Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

If eating at the Bar, I remember reading a special bar menu. Can full menu be ordered from the bar or only the bar menu?

I don't want to do a reservation on Wednesday since I don't know what time I will get out of the office but I will be in SS and want to have a good meal. Have there been any issues getting a seat at the bar during the 6-7'ish hour.

It seems to go in waves. I walked in at 6:30 on Saturday to a completely empty bar and within ten minutes of sitting down it was packed but then looked like it cleared out again as we left 45 minutes later. The full menu is not available at the bar. They have a special menu 7-8 apps 3 steak dishes (although you can modify all these to have it diablo style, brandy sauce etc.), the crab royale and a few specials. So far I have stuck to the steaks doing a filet, strip and hanger. The hanger just changed a bit and now comes with a nice little stew of fall vegetables as opposed to the BLT salad it had been served with.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTC as a whole has discernable waves that follow the screen times across the street at AFI. So a wave before 7 for the early showing and then a wave around 8:45-9 as people arrive for the late show and the early show is letting out. I'd give more precise times but need more observations for my sample before I can estimate crowd time and size at a statistically reliable level.

Further to what Blake said, there are some items on the bar menu that aren't on the dining room menu. I remember Michael mentioning that they were getting so many orders for the hanger steak that it's only on the bar menu now. Even still, they're selling out of the hanger steak (happened last Friday night by about 7:30). That alone is a great reason for sitting at the bar, not to mention Nick's great martinis!!

I'd give more precise times but need more observations for my sample before I can estimate crowd time and size at a statistically reliable level.

Anyone else believe that JPW hasn't been here enough for his estimates to be statistically reliable?

I didn't think so.

Anyone else believe that JPW hasn't been here enough for his estimates to be statistically reliable?

I didn't think so.

Not that I don't trust JPW's excellent judgement...but I believe that independent review of his statistics is warranted so that we don't lead our fellow posters astray. I volunteer to make the sacrifice. :)

RTC as a whole has discernable waves that follow the screen times across the street at AFI. So a wave before 7 for the early showing and then a wave around 8:45-9 as people arrive for the late show and the early show is letting out. I'd give more precise times but need more observations for my sample before I can estimate crowd time and size at a statistically reliable level.
Although it's the opposite of your scenario, while we were there, we thought, "Oh, we could hit a movie afterwards." When we left we discovered that the movie we wanted to see was an hour and a half later and abandoned the idea. We could have planned better before hand, but getting the reservation was hard enough. The theatre could certainly be a help to the restaurant in terms of numbers, though I'll leave the numbers to someone else.

I was trying to get some friends to go for our monthly "Restaurant Club" we started up about a year ago. They were afraid it would be too expensive (although we try to enjoy good food, we are on fairly tight budgets) and since I had only been for the DR pre-opening dinner, I did not have a good grasp of the app/entree prices and could not refute their point. Could someone give me an average price? Or maybe, how much are the sausage biscuits? The fried chicken? A side dish? I really want to go back there again, but for some reason SS seems to be difficult to get to for my friends.

And as for that Restaurant Club meal this month that I couldn't talk them into RTC...we're going to Rosa Mexicano. Yup. I'm very excited :)

I am indeed. But I was outvoted 3-1, so suffer I must. Luckily (?) I'm on somewhat of a diet this week, so I may just stick to a simple salad. Can't be that bad can it? :)
Oh yes it can.

I'd bet you could get a nicer meal for less at RTC. Apps are $8, desserts are $5, and the mains are mostly reasonable. Plus the RTC wine list is better than margaritas from a slurpee machine.

I'd bet you could get a nicer meal for less at RTC. Apps are $8, desserts are $5, and the mains are mostly reasonable. Plus the RTC wine list is better than margaritas from a slurpee machine.

Good to know. I will use this in my persuasion of the group :) . They actually all seem interested in trying RTC at some point because we've all eaten at RTS and loved it. Hope to make it sooner than later!

After watching a couple horror movies, nothing hits the spot like the delicious sweetbreads at Ray's the Classics....

Whatever is in that mustard sauce is simply incredible. I might have found my new go-to appetizer selection....but it's a close battle with the figs.

Today we moved from Crystal City to Silver Spring. This was a momentous journey for E and I (me is grammatically correct, but with "E" it sounds strange), signifying the next step into the rest of our lives. If anyone needs a recommendation for movers, by the way, PM me because ours were fantastic.

We managed to move with a minimum of injury, (impressive, since we do little withOUT injury) and spent the balance of the day unpacking. After struggling to hook up the DVD player, we decided to go out to dinner. E had mentioned RTC earlier in the day, but now he felt that he was underdressed with really really bad hat hair, so he didn't think he would enjoy it (not to mention, we were walking in on a Saturday night hoping something was available). Luckily for us, RTC is actually on the way to everything else in downtown from our apartment, so I convinced E to stop in with me and see what might be available.

We got there, and Michael H. was helping out behind the host stand. We asked how likely it was that we could get seated and he told us that there was little chance in the dining room, but if a table opened in the bar, it could be ours. We eyed an empty two-top and started making movements towards it when the couple in front of us mentioned that they would be willing to sit in the bar as well (they must have asked the same question a moment before). I thought this was the end of our night, until Michael L. came around and gave the couple ahead of us the choice of the bar table we saw or the other bar table, on the far side of the front door, looking into the kitchen. They chose the high table, so we took the four-top by the window. We also discussed which Michael was which (since we didn't actually know, having never met either) and whether or not having that discussion was equivalent to being "that guy" who name-drops and fan-boys*.

We started off with the bread and duck schmaltz, which I would have asked for even had I not been encouraged to on this board, because I love the word schmaltz :) . We also got the pickled vegetables, which I only picked at but that E enjoyed. The bread was marvelous, and I do agree with the Washington Post** review that we could eat the bread by itself. Probably an entire loaf in one sitting.

Our waiter was great (Antonio? I think?) and we waited to order wine until we had decided what we wanted. By the time we made it to that point, a great guy (who gave off a sommelier vibe, but I don't know if he was) came over to ask if we had made our drink selections. We ordered a bottle of the 1997 Rioja (unfortunately I couldn't remember anything beyond that) and he seemed very pleased with that. Either he thought we made a good choice, or he was happy to get the bottle off of his hands. We assume the former, since we enjoyed the entire bottle. As the same guy poured our wine, he pointed out that the reds did have a slight chill to them (to touch, really just about cellar temperature, maybe 55-60 degrees? I appreciated that they did it and really thought pointing it out was a nice touch) and poured a tasting into both of our glasses. He also asked if we were following Ray's around, since we pointed out that we had just moved to the neighborhood from Arlington***.

Just before coming out to dinner, we watched "Battle Goat Cheese" on Iron Chef as we unpacked the living room. This was a great goad to our appetites, and definitely influenced our ordering choices. We ordered the figs as the appetizer. E almost cried. They were exactly what we wanted them to be - sweet, slightly salty from the prosciutto, and with a wonderful bite of cheese in the center. The little pile of prosciutto in the center of the dish was a surprise - I don't think I had ever seen a protein garnish before. We could have licked the plate.

Next came our salads - I ordered the waldorf which was great, and E ordered the Caesar. I thought I would win this course until E said, "I hate to do this since there are only two of them, but you HAVE to try this crouton." I wish I knew what they were so I could duplicate them at home - it was such a great touch, not to mention a great crouton!

We had a bit of a delay at this point, which was covered up by wine refills (we actually didn't pour all night - I was amazed, since we were sitting in the bar area) and our discussions, which ranged everywhere from our new apartment to the de-beatification of St. Christopher****. Right as were beginning to notice that we hadn't gotten our food, Michael L. came over and told us that E's dish had been overcooked, so it was re-done. This delay was a huge positive for us - it allowed us to re-gain our appetites before the main course came out. Plus, we have such a wide range of inane topics to talk about that we have barely had a pause in the conversation for the past six years that we have been together.

E ordered the filet with bleu cheese and I ordered the fried chicken. I had a bite without the gravy and my heart melted with happiness. Then I had the gravy and knew that I had made the right choice in ordering. E was making similar noises over the filet, so we exchanged bites. I swear that the filet actually melted in my mouth, and E insisted that the main course was a tie. I have been 4 weeks without smoking, and maximizing tastes like these is in the top ten reasons I chose to quit. Our waiter made a joke about E not liking his dish, since the entire thing was gone rather quickly. I took a little longer because I enjoyed the carrot salad and every last crumb on the plate might have been eaten. We also ordered the spinach, which was at least as great as it was at RTS a few months ago (and that inspired me to start eating spinach again, therefore qualifying as a life-changing experience).

Dessert-cheesecake. I have gushed enough for you to insert your own gushing here. We might have actually licked the plate.

Overall, a great experience, I can't wait to be back (Bar results do come out this Friday - is it presumptuous to make a reservation? would people be there to take it over if we had to cancel? which we won't since we'll be celebrating because passage is going to happen...I'll decide soon enough, but if anyone feels strongly about it let me know :lol: . Michael, since I know you read this, thank you so much for opening this place and giving us another reason to love moving to Silver Spring.

*I recently learned about FANBOYS conjunctions, by the way...not that the conjunctions exist but that acronym works...no particular reason to note this except just as a tribute to dork-dom.

**Fair disclosure: I do work for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions which is a subsidiary of the Washington Post. Combining my two notes, anyone want to teach SAT? :)

***In an odd coincidence, we actually used to live on N. Queens Lane, which if any of you know Colonial Village, would share a backyard with RTS if there was no fence. Despite living less than 500 feet away for a year and a half, we never went, usually because it was not in our price range at that time. We went to RTS for our anniversary this year, but that was the first, and thus far only time visiting. So, in a way, we are actually following them around.

****I stand corrected.

*****I’ve just taken so long to write this review that I’ve missed my extra hour of sleep. After such a great meal, it was completely worth it.

Finally got babysitters, soccer schedules, and reservations to align and made it down the few blocks to Ray's.

A real treat. Thank you, Michael & Co! Now if I could only remember the place you said I could buy hangar/onglet's!

Also, first time in a long time I've been beaten by a restaurant meal. Perhaps it was because I also stole half my wife's plate.

Well done, and much success in the future.

My wife and I celebrated our third anniversary at RTC on Saturday (at the opposite end of the restaurant, it appears, from Joncephine, and seven years after we got our bar results). No need to recount all the gorily delicious details. Suffice it to say that my wife now proclaims it her favorite restaurant in the DC area, and I am happy to have found ground common to both her desire for traditional, "comfort" foods, and my desire to be a little more adventurous.

On the way out, Michael mocked me for not dressing up for an anniversary dinner. I told him that my v-neck sweater and tee-shirt was pretty dressed up for me. I was too flummoxed to give the appropriate response, which would involve the phrase "glass houses."

We had a nice dinner at the bar last night with NCPinDC last night. Michael came out to tease me about the user review I wrote of the restaurant in the WaPo city guide. I called it "four star food at two star prices with one star attitude". What I meant by that was that it was extremely high quality food at moderate prices, but without the snotty attitude. I'm not sure that came across properly. So, if you're reading this Michael, that's the message I was trying to get across! :)

I have been real busy and hadn't had a chance to post anything yet but it was very nice meeting all of you at Ray's last Friday. Beth had a real nice time and said she will stop busting my chops for having "internet chat board friends". She did the same thing with MySpace but now she uses my account all the time to find people and post messages but refuses to start her own account. I think she that is how she rationalizes to herself, as long as she doesn't create an account she can keep her state of denial intact...

A couple of days have gone by without anyone shamelessly kissing Landrum's a** on this board so I figured I better post something quick before the it malfunctions or the world stops turning. Friday was another great time (with a great meal thrown in there somewhere) hanging out at one of the best neighborhood spots in the Metro area. Its funny I feel like we really lucked out in SS. Every neighborhood has their own neighborhood bar/hangout. Cafe deluxe is kind of one for the North Cleveland Park set. Our food is fine but mostly it became a neighborhood spot out of convenience and atmosphere. In other neighborhoods I have had some spots that I went to all the time and put up with crappy bar food just because I like talking with people from the 'hood and hanging out. But now everyone in Silver spring just lucked into some of the best food in the metro area AND a great hangout spot under the same roof. I am extremely happy about this development. All of my friends in Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Logan, and U St. who give me crap about living in SS can eat their hearts out, as soon as they get done choking down that 13 dollar basket of chicken fingers and fries at their neighborhood bar.

I still love Ray's and I am so happy it is in Silver Spring, but I have a question...Is the salad they serve in the bar area smaller then then in the main restaurant? I have eaten in the restaurant and it was a good size. I have twice eaten in the bar area and both times the salads seemed pretty small. Once was part of my steak dinner and the other was a paid side dish (when I just ordered a few aps).

I was also sad to see the sausage biscuit and the amazing chocolate cake was not on the menu the other night, I hope they come back. Everything else was great, don't get me wrong.

I still love Ray's and I am so happy it is in Silver Spring, but I have a question...Is the salad they serve in the bar area smaller then then in the main restaurant? I have eaten in the restaurant and it was a good size. I have twice eaten in the bar area and both times the salads seemed pretty small. Once was part of my steak dinner and the other was a paid side dish (when I just ordered a few aps).

I was also sad to see the sausage biscuit and the amazing chocolate cake was not on the menu the other night, I hope they come back. Everything else was great, don't get me wrong.

Sausage biscuit always there.

Sausage biscuit hidden at bottom of page on menu.

Sausage biscuit not on menu? Carnage ensueth.

You probably just missed it. :)

They are on the menu. They made a new bread section on the menu and moved it from appetizers.

The desserts are rotated frequently. I am sure the chocolate cake will be back.

Opening recently and taking a vacation have nothing to do with each other. A number of restaurants take vacations at some point in the year, and it seems Michael has chosen to do so at this time of year. Michael is known for being very caring towards his staff and he possibly wanted to make certain that his staff had time to visit with their families.

Regardless, I see no reason why they need a reason other than "we're taking a vacation".

Any idea why this restaurant is closing for 10 days over the holidays? I wanted to take my father there while he's visiting but when I called for a reservation I was told the restaurant is closed for vacation Nov. 19th - 28th. Geez, didn't it open relatively recently?
They may have opened in August, but I don't think Landrum has taken any time off in YEARS. I hope this means he will wear his Hawaiian shirts on a beach someplace warm. :)

Any idea why this restaurant is closing for 10 days over the holidays? I wanted to take my father there while he's visiting but when I called for a reservation I was told the restaurant is closed for vacation Nov. 19th - 28th. Geez, didn't it open relatively recently?

Restaurant openings typically involve 80-100 hours a week for month after month with no end in sight. The work required, especially with reviews coming out so unimaginably early, is something that is inconceivable to anyone who has not experienced it first-hand and survived it (many drop out and often careers and reputations are harmed in the process). Therefore, a restaurant having recently opened is even more of a reason for a holiday closure, if for no other reason than to simply have the chance to lick your wounds.

Regardless, I have a tradition of liberal (or illiberal, depending on your point of view) and generous closings around the holidays as a reward to my staff and co-workers. Holidays are typically a terrible, terrible time for workers in the restaurant business, for a host of reasons, and I choose to put them first around the holidays. The restaurant business is often a dehumanizing and demeaning business and the chance for us to be human too during the holidays is an important part of what makes us as a restaurant and us as people who and what we are.

Restaurant openings typically involve 80-100 hours a week for month after month with no end in sight. The work required, especially with reviews coming out so unimaginably early, is something that is inconceivable to anyone who has not experienced it first-hand and survived it (many drop out and often careers and reputations are harmed in the process). Therefore, a restaurant having recently opened is even more of a reason for a holiday closure.

Regardless, I have a tradition of liberal (or illiberal, depending on your point of view) and generous closings around the holidays as a reward to my staff and co-workers. Holidays are typically a terrible, terrible time for workers in the restaurant business, for a host of reasons, and I choose to put them first around the holidays. The restaurant business is often a dehumanizing and demeaning business and the chance for us to be human too during the holidays is an important part of what makes us as a restaurant and us as people who and what we are.

Nice guy that Michael. It does get a small bit depressing every year waiting on people every night and seeing them go off to shows and family get togethers, holiday shopping etc. etc. and knowing that while you are a part of peoples' holiday fun you aren't having much of your own. Just about everyplace I have ever worked at has done holidays with the pick 2 of the 3 to work ultimatum. (Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year) you will definitely get the one you pick off and if you are really lucky and have enough seniority you might get 2 of them off.

Regardless, I have a tradition of liberal (or illiberal, depending on your point of view) and generous closings around the holidays as a reward to my staff and co-workers.

And what a generous reward that is. Good for you, Michael. Makes me glad that I was able to get one of "the last suppers" on Saturday night. :)

So, if I read this correctly, your employees at RTS matter less :)

Enjoy the well deserved break.

The RTS employees haven't had to put up with a restaurant opening (I'm guessing, but don't know for certain, that employees don't go back and forth between the restaurants).

Back to RTC tonight with a Jesuit, a moofie cricket and a Balt Sun reporter. The priest was ecstatic over the crab bisque, the layers of flavor, the subtle but unknown ingredients, ya ya ya. The cricket had the filet, I had the chicken and the other two hangar steaks. Michael came by and explained that the hangar is so called because it hangs over the cow's diaphragm. No complaints about anything, including the 4-cheese macaroni side. Although our reservation was for 6 p.m., when it was time for dessert they were already out of key lime pie. The priest and I had the dark spicy pumpkin pie instead. The cricket and the reporter had root beer floats. It was a first time experience for everybody except me. They were extremely impressed with the mise en scene, the tables, the spacing, the lighting, the windws, the heavy steak knives, the stemware, and all (including me) vowed to return soon.

Back to RTC tonight with a Jesuit, a moofie cricket and a Balt Sun reporter. The priest was ecstatic over the crab bisque, the layers of flavor, the subtle but unknown ingredients, ya ya ya. The cricket had the filet, I had the chicken and the other two hangar steaks. Michael came by and explained that the hangar is so called because it hangs over the cow's diaphragm. No complaints about anything, including the 4-cheese macaroni side. Although our reservation was for 6 p.m., when it was time for dessert they were already out of key lime pie. The priest and I had the dark spicy pumpkin pie instead. The cricket and the reporter had root beer floats. It was a first time experience for everybody except me. They were extremely impressed with the mise en scene, the tables, the spacing, the lighting, the windws, the heavy steak knives, the stemware, and all (including me) vowed to return soon.
:):):lol:

Can you tell I LUV, LUV, Michael Landrum???

No sausage biscuit on the bar menu on Wednesday. I even asked and they said they didn't have it. I assume it will be back...
It's gone for now, and the dessert list has also seen some changes, as pastry chef Leigh Weinfield has moved on. Michael revealed that as they were, the biscuits were a riff on an idea he's been playing with for some time, and that in its next evolution, different elements of the dish will be emphasized.

The sweetbreads, by the way, are incredible, and unlike any way I've previously seen them prepared. The nearest thing I can liken them to, texture-wise at least, are delicately-battered fried oysters. Marvelous!

I've been playing with the meat in the fridge and have come up with some bar-only butcher cut specials to try out tonight. Can't say what they are, but can guarantee many great surprises. Cheap too. And for one lucky guest, there waits a big pile of scraps--the best meat you have ever eaten, I swear.
Oh, FINE!! You couldn't do this yesterday when I was sitting at the bar. Grrrr.....

By the way, I was told that RTC will be closed on the 24th and 25th (Sun and Mon) as usual but WILL be open on Sunday 12/31 (regular hours). No idea what kind of "specials" will be available. Make your reservations now, kids...

Oh, and did I mention many of these specials will be wrapped in bacon and served with bearnaise? And cheap?
I hope all of you who make it up there tonight think of me: poor, dieting, ball-and-chained, stuck in Alexandria, eating a can of meatless minestrone, freezing my back ass off while jogging... has anyone ever read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Match Girl"?

Don't tell me how it was, I don't want to know.

The NY Strip-cut-like-a-filet special I had last night at RTC was tremendous. Also about the thickest steak (maybe 3" thick?) I've ever had. Will likely be one of the best leftovers I've ever had when I get home tonight, too.

And can't get enough of those devilishly good eggs.

I've been playing with the meat in the fridge and have come up with some bar-only butcher cut specials to try out tonight. Can't say what they are, but can guarantee many great surprises. Cheap too. And for one lucky guest, there waits a big pile of scraps--the best meat you have ever eaten, I swear.

Sysco Truck Robbed At Knifepoint

Masked robber flees on Segway

By RIMLEE LIVINGSTON

The Associated Press

Wednesday, December 6, 2006; 3:04 PM

SILVER SPRING, Maryland -- Police are looking for a masked man who held up a Sysco truck today, wielding a butcher knife and making lewd remarks toward the driver. The man reportedly loaded over 100 pounds of beef into a burlap sack, then exposed himself and screamed "Age THIS mothafuckaaaaa!!!!" just before mounting his Segway and gliding away into heavy traffic. CityZens are advised to keep their doors locked and windows shut.