Blue Duck Tavern, in the Park Hyatt, West End - Chef Daniel Hoefler the Latest in an Ever-Growing List

This morning I find myself thinking about the Blue Duck Tavern - specifically about the "duck" and why is he so "blue"? Lackadaisi and I went to the Blue Duck Tavern for dinner last night and examined the poor "duck's" situation first hand:

Perhaps the duck is "blue" because, although the space of the restaurant is lovely (clean and crisp with a bustling open kitchen, an attractive "open" wine cellar, and a comfortable, columnar lounge area), you couldn't hear yourself think due to all of the noise. Even our waiter had issues taking our order and when you can't hear Lacakadaisi at the table - well, you have a volume problem (sorry sweetheart!) They need some soft, sound-absorbing surfaces - fast!

But maybe the duck is "blue" for other reasons? The serviceable, but un-seasoned flavored pea soup? The marrowbone that was overpowered by its toasted garlic country bread side? The overly-salty Hawaiian Shrimp dish swimming in butter? The duck could find some solace in the heirloom tomato salad (the goat cheese "discs" were nice and the tomatoes were ripe and sweet - and perfectly seasoned) and the sauteed leek sidedish, but as for our dinner last night, that's about it. We had read nice things about the Lamb pot - but were mysteriously steered away from this dish by our waiter (who told us, unsolicited, that he just "would not get the lamb dish or the baked clams". No real menu suggestions, just this lone statement. How can you order the lamb - or clams - after that?)

The service was good, albeit a bit more pretentious than what I would expect to see at a "market style", share-your-dish restaurant. (For me, the formalness of the place just didn't seem to fit with the food). The staff was efficient and attentive, so the duck really shouldn't feel too bad about this. Perhaps they need a little more "tavern" in their tavern?

I really did like the "market style" idea and seeing that tractor-trailer of an oven in the middle of the kitchen was pretty cool. The wine list looked interesting - although it was a bit strange when the waiter told us that the wines on the first couple of pages were 'specially selected by their wine shop'... (Does the Blue Duck have a sommelier? Is the chef ordering the wine? What does this statement mean???)

All in all, I saw a great potential of ingredients in a nice (but acoustically challenged) space. I think the duck is "blue" because it is only "potential" at this point and not reality. It seems a lot of posters found lunch to be quite nice - so perhaps that is the way to go for now - as this hopefully restaurant finds it's groove.

Cheer up, Mr. Duck, we will keep an eye on you and see what happens. But for now, we will continue "hunting" elsewhere...

A group of four of us had dinner here Monday. Overall, I loved the design of the kitchen and how it's all open and spills out into the dining room sortof. The food was very good, I particuarly enjoyed the marrow, pork terrine, cote de beouf, polenta, tomatoes and strawberry icecream, we ate to much food, drank to much wine and talked to much business.

I had no idea Mark Hellyar (ex Chef de Cuisine at Nora) was back in town and sousing here

I maybe wrong, but the info I have from people that work there is that Mark is the Chef de Cuisine. He sent out some things he was working on to the table, and seemed like a nice enough fellow.

I loved Melrose, and I'm a very big fan of McBride's cooking. So I looked forward to dinner at Blue Duck last Saturday. I came away really, really missing Melrose.

I can see where they spent millions re-decorating. The quality and the craftsmanship is obvious. I just wish they hadn't. I, personally, don't find comfort dining in the neo-industrial dining room with it's bare floors, white column walls and angular spaces. The addition of shaker furniture seems out of place, and no more inviting. While some may enjoy a view of the busy, open kitchen and a gigantic stove, I find the whole scene distracting. It all adds up, to me anyway, to be a dark/shadowy and unbearably loud environment, and that was at 50-75% capacity.

The staff is plentiful, extremely polite, and in most cases very professional. Communication among them was still lacking, perhaps because they have to scream to one another to be heard over the din. They are all dressed in black suits like the bad guys in The Matrix and few of them smiled. The waiter was not familiar with the wine list, and did not offer up anyone who was familiar with it. Needless to say, they didn't add to the Welcome mat.

The food was mixed. I thought the Marrow was unique and delicious. I expected to be digging out of the hollow of a bone with a marrow spoon, so imagine my delight when I found the bone had been sliced along its axis with a band saw. The Roasted Clams were not so good. They were at least slighly overcooked, having become quite chewy. But worse, they came with an abundance of their red pepper topping, which had to be largely scrapped off to keep from overwhelming any other taste.

My wife's Pork Chop was outstanding and served perfectly cooked. I don't recall the source, but this was clearly a gourmet varietal unlike anything in the pork section at Giant. Even better than several other "new" pork offerings I've enjoyed. My whole roasted Sea Bream was beautiful, if a little overcooked, a little dry, and a little bland. The sides were also a little disappointing. The fries were cut into large rectangles, and although well seasoned, seemed too dry. I expected, and looked forward to, a moistness, or even an oilyness(sp) from the duck fat. I'm sure others might find this to be a positive, as there is a fine line between moistness and greasiness when it comes to duck fat, but I missed the decadence. There are several "frites" in Washington that I like better. The Lima Beans with Mushrooms were just okay. These were very large lima beans, and I find the smaller ones to be sweeter. Dessert was delicious, home-made ice cream (ridiculously served in an enormous, deep glass bowl with a straight wooden spoon). Coffee and espresso were excellent.

It may be worth noting that the prices are not as "reasonable" as they first seem. I don't have the menu in front of me, but entrees where maybe $21-25. But if you add an $8 side dish, it gets pricey. A Bombay gin martini, btw, was $14.

Everytime I left Melrose I looked forward to returning. While I only had a sampling of the menu, I can't say the same for Blue Duck. A previous poster put it best, so to slightly misqoute him..."they seem to need more "tavern" at the Tavern."

I went to the Blue Duck Tavern for the first time for dinner on Sunday night. First, the space is absolutely gorgeous -- very modern, sleek and elegant, but comfortable. Even without cushions, the beautiful wood chairs were very comfortable -- they resembled Thos. Moser or George Nakashima style pieces, which seem to perfectly fit most peoples' backsides no matter how big or small -- we ranged from 5 ft. tall to over 6 ft. and everyone was comfortable. Along the windows on M Street, however, there are long benches, and it looks like it might be awkward to sit there. Although some people have said it's noisy, we didn't have a problem --and we were seated right by the kitchen. We were impressed by how serene the kitchen was -- no shouting, no racing around with hot pots, no chaos, no banging or clanging of cookware.

Second, the menu had so many tempting choices. For the appetizers, we ordered the heirloom tomato and goat cheese salad, the sardines and a special smoked trout dish. The portions were very generous, and 2 appetizers would have been plenty for the three of us. All were delicious. The tomato salad was very simple, but elegant -- the tomatoes were peeled -- you don't see that in too many places. Then for the mains we ordered the whole roasted sea bream, wild Alaskan salmon, and a halibut dish. The sea bream, which is served whole and unboned, was delicious, although a bit overcooked. The skin was nice and crispy, and the seasoning, which seemed to be just salt, pepper and slices of lemon inside the fish, was perfect. The fish was big enough that I ate only half of it and took the rest home. The salmon, on the other hand, was cooked to the right degree of doneness but was a bit bland and unexciting. The halibut was consumed too quickly for me to get a taste. Compared with the sea bream, the salmon and halibut portions seemed small or at best average. As a side dish, we had the fava beans, chanterelles and pistachios, which was delicious, and again, plenty to share among three people. I agree with some other comments about the side dishes being pricey. I'd rather have smaller, individual portions for less money, which I think would make it easier to order several side dishes. I would have liked to try the french fries and some other sides but it would have been too much food/money. I'm also not that keen on the family style service. It seems to create more work/expense by requiring that each person receive a plate to eat from and a casserole or dish from which the food is served, plus, the separate side dishes, and as I mentioned, some of the portion sizes of the entrees just seemed a bit small for that kind of service. It just struck me as a bit gimmicky.

My impression was that the cooking is designed to be very simple, without heavy sauces or other embellishments, in order to allow the pure flavors of really fresh ingredients to shine. I think that backfired with the salmon, but worked well with most of the other dishes.

For dessert -- apple tart and vanilla ice cream. The ice cream was very good, but the tart was just okay, not too special. There were other desserts that sounded really good -- peach ice cream stands out in my mind -- but we were all so full that we decided to share one (large) tart.

The wine list was quite intriguing -- lots of things I'd like to try. I use a particular Rhone red as a benchmark to see if the list is expensive or not, and several of the selections did seem a little pricier than I have seen in other restaurants, but there do seem to be some well priced wines. We had a Domaine Weinbach Gewurtraminer which was fabulous and quite reasonably priced. There also seemed to be a good selection of reasonably priced pinot noirs.

The service was quite good. Everyone was attentive, friendly, professional, accommodating -- and lots of genuine looking smiles.

All in all a very good experience. For me, it is definitely worth a repeat visit to try other dishes -- here we stuck to fish so will try some of the meat dishes next time.

went here last night with my family and while the food was quite good, the service was anything but....

the servers were M.I.A. most of the night- though they were friendly the few times we did see them. water glasses went unfilled through almost all of dinner. they served my mother soup without a spoon and we waited at least ten minutes before we could find someone to get her a spoon, soup getting cold in the process. we were given dessert menus but twenty minutes later, despite many attempts at eye contact no one had come by to take our order so we gave up and just asked for the check when they finally came around.

this is not the place to go for a romantic dinner- it's loud in there. maybe because we were sitting near the kitchen in the middle of the restaurant but my grandfather commented: this is the loudest non-Chinese restaurant I've ever been to. (it's ok, we're chinese :) )

hopefully they'll be able to sort out their service issues because the food was quite good, highlights included the marrowbone on country bread, bratwurst, the duck with molasses and the pickled tomatos.

went here last night with my family and while the food was quite good, the service was anything but....

the servers were M.I.A. most of the night- though they were friendly the few times we did see them. water glasses went unfilled through almost all of dinner. they served my mother soup without a spoon and we waited at least ten minutes before we could find someone to get her a spoon, soup getting cold in the process.

We were there last month and had the same problem -- soup but no spoon (someone also mentioned this issue earlier in this thread). Once we got the server's attention, though, he offered to reheat the soup (husband declined).

Get over there NOW and get that lamb hot pot before they raise the price.

... If this dish is on the menu six months from now at $20, and has the same quantity and quality of ingredients, I'll run down K Street with no clothes on during rush hour.

Sietsema didn't like the lamb hot pot all that much (I wonder if it's still the same as when the restaurant opened): * * 1/2

but I agree with Tom on the marrow. It is so delicious.

I was at Blue Duck last night and started off the meal with it based on what I had read. I was not disappointed, they were exquisite!! Sorry if I sound like a gushing school boy with a crush, but they really were just that good. Unfortunately, I was also forced to share my marrow bones.

As a relative n00b, I'm unsure how to relate my experience 'cause so much of it centered on the fact that my 17 month old was with us. Is that the sort of thing people care to hear about in the general dining thread or is there a dining w/ babies thread I should be talking about this kind of stuff in?

Apologies for the length - I got carried away...

Blue ducks are indigenous to New Zealand and the few that are left there are among the rare few waterfowl anywhere that live, eat and rear their young entirely on fast flowing river water. As befits an endangered species, they are difficult to find.

Perhaps it is in testament to this elusiveness and the danger that fast flowing water suggests that hot-shot design firm Tony Chi made the trip to the dining room at the refurbished Park Hyatt's restaurant so complicated and dangerous. For a space that cannot help be what it is – a hotel lobby – it is a fun voyage. Navigate past the "tea lounge" (a humidor displays blocks of cellophane-wrapped raw tea like contraband in some high-tech DEA exhibit). Check out the glass cubicles around the bar (the punters must look like like pinned buterflies at happy hour) although at lunch the whole tea/bar space is expansively empty.

Dodge down narrow ramps, trip down artfully concealed steps and finally your voyage is over, the rushing waters subside, and you are in the relative oasis of the dining area. Only relative because the open kitchen is the first thing you see - full of men and women hovering over the blue beast: a massive Molteni range featured in the WaPo even before BDT opened. The Post wowed at the cost - about that of a small airplane - and the crane needed to bring it in. Now it is hooked up it lurks like some massive queen bee surrounded by worshiping dancing drones.

I really liked BDT's predecessor Melrose. It was pricey and overrun with Georgetown Ladies Who Lunch with very, very good food. It felt bright and civilized – quite apart from the low roar of political/business drudgery that infests the vibe in most good restaurants in “this town.” It felt like the kind of place where the hotel restaurant revolution really had hit its stride. No super-chef and glitz; just a very reliable and pleasant place to eat.

The Park Hyatt kept Chef McBride from Melrose but has now upped the glitz quotient and the PR seems to be trying to elevate this man to his rightful place as star of the show. Whether the rest of the staff will measure up remains to be seen. The restaurant is new so I can excuse the foibles of the wait staff with their hit and run service even if the place remains priced for the expense account and money-is-no-object crowd.

Why, I asked, do the sardines with cured lemons showed no visible evidence of lemons? “I don’t know. Ask him (pointing to someone on the other side of the room). He might know.” Clueless on how to fix a rocking table. “It’s these stone floors.” Maybe that’s why a half inch thick bit of cork isn’t fixing the problem. And I still hold that whoever coined the phrase "Are you still working on that?" deserves a special place in hell.

But frankly they could whip me with chains and drench me in leftover duck fat from the Frialator. I'd keep coming back. This is some of the best food in the city.

The afforementioned sardines on super-light flatbread crisps with slivers of olives certainly do have the tang of cured Moroccan lemons. Green pea soup is intense and seems so creamy – until the sweet corn grits with chantrelle mushrooms arrive draped with slivers of what tastes like top quality cheddar .

Like the cheddar, all the food fairly reeks of craft. The menu tells you what farm your veal schnitzel lived and died on, and your half black feather chicken too, whatever that is (other than an ostentatious refutation of the taste available from its plastic wrapped cousins stacked up in coolers at Safeway).

Not everything hits the mark. The life of danger you flirt with as you order the “angry trout” evaporates as you get – a trout (albeit cut open head to tail, spread open and folded over itself so that all the poor bastard’s little teeth are flayed out in a useless defense). A side of sautéed young leeks rather lacks the punchy citrus taste for which true Welshmen weep. Batter fried soft shell crab is awfully good complemented with a great herby remoulade/mayonnaise sauce that saves it only just from being what you would get pretty much any competent where else.

I’m looking forward to going back for dinner. The wodges of fried potato logs – they are beyond mere French fries as they sprout from silver ramekins – are dark with duck fat in the evening. And the bloggers here are in shock over the lamb “hot pot” in jus and bone marrow. I know, however, what I’ll be getting for desert: the apple pie may be the best I’ve ever tasted. Slightly tart. Well built crust. Not too wet. A la mode with vanilla ice cream flecked with pith of the beans. If this baker could make Moms as well as his pie the psychiatric profession in this country would evaporate.

So never mind that you cannot hear your waiter as he mumbles his introduction because of the too loud fusion jazz (ugh) cascading out of the ceiling speakers and bouncing off the stone floors. Never mind the harsh architecture of the room clashing against the curvy Amish benches and willowy winding wood of the armchairs. Never mind the stiff drink prices. Overdesigned décor, hotel lobby ambiance and a bit of human chaos in the presentation only underscore the very high points McBride et al hit in the kitchen when they do – and at the moment they hit them over and over again. Like their New Zealand namesake Blue Ducks, they thrive despite an environment that can sometimes seem absurdly inhospitable. Here’s hoping that the caliber of their cooking continues to thrive through winter and well beyond.

Like their New Zealand namesake Blue Ducks, they thrive despite an environment that can sometimes seem absurdly inhospitable. Here’s hoping that the caliber of their cooking continues to thrive through winter and well beyond.

you are correct the chef is a great cook and they will likely continue to thrive. All hail the king.

A Miracle of Alchemy

Recently at Blue Duck Tavern I ordered the bratwurst, because I was so in the mood for something like that. But it came with sauerkraut. What to do?

Let me explain: my earliest food related memory is sitting at the dining room table for three hours after the family had finished dinner, with a small serving of sauerkraut on the plate and a promise that Pop had brought candy home from work just for me, if only I would eat my sauerkraut. I think I was about four years old at the time. I was sent to bed hungry, without dessert or candy or anything else, feeling triumphant.

Over the years I might have developed at least a tolerance for the stuff, except for an unfortunate laboratory accident involving a 500mL bottle of glacial acetic acid (about 20 times stronger than white vinegar) that I tipped over, which ran all down the front of my shirt and jeans. It seemed like I was smelling vinegar for weeks. It was years before I could eat anything with vinegar in it, and now, 18 years later, I'm still nauseated by a strong whif of it.

So there I was in Blue Duck, with two beautiful juicy bratwursts resting atop a tangle of beer-and-white-wine-braised sauerkraut. No promise of candy, either. Jesus, I think, I'm not four years old any more, and I did order the stuff, and it won't kill me to try it, and it probably won't gag me either, so just ignore your inner child and try the goddamn stuff already.

Oh so carefully I forked a few strands, lifted it to my mouth (reflexively trying not to breathe), and...

Well, whaddya know? I like the stuff! At least I like what chef McBride served me. It's mild and a little winey and yeasty. And it's delicious.

The brats are damn fine, too. Perfect with some royal trumpet mushrooms and sweet dumpling squash.

The free form apple pies, with a rich flaky crust and lightly caramelized fruit (big enough for two people) are also much, much better than any candy.

Mom, Pop, you listening? Thirty seven years later, I finally ate my sauerkraut.

A Miracle of Alchemy

Recently at Blue Duck Tavern I ordered the bratwurst, because I was so in the mood for something like that. But it came with sauerkraut. What to do?

Let me explain: my earliest food related memory is sitting at the dining room table for three hours after the family had finished dinner, with a small serving of sauerkraut on the plate and a promise that Pop had brought candy home from work just for me, if only I would eat my sauerkraut. I think I was about four years old at the time. I was sent to bed hungry, without dessert or candy or anything else, feeling triumphant.

Over the years I might have developed at least a tolerance for the stuff, except for an unfortunate laboratory accident involving a 500mL bottle of glacial acetic acid (about 20 times stronger than white vinegar) that I tipped over, which ran all down the front of my shirt and jeans. It seemed like I was smelling vinegar for weeks. It was years before I could eat anything with vinegar in it, and now, 18 years later, I'm still nauseated by a strong whif of it.

So there I was in Blue Duck, with two beautiful juicy bratwursts resting atop a tangle of beer-and-white-wine-braised sauerkraut. No promise of candy, either. Jesus, I think, I'm not four years old any more, and I did order the stuff, and it won't kill me to try it, and it probably won't gag me either, so just ignore your inner child and try the goddamn stuff already.

Oh so carefully I forked a few strands, lifted it to my mouth (reflexively trying not to breathe), and...

Well, whaddya know? I like the stuff! At least I like what chef McBride served me. It's mild and a little winey and yeasty. And it's delicious.

The brats are damn fine, too. Perfect with some royal trumpet mushrooms and sweet dumpling squash.

The free form apple pies, with a rich flaky crust and lightly caramelized fruit (big enough for two people) are also much, much better than any candy.

Mom, Pop, you listening? Thirty seven years later, I finally ate my sauerkraut.

Cheers mate! Hearty congratulations to you for not being like these people.

Just had lunch at the Blue Duck Tavern -- my first time there. I won't go into too many details because many of them echo what's above. I will say that the scallops were fabulous, and the glazed carrots we got with them were wonderful -- still some crispness to them and not overwhelmed with sugary sweet.

Also loved the desserts -- the way the ice cream is presented is pretty neat and we had a gingerbread ice cream that was yummy. Very gingerbready with a touch of something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. We also split the individually sized apple pie -- this was the highlight of the meal. The crust is flaky without tasting stale and it has delicious bits of caramel and cinnamon on top. I loved it.

Service was wonderful. We had Zack (I believe) and he was great -- had good suggestions, was very pleasant and put up with our discussion about whether the Wahlberg brothers have matured into serious actors.

Definitely try the apple pie if you go....

So I have an important evening planned. Blue Duck takes my reservation. I tell my colleague, "We'll be dining at Blue Duck at X hour." Blue Duck later calls back -- apparently, they made a mistake. No table will be availbale until at least over an hour later on that evening, which nears 10:00 p.m. In my humble opinion, and once they've effusively taken my reservation, this is unacceptable. Once you take the reservation, you agree to honor it. Otherwise, you should not so confidently take it. Some sort of accomodation, or apology, should be made. I actually want no apology. An apology does not restore the reservation I promised others. Rather, I'd prefer honesty, and not a subsequent phone call informing me that the restaurant cannot plan its evening. In any event, I presume Blue Duck's menu is better than its staff, or the person that responded to my request. In any event, somebody else better inform me that Blue Duck's menu outbalances this incident, because I doubt I'll be making a return reservation.

In my humble opinion, and once they've effusively taken my reservation, this is unacceptable. Once you take the reservation, you agree to honor it. Otherwise, you should not so confidently take it. Some sort of accomodation, or apology, should be made. I actually want no apology. An apology does not restore the reservation I promised others.

They made a mistake. And they called you to let you know. They could have, of course, just let you show up and cool your heels for an hour, all the while blaming the earlier customers for showing up late or dining slowly ( all of which do happen). But they were honest and told you of their mistake. And you won't be back.

OK

So I have an important evening planned. Blue Duck takes my reservation. I tell my colleague, "We'll be dining at Blue Duck at X hour." Blue Duck later calls back -- apparently, they made a mistake. No table will be availbale until at least over an hour later on that evening, which nears 10:00 p.m. In my humble opinion, and once they've effusively taken my reservation, this is unacceptable. Once you take the reservation, you agree to honor it. Otherwise, you should not so confidently take it. Some sort of accomodation, or apology, should be made. I actually want no apology. An apology does not restore the reservation I promised others. Rather, I'd prefer honesty, and not a subsequent phone call informing me that the restaurant cannot plan its evening. In any event, I presume Blue Duck's menu is better than its staff, or the person that responded to my request. In any event, somebody else better inform me that Blue Duck's menu outbalances this incident, because I doubt I'll be making a return reservation.

wolverine,

Blue Duck has done nothing wrong.

Everyone else: Please don't pile on.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Blue Duck uses OpenTable. That is supposed to make it impossible to book tables when they aren't available. I wonder what really happened.
Someone took a reservation when they were not in front of the Open Table terminal. Thank goodness they took the phone number as well.

Blue Duck later calls back -- apparently, they made a mistake. No table will be availbale until at least over an hour later on that evening, which nears 10:00 p.m.

Be thankful that you now have to go somewhere that your guests will be able to hear each other speak.

Someone took a reservation when they were not in front of the Open Table terminal. Thank goodness they took the phone number as well.

Open Table allows you to add slots, to overbook slots and to change times. Any of these issues can result in an overbooking if the person making the change does not have or follow proceedures necessary to cover any of these changes.

As for sitting at the bar, I'll just gently say ... don't.

I have plans to meet friends at the bar tonight, possibly to eat in the bar. Don's mysteriously omninous quote gives me pause. Care to elaborate? Has anyone tried the bar menu? We'd be going on the early side.

I have plans to meet friends at the bar tonight, possibly to eat in the bar. Don's mysteriously omninous quote gives me pause. Care to elaborate? Has anyone tried the bar menu? We'd be going on the early side.

Bar service has much improved (it was in disarray when they first opened), so that comment is now outdated. I don't particularly care for the atmosphere at the bar there - it feels like you're in a sterile fishbowl - but I would happily return regardless. Note that only a portion of the dining-room menu is available at the bar.

Cheers,

Rocks.

We ended up having quite a nice night in the bar. The service was both welcoming and efficient. We sat at a chair grouping, avoiding the fishbowl rooms, which seemed unappealing even more for their wooden benches than for their glass enclosures. The mini garlic breadsticks were a nice touch and went well with the Manhattan I ordered from their classic cocktails list. I had the angry trout with pears, bacon, hazelnuts, and sage. (I happened upon a recipe for the trout on The List. Looks reasonably easy, though I don't happen to have a ball of caul fat lying around.) It was really delicious -- slightly sweet, and with lots of different textures from the pear and hazelnuts (the dim light made each forkful a bit of a surprise). I was a little disappointed with the fries -- the flavor was nice, but I guess I prefer my fries more thinly cut. I also had brussels sprouts with chanterelles and pistachios; they were good, but not standouts. Four of us shared the gigantic apple pie, which I highly recommend (both ordering it and sharing it).

We had dinner at BDT last night. I was looking forward to bratwurst, sauerkraut and fries, and the restaurant did not disappoint. I also got the beet salad, with goat cheese, endive, and pumpkin seeds. It was a nice combination of flavors. Beets and goat cheese are paired fairly often, but the addition of endive and pumpkin seeds really enhanced the salad. One thing I love about this time of year is toasted pumpkin seeds. My husband went for the tavern steak (which I enjoyed a bit of) and more fries :lol: I was too full for dessert and was disappointed because I wanted to try the apple pie. Next time, I guess. We each got a Sierra Nevada before the meal and I had a wonderful glass of Acacia Pinot Noir with the meal.

There were a few, fairly small, issues that left me a bit :) The service was generally quite good, enthusiastic and helpful. I knew about the communal serving dishes ahead of time but was still a little bemused by serving myself. It did make it easier to share the steak, but the table seemed cluttered. I liked the delivery system for the fries, though. Biggest grump of the night: the butter for the bread was cold and rock solid :) . (Let the fact that that was the biggest complaint we had inform the reading of the rest of the post.)

Another issue was service-related and it took me until this morning to figure out what really bothered me about it. My husband and I have different last names, so occasionally one of us (usually me) will get called by the other's last name. Throughout the meal, the waiter referred to my husband as Mr. my-last-name. My husband didn't mind, and we kind of shrugged it off. It seemed like an awkward thing to make a point of (and I never realized before we got married how many complications having different names would cause).

I make all the restaurant reservations and have an ambiguous name, so it's understandable why it would happen. It was only well after the fact that I realized that the waiter only addressed him by name. He assumed that he was the the person who made the reservation. I could have been his wife, mistress, sister, or anything else, so he didn't have a name to call me. (I understand: How embarrassing to call me Mrs. my-last-name if I turned out not to be his wife.)

It left me wondering if I should change my open table account to use more my feminine full first name as opposed to the nickname I always use. I'm not bringing this up to criticize this restaurant, because it has happened before. It's, I guess, a matter of managing to maintain some kind of traditional etiquette and formality in a world where people have ambiguous names. And, in the end, my husband was the one who paid the check.

So, I'm throwing this out as a question rather than a criticism: Should I make it more explicit that I am female when I make reservations? Should I use my husband's name? Is it not worth fussing about? Is there a non-awkward way to bring it up with a server when something like this happens? I understand that people in the hospitality business are trying to be as hospitable as possible, and I'm not trying to make it any harder.

We ended up having quite a nice night in the bar. The service was both welcoming and efficient. We sat at a chair grouping, avoiding the fishbowl rooms, which seemed unappealing even more for their wooden benches than for their glass enclosures. The mini garlic breadsticks were a nice touch and went well with the Manhattan I ordered from their classic cocktails list. I had the angry trout with pears, bacon, hazelnuts, and sage. (I happened upon a recipe for the trout on The List. Looks reasonably easy, though I don't happen to have a ball of caul fat lying around.) It was really delicious -- slightly sweet, and with lots of different textures from the pear and hazelnuts (the dim light made each forkful a bit of a surprise). I was a little disappointed with the fries -- the flavor was nice, but I guess I prefer my fries more thinly cut. I also had brussels sprouts with chanterelles and pistachios; they were good, but not standouts. Four of us shared the gigantic apple pie, which I highly recommend (both ordering it and sharing it).

stopped by the Blue Duck Tavern early on Thursday evening with kids in tow - I have to say I was quite impressed with the place, in terms of decor, service and food - the place is so sleek and chic that when you walk in you do worry that they'll be too cool for school but the service was just great from start to finish

we grazed through the menu....fresh oysters were excellent, marrow bone was very good, fries were extremely tasty, biscuits reminded me that RTCs are basically impossible to beat and the black feather chicken is indeed succulent, moist and everything that chicken should be but so often is not

they've realized their error with the Chimay pricing....its now $11 a bottle which is still pretty reasonable for 750ml....I went with a glass of Acacia pinot instead

I went with a glass of Acacia pinot instead
I had that when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I thought that was a great glass of wine and set out to find a bottle of it. I found it at the Total Wine in Landmark/Lincolnia for (I think) $15.99. I'm looking forward to opening it.

Today, Christmas brunch, was my first trip to the Blue Duck and it won't be my last. Like many on this forum, I was also intriqued by the bratwurst and sauerkraut on the menu. Being from Wisconsin, it's rare to see a good old brat on the east coast. But being from Wisconsin, I also know it's hard for an east coaster to beat a Wisconsin brat. The Blue Duck did it. This was by far the most incredible brat I have tasted. Tender, succulent, perfectly seasoned. It melts in your mouth. Sigggh. I've had brats all over Wisconsin, in Germany, in Denmark. I've brated around. Blue Duck. You beat them all. I'm, as soon as I finish typing, off to make my Restaurant Week reservation for the Blue Duck Tavern. Gotta have another brat.

On another note, I booked this reservation through Open Table and had no idea that the offering for Christmas was an $80 buffet brunch (oysters, shrimp, etc.). While I love to eat, I've never been a fan of the buffet. I just can't eat that much. I politely asked the manager if my party could simply order the items offered on their entree menu for the brunch and be charged for these a la carte, and we were courteously accomodated. I'm a big fan of fine food, but an even bigger fan of fine service. I'll be back.

Has any one had brunch here. We are going New Years day. The say it will be the regular brunch menu. Thanks.

Yes, several times. Nice selection of breakfast-y and lunch-y items, and dessert. Sorry I can't remember the details other than everything we've tried was excellent.

We had a superlative meal here last night. I was really pleasantly surprised to like the space (sorry Tom) and to find the food and service to be first rate.

We mostly sampled things already praised here, and so I only add myself to the chorus of praises for the marrowbone, brats, carrots, the acacia pinot A, and the apple pie. The brats were really out of this world - how does one make brats that melt on your tongue? I was really pleased with the trout as well, so one need not be afraid to vere from the meat & potatoes categories here.

We enjoyed the fries, but I wont order them again. They were interesting, rich, and crispy, but didn't do anything more for me than fries from Bis or Poste do. I guess fries are just fries to me and probably not something I will bother to order when engaged in fine dining.

My only quibble would be that while the pie was one of, if not the, best pies I've had in a restaurant, it would be improved by being served above room temperature.

If you didn't try Blue Duck when it first opened, you should.

We enjoyed the fries, but I wont order them again. They were interesting, rich, and crispy, but didn't do anything more for me than fries from Bis or Poste do. I guess fries are just fries to me and probably not something I will bother to order when engaged in fine dining.

The first time I had those fries they were among the best things I had had all year. Piping hot, almost glistening with duck fat, rich and light, crisp and fluffy at the same time. The second time they weren't as hot and they paled in comparison - heavier, no contrast in textures, greasy.

This morning I find myself thinking about the Blue Duck Tavern - specifically about the "duck" and why is he so "blue"? Lackadaisi and I went to the Blue Duck Tavern for dinner last night and examined the poor "duck's" situation first hand:

Perhaps the duck is "blue" because, although the space of the restaurant is lovely (clean and crisp with a bustling open kitchen, an attractive "open" wine cellar, and a comfortable, columnar lounge area), you couldn't hear yourself think due to all of the noise. Even our waiter had issues taking our order and when you can't hear Lacakadaisi at the table - well, you have a volume problem (sorry sweetheart!) They need some soft, sound-absorbing surfaces - fast!

But maybe the duck is "blue" for other reasons? The serviceable, but un-seasoned flavored pea soup? The marrowbone that was overpowered by its toasted garlic country bread side? The overly-salty Hawaiian Shrimp dish swimming in butter? The duck could find some solace in the heirloom tomato salad (the goat cheese "discs" were nice and the tomatoes were ripe and sweet - and perfectly seasoned) and the sauteed leek sidedish, but as for our dinner last night, that's about it. We had read nice things about the Lamb pot - but were mysteriously steered away from this dish by our waiter (who told us, unsolicited, that he just "would not get the lamb dish or the baked clams". No real menu suggestions, just this lone statement. How can you order the lamb - or clams - after that?)

The service was good, albeit a bit more pretentious than what I would expect to see at a "market style", share-your-dish restaurant. (For me, the formalness of the place just didn't seem to fit with the food). The staff was efficient and attentive, so the duck really shouldn't feel too bad about this. Perhaps they need a little more "tavern" in their tavern?

I really did like the "market style" idea and seeing that tractor-trailer of an oven in the middle of the kitchen was pretty cool. The wine list looked interesting - although it was a bit strange when the waiter told us that the wines on the first couple of pages were 'specially selected by their wine shop'... (Does the Blue Duck have a sommelier? Is the chef ordering the wine? What does this statement mean???)

All in all, I saw a great potential of ingredients in a nice (but acoustically challenged) space. I think the duck is "blue" because it is only "potential" at this point and not reality. It seems a lot of posters found lunch to be quite nice - so perhaps that is the way to go for now - as this hopefully restaurant finds it's groove.

Cheer up, Mr. Duck, we will keep an eye on you and see what happens. But for now, we will continue "hunting" elsewhere...

What a great post, Jlock, and an accurate description of my recent night at Blue Duck as well. The food ranged from bland and unseasoned (the artichoke soup) to average but unmemorable (although the apple pie, that was tasty); the service, too stuffy given the family-style nature of the place; the atmosphere, surprisingly cold (both literally and figuratively). There was nothing particularly bad about my evening there (and the company was fantastic), but nothing would hasten my return either. Except, perhaps, a G+T (from a bottle, not the gun :lol: ) with my favorite G+T companion...

The food ranged from bland and unseasoned (the artichoke soup) to average but unmemorable (although the apple pie, that was tasty); the service, too stuffy given the family-style nature of the place; the atmosphere, surprisingly cold (both literally and figuratively). There was nothing particularly bad about my evening there (and the company was fantastic), but nothing would hasten my return either.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Finally made it to BDT for dinner, (we've been for brunch several times), and we were completely underwhelmed. But I still love the bratwurst. And the apple pie.

What's the deal with Blue Duck's wine list? Prices generally seem to be on the higher side, which is strange given the relative value of some of the dishes on the menu. Or maybe that's not so strange - perhaps they're counting on making their nut from wine sales. The $25 corkage seems like a no-brainer.

According to a trusted source who ate lunch there today, the apple pie is still a winner. He also reported that they've changed a couple of suppliers, and the "meats [charcuterie] plate isn't as good as it used to be... it's still very good, but not stellar."

I concur with jm chen...the apple pie is not to be missed. I've gone several times just for the apple pie. I personally don't think the fries are all they're cracked up to be, so if you're not a huge fry fan don't waste your sides on those.