Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

If one were to go to Ray's and only order seafood dishes, one would still have a fantastic meal that would not break the bank. Saturday night found five of us at Ray's as the final top-off to Paula and her sister's birthday extravaganza. Crab bisque was raved about by several. My blackened scallop appetizer did not last long on my plate, as it was cooked perfectly with just the right amount of spice to complement the delicate flavor of the scallop. Paula's grilled shrimp scampi appetizer blew us both away and made me wish that I lived closer to Ray's. No need to wax nostalgic about the steaks that we all ordered as I cannot say anything that hasn't already been said, although I did feel like Fred Flintstone when I was presented with the 28-ounce cowboy cut with the killer diablo sauce. We washed everything down with a bottle of the EVO, which was much enjoyed. Our waitress brought us a slice of key lime pie and some milk chocolate mousse on-the-house, and finished everything off with the tiger butter, which is darn tasty. Service was terrific as we never felt rushed even though there was a huge line of people waiting outside to get in. Thanks again to Michael and staff.

You and I will have to battle it out. :unsure: We are planning to take our Peter Lugar-aficionado friend to Rays on Sat night after the Nationals game. He is a New Yorker and devoted carnivore, and we have talked up Rays as the place we must take him when he comes to town. We also plan to get there early since we are going to drive from the game and then kill some time, but I was hoping not to eat as early as 5:30....

ou cannot compare Ray's to Luger's. For that matter you cannot compare any other American steak house to Luger's either.

ou cannot compare Ray's to Luger's. For that matter you cannot compare any other American steak house to Luger's either.

Actually you have it reversed, you cannot compare any other steak house to Ray's. It is simply one of a kind and we are lucky to have it in this area. :unsure:

Having just been to Luger's last week, for about the 40th time, I can assure you that Ray's would not want to be compared to Luger's. Ray's is putting out much, much better food right now - AND has a much better winelist.

My thoughts during and after the DR.com dinner:

New Yorkers who frequent most food web sites are a smug lot. They smirk at us safe in their knowledge that their little island holds the best haute cuisine temples, the best pizza joints, the best Jewish delis, the best bare-bones steakhouses.

But I've got news for them. Ray's the Steaks is our Peter Luger. Sure, they have their different approaches, but look at the similarities.

Peter Luger's is all about the meat. And it is magnificent meat. Aged on the premises. Cooked the way you want it at high temperature. Deep, buttery flavor and texture. But Ray's is about the meat too. All the same praise that has been heaped on Luger's porterhouse can be said about Ray's strips or their other cuts. Maybe some will give Luger's meat a slight edge, but maybe that's just because they pour butter on their steaks right before serving them. Cheating? You tell me.

But give me Ray's crab bisque and scallops and Key Lime pie any day over Luger's tired tomato and onion salad. Ray's does more than one thing well. Luger really doesn't.

Granted, Luger has a 115 year head start on Ray's. But arguments can be made on both sides.

If only Michael would add an appetizer of thick sliced bacon, I'd never have to go to Brooklyn again.

I thought I remembered bilrus's take on Luger's and Rays. I actually sent this post to my aforementioned friend as enticement for coming down to DC....I personally have no dog in the fight as I've never been to Luger's.

True. Lugar's has had, how many years? 50?, to learn how to piss people off. I, on the other hand, had to do the best I could in under one.

Just think, though, to what heights of rudeness and surly service I can ascend in the years to come.

If only I could get my hands on the quality of meat that they, and only they, have access to.

If only I could get my hands on the quality of meat that they, and only they, have access to.
The excent of my knowledge of "where food comes from" is limited to "it comes from the grocery store." Where would Luger's get their meat, and how would someone else not have access to it?

But Joe, would it not be more fun to contrast rather than compare the two? I think a focus on the differences would be much more entertaining, as the succeeding posts have shown. I can think of at least two more contrasts: (1) Luger's is in NY and thus involves a long commute from DC in order to dine there whereas Ray's is in Arlington a 10 minutes drive (depending on the lights and parking), (2) Ray's takes credit cards and Luger's only takes cash.

As for comparisons, I think once you get past the facts that both establishments are restaurants and they both serve great steaks, there are very few.

I've been a Ray's hold out for many reasons, but primarily because they won't take reservations and I simply refuse to wait in line, for anything, for even a moment.

But when someone who has been to Luger's 40 times (and I assume, Keith, many other great steakshouses) says they've got nothing on Ray's, I'm tempted to drive over to Arlington on a rainy Monday night at 9PM and see if there's an open table.

Sure.

Luger serves better steaks.

Ray's has a better list; at Luger you drink Brooklyn Lager with the steaks (actually a good choice--a heavy red wine with the heavily mineral and marbled steak would be too heavy).

Luger serves French and German fries, Ray's serves great mash. Ray's spinach is miles better.

Ray's appetizers are better, except for the bacon which Ray's hasn't (and should) try. Luger serves cheap-ass Schaller bacon but in thick slices and charred on the broiler to utter yumminess.

Luger serves a better pecan pie, Ray's a better key-lime pie. Luger has schlag.

Luger takes reservations, but loses them willy-nilly. Ray's puts a human face on the seating process and is remarkably efficient and servile.

Luger is in close-in Brooklyn and surrounded by shady characters. Ray's is easily accessible by car.

Luger slices steaks and runs them back under the broiler with butter--the overall effect is quite luxurious, but overcooking is rampant. Always order one degree less, at least. Ray's lets the steak stand on itself and offers wonderful complementary sauces. But ML, would it kill you to have a bit of Bordelaise?

Luger serves only porterhouse and bone-in strip. Ray's has a bone-in rib but no bone-in strip or porterhouse.

Ray's is part of the restaurant and diner community through its talismanic chef-owner. Luger hides behind a facade of Teutonic harrumphs. And we love each of them for it, but Ray's in particular.

And I want ML to get Luger-quality beef more than just about anything in the world.

I've been a Ray's hold out for many reasons, but primarily because they won't take reservations and I simply refuse to wait in line, for anything, for even a moment.

But when someone who has been to Luger's 40 times (and I assume, Keith, many other great steakshouses) says they've got nothing on Ray's, I'm tempted to drive over to Arlington on a rainy Monday night at 9PM and see if there's an open table.

DO IT!

The excent of my knowledge of "where food comes from" is limited to "it comes from the grocery store." Where would Luger's get their meat, and how would someone else not have access to it?

They hand select their loins each day from among the neighboring dozen or so meat packers in the immediate vicinity. Each prime loin has been previously hand selected for them by the packer, aged to spec and then separated for Luger's to get first dibs on. Only the best from what has already been selected as the best--and which only they get to choose from first--makes it to their house. They have their own stamp and one of the owners goes through each day and marks what they select. Only after they are done does what is left over--albeit picked-over USDA Prime--go to other restaurants.

Also, to my knowledge, they are the only "Prime" steakhouse that actually serves the quality and grade of beef they claim to.

But ML, would it kill you to have a bit of Bordelaise?

Yes, Jake, it would.

A reduction sauce is anathema to our high-char style of grilling--and what hurts my steaks, Jake, hurts me.

The sauces we do serve are designed to pick up the char, round it out and smooth it out, and have the char enhance the flavor of the sauce the way fondant enhances the de-glazing liquid, countering whatever "dilution" to the sauce occurs from the out-flowing juices.

Also, to my knowledge, they are the only "Prime" steakhouse that actually serves the quality and grade of beef they claim to.
That's crazy. You'd think places would be legally required to alter their claims in that case. What a system.

So if they get the best of the best of the best (uh, with honors), where do you come by your beef?

Tonight, I lose my Ray's virginity. Since we're talking about comparison, I hope tonight's experience is not a fumbling and unexpectedly fast exercise in deflated expectations.
As a mega-pessimist (the glass is not 1/2 empty, it's broken and sticking in my foot) I doubt you will be dissapointed. I highly recommend the scallops as an appetizer, and more highly recommend the Key lime pie. The steaks are first rate, and cooked exactly as ordered. I don't use terms like 'swoon' or 'wow me', but you will have an excellent meal, with excellent service at a superior price.

Thanks,

Kevin

My Luger's patronage has to do with growing up in NYC with a family of red meat eaters, which led to many, many trips to Brooklyn. All I'll add to the topic is that the past few times I have been to Luger's the porterhouses have been overcooked, and sent back. This seems to happen at PL frequently, for the reasons that Jake described.

Anyway, back to topic. I'm sure you've had to wait in line for stuff before, that didn't end up half as good as Ray's. Head over and enjoy!

eta: Luger's takes cash, but also accepts it's own credit cards, FWIW.

The sauces we do serve are designed to pick up the char, round it out and smooth it out, and have the char enhance the flavor of the sauce the way fondant enhances the de-glazing liquid, countering whatever "dilution" to the sauce occurs from the out-flowing juices.
So, how do you feel about Bernaise sauce?

A reduction sauce is anathema to our high-char style of grilling--and what hurts my steaks, Jake, hurts me.

We have an anniversary coming up on Saturday night, and I had been hemming and hawing about where to go for dinner - Michael, this post sealed it for me. I don't care how long the wait is. Any place that takes the meats so seriously as to post that in a public forum has gotten our business :unsure: .

That's crazy. You'd think places would be legally required to alter their claims in that case. What a system.

So if they get the best of the best of the best (uh, with honors), where do you come by your beef?

I prefer breed-specific, natural, farm-raised beef over the commercial-hybrid, must-be-excessively-marbled-to-be-tender-and-at-all-flavorful beef that at its best--but only at its best--can still put out an amazing, mind-blowing steak.

It is a truer, cleaner, more deeply-nuanced, and richer flavor palate. Also, it has a pleasantly firm tenderness to it when properly aged, if that makes any sense, rather than the flabby dullness of commercial beef.

Maybe it is my time in Europe, but I just don't enjoy even the best steakhouse steak after the first three bites--but what a glorious three bites those can be.

Some of my beef does come in at USDA Prime, but I don't make a big deal of that since it is meaningless to my desired quality standards and flavor profiles, and a game too often cheated at to bother playing.

I will add to the above that my parents, who breed and raise cattle and almost never order steak in restaurants, were impressed by both the approach and care Michael puts into selecting his product, and by the results that care produces on the plate. They've insisted on returning to Ray's when they're next in town, and that's high praise indeed.

I'm tempted to drive over to Arlington on a rainy Monday night at 9PM and see if there's an open table.
There will be plenty of open tables, but you might be waiting for a long time. If I recall correctly, Ray's is closed on Mondays.

Mmmm. I just left this place I'm sitting to pick up key lime pie, oozing in it's styrofoam housing and surrounded by fluffy whipped cream and perfectly ripened strawberries. Now my keyboard's getting sticky. Oh, am I living in this moment :unsure: . On a whim.

(Aside: This thread firmly establishes the link between food and sex.)

Having lost my Ray's virginity last night, I'll just add another exclamation point to everything already said. I come from a casual family. (Last night, my visiting father asked if he should change into long pants for Ray's. My honest response was that I really didn't know, so he changed.) I am a casual guy. I hate jackets. I hate ties. According to my wife, I hate pants. And, accordingly, my list of favorite restaurants is populated by places that refuse to endorse the notion that high-quality food requires formality and pretension.

Add Ray's to that short list.

I think my dad could have gotten away with shorts.

High praise? Or hype Ray's? I am such a homophonophile!!!

Along those lines, if you rearrange the letters in "Ray's the Steaks" you can produce the following anagrams:

Teaser Asks Thy

Shy Seater Task

Rake Thy Assets

Coincidence? :unsure:

So what is this Sea Cucumber dipped in Astroglide? A new appetizer?

Trust me, it's more than an appetizer, although it does whet some appetites. We're talking three-course dinner with leftovers for days.

It's also what hack know-nothing wanna-be's on DCVist call me when they want to baselessly call me a prick (as opposed to someone who actually knows me and can rightfully do so) but need to hide behind some lame, cowardly journalistic pretense and to fool his dolt-headed Herausgeber.

A reduction sauce is anathema to our high-char style of grilling

The sauces we do serve are designed to pick up the char, round it out and smooth it out, and have the char enhance the flavor of the sauce ...

Forgive me for the interruption of the fun, but I actually have a serious question.

I love coming to Ray's, but my wife's palate is especially sensitive to char - she HATES when a steak has more than just the barest of grill marks - all she tastes is the carbon. If she requested, say, the NY Strip with low/no char, is this something you can accomodate without completely changing your approach?

Forgive me for the interruption of the fun, but I actually have a serious question.

I love coming to Ray's, but my wife's palate is especially sensitive to char - she HATES when a steak has more than just the barest of grill marks - all she tastes is the carbon. If she requested, say, the NY Strip with low/no char, is this something you can accomodate without completely changing your approach?

Ahem... if I may be so bold:

Have ketchup with your steak, your sauce on the side of your well-done filet, take all the pictures you want--I don't care. I'll serve whatever you want however you want, but I don't serve assholes.

-Michael Landrum, "Improprietor" of Ray's the Steaks

(PS - to elaborate on the relevance of this quote, you're being served what you want however you want - you're not the asshole of course)

Ahem... if I may be so bold:

Have ketchup with your steak, your sauce on the side of your well-done filet, take all the pictures you want--I don't care. I'll serve whatever you want however you want, but I don't serve assholes.

-Michael Landrum, "Improprietor" of Ray's the Steaks

(PS - to elaborate on the relevance of this quote, you're being served what you want however you want - you're not the asshole of course)

???

Our steaks will always have more than the barest of grill marks because of our high temperature grill, however I happily recommend that guests order their steaks with lower char to suit their taste and preference. Their is no diminishment in quality as we recognize the different preferred style and adjust the entire cooking process, not just the charring, to achieved the best desired effect. After all, it's your steak, and we are here for you. We are happy to accommodate that and any request, as long as our cooking equipment and product allow it.

Now the entrecote can be done with minimal char, in fact it is designed for that and it is a fantastic cut. Basically, our entrecote is what in American butchery would be the last 3 cuts of the rib and the first cut of the Strip, where the contiguous, or abutting, cuts widen thus producing a thinner steak (thus more quickly cooked, thus less char) with some of the flavor and qualities of both--it is leaner than the rib and more tender than the Strip. However, it is not as meaty and robust as either.

For a no-char steak, I recommend that she try the steak at where I go when I want a steak--Corduroy. He uses a USDA Prime, All Natural Brandt Farm NY Strip, trimmed and aged exactly the way we do it here, which is just fantastic, fantastic beef, beautifully pan-seared and served with Bordelaise (!) sauce and a delicious potato gratin. His steak shows some of the residual influence and refinement of Michel, who refuses to serve or even eat anything grilled. At $29, it is a steal that even makes me a little bit ashamed of my prices.

One day, Tom and I will have to do a Scallop/Steak Off for charity. Two of the best iterations of those respective dishes that you will ever find. One you take home to meet the parents, the other you trash a hotel room with.

A co-worker of mine went on Friday night. He arrived at 7:30 and was seated by 8:15. He took most of my advice except for dessert ( preferring key lime pie over chocolate mousse) and reported a very happy experience. He was dubious about the scallops at first (I thought it was a steak place--were his words...) but the crew at Ray's made a believer out of him.

A new fan!

Victory is mine!

I, too, went to Ray's for the first time this weekend - to celebrate my anniversary (as I've said, what better way to celebrate getting past the 7-year itch relatively itch-free than to eat some steak?!?). Since I had posted on DR that we were going to be there, Michael had a table waiting for us and sent over some champagne. Right away my husband and I could tell it was our kind of place - totally unpretentious but serving great, great food. Our server was very sweet and patient with us as we chose the right bottle of wine (we had the 2000 Jekel Sanctuary on her recommendation and were not disappointed). Then came the crab bisque and scallops (cooked perfectly - omg they were good) followed by the NY strip for my husband and the hanger for me. Mr. Blum had one bite of my steak and was immediately jealous although before he had that bite he said the strip was the best steak he's ever had. We split the chocolate mousse for dessert (for me, it's not dessert without some chocolate) then took a leisurely walk, full and happy and already planning our next trip to Ray's. So thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and to Michael for running such a great place.

I'm (fiancee-willing) heading to Ray's this week (it'll be my fourth time). I'm thinking about trying something new. I've already had the scallops, bisque, and the house special. My desserts have always been chocolate in nature. I prefer that my steaks offer something in addition to the actual steak (as with the special - blue cheese and the sauce).

I think based on what I've heard I'd be a fool not to try the key lime (despite not being a super fan).

Aside from that, anyone have any recommendations for what my next step should be?

I'm (fiancee-willing) heading to Ray's this week (it'll be my fourth time). I'm thinking about trying something new. I've already had the scallops, bisque, and the house special. My desserts have always been chocolate in nature. I prefer that my steaks offer something in addition to the actual steak (as with the special - blue cheese and the sauce).

I think based on what I've heard I'd be a fool not to try the key lime (despite not being a super fan).

Aside from that, anyone have any recommendations for what my next step should be?

Chateaubriand or Steak Salad would get my vote. But then again, so would just about the entire menu. Cajun Ribeye? Au Poivre? I could go on for a while....enjoy

The key lime pie is great! On my "next time" list for Ray's: Onion soup. The tiny taste I got of my husband's last time almost made me swoon (as if being with my husband wasn't already enough for that :unsure: ).

If you prefer some addition to your steak you can get blue cheese, diablo sauce, mushrooms, what else am I forgetting as a side for just about any steak. I say go naked and get a strip and just enjoy it with the spinach and mashed potatoes.