seeing as neither of us have been to RTS (just RTC), I feel like we need to go with a more "traditional" choice of steak? The lady is a prime rib fan, and I will eat anything (within reason, of course), so I'm open to suggestions.

I'm headed here tommorrow for the ladyfriend's birthday, and I know that everyone says that the hanger steak is the way to go, but seeing as neither of us have been to RTS (just RTC), I feel like we need to go with a more "traditional" choice of steak? The lady is a prime rib fan, and I will eat anything (within reason, of course), so I'm open to suggestions.
The NY Strip is a tasty cut, and there's always the chateaubriand (sp?) for two which is very good (and abundant).

I'm a fan of the sirloin in the Blue Devil style, with chipotle diablo sauce before grilling and blue cheese crumbles, or sometimes blue cheese sauce. Big huge flavors in and on big huge steak. And a screaming bargain at $17.95 or so. Spend the money you save on a better bottle of wine :blink:

After many -- but never enough -- visits, I think I've got my order down:

If enough people to share with, the scallops to start

Black & Blue New Yorker

Lots (and lots) of garlic mashed potatoes

A bottle of Ramsay

A slice of key lime pie.

I can't believe I'm not there RIGHT NOW.

A good time was had last night celebrating the lady's birthday here last night. First of all, we arrived at approximately 10 to 9, so we didn't even have to wait that long to be seated, opting to enjoy a glass of wine while waiting. I rather enjoyed the glass of Syrah I had, but better wine-per-glass recommendations are welcome, since beer is usually my forte.

I decided to go with the NY Strip in brandy mushroom sauce, while the lady had the Blue Devil. I'm not going to go into a detailed analysis about the steak because 1) I'm not that refined in my gustatory sensibilities yet and 2) it has probably been said before in this thread a bunch of times. Needless to say, medium rare was the way to go. Great charred outside and gorgeous red interior, 'nuff said.

So, while I definitely enjoyed RTS, given that the menus are pretty similar and location is also a factor, I may find myself heading to RTC more often to sidle up to the bar if I have the hankering for some Ray's.

Still, DC is lucky to have both these establishments...which has also probably been said a 1000 times before, but bore repeating!

Sunday night is "A Place at the Table" night at Ray's. Where are all the dr.com folks helping to support a charity? :blink: Is there really anything to say that has not already been said?

Dinner was the Chateaubriand for two (excellent) and a bottle of "The Grappler" (good, but not something I would order again). One dessert option was a chocolate torte(?) with walnuts and caramel that was very good, but I still enjoy the dark chocolate mousse.

Sunday night is "A Place at the Table" night at Ray's. Where are all the dr.com folks helping to support a charity? :blink: Is there really anything to say that has not already been said?

I was there, on the early side, and it is the perfect Sunday dinner. The torte was a turtle pie and the strip diablo style was awesome.

Does Ray's place a limit on the number of patrons in a party (a la Komi - 4)? I ask because I'm heading there tomorrow - early - and our group of four (me, a client, his parents) is looking like six (another client plus his wife).

Does Ray's place a limit on the number of patrons in a party (a la Komi - 4)? I ask because I'm heading there tomorrow - early - and our group of four (me, a client, his parents) is looking like six (another client plus his wife).

I saw a table of 8 sitting down to dinner on Sunday. Call early (around 430p) and give them a heads up.

A few weeks ago the mister and I ate at RTS, and some odd things happened. One steak came out without the requested sauce, and both were undercooked (alot). We had to send them back. I mentioned it to Danielle on the way out, and she was aware that it happened, and so apologetic I felt bad for mentioning it, and took pains to point out the Steve and I have eaten here on average twice a month for over two years, and this is the first complaint we've ever had.

One out of fifty-some meals wasn't perfect. That's gotta be some sort of industry track record.

A round of applause, please, for Danielle and whoever's running the grill and all their staff. They deliver a fine experience every time (statistically speaking), and deserve as much praise as we give whatshisname ;) who's always in Silver Spring.

A round of applause, please, for Danielle and whoever's running the grill and all their staff. They deliver a fine experience every time (statistically speaking), and deserve as much praise as we give whatshisname ;) who's always in Silver Spring.
Clappity-clap. If Danielle were a hostess, I could say she had the mostest. But nothing good rhymes with manager.

I really need to get my ass back over to Arlington.