Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

This is probably the first time since I joined that this thread isn't on the first page. I suppose it's a good time, then, for another sparkling review . . .

The wife and I decided to hit up Ray's for dinner on friday. We'd been three times before, but not for a couple of years. Even without Michael in the kitchen, Ray's is, of course, just as good as ever. My wife arrived at 5:00 and got our name on the list, so we sat at Guajillo and had a drink before the restaurant opened.

Since everyone raves about the scallops and we had never had them before, we started with an appetizer portion. Perfectly cooked and delicious. At $8.95, IIRC, you get four perfectly cooked plump beauties for less than you would pay at Whole Foods for the same, uncooked.

Speaking of bargains, we went for a bottle of Wente Reliz Creek Pinot Noir. I have a soft spot for Wente, as my parents like tasting in Livermore Valley, for some reason, and we usually end up eating at their delicious, if not overpriced, restaurant. In any case, the wine is good and Michael's price is quite a bargain, even before the 10% off.

For dinner, the wife had the calotte (culotte?) special and I had the cowboy rib-eye. Both were perfectly cooked with a beautiful char and came in ENORMOUS portions. As I remembered, the spinach and mashed potatoes were excellent. Especially the spinach, which was not the goopy liquid-fest you get at some restaurants.

For some reason, our server offerred us dessert on the house, so we opted for the dark chocolate mousse. I'm not a chocolate fan, but it was still pretty tasty. Unfortunately, we were too stuffed to eat very much of it.

One little thing that I hadn't noticed before is that when they package up your leftovers, and there's no way I could get out of there without leftovers, they give you a new serving of spinach and potatoes. What a nice treat!

Thanks for the wonderful neighborhood place, Michael, and thanks for the incredible prices. I can't wait to check out the new joint tomorrow night.

Very belated thanks to Michael for accommodating my family during my dad's one-day return to DC from China over Father's Day weekend. My dad loved the cowboy cut, and his only regret was having eaten way too much on the flight (apparently, the food on ANA is surprisingly decent) earlier that morning -- otherwise he would've made a much bigger dent into the steak. For variety's sake, I got the Blue Devil and thoroughly enjoyed the sauces. That said, I'm perfectly happy to go back to the hanger and strip on future visits.

I had my parents in town a couple weeks ago and wanted to take them to Ray's as well as a couple of my other favorites in VA. They loved the place but had a similar complaint as silentbob, since we were in Old Town for lunch and had the lickety split at Eve's :-) One of the few times I've been to RTS and not gotten dessert. My dad loved the hanger though as it was the first he'd had the cut.

I’m going to Ray’s for the first time in a couple of nights. Any suggestions for which steak someone with a smallish appetite should order? (I tried to do my own research before posting, but I started getting carpal tunnel going through all the Ray’s posts.)

I’m going to Ray’s for the first time in a couple of nights. Any suggestions for which steak someone with a smallish appetite should order? (I tried to do my own research before posting, but I started getting carpal tunnel going through all the Ray’s posts.)

I would say order whatever you like as the leftovers make a pretty mean sandwich, omlette, or ...

Welcome to the boards! I have one of the largest appetite's in the world (I once ate, not an entire horse, but most of a horse and all of the jockey), and I have NEVER finished all of the food put in front of me at Ray's. The portions are huge and satisfyingly filling. This is a good thing - the food at RTS makes for excellent leftovers (read back a ways for some tips).

That said, if you are looking for some more modest options, the best person to ask would be Michael or, if he's off somewhere butchering cattle with his bare hands, your server. I'm sure they can find something that would suit your particular meat mass requirements.

Try the strip steak. Get soup for the appetizer.

Here's my usual strategy: get soup, salad, share a starter with your dining partner. Eat all of that. Order whatever you like for dinner, along with a side of mushrooms. Eat your sides, and manage a few bites of your steak. Save room for a slice of key lime pie.

Take most of your steak home, and along with the extra sides they'll throw into the box, you have at LEAST another entire meal there.

Frankly, this makes the meal a complete steal, as you're now getting two whole meals for less than you should be paying for one.

Note: same strategy worked at Ray's the Classics on Saturday. Urp.

Ooooh - I'd say to get the hangar. It's a "this is what a steak is supposed to taste like" steak and it at least looks like a modest portion on your plate.

Enjoy!

I agree with several others here. Get whatever steak you like and be prepared to bring home leftovers. Once and only once have I finished an entire steak at Ray's. I still don't know how I managed it and still ate dessert.

Any leftovers sliced then slightly warmed up make a great meal (or meals) the next day. So eat a little steak, some sides and save room for dessert. Pack the rest of the steak and sides up and you're good to go the next day.

Here's a cruel thing to do......bring your leftovers in to work the next day and eat them in front of your co-workers.....hehe Drives 'em crazy. :)

Take most of your steak home, and along with the extra sides they'll throw into the box, you have at LEAST another entire meal there....Note: same strategy worked at Ray's the Classics on Saturday.
We were at RTC on Saturday as well. No sides found their way into the boxes. Figured it was a RTS-only deal.... :)

We were at RTC on Saturday as well. No sides found their way into the boxes. Figured it was a RTS-only deal.... :)

Since the sides aren't included at RTC, that makes sense. I should have put that caveat in my post - the sides that made it in to my box were the ones I didn't finish on the table.

Michael,

Your staff is handling Rays the Steaks admirably in your absence. And, since I don't recall anyone writing an epistle to the faithful about your sirloin (at least not lately), let me be the first to praise it on these pages. Specifically, the Blue Devil treatment, which yields a monster piece of beef, lean, beefy, tender, and fully flavorful enough on its own that the chipotle diablo and blue cheese only accent the beef rather than overpowering it. The Trinitas Petit Sirah is a hell of a bargain on your list. It holds up well with the steak, and also mates well with the dark chocolate mousse dessert.

Michael,

Your staff is handling Rays the Steaks admirably in your absence. And, since I don't recall anyone writing an epistle to the faithful about your sirloin (at least not lately), let me be the first to praise it on these pages. Specifically, the Blue Devil treatment, which yields a monster piece of beef, lean, beefy, tender, and fully flavorful enough on its own that the chipotle diablo and blue cheese only accent the beef rather than overpowering it. The Trinitas Petit Sirah is a hell of a bargain on your list. It holds up well with the steak, and also mates well with the dark chocolate mousse dessert.

This is probably the most succinct and informative review of an RTS dinner that I have ever seen. I look forward to trying gtgthe petit syrah.

Thanks for the kind words, Jacques. I just figured that someone, sometime, had to say something about the sirloin, which is both damned tasty, sauced and unsauced, and an incredible value there even by Ray's standards. I could eat a ton of it, and I'm well on my way considering my past three or four trips there! :)

More kudos for RTS in Tom Sietsema's Post mag review of Jimmy's on K Street. Parenthetically, and in comparison to the likes of Jimmy's, Morton's, Ruth's Chris and the Palm, he writes that Ray's "upstages the big boys by simply serving superior cuts of meat at about half the price."

Ooooh - I'd say to get the hangar. It's a "this is what a steak is supposed to taste like" steak and it at least looks like a modest portion on your plate.

Enjoy!

The hangar steak was a great suggestion. I am assuming (and hoping) it is much smaller than many of the other options, because despite the frequent comments here about leftovers and my claim to a smallish appetite, I ate every bit of it -- as well as some of the delicious bread and the sides (including an order of the mushrooms). The whole meal, from complimentary spiced cashews to peanut butter fudge, was fantastic. (Regarding the cashews, I love places that bring you a bite to eat as soon as you sit down. It's so civilized.) I also was surprised and delighted that we had no trouble getting a table at 6:15. It's a reminder to take advantage of August by going places that are usually too crowded to get a table.

The hangar steak was a great suggestion. I am assuming (and hoping) it is much smaller than many of the other options...

Indeed, the hangar is substantially smaller than the Strip, or the brontosaurus-sized Cowboy, but it's also priced substantially lower as well.

Another fabulous experience at RTS this Saturday. It had been MONTHS since we'd been there--we always blame the long drive, but really that is just silly since it is still our favorite place in the entire area. I tried several things for the first time and just had to put in my two cents because the entire evening was just amazing.

First, although I am not a big shrimp fan and never have been, having tried the Shrimp Baklava at RTC during the preview dinner, and knowing the quality of food at RTS in general, I knew that the shrimp would be perfectly cooked and so I took the plunge and tried the Shrimp Diablo. WHOA! Michael and his staff have totally made me a shrimp fan after these two amazing dishes. This dish was perfectly cooked and full of flavor and I loved it.

Secondly, we tried the blackened scallops on a bed of carmalized onions and sauteed (I think?) garlic which was amazing. I have never in my life tasted a scallop dish like this--it melted in my mouth and the garlic and onions were sweet and savory and again, perfect. This is another seafood item, which, like shrimp, I generally avoid like the plague because of most restaurants' propensity to overcook it to the point of it being rubber. This, obviously, was not. It was FANTASTIC!

We also sampled the crab bisque, which I had never tried, and it too lived up to my expectations and indeed exceeded them. Definitely will be ordering that next time I'm there or at RTC, as I understand it has made its way on the menu there. It was out of this world.

Next, onto our favorites: petite filet, this time with horseradish cream which was great. Cooked perfectly, as always.

Finally, another first: key lime pie. I usually opt for the mousse, which is always fantastic, but I had heard that the key lime pie was not to be missed. This is a taste I've recently acquired--used to turn my nose up at anything lime as a kid, but now I'm totally addicted. Can honestly say this was the best pie crust I'd ever had--super buttery and crispy and just awesome, and the filling was equally as good. Definitely the real deal. Also served with a heaping of strawberries and massive dollop of fresh whipped cream.

And, oh, one more thing, the peanut butter fudge w/the check. I love that little touch.

All in all, an amazing experience. WELL worth the long drive from home for us--and I'm sure now that we'll be returning more often, despite the distance. There's always an excuse to go when the food and service are that great.

Kudos, also, to the staff, who are doing a great job in Michael's absence. Couldn't have been more friendly or attentive.

Sorry for the ignorance (haven't been to Ray's in a few months :) ), but is the flat iron steak on the menu now? Is it likely to be in the near future? I've been craving it lately.

It was not there last night and I don't believe it has been on the menu in a long, long time.

The place was packed last night and seemed to be crazier than usual, but that did not deter my enjoying the Au Poivre.

The place was packed last night and seemed to be crazier than usual

It certainly was an exceptionally lively atmosphere, and it was great! Kudos to the hostess, servers, and the rest of the staff for doing such an excellent job (as usual)!

How does the "reservation" policy work at RTS? From reading the above posts, it seems like there is some sort of "list" (a waiting list?) that I need to get on the day-of.

If I want to have dinner there on a Tuesday, how long can I expect to wait if I show up at 6:30/7:00?

How does the "reservation" policy work at RTS? From reading the above posts, it seems like there is some sort of "list" (a waiting list?) that I need to get on the day-of.

If I want to have dinner there on a Tuesday, how long can I expect to wait if I show up at 6:30/7:00?

Partially quoted from Michael's post a few months ago:

"Guests may come by any time after 4:30 to put their name on the list for any time later that evening, but only for that same day. Complete parties only, up to six only. Then you can go about your business, go see your movie, go have a drink, whatever, and come back and have your place in line held for you at that time for when your party arrives complete. It does not mean that you are guaranteed a table exactly at that time, but that your place is held in line for the first available table at that time or shortly thereafter."

I'll leave it to those who have been there more recently, but I would guess than an average wait on a weeknight for a table at that time would be 30 minutes.

I'll leave it to those who have been there more recently, but I would guess than an average wait on a weeknight for a table at that time would be 30 minutes.

That sounds about right. And as others have pointed out, those 30 minutes go by pretty quickly while you're drinking a margarita next door at Guajillo. Not that I know from personal experience.

Yesterday I got the bright idea that we should go to Ray's - with the miserable rain AND the holiday, there might no be so many people there! :)

NOT! :)

Braving the rain is nothing to fans of RTS. AGM and I got there at around 6:15, and of course we had to wait. No worries, though. We did greenberry's - If I go to Guajillo I want to eat there. But we did talk a couple who didn't want to wait for RTS into eating at Guajillo instead of leaving.

Lovely dinner as always. :wub:

Yesterday I got the bright idea that we should go to Ray's - with the miserable rain AND the holiday, there might no be so many people there! :)
Me too!!! Only I meant to go by and put my name on the list but life intervened and I did not make it. After a few starts and stops, we arrived at 8:10 to be told that 9:00 would be our seating time. It was still raining and gross, so we esconced to the car to make a few calls and wait for our seating. Around 8:40 we started the wait inside and let me tell you I saw some behavior that deserves comments:

The couple that arrived close to 9 p.m. while the wait was still great who bothered the poor hostess Danielle with mathemetical accounts at how long it could be before they would be seated; they ended up leaving.

The large group who arrived who proceeded to try to tell the staff how the available tables could be gerrymandered to make their table work. Then someone asked, when not happy that the tables could not be arranged to his liking when he wanted them to be, for Michael. Um, ok, a regular you are not for Michael has another place to be these nights.

Well, I am not to complain because, though our wait was long, we were rewarded with a great meal and great service. I finally got to sit back by the kitchen which was really a treat. Here is the kicker, we ordered the strip

which was fantastic and enough for a small army.

Oh, I finally tasted a dessert and I liked the mousse.

More importantly, I got to show off a restaurant that just tends to get it right consistently. Thanks!

Starting this Sunday, September 17 we will be open again on Sundays.

New fall hours in general are:

Tuesday-Friday, 5:30

Saturday & Sunday, 5:00

As long as the grill is still on we keep seating, typically until 10 weekdays, 10:30 Friday and Saturday, and 9:00-9:30 Sundays, but often later as well.

Seating is still first-come/first-serve, complete parties only, up to six only, and any and all are welcome to stop by anytime after 4 to be put on the list for later that evening.

Except Saturday, up until 6:15, you can typically be seated right away, up until 7, waits are rarely longer than 15-30 minutes, between 7-8:30 waits are usually 30-45 minutes or so, maybe an hour, and from 9 on usually 15-20 minutes.

This is not true for Saturdays, I repeat, when I never recommend stopping by without having first put your name on the list.

One thing to remember at Ray's is that once you are seated within 15 minutes you have already ordered, received your beverages, have spicy cashews in front of you, and are most likely already enjoying your soup or salad--whereas at many restaurants (including, perhaps, Ray's The Classics) you are still waiting for your drink or wine order to be taken after being seated and presented with menus and wine lists. So even with a 30 minute wait, you are well into enjoying your meal 45 minutes after posting at the gate.

To some this is a tremendous boon, and to others, I know, an unforgiveable affront, but it does shift and alter the meaning of just what a 45 minute wait at Ray's is versus other restaurants.

Sundays have always been my favorite day at Ray's the Steaks with a great, bustling, but still relaxed atmosphere--and usually parking is a lot easier--and you may just get to see me in shorts again (hint, hint, hillvalley).

Wow. It's like you made the change to RTS's hours specifically to accommodate the circumstances of my life.

My dad had such a great experience at RTS during his last visit to DC that on the car ride from the airport today he asked if we wanted to go tomorrow. (He hasn't asked to repeat any other restaurant or activity.) I said, "Oh, but on Saturday it will be really crowded." And I thought to myself, "Curses! If only RTS were open on Sunday! Why must life prove to be an endless series of disappointments and traumas?"

Problem solved.

One thing has changed since our last visit: We have a 6-week old baby. Will there be a problem parking him in his infant carrier on a booth? (We're beginners at the whole project of dining out with him -- don't know exactly where it is safe and convenient to put a carrier. Will the infant carrier teeter precariously on a chair? (I suppose this is a general question that isn't totally RTS-specific.))

Will there be a problem parking him in his infant carrier on a booth? (We're beginners at the whole project of dining out with him -- don't know exactly where it is safe and convenient to put a carrier. Will the infant carrier teeter precariously on a chair?
Short answer...duct tape...learn to love it.

Just wanted to report in that, even with Michael up in Silver Spring, RTS is still pumping out giant portions of oodling quality.

I took a risk by taking my soon-to-be in-laws. They're the sort of self-entitled, spoiled rotten, miserable and overcome-by-culture-of-victimization parasites that have no place in Ray's. They're the kind of New Yorkers (with the thickest, loudest accents you've ever heard outside of Fran Drescher) that make people in places like Colorado say, under their breath, "New Yorkers." The kind you see in movies. They're spoiled children who throw tantrums when they don't exactly get their picky, contorted-world-view way.*

Can you tell how much I love my beautiful-flower-that-grew-out-of-a-pot-of-dirt fiancee that I'm willing to put up with these people to marry her?

I gave them all the usual Ray's virgin caveats: it's noisy, little decor, there WILL BE a wait when we got at 6 on a Saturday, etc. Despite this, the first words out of the mother's mouth were, in her piercing, loud, annoying accent: "Well, there's a wait!" the entire crowd outside turned to look at her as if she'd just complained about the fact that the sky is blue. I was soooo embarassed.

EDIT: She seemed in better spirits when the "45 minute" wait we were quoted turned out to actually be 10 minutes - Michael's places never cease to amaze!

She's the expert of backhanded compliments like "I'll bet he saves a lot of money on decorations!"

Our waitress, Carrie, was awesome. She sized them up immediately and knew exactly how to take care of their bizarre customs. She took, with good nature and aplomb, the mother's refusal to eat the shrimp appetizer because there was no cocktail sauce, her refusal to eat the french onion soup because there WASN'T a slab of plasitcky cheese on top, her mention that she'd rather get dessert at Dairy Queen on the way home, and the father's request for ketchup.**

However, the mother gobled up her shrimp scampi entree and said it was "Delicious." I don't think I've ever heard her say something was "delicious" without also complaining about it. The father said his steak was "better than Peter Luger's" and, in the end, did NOT use his ketchup (thank GOD). I can't think of more meaningful, positive reviews for Ray's than what came from these people BECAUSE it came from those people.

As for me, I had the bisque, which was even better than usual (I should really get a bowl one of these days). Did they change the sherry? I did my usual flip-flop over whether to get the house special or the blue devil - blue devil won out and is sitting in my fridge, mocking me with its perfectly-cooked, half-eaten goodness. The key lime was excellent (but a mistake, since I could barely walk afterwards). The mashed potatoes seemed creamier than usual, which is always a welcome improvement to mashed potatoes. The mother wouldn't eat the spinach because it "might have e. coli," despite my assurances that 1) it's doubtful they get their spinach, bagged, in the grocery store, and that 2) you can't get infected by much of anything from COOKED spinach. Whatever, more for me.

So Michael, thank your staff for putting up with my less-than-appreciative guests, especially Carrie. And everyone - RTS is still doing amazing work, even on autopilot. :)

*Please note that this is meant, in no way, to imply that I dislike people from New York, the city of New York itself, nor should my comments in any way cause damage to the feelings, psyches, or egos of the expatriated New Yorkers who participate here. These just happen to be unbearable people who seem to embody the negative qualities of an otherwise great city and welcoming people.

**Michael - please note that their complaints should in no way affect ANYTHING. All those dishes are perfect the way they are!!!!

After his second dinner at RTS, on Sunday, my dad said he wants to make it a tradition on every visit he makes to DC. I said, "Fine. Be that way."

My wife, dad, and 6-week-old miniature person showed up just after five and were seated at the corner banquette by the table. The logistics were really perfect: With three adults, the miniature person got to stay in his carseat in the secure corner, tended to by his mother at first, then by me when she realized she needed two hands to eat her steak.

I figured that because we were going early and because the Sunday hours are new, it would be relaxed and less crowded. True dat. It was leisurely and relaxed, never more than half-full. I'm sure Sundays will get more crowded as word gets out.

Food-wise, ditto to every post above. Except the bad ones.

I went to Rays the Steaks tonight -- my first trip to either RTS or RTC. I spent all day re-reading this thread just so I could know EXACTLY what I was ordering! :) As you would expect, I'm smitten. I started w/ the crab bisque -- I think that when I go back I'll ask for a vat and just dunk myself in it. My friend had the onion soup and loved it. I tried a bit -- I liked that it was easy on the salt (I think someone else had mentioned that) and that we didn't have to use a knife and fork to get through the cheese to the soup. For a main, I had the New York strip rare, diablo style. My dear friend, bless her tortuously messed up soul, had the sirloin well done, also diablo style. Despite my personal lack of understanding of charring meat to that degree, she loved it.

I won't keep rehashing all the great stuff that's already been said...suffice to say, RTS has a new devotee. My friend and I spent a good hour and a half afterwards sitting on the glider. We saw Michael at one point (holy cutie Batman! :) ) but he looked like he was rushing in and out so we didn't want to bother him. Maybe next time!

I have a friend, who at one time was a RTS regular with an ex,

is now too embarassed to bring the new significant other because he will order his steak

"cooked until it is truly gray and dead."

You've got to admire and question the sanity of someone who will deprive themselves a great steak

because of the respect they have for a chef.

I have a friend, who at one time was a RTS regular with an ex,

is now too embarassed to bring the new significant other because he will order his steak

"cooked until it is truly gray and dead."

You've got to admire and question the sanity of someone who will deprive themselves a great steak

because of the respect they have for a chef.

What I would question is whether she's going to stay with the new guy, based on his poor taste...

So I was looking at an oooooooold Ray's menu at one of those on-line review sites. Two items that are no longer on the menu caught my eye-

Short Ribs Braised in Guiness Stout and Colman's Mustard

THE STEAKBURGER - Unlimited Choice of Toppings!!

What were they, and were they any good?

Actually, it's Ray's, so the question should be: What were they, and how good were they?

The tartare is available in the devilishly good eggs at RTC.
Forget the bloody progenitor of modern hamburger (tartare), I want to know about the HAMBURGER!

The modern American hamburger is hands down my favorite food. If Ray's at one time offered such a thing, it will give me the extra push I need to finish my time machine.

During its existence it stood out as one of the best, if not the best burger in the ara. If memory serves, Landrum used various steak trimmings to put it together. there was a lot of chatter about it on one of the message boards.

Wasn't it only available on Sunady's and possibly only at lunch or have I blended it together with Colorado Kitchen's burger???

Kicked off my bachelor party weekend with a Friday trip to Ray's the Steaks.

I took some Ray's virgins who, lamentably, ordered their steaks with low char, despite my repeated insistence that they were making a mistake. A quick bite of my house special showed them the error of their decision.

One of them ordered the 20-oz custom cut NY Strip. That's a beautiful and huge piece of meat. I think 20-oz is lowballing it.

As with all the servers I've had at Ray's over the years, Simone (sp?) was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and professional.

I bookended my bachelor party weekend with Ray's by having my leftovers on Sunday.

When happened in between would not be appropriate for such a family-friendly forum.