Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

My husband and I are planning to make our first visit to RTS tonight. We like to eat early when we eat out, so we're aiming to get there around 5:30 so we can have one of the first tables. Are we deluding ourselves on our chances of being seated? Do we need to arrive earlier than 5:30?

My husband and I are planning to make our first visit to RTS tonight. We like to eat early when we eat out, so we're aiming to get there around 5:30 so we can have one of the first tables. Are we deluding ourselves on our chances of being seated? Do we need to arrive earlier than 5:30?
That should get you in. I usually get there around 5:15 but that's just to make sure I get a parking place.

Here's a surefire method to get a table: Take your reddest lipstick from your purse and write in large letters on your husband's forehead DR.COM. Hopping on one leg expedites the process. :)

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice about how to obtain a table at RTS. You are such givers!

Actually, though, I hoped to avoid second class service, so I opted not to follow your advice. We arrived in the parking lot at about 5:26, parked, and walked right into the restaurant. There were a few other people standing around, but we took and passed the simple test administered to all patrons tonight, and were the first ones seated. The test was kind of lame, I thought. They claimed that their credit card machine had been struck by lightning last night, so they would only be able to accept cash for dinner tonight. We played along, and they let us stay for dinner.

I loved my crab bisque, and I also loved my husband's onion soup very much. I might have to order that next time. We had glasses of a Spanish sparkling wine to start (I didn't see the name).

The Chateaubriand for two is a huge amount of food! It was all very delicious, and I found that Mr. Landrum was right: I usually prefer my steak about medium-rare, but because of my husband's preference we ordered it rare tonight, and I loved it! With the beast and all of its accompaniments, we enjoyed a bottle of Castell del Remei Gotim Bru 2002. It is a Temperanillo, Merlot, and Cabernet blend, and went very well with the food.

Unfortunately, our cover was blown, and we were found out as Rockweilers, which caused our treatment to devolve to second class, involving small-talk and desserts on the house.

We were pushing the envelope on our stay at our table, having been seated at 5:30, so we departed at about 6:45, well-fed and happy, lugging heavy containers of leftovers as we went.

Thank you, Michael, for a delightful dinner! I can see why so many people love your establishment, and why nearly all of the tables were filled by 6:05. I look forward to dining there again.

Heading up to Ray's tonite to impress a New York foodie, soon to be DC foodie, with some good steak. Is the Chateaubriand special still going on or is there another one for the month of June? I can wait to get a slice of key lime pie for dessert! :unsure:

Heading up to Ray's tonite to impress a New York foodie, soon to be DC foodie, with some good steak. Is the Chateaubriand special still going on or is there another one for the month of June? I can wait to get a slice of key lime pie for dessert! :unsure:

I believe that it is gone, but I am sure that Michael will respond at some point. Nevertheless, the regular price is not bad so get it and a bottle of wine and enjoy.

When I was there a week or so ago, I inquired about it and the waitress said it had expired. A moment or two later, she came back and said Michael wanted to honor it, so I had the Caesar's Salad and Escoffier had the crab bisque. Two desserts, a key lime pie and a mousse, also appeared at the end of the meal without being ordered, for the four of us to split. That Michael drives a tough bargain.

Incidentally, they don't take reservations any more but they do keep "a list." Go figure.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, Peanut"

"What's wrong with that poor man there"

"Where, honey?"

"Right there in the alley between Jaleo-Silver Spring and McLebanese Taverna. The guy lying in the fetal position and rocking back and forth."

"That's Michael Landrum, Peanut, now hurry along before he sees us looking"

"You know him? What happened to him"

"He was a very promising restaurateur with a great steak house when a series of unfortunate tragedies drove him right out of his mind."

"You mean Ray's? The one in Arlington that was struck by lightning and burned down"

"That was just a cover story that Don Don put out to appease the police. The real story is much much more horrendous and tragic."

"tell me daddy!"

"No, you're not old enough"

"PLEASE!"

"OK, but don't let your mother know, she'd kill me if she found out I was telling you horror stories. As you know, Ray's was a legendary steak house with its praises sung accross the Internet (TM -- Gore Industries). Michael was an excellent chef who just wanted to do right by his customers and make them happy. After years of struggle, he became a roaring success, but with success came problems, Ray's got so popular he could no longer keep everyone happy. He tried and tried, changing his reservation system and policies and even getting rid of reservations for a time, but there were always complainers. One night fueled by a fistful of amphetamines and a bottle of Montecillo Riserva he emerged as usual to the front of Ray's for a packed night. A table of 12 showed up for a reservation they claimed to had made via OpenTable and promptly sat down and refused to get up. Screaming that he wasn't even on OpenTable he grabbed who he thought was the ringleader and stuffed one of those hockey puck looking buzzers with red lights down his throat and activated the buzzer. The poor guy died a slow and painful death. Michael ran into the kitchen emerging garbed only in an apron with a loin primal cut over one shoulder. He proceeded to massacre the rest of the group by stabbing them with ribs he ripped from the primal and was last seen tearing off towards the Key Bridge on a blue Vespa screaming 'How many in your party?' and laughing maniacally. Luckily Don Don was able to set the fire and clean the scene before anyone was the wiser."

"But Daddy, what's he doing here and what's he mumbling about?"

"Well, honey, you were'nt old enough to remember but he had also had plans to open a place across from the AFI."

"You mean where Jaleo is?"

"Yes. It was going to be a great place, but problems in getting it open added to the stress of the reservations problem at Ray's and was probably the clincher in sending him over the edge. He never recovered and now lives here in the alley trying to come up with the perfect reservation policy. I occasionally slip down here and leave some crab bisque and key lime pie for him. He saw me looking at him once and started to chase me with a sharpened clipboard shouting something about 90 minute limits."

"Dad, he smells awful. Let's go to McLebanese Taverna and get some Big MacSchwarma."

"Whatever you want, Peanut"

Could someone enlighten those of us in the dark about this "list", and whether it is a good or bad thing to be "on"? ;)

It's for people who either ask about or complain about the reservation policy and or the "90 minute limit".

You can assume it is very very bad to be on it. :unsure:

Michael ran into the kitchen emerging garbed only in an apron with a loin primal cut over one shoulder. He proceeded to massacre the rest of the group by stabbing them with ribs he ripped from the primal and was last seen tearing off towards the Key Bridge on a blue Vespa screaming 'How many in your party?' and laughing maniacally...

Since when did Ray's start serving ribs? :unsure:

"Daddy?"

"Yes, Peanut"

"What's wrong with that poor man there"

"Where, honey?"

Great story, JPW, thanks for the laughs!

It's for people who either ask about or complain about the reservation policy and or the "90 minute limit".

You can assume it is very very bad to be on it. :unsure:

So now I have to check "The List: Are You On It?" weekly to make sure I'm not. ;)

Lists? We don't need no stinkin' lists! On a whim stopped off at Rays on the way home from work tonight. Arrived about 6:00 and several tables were available, so got seated right away. Reminded Michael we were Rockwellians, but that was after we were already on the way to a table so it would not have made any difference (one way or another!). Wonderful meal (caesar salad; crab bisque; hanger steak; cajun ribeye; nice bottle of wine; too full for dessert). In addition to great food, had a terrific tutorial from Michael in down-to-earth breadmaking, and am looking forward to trying some of his ideas at home. Started to get crowded as we were leaving shortly after 7:00. Thanks, Michael, for a good evening.

First of all, JPW ... great post!

Second ... Pete you need to read the fine print ... ribs require a reservation on Open Table for parties of 12 or more "Do you know who I am" type people who will require no less than 2 hrs of service. :unsure:

went to ray's this week after returning home from a trip to denver and literally not eating anything all day. Two things struck me, #1, people need to chill about the policies and let the restuarant do it's thing without throwing out terms like lists. If there's anything, it's transparent to the customer and definitely didn't effect us so mentioning it here is just going ot create a stir over something that isn't necessary. #2, everyone and I do mean everyone who worked at ray's last thursday night seemed actually and legitimately happy to be there. It's a really odd feeling to be in a place where everyone from the hostess to the busboys to the waitress to the runners are all happy to be there and enjoying their job. It made the food and the experience that much better. this is I think at the root of what makes ray's so incredibly awesome. The food being as good as it is is a side effect of the really positive atmosphere that Michael's been able to create. That and the new tiger butter is incredible.

He did something new to the tiger butter? How is it different from the old tiger butter? Does he put the chocolate in first and then swirl in the peanut butter; or does he do it the other way around now?

Same old, same old...had it Saturday night.

We are planning on going to Ray's next Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary - and it'll be our first time there! We are new to the DC area and have heard nothing but good things... so we can't wait to go ourselves. What do the Rockwellians recommend I get for my first-ever Ray's experience? (And this is the first I have heard of the tiger butter... that's definitely on my list now too!) Thanks!

We are planning on going to Ray's next Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary - and it'll be our first time there! We are new to the DC area and have heard nothing but good things... so we can't wait to go ourselves. What do the Rockwellians recommend I get for my first-ever Ray's experience? (And this is the first I have heard of the tiger butter... that's definitely on my list now too!) Thanks!

Cowbow MR and finish with a slice of key lime pie.

I have loved the chateaubriand both times I've had it... with the brandy mushroom sauce... can't go wrong with the shrimp diablo and/or the crab bisque... and I second the key lime pie recommendation. Enjoy!!

You really can't go wrong no matter what you get. Crab bisque and blackened scallops are excellent starters. Whatever cut of steak strikes your fancy.... wines all well priced also. Be sure to eat light all day Saturday to be able to cram all the goodness in....

Chateaubriand. Definitely chateaubriand. My wife and I went on Saturday night (got a table right away just before 6:00, saw a lot of people waiting on our way out). And key lime pie.

Chateaubriand . . . only if you trust your dining partner to quit eating at half.

Otherwise, each of you should order your own steaks.

The onion soup was very delicious when my husband let me have a taste a few weeks ago.

Whatever you get will be excellent.

And, whatever you do, don't let it slip that you're Rockweilers. . . that leads to "second class treatment."

I'm going to dissent - I haven't ahd the Chateaubriand, but I think the House Special steak - Strip convered with brandy cream mushroom sauce and blue cheese - is the full on Ray's experience as far as I am concerned.

I dissent as well and partially join in the judgment of Justice bilrus. Start with a half-order of the scallops diablo. Slide into the 20 oz. NY Strip (medium rare) with crumbled bleu cheese only. Ask for garlic with your mashed potatoes. Finish off with the key lime pie. Ask Michael to recommend a nice bottle of wine to go with it.

The next morning, brown the leftover mashed potatoes in some butter in a hot skillet. Gently warm the leftover steak in the microwave, and serve with a couple of eggs, over easy. With hot buttered toast and some strong coffee.

Oh, and welcome to DR.com jblum.

Michael, do you anesthetize the tiger before milking it? If not, I may prefer to watch the process from your front window.

I can not reveal my secrets. However, there is a highly incisive report on Ray's on DCVist (which I am too unskilled to link) that may shed some light on my methods. At least now I know why I always feel like I need to take a shower.

Seriously, I never participated in any on-line forums until I was contacted for the eG interview. Are all bloggers so lame? I know that some bloggers also participate here and their work off-forum is informed, intelligent and informative. Are they the exception?

Back to the topic at hand...jblum, please do introduce yourself when you visit (despite what ScotteeM advises) and we'll make sure that whatever you choose will be the right thing.

I agree with everybody. Now that I've been there 8 or 9 times, and had everything, including the blackened strip, I think I'll have the cowboy cut again next time. That should give me the best chance for a take-home portion.

As for the tempest in a teapot regarding "the list," the only thing as delicious as Ray's steaks is teasing Michael.

The next morning, brown the leftover mashed potatoes in some butter in a hot skillet. Gently warm the leftover steak in the microwave, and serve with a couple of eggs, over easy. With hot buttered toast and some strong coffee.
The microwave is my mortal enemy. Every day it finds some way to ruin leftovers. Did you know that when bearnaise sauce breaks, it mixes readily with melted styrofoam? YUM!

The best thing I've ever done with one of Michael's creations (and this was a night I had PLENTY of leftover strip, having gorged myself on bisqallops*) was to take the leftover steak and slice it thinly (about a quarter inch - shouldn't be too difficult if the steak is cold).

Then I sauted some kind of finely chopped wild mushroom medley (seriously, go nuts) with some thyme. I set the mushrooms aside and deglazed with some red wine, balsamic vinegar, and other crap to make a thick sweet & tangy red wine reduction with plenty of butter.

I whipped up a batch of my top secret three-flavor pizza dough, rolled out a pie, spread a mixture of roasted garlic and olive oil on top, and topped it with the mushrooms, some gorgonzola, and no-frills mozarella.

I stuck the whole thing on my pizza stone (is there any other way to do pizza?) with my oven at maximum, and then a few minutes before it was done I sprinkled on my slices of Ray's heaven, just so they'd be in long enough to get hot.

Once it's out, swirl the red wine reduction around the pie, and enjoy.

No ingredients were harmed by microwave radiation in the making of this pizza.

Oh, and the House Special is my favorite as well.

*That's what I call it when I order bisque, my fiancee orders scallops, and I eat most of both.

Perhaps a new category for those with 1500 posts?

It's odd, though. The only people who know to describe me that way were the fellow members from my short-lived and gruesomely tragic stint as "The Grill Cook" in The Village People, and they are all sworn to secrecy and otherwise disinclined to reveal this deeply-implanted recondite knowledge.

Perhaps there has been a break in the protective seal.

Or his fantasies have simply yet feverishly led him to the inevitable conclusion.

The microwave is my mortal enemy. Every day it finds some way to ruin leftovers. Did you know that when bearnaise sauce breaks, it mixes readily with melted styrofoam? YUM!

The best thing I've ever done with one of Michael's creations (and this was a night I had PLENTY of leftover strip, having gorged myself on bisqallops*) was to take the leftover steak and slice it thinly (about a quarter inch - shouldn't be too difficult if the steak is cold).

Then I sauted some kind of finely chopped wild mushroom medley (seriously, go nuts) with some thyme. I set the mushrooms aside and deglazed with some red wine, balsamic vinegar, and other crap to make a thick sweet & tangy red wine reduction with plenty of butter.

I whipped up a batch of my top secret three-flavor pizza dough, rolled out a pie, spread a mixture of roasted garlic and olive oil on top, and topped it with the mushrooms, some gorgonzola, and no-frills mozarella.

I stuck the whole thing on my pizza stone (is there any other way to do pizza?) with my oven at maximum, and then a few minutes before it was done I sprinkled on my slices of Ray's heaven, just so they'd be in long enough to get hot.

Once it's out, swirl the red wine reduction around the pie, and enjoy.

No ingredients were harmed by microwave radiation in the making of this pizza.

Oh, and the House Special is my favorite as well.

*That's what I call it when I order bisque, my fiancee orders scallops, and I eat most of both.

This is almost exactly what we do here for staff meal sometimes, and one of the few ways I know of to improve on a steak. One hint, though, fold it over into a calzone with the meat inside, with fresh tomatoes, egg-wash the top and seal it well to contain the ooze.

When I said to "gently warm" in the "microwave," I meant just that. Slice the steak like you said, and nuke it 3-4 times for about 15 seconds each, with a few minutes between exposures. I didn't mean to nuke it on high for 5 mninutes. What I mean is to just take away the chill from the refrigator. The microwave can be your friend if you learn to temper your enthusiam with a little moderation.

This is almost exactly what we do here for staff meal sometimes, and one of the few ways I know of to improve on a steak. One hint, though, fold it over into a calzone with the meat inside, with fresh tomatoes, egg-wash the top and seal it well to contain the ooze.
That DOES sound good. Calzones scare me, though. I like being able to see my food cooking. I'll bet the diablo would work well with that.

And Jacques, I meant no offense. When you're the only one in the office willing to step up and clean the microwave, and the only one who actually cleans up after himself following tupperware apocalyptae, you start to develop a certain hate-hate relationship with those vile ovens.

Saturday, I had a very quick breakfast of nasty supermarket strawberries without a hint of strawberriness and yogurt at about 6 and then hopped on the plane. And sat on the tarmac. Arrived late, ran to get my connecting flight which had been moved to another gate without them changing the monitor. Arrived in DC, missed lunch and fake smiled my way through a baby shower, checking my watch every 3 minutes as part of the countdown to Ray's.

Crab bisque, a taste of shrimp, hanger steak diablo, and a glass of whatever Michael said to drink later I'm at a total loss to explain why on earth I moved beyond reasonable commute to Ray's. If someone knows please PM me.

Saturday, I had a very quick breakfast of nasty supermarket strawberries without a hint of strawberriness and yogurt at about 6 and then hopped on the plane. And sat on the tarmac. Arrived late, ran to get my connecting flight which had been moved to another gate without them changing the monitor. Arrived in DC, missed lunch and fake smiled my way through a baby shower, checking my watch every 3 minutes as part of the countdown to Ray's.

Crab bisque, a taste of shrimp, hanger steak diablo, and a glass of whatever Michael said to drink later I'm at a total loss to explain why on earth I moved beyond reasonable commute to Ray's. If someone knows please PM me.

Well, it sounds like your day was saved by Ray's. Good on you! And good for Ray's!

And, as for why you moved beyond a reasonable commute to Ray's, I think you answered that. Yummy, right? Then day saved.

If I didn't live all the way out in Burke-e-licious (not), I'd find solace in Ray's myself more often.

Dad (who moved with Mom to Beijing last year) will be in the DC area for 18 hours this weekend before several days of meetings in NY. Because good steaks are basically nonexistent in China, I'm thinking this is where we must eat. Given the likely Father's Day crowd on Saturday night, would we be okay arriving around 5:45 or will there be a long line at 5:30?

Dad (who moved with Mom to Beijing last year) will be in the DC area for 18 hours this weekend before several days of meetings in NY. Because good steaks are basically nonexistent in China, I'm thinking this is where we must eat. Given the likely Father's Day crowd on Saturday night, would we be okay arriving around 5:45 or will there be a long line at 5:30?

You and I will have to battle it out. :unsure: We are planning to take our Peter Lugar-aficionado friend to Rays on Sat night after the Nationals game. He is a New Yorker and devoted carnivore, and we have talked up Rays as the place we must take him when he comes to town. We also plan to get there early since we are going to drive from the game and then kill some time, but I was hoping not to eat as early as 5:30....