Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

In addition to the food buzz after a meal at Ray's, the feeling I get from bringing "virgins" there and getting to vicariously have the first time experience is almost as good. On Friday night I brought 2 friends from New York into RTS and they couldnt stop talking about it afterwards. The consistantly impecible and generous food, service, and treatment never fails to impress/amaze.

In addition to the food buzz after a meal at Ray's, the feeling I get from bringing "virgins" there and getting to vicariously have the first time experience is almost as good. On Friday night I brought 2 friends from New York into RTS and they couldnt stop talking about it afterwards. The consistantly impecible and generous food, service, and treatment never fails to impress/amaze.
I had a chance to eat Kobe beef steak at V Steak House (steak house of the famous Jean-Goerge) almost a year ago. Ray's steak is much better than V Steak House in quality, service and price.

As with all the servers I've had at Ray's over the years, Simone (sp?) was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and professional.

Your spelling is correct. Simone, a Brazilian senhorita, kindly and generously puts up with my Portuguese, for which I am deeply grateful. Another count in favor of RTS.

Me and my posse finally managed to get to Ray's last Friday evening for a start to our Boyz Night Out adventure. Getting this group together is like herding cats, given various family/work/other things commitments, and, as it was, our party of ten had dwindled to seven when we rendez-voused in front of Ray's at 5:45. Given the no reservations policy and other new aspects of getting seated, I wanted to get on the early shift and we managed that, with a promise of being out by 7:30 -- even managed to all sit togehter despite the limit of six-to-a-part rule. Everything was normal (that is excellent) even though it is being run by remote control from Silver Spring -- a couple of guys were newbies and it's always fun to watch them take their first bite of steak and see their eyes roll back into their foreheads with bliss. The service was first-rate -- patient -- good advice on the four bottles of wine we drained (selectors were finnicky Californians), and we were even invited to have dessert despite the fact that it would have meant overstaying our 7:30 departure time. Couldn't manage dessert, I still had half my NY Strip in a box, which I left in one of the guy's who had driven there car, because I didn't want to carry it around to all the bars that were next on our itinerary. Unfortunately, I was too, er tired, by the end of the night to walk back and retrieve it, so I just told him to go ahead and eat it himself (he said after downing the Cowboy, that he was still hungry).

I just asked him how it was and he said, "Oh my god, it's still in my trunk." :)

An embarassing confession: tonight is my first trip to Ray's (I've lived in DC about a year). Scanning various foodie sites for suggestions, and wondering in particular about the chateaubriand for 2 special--any chance it's still in effect? Can anyone help an RTS virgin?

An embarassing confession: tonight is my first trip to Ray's (I've lived in DC about a year). Scanning various foodie sites for suggestions, and wondering in particular about the chateaubriand for 2 special--any chance it's still in effect? Can anyone help an RTS virgin?

Welcome!

I do not believe that it is still available. It is on the menu and the cost difference is not much, price of a salad I believe, so go and enjoy.

Speaking of specials....I did take advantage of the Chateaubriand special way back when it was offered. However my question is does anyone know of any current specials going on at RTS? My girlfriend and I are thinking of dining there friday night before seeing The Departed! (heard it was great!)

-Omesh

Speaking of specials....I did take advantage of the Chateaubriand special way back when it was offered. However my question is does anyone know of any current specials going on at RTS? My girlfriend and I are thinking of dining there friday night before seeing The Departed! (heard it was great!)

-Omesh

When I was there two or three weeks ago, they were offering 10% off on wine. I forget if it was bottles or glasses (probably bottles), and what the minimum price was.

Quick announcement of a charity dinner (open to the public) that we do once a year or so for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society coming up this Sunday (tomorrow).

It's $30 for a three course dinner with $15 going to the charity. Seating is first come first serve, so come on by for the usual Ray's goodies made even better by the event.

Quick announcement of a charity dinner (open to the public) that we do once a year or so for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society coming up this Sunday (tomorrow).

Holy crap, Michael, you couldn't have picked a day that we weren't already stuffing our faces at the picnic? :)

Went to RTS for the first time in forever tonight. Although it was raining, the place was still packed, and the poor hostess was looking a bit frazzled as she took names, ran credit cards, and rushed dishes from the kitchen. I hope that they were accidently short staffed tonight, and that Michael's not running that poor girl ragged on a regular basis.

The bisque and strip were divine, as usual (really what else can I say about the food? Its just so good that it defies words), and the service was brisk and efficient but still friendly. My +1 wished there were a Zinfindel available by the glass, although I was (always) happy with the glass of Avalon Cabernet.

On the way out, Michael mocked me for not dressing up for an anniversary dinner. I told him that my v-neck sweater and tee-shirt was pretty dressed up for me. I was too flummoxed to give the appropriate response, which would involve the phrase "glass houses."

My all time favorite online review of Ray's the Steaks included the line "some guy in a bloody apron". :)

I'm taking my boyfriend there for his birthday. We've done (and loved) RTC, but I've never been to RTS, and my boyfriend hasn't been in over a year. Given the "No Reservations" policy, what day/time is the best to avoid long waits? Can we feasibly show up on Saturday and not wait two hours (well, would we probably get drinks, but 2 hours is a bit long, and kinda ruins the birthday mood)? Or should I take him early during the week?

I'm taking my boyfriend there for his birthday. We've done (and loved) RTC, but I've never been to RTS, and my boyfriend hasn't been in over a year. Given the "No Reservations" policy, what day/time is the best to avoid long waits? Can we feasibly show up on Saturday and not wait two hours (well, would we probably get drinks, but 2 hours is a bit long, and kinda ruins the birthday mood)? Or should I take him early during the week?
Welcome to the boards, Arlene!

As long as you show up early, you shouldn't have much trouble. If I'm going on a Saturday, I like to arrive around 5:30. I'd be surprised if you didn't get seated around 6:15.

Most weekdays, I almost never have a problem getting seated immediately when I show up when the doors open.

Remember you can go by RTS after 4:30 and put your name on the list for a hard time. Not a "hard time" but a secure time really... as long as all of your party is there at the time you request, they'll seat you pretty darn close to the requested time if not the requested time...

It was definitely open tonight. I have the full belly to prove it!

I wish Ray's could be my neighborhood restaurant. I'm jealous of those of you who can call it your own, because damn, was tonight's meal great. Fantastically delicious. I took my friend Jenny (yes, Jen and Jenny; not so cute) who was a Ray's n00b. She's about to move to Utah due to a career progression, but somehow she never made it to Ray's. After tonight's meal, she called the restaurant "one more thing to miss, darn it."

We opted to order two different steaks, both medium, and share. It was my brilliant idea (insert Blair-from-Facts-of-Life annoying tone) and it worked out really well. Added some Bearnaise for the strip after my friend declined to order blue cheese crumbles*.

We'd had sangria, chips and salsa next door at Guajillo while waiting for a table (sorry, Joe H), so we didn't order any starters. In a flash, our food arrived. My friend was authentically and enthusiastically complimentary about the steaks and the sides. No fake "wow, that was good" comments; she meant it.

We ate as much as we could, and packed up the rest for our respective lunches. But there was room for dessert and Jenny picked key lime pie. We shared. I completely forgot how good the key lime pie is. The crust, the sweet/tart filling, perfection.

With a glass of pinot noir for me, syrah (or was it shiraz?) for my friend, the total bill pre-tip was very reasonable $66.

Edited to add:

Our neighbors both had the steak salad. Oh my! That's gigantic salad.

I still love the hot chocolate.

I can't get over how much I like the spinach. I don't eat my vegetables as often as I should.

*How is it that blue cheese is reviled by 90% of the population anyway??? It's the best, every last variety of the stuff. My favorite.

I was at an all-day meeting at my company's HQ in Courthouse yesterday. At lunchtime, a couple of the out-of-area folks said "hey, Daniel, you know your restaurants. Where should we go tonight?"

"I think I know a good place a few blocks away..."

:)

Bottom line: took two newbies to RTS, both of them frequent travelers who spend more than their share of $$$ at steakhouses. Both proclaimed their meal from top to bottom (crab bisque, NY Strip med-rare with various toppings, Key Lime pie) the best they'd ever had at a steakhouse anywhere. And, of course, at about half the price.

I'm glad that it's about a 25 minute drive to RTS and 15 to RTC. Or I'd have a lot less money in my wallet.

Does anyone know if RTS does gift certificates? And if so, any tips on when and how to obtain one? We haven't been able to connect with someone on sight via telephone and are hoping to have one in hand by week's end. Thanks!

Bring a greeting card or a personalized certificate that you make up, and money, to Ray's during business hours and we will sign, number, fungicize and register that card or certificate which your gift-ee will bring in to use when he comes in for dinner.

We were there on Sunday, managed to get in at 6 before the crowds built up. It's always fun to bring a newbie--with us with an out-of-town guest who we've been regaling with Tales of the Steak, but until last night, had never managed to eat at RTS. He loved it and now wants to come down once a month just for dinner.

I won't gush about the food--much has been posted here and elsewhere. What I will say is that there's PUMPKIN PIE on the menu! I was psyched--it's my favorite pie, so I had to have a slice all to my self (the hubs and our guest shared key lime).

It's delish--the texture is more like sweet potato pie than a regular custard-y pumpkin pie. The spices are just right, not overpowering, and I love the crust. It's the same crust as the key lime--sandy (in a good way!) and moist, it stands up to the pumpkin well.

Not sure how long it will be on the menu, but order it next time you're there.

What I will say is that there's PUMPKIN PIE on the menu! I was psyched--it's my favorite pie, so I had to have a slice all to my self (the hubs and our guest shared key lime).

It's delish--the texture is more like sweet potato pie than a regular custard-y pumpkin pie. The spices are just right, not overpowering, and I love the crust. It's the same crust as the key lime--sandy (in a good way!) and moist, it stands up to the pumpkin well.

Not sure how long it will be on the menu, but order it next time you're there.

no pumpkin pie on the menu on wednesday :P

Michael, will RTS be open on Saturday 12/23, or are you closing at all for holidays/vacation?

Both Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics will be open on Saturday 12/23 and will be closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of that week, reopening on Wednesday. Both restaurants will be open on Sunday, New Year's Eve--regular menu, regular prices--and will probably be doing something at both restaurants (I am not sure yet exactly what yet) to benefit our neighbors in Silver Spring from The Charter House, elederly tenants who were displaced from their building when it was condemned overnight and who are being housed ad hoc in various hotels without their regular services. Leave a message on the answering machine at Ray's The Steaks (for New Year's Eve only), (703) 841-RAYS, despite what the message says, with the desired time, number in the party and a number we can reach you in person and we will call back to book the party as best we can. The number for reservations in Silver Spring is (301) 588-RAYS

As our Christmas presents to ourselves, milady and I are going to RTS tonight and RTC tomorrow night. It was only when I explained this to my coworkers at the office Christmas party that I realized that this might be considered a perverse attachment to Mr. Landrum.

I feel that I should point out that he is on neither of our "laminated lists" and this is really all about the steaks and cashews, but who would believe me?

Went back last night to try the new "butcher's cuts". Lisa had the picahna (modestly priced arond $18) and I had the callette (around $27). Both were insanely good. The picahna is a Brazilian cut that, according to Wikipedia, is another term for "rump cover" and is part of the top sirloin in North American cuts. It's got an intense taste and slightly chewy and dense texture.

My callette had my eyes rolling from the first bite. It was tender beyond belief. Unlike most tender cuts (like filet), the beef flavour was incredible and there was a substantial amount of juice. The interesting thing to me was that the meat fibres didn't look at all like what you would expect from such tender cut. While I'm no expert on these things and will defer on this, it seemed liked the meat fibres had a structure similar to what you see in skirt steak. I'm guessing this has something to do with the unique way that it's cut. The callette was well and simply seasoned with ample amounts of salt. I gave bites to others seated around us at the bar and all agreed it was phenomenal.

I believe that this was also a special at RtS when I was in the other night. What a delicious cut of meat and was even better with the mushroom brandy cream sauce.

Both Ray's The Steaks and Ray's The Classics will be open on Saturday 12/23 and will be closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of that week, reopening on Wednesday. Both restaurants will be open on Sunday, New Year's Eve--regular menu, regular prices--and will probably be doing something at both restaurants (I am not sure yet exactly what yet) to benefit our neighbors in Silver Spring from The Charter House, elederly tenants who were displaced from their building when it was condemned overnight and who are being housed ad hoc in various hotels without their regular services. Leave a message on the answering machine at Ray's The Steaks (for New Year's Eve only), (703) 841-RAYS, despite what the message says, with the desired time, number in the party and a number we can reach you in person and we will call back to book the party as best we can. The number for reservations in Silver Spring is (301) 588-RAYS

We're going to aim for RTS on Dec. 27 -- the first time ever for my parents! And the first time in waaaaay too long for us.

I wanted to point out that Michael is doing a wonderful thing by supporting the Shoebox Oven (which delivers for -- and ON -- Christmas, FYI!) -- not only has he let them bake in his kitchen, but now RTS is the pick-up location for any local SO orders placed online.

Michael, you ROCK!

Can't see an "edit" button anywhere for my previous post, so will have to add a new one...

Dinner last night at RTS was lovely. Tripewriter got back from work a bit later than expected, so I was v. concerned about having to have my parents standing outside in the cold while we waited for a table. Luckily, somebody didn't show up in time for their table, so we only had to wait about 10-15 minutes, not the 35 predicted -- it was just enough time for us to make it to the ABC store and back for holiday party cocktail supplies. The cashews were hoovered up within seconds by Tripewriter, my dad, and me...I think my mom got exactly one! We ordered the scallops (the large dish) as a starter. In my opinion, they were the best that we've ever had at RTS. In addition, I learned that an absolutely delightful flavor and texture combo can be achieved if you dip your foccacia into the "sauce" on the scallop plate. My mouth is watering even now, thinking of it! For the mains, my mom had the steak salad and was amazed at the amount of steak -- more like Steak with a salad, really. Tripewriter had the cowboy cut, I had the black-n-blue, and my dad had the hanger steak. We also devoured the garlic mashed potatoes and a bottle of Ramsay pinot noir. Out of the four of us, only my dad was able to finish his steak -- Tripewriter is eagerly anticipating steak sandwiches for lunch for a few days :P For dessert, I failed to persuade the table that we should just get one of everything but did manage to convince Tripewriter that he should share his divine pumpkin pie with me. I even gave up a couple nibbles of key lime pie in return. Mom and Dad split a dark chocolate mousse. The complimentary hot chocolates at the end of the meal were lovely -- my mom drank about half of hers and poured the other half into her coffee, making mocha.

As I mentioned above, it had been far, far too long since we'd been to Ray's, and now that we aren't scared of having to wait in the cold any more, we'll definitely be back sooner, rather than later.

Out of the four of us, only my dad was able to finish his steak -- Tripewriter is eagerly anticipating steak sandwiches for lunch for a few days :P

Hard to believe I've eaten entire cowboy cut ribeyes in one sitting a couple of times before. I think the eggnog and christmas cookies have put me off my game!

I am glad that I left enough room for punkin' pie ... the crust has a hint of molasses that makes it extra special.

First time poster, long-time lurker here. I just wanted to share my great experience at Ray's last night, NYE. I am usually wary of dining out on a holiday, but a friend of mine really wanted to have steak. All of the usual raves for the food held true for last night. We had a cowboy cut, house special, ribeye, and filet -- along with the blackened scallops for an appetizer. We washed it all down with bottles of Cava and Rioja. Thanks, Ray's, for impressing us with your fantastic food and service, even on an "amateur" night!

Just wanted to write in and say thank you for an amazing New Year's Eve meal! It was so nice to be able to go to our favorite restaurant and order what we wanted (rather than fixed-price 5-billion course menus like many other places). We both got hangar steaks because neither of us was willing to relinquish it to try something new. Crab bisque was awesome. Thank you! So glad to have you as a neighbor.

Brought some friends from Texas to RTS on Saturday, they loved it. Service and food was your typical amazing. The hostess was very nice but she wouldn't take down my cell phone to call me when our table was ready. Michael use to be ok with doing this, oh well. They were also out of the steak Diablo.

Went to RTS for the first time a few days ago and despite my extremely high expectations, I was not disappointed. The cashews and hot cocoa were nice touches and very enjoyable. The crab soup was terrific and loaded with crab meat - no big chunks, but loaded nonetheless. I had never eaten hanger steak before, but ordered it based on the high praise on this board. I found the steak to be really tasty and cooked exactly to my liking. I did not realize the hanger came as two slender "strips" of steak.

My only real disappointments were the sides. The creamed spinach was not my favorite (although this might have more to do with my aversion to green things) and the mashed potatoes were a tad runny, but still tasty. We did have to wait a bit for a seat during a weeknight, but nothing too terrible.

I know most of what I said has been said a million times, but just thought I'd give an update and share my $0.02.

last night i went to rays the steaks for the second time (and brought a first timer as well!) and everything was delicious and perfectly cooked. the first time i went i ordered the ny strip, but based on the comments on this thread, i decided to go with a cup of the bisque and the hanger steak last night (medium rare). all i can say is WOW.

i have only one complaint: i ate my entire hanger steak so i didn't have any leftovers for today. :P

I'm taking three newbies to Ray's The Steaks tonight. I know it's perhaps a controversial/clichéd question, but I'll give it a go:

If you're going to show off the very best Ray's has to offer these days, what do you order? What's the steak that knocks your socks off more than any other and demonstrates that RTS is head and shoulders above the competition: The Diablo? The Black and Blue? A New York Strip with the brandy mushroom? Personally, I can never resist the siren-call of a Cowboy cut, medium rare-extra char...

Clearly these are all great options, but what's the steak that really epitomizes what Ray's is all about? I'd love to hear various opinions, and if M.L. happens to be out there listening, I'd love to hear his opinion on the matter...

Cheers,

Owen

Can someone clarify the current seating policy here? Apparently you won't be seated unless you crowd yourself into the tiny "waiting area" up front, because the hostess will not come outside to call your name because it's too cold. I thought we were being polite by waiting outside the door & not overcrowding the inside, but the people who stuffed themselves in got seated considerably faster. Also, even though the hostess took my cellphone #, she never called to say the table was ready (I don't know if this is also a new policy).

Can someone clarify the current seating policy here? Apparently you won't be seated unless you crowd yourself into the tiny "waiting area" up front, because the hostess will not come outside to call your name because it's too cold. I thought we were being polite by waiting outside the door & not overcrowding the inside, but the people who stuffed themselves in got seated considerably faster. Also, even though the hostess took my cellphone #, she never called to say the table was ready (I don't know if this is also a new policy).
My guess, based on the dinner I had there on Tuesday, is that the staff is very busy. If you are there when your name comes up on the list, you get seated, if you are not, they won't go looking for you. I offered to give them my cell phone number when told it would be a one hour wait (in case something came up) and she indicated that they already were 15 mintues behind on the 6:30 reservations. She said we'd probably be seated around 7:45 but to come back at 7:30, which we did. The place was hopping. But, it appeared that a few large tables of 8 or more were slowing down the turnover somewhat.

i have gone several times in the past few months and never had to put my name on any list or make a reservation. where is this list anyways? usually i walk right in and they show my party to a table immediately. perhaps this has something to do with the fact that i usually go around 6pm?

My guess, based on the dinner I had there on Tuesday, is that the staff is very busy. If you are there when your name comes up on the list, you get seated, if you are not, they won't go looking for you. I offered to give them my cell phone number when told it would be a one hour wait (in case something came up) and she indicated that they already were 15 mintues behind on the 6:30 reservations. She said we'd probably be seated around 7:45 but to come back at 7:30, which we did. The place was hopping. But, it appeared that a few large tables of 8 or more were slowing down the turnover somewhat.

If it is very busy it is good advice is to ask, if not already told, about what time you should come back and to re-check in after you put your name on the list. Unfortunately, for us diners, the place is usually pretty busy and they don't have much waiting space inside so in the cold weather we may have to wait outside for a spell. Of course there are plenty of places nearby that you can go for a drink and chat.

i have gone several times in the past few months and never had to put my name on any list or make a reservation. where is this list anyways? usually i walk right in and they show my party to a table immediately. perhaps this has something to do with the fact that i usually go around 6pm?

Yup. The list is nothing special, just your typical wait list that the hostess keeps. It is filled with those folks that want to eat later in the evening.

Unfortunately "there" seems to mean stuffed physically inside the restaurant, since we were waiting right outside during our assigned time. They used to call people's names outside &/or their cellphone, but I guess that's no longer the M.O. The reason we didn't stuff ourselves inside the restaurant was because it was already packed & I felt sorry for the seated patrons who had people backed up into them while they were trying to eat. Also it made it difficult for people just walking in to put their names down. But I guess it doesn't always pay to be polite, anyway I just wanted clarifcation on the new policies.

...because the hostess will not come outside to call your name because it's too cold. I thought we were being polite by waiting outside the door & not overcrowding the inside, but the people who stuffed themselves in got seated considerably faster. Also, even though the hostess took my cellphone #, she never called to say the table was ready (I don't know if this is also a new policy).

The "hostess" in question is actually the manager whose duties include expediting when necessary, presenting checks and running credit cards, clearing, resetting and reconfiguring tables, dealing with the occasional service issue or vituperatively insane guest, as well as running, planning the seating and seating the floor to accommodate the intense and challenging demands of a large crowd looking to be seated in a small restaurant.

If she were not female, I daresay that her role and her duties would be more clearly recognized and appreciated, and that she would be more properly be discussed as the manager (in which case this might be a different discussion), and not be dismissed as the "hostess". (This last comment also, and actually more specifically, refers to PM's I have received). It also, I daresay, would not be assumed that she is afraid of the cold.

If she were not performing all of these duties--which she so visibly and obviously does (if any one should ever see her standing still and not busting her ass to take care of people, please call me to collect your $100 reward)--no one could be seated at all in any type of timely fashion which, again, I think would be more obvious if she were not dismissed as the "hostess". (Again, this comment more specifically refers to PM's that I have received, and my apologies for the tone).

I believe that the "policy" (again that word) is that we ask people to check back in at the time we have given as a likely come-back time so that we know you are actually here and still waiting to be seated (some people do not come back and it is impossible to hold a place for people who are not present at the specified time since so many people are also waiting at that time and for later times as well). There are so many names and faces to keep track of that it is impossible to seek each and every one out. However, when all of the names that have checked in at a given time have been seated, we will seek out any remaining names before we seat tables for the next time period--either by going out into the cold or by calling you on your cell phone, which is why we ask for your number (that, and in case you leave behind your credit card, hat, scarf or gloves).

We never seek to punish politeness at Ray's, and while our work load may force us to be less than expansive with our time and attentions at the door, we never seek to be rude and always hope to be effectively proficient--for you and for all the others we have to accommodate (we are a public space and have never promoted exclusvity or catered to the demands of the exclusive crowd) and my apologies if others pushed or elbowed or finangled their way ahead of you, or if you were neglected for not being pushy.

I also hope that you were seated within a reasonable time from when you were asked to check back in and that you enjoyed your meal.

And how was your week?