Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

I've been playing with the meat in the fridge and have come up with some bar-only butcher cut specials to try out tonight. Can't say what they are, but can guarantee many great surprises. Cheap too. And for one lucky guest, there waits a big pile of scraps--the best meat you have ever eaten, I swear.
Cheap you say? A bacon-wrapped center of ribeye with bernaise at $6.95 is cheap? OK, if you say so. :P And that big pile of scraps - it was one pound of grilled steak bits for something like $6 (sorry, don't recall the actual price, I think I passed out temporarily - la petite mort). Thank you Michael for taking time from your busy kitchen duties to give my +1 a kitchen tour and for your solid career advice.

[menu note: salads are now a separate charge - most are now $4 and considerably larger than before.]

I hope all of you who make it up there tonight think of me: poor, dieting, ball-and-chained, stuck in Alexandria, eating a can of meatless minestrone, freezing my back ass off while jogging... has anyone ever read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Match Girl"?

Don't tell me how it was, I don't want to know.

hmmm...sounds like the honeymoon is over...

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap you say? A bacon-wrapped center of ribeye with bernaise at $6.95 is cheap? OK, if you say so. :P And that big pile of scraps - it was one pound of grilled steak bits for something like $6 (sorry, don't recall the actual price, I think I passed out temporarily - la petite mort). Thank you Michael for taking time from your busy kitchen duties to give my +1 a kitchen tour and for your solid career advice.

[menu note: salads are now a separate charge - most are now $4 and considerably larger than before.]

hmmm...sounds like the honeymoon is over...

Damn I wish I was seriously debating calling in to work last night. That might be sad but I am not sure. Any other changes to the regular menu since their Thanksgiving break that you noticed?

Does Ray's do lunch on Saturdays? If so, what's on the menu?
Unfortunately, no lunch on any day of the week. :P What the hell am I supposed to do? Actually cook for myself?

Sounds like the "leftover specials" were truly tasty. We ALMOST changed our plans to go to Zaytinya but decided it would be too tough to fit RTC in before the hockey game. Given how the game went, I think I made the wrong decision. More fool me.

Damn I wish I was seriously debating calling in to work last night. That might be sad but I am not sure. Any other changes to the regular menu since their Thanksgiving break that you noticed?
One minor change (other than the salads). The four cheese mac and cheese now gives you a choice on the fourth cheese. I had blue with mine the other day.

One minor change (other than the salads). The four cheese mac and cheese now gives you a choice on the fourth cheese. I had blue with mine the other day.

My husband took me there for my birthday on Tuesday and I will definitely be going back. However, I stupidly decided to order something other than the steak because I thought that if at Ray's the Classics, one should order something other than what you could get at Ray's the Steaks. I got the lobster tail special. It was nice, but I was jealous of the steaks that everyone had around me. The tail was served out of the shell, with a raisin and nut sauce on the side. Intersting, but I thought that it was much too sweet.

But the eggs? Oh god damn the eggs...they were awesome.

My husband had the fried chicken and liked it.

We also had the apple tart and the chocolate mousse for dessert. Both were great.

Whole thing, including cocktails came to 90 bucks without tip. Pretty awesome.

Specials still available tonight, bar only:

Filet-Cut Rib-Eye, 10 Ounces, 16 or 17 bucks--I forget

Twin 5 ounce Bacon Wrapped Filet Cut NY Strip Medallions, 16 or 17

Filet Cut NY Strip, 8 ounces, 17

1 order of scraps, 20 ounces, 6 bucks

1 order of Calette, 8 ounces, 20 bucks

Quantities, space and sanity are limited.

I've been playing with the meat in the fridge and have come up with some bar-only butcher cut specials to try out tonight. Can't say what they are, but can guarantee many great surprises. Cheap too. And for one lucky guest, there waits a big pile of scraps--the best meat you have ever eaten, I swear.
Now I have to listen to Barbara saying "You made me miss my plate of meat scraps!" I thought she was kidding, at first.

Hanger Steak! Hanger Steak! Hanger Steak!

Jake has taught me some bad habits, I may empty out their stock of that gem of an '02 Crozes-Hermitage ($32) all by myself.

My only disappoinment was that the Dogfish 60 minute IPA is no longer on tap.

Jake has taught me some bad habits, I may empty out their stock of that gem of an '02 Crozes-Hermitage ($32) all by myself.
Joe, don't worry. Don't feel like you need to take it on all by yourself; I'll be there to help out. :P

Friday I ordered the hanger steak, caesar salad, and split two of the bar snacks that I hadn't previously tried: baked olives and smoked salmon. The olives are very large and were somewhat overwhelming in flavor. They would match better with a cocktail than the aftermentioned Crozes-Hermitage. I found the salmon flavorful and liked the dab of sauce, but the puff base was flabby. The caesar was very good and the hanger was the hanger, which is to say it was a perfectly cooked, delicious piece of beef.

Dessert was a dark & stormy. Props to Sal behind the bar.

Frustration! I have been trying to make reservations for a family reunion of sorts at RTC since late last month. Each of the three earlier times I called, I was told to call back on another specific date (i.e., "We're not taking reservations for that date yet -- call back on December 1." "We're not taking reservations for that date yet, call back on December 8." "We're not taking reservations for that date yet, call back on December 14."). Well, I call back one day earlier than instructed (who, me? sense of time? nah) and was told that all the times I wanted had already been reserved! Phooey. We ended getting an 8 pm reservation when we wanted a 7 or 7:30 reservation. It may not seem like a big difference to some, but my uncle and aunt have to drive back to Bel Air, MD, afterward, so, yeah, 30 minutes or an hour count.

We're very much looking forward to our dinner still, and this is definitely not the first time this sort of thing has happened (although the first for RTC), so we bear no resentment toward to restaurant (although I am frustrated), so please, no harshing on me. Just, if you were given a date to wait until before calling to make reservations, screw it. Call now.

Update: Ok, never mind! We had to up the number of people (forgot my brother and his wife had moved to DC! Duh!), and they told us flat out that they don't take reservations for that many people on Fridays. Period. So now, two weeks before we're supposed to eat out, I get to try to find another place to take the family. This sucks.

I am finally getting to RTC on Saturday and can't wait! Going with the +1, his brother and sister-in-law and his parents. We are the only "experienced" Ray's fans...the rest are fans in the making. I'm definitely excited to introduce them to some great food!

One question having not been to RTC before and having not seen a mention amongst all the raves about the food...is the general dress similar to RTS or a bit nicer? My father-in-law will probably wear sneakers either way, but thought I'd find out for the rest...

I am finally getting to RTC on Saturday and can't wait! Going with the +1, his brother and sister-in-law and his parents. We are the only "experienced" Ray's fans...the rest are fans in the making. I'm definitely excited to introduce them to some great food!

One question having not been to RTC before and having not seen a mention amongst all the raves about the food...is the general dress similar to RTS or a bit nicer? My father-in-law will probably wear sneakers either way, but thought I'd find out for the rest...

Sneakers would be underdressed. I believe you show respect to both the restaurant and to the others in the dining room by dressing appropriately. This doesn't mean that one has to "dress up." Rather, it just means nice casual.

The last time I was there, I wore sneakers and jeans with torn cuffs. I was treated wonderfully. I think a courteous attitude counts for more than fancy clothes.

I'll try to get more information. I saw the Ask Tom chat on washpost.com and I don't know if that is the same person.

Mike

You know one point on that AskTom post from a waiting standpoint. The number of Martini's ordered to me is irrelevant, behavior is everything. If someone is sitting quietly and not acting drunk or doesn't appear drunk they can order 15 for all I care. But if someone has two and is being obnoxious to other diners and/or appears drunk then they get the boot. For example Andre the Giant used to knock down a liter of vodka on a cross country flight and not even show any signs of being drunk. My friend in college had some kind of blood disorder and used to be an ASS after he drank 2 beers. Also real boozers can always bring flasks anyway (NOT speaking from experience or anything....) and swig in BETWEEN cocktails or before they even come in.

The last time I was there, I wore sneakers and jeans with torn cuffs. I was treated wonderfully. I think a courteous attitude counts for more than fancy clothes.
I have been seated in both sneakers and jeans and suite and tie at different times. I had excellent service regardless of my clothes.

I agree that courteous treatment goes both ways.

I have been seated in both sneakers and jeans and suite and tie at different times.
You're lucky, lately I've been fluctuating between wearing a house or wearing a barn and can only aspire to wearing a suite. :P

I am usually at RTC directly from work so "biz-wear" during the week. On weekends I try to respect Michael's vision for his restaurant by making an effort (not always dry-clean-only) to "dress for dinner." Michael's staff is professional and treats everyone well - doubly so if you're a semi-regular.

Maybe the steak looked like a big hunk of chewed bubble gum? Was it pink like that?

The term "inedible" is vague since each person has their own standards, but more important to me would be how people perceived (or maybe actually experienced) rudeness. To balance this poster's experience out, I'll share my lone RTC experience.

I was one of those impatient people wanting Michael to open RTC earlier than he did b/c I wanted a decent place in Silver Spring to have my rehearsal dinner in June. When Sietsama posted in his chat that RTC was finally opening, I was one of those quick dialers and landed a reservation for that Saturday. Our experience made me glad that Michael waited to open until he got it right.

We all loved the food and were treated very differently than this poster despite similar circumstances. I ordered a NY strip medium rare, but when it came it was way too rare for me. I promptly notified the waiter and he said they would cook it longer--no problem. About two minutes later Michael Landrum came over to me himself and said, "I'm glad you sent that piece of meat back because I'm still trying to train our staff to what is an acceptable cut of meat. We do our own butchering here and that cut you received was not acceptable. I picked out a completely new piece of meat and I think you'll see a difference."

Remember, I had no problem with the CUT of meat; I just wanted it cooked longer! Well, in less than 5 minutes Michael came back again with another beautiful piece of meat and said, "Cut into that and I'm sure you'll be more satisfied." Amazingly, the meat was actually noticeably better--but still too rare. After I cut in, I just sheepishly raised my eyes to Michael's and he got the hint.

"Still too rare, isn't it?" he said. Feeling bad but still wanting it cooked to how I wanted, I knodded and he took the meat again, came back in two minutes with a piece of meat that had obvious grill marks. I cut in: perfect.

I learned that I'm a "medium" guy at RTC. No problem. I really didn't expect anything from this, but Michael ended up comping desserts for all 4 of us! Crazy. Now, maybe he was being especially nice because they just opened and maybe he was just looking for more feedback on his desserts, but he won us all over. And let me tell you, boy am I glad I got to try that Peach (now apple) charlotte. Next time I'm in Silver Spring I plan to stop in just for that dessert.

I hope others continue to receive the same hospitality that I received.

pax,

Brian

We all loved the food and were treated very differently than this poster despite similar circumstances. I ordered a NY strip medium rare, but when it came it was way too rare for me. I promptly notified the waiter and he said they would cook it longer--no problem. About two minutes later Michael Landrum came over to me himself and said, "I'm glad you sent that piece of meat back because I'm still trying to train our staff to what is an acceptable cut of meat. We do our own butchering here and that cut you received was not acceptable. I picked out a completely new piece of meat and I think you'll see a difference."

Remember, I had no problem with the CUT of meat; I just wanted it cooked longer! Well, in less than 5 minutes Michael came back again with another beautiful piece of meat and said, "Cut into that and I'm sure you'll be more satisfied." Amazingly, the meat was actually noticeably better--but still too rare. After I cut in, I just sheepishly raised my eyes to Michael's and he got the hint.

"Still too rare, isn't it?" he said. Feeling bad but still wanting it cooked to how I wanted, I knodded and he took the meat again, came back in two minutes with a piece of meat that had obvious grill marks. I cut in: perfect.

Brian, I am one of those "used to be sorry-assed" people who liked meat "well-done." :P I've since been taught better. But, I really don't like rare steaks (or raw fish, for that matter), and have learned to ask for "medium" at Michael's places and a few other places that really, really care about serving very good steaks. "Medium Rare" at said places turns out to be too rare for me, but "medium" usually hits the spot.

We had dinner at RTC on Saturday night.

I think RTC is going to be first dining out experience after WhatItsName is born, simply because while I can have an amazing meal there with the current diet restrictions that come from pregnancy, I am also looking wildly at every other table that is enjoying stuff that is off the list for the next few months. I haven't even looked at the wine list since it opened!

We are enjoying seeing how RTC evolves from opening to smoothly operating joint. Saturday felt like there was a slight move to make it more uniform with RTS--the spiced cashews are on the table and the amazing rosemary foccacia was served to start. The milk chocolate mousse is also making an appearence (alas, raw eggs...) I was able to watch the staff do their serving dance and they have gotten quite smooth.

We both had the fried chicken--I think it is more user friendly than before. Two pieces instead of one really big piece and not quite as heavily fried; very juicy and flavorful. Very yum. We shared spinach and mashed potatoes.

Mr. BLB also had the caesar salad and key lime pie.

It was a lovely evening and I look forward to going back--soon and again later when I can go wild!

Has the day of the bar snack passed? We ate at the bar on Saturday night and got the regular menu, and the news that the menu is now the same between one room and the other. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

Awesome cashews, especially with an apple Manhattan. $8 seems fair for a fancy drink compared to what some other folks around the area are charging. Stellar work from the folks behind the bar, who were all quite charming.

Has the day of the bar snack passed? We ate at the bar on Saturday night and got the regular menu, and the news that the menu is now the same between one room and the other. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

Awesome cashews, especially with an apple Manhattan. $8 seems fair for a fancy drink compared to what some other folks around the area are charging. Stellar work from the folks behind the bar, who were all quite charming.

Whoa wait a minute, were you presented the regular menu at the bar? Is this policy now or just a mixup? Very interested....

Would anyone like to take a stab at what is contained in the spice mixture? These are so perfect for cocktails that I'd like to attempt to recreate them at home.

Would anyone like to take a stab at what is contained in the spice mixture? These are so perfect for cocktails that I'd like to attempt to recreate them at home.

You might be able to purchase them somewhere. I don't think they make those in house. And I believe one of the varieties (I have seen two) contain duckfat.

I would love to know how to make or procure these, as well. I found a recipe on DCist for "Ray's Spicy Cashews," but the end result wasn't even remotely similar to the real thing.

I would love to know how to make or procure these, as well. I found a recipe on DCist for "Ray's Spicy Cashews," but the end result wasn't even remotely similar to the real thing.
For the curious, here's the DCist link. Even if this IS the actual spice mixture used at Ray's, it is unlikely you'll be able to get similarly titillating results at home. A dish is more the result of equipment, ingredients, technique, and experience than a recipe. What kind of oil do the Ray'ses use? How hot? How long? How finely should the spices be powdered? Smoked paprika? Hungarian?

Just look at how long the Palena chicken thread is, or think about how SIMPLE most bread recipes are, versus the great variation that different bakers can produce with such similar recipes.

Who wouldn't want to see Michael's shining face beaming at you from a cardboard cylinder in the nuts aisle at the supermarket?

I will take a stab. I'm speculating that he uses the same spice mixture that he uses for his diablo steak sauce and blackened scallops.
I have always guessed this to be so. The secret on the cashews is out, though.

rtngl1.png

Seriously, these would fly off the shelves.

Aherm, apologies to Mr. Landrum... putting someone's head on the Planter's peanut is the SINCEREST form of flattery, next to imitation. And Ray's CANNOT be imitated! ...as all you cashew experimenters have found.

Does anyone know if the sausage biscuits will be coming back, or is that recipe gone with the pastry chef?
That's an interesting question. I had always simply assumed that the pastry chef in any restaurant worked exclusively on desserts (although I recognize that baked items come in both sweet and savoury). I had never made the connection that the sausage biscuits might be the brain child of the pastry chef. Anybody who knows more than me about the role of pastry chef care to comment?

Based on what the bar staff said Saturday, my impression is that they are gone, along with the olives. But I might be mistaken.
:P Now, this is something to be upset about. Those and the biscuits at Circle Bistro were the bread standouts for my eating year 2006. I love all kinds of bread.

sniff

Speaking of info about RTC, I got the chance to go on Sat with the fam. Dress wasn't an issue - thanks to all who offered advice! I normally fill up completely on steak and sides at RTS so it was a treat to finally try the lobster bisque. It didn't disappoint! Another first time treat was the mac & cheese. We had the mozzarella version and I get hungry just thinking about it. The rest of the meal was good as always. My +1 loved his strip steak, my father-in-law blissed out on the filet and others sampled the salmon and eggplant. They seemed pretty happy with it, though I'm still at the point where if I'm at a Ray's, I can't imagine not wanting steak. Hoping to get past that soon though to try out the fried chicken!

The hot chocolate was the perfect end to the meal...I definitely want to get back there soon!

Does anyone know if the sausage biscuits will be coming back, or is that recipe gone with the pastry chef?
I asked as soon as I heard she left and since I had not heard I will ask again - Does anyone know where she went? If you do not want to post publicly please pm me.

Does this make me a food stalker?

I asked as soon as I heard she left and since I had not heard I will ask again - Does anyone know where she went? If you do not want to post publicly please pm me.

Does this make me a food stalker?

Yes, yes it does. But that's ok. :P

I believe there's a mention upthread about the biscuits being a concept that Michael was experimenting with and that he wants to develop further. I don't think we've seen the last of them.

Can anyone confirm the rumor mentioned upthread about the dining room menu and bar menu being the same now?

Yes. Ol' Ironstomach, xcanuk, JPW and I were in last night after McGinty's. The menu is the same for bar and restaurant, though Michael L. hinted that he's considering some specials that would be available in the bar space only.

Not only are the menus the same, but there are several new cuts of meat added to the steaks portion. I will be going back on Friday to partake. Yummy yummy yummy.

Great conversation with Michael last night. Got alot of insight into his vision for RTC. We are very lucky to have him in our backyard.

Went back last night to try the new "butcher's cuts". Lisa had the picahna (modestly priced arond $18) and I had the callette (around $27). Both were insanely good. The picahna is a Brazilian cut that, according to Wikipedia, is another term for "rump cover" and is part of the top sirloin in North American cuts. It's got an intense taste and slightly chewy and dense texture.

My callette had my eyes rolling from the first bite. It was tender beyond belief. Unlike most tender cuts (like filet), the beef flavour was incredible and there was a substantial amount of juice. The interesting thing to me was that the meat fibres didn't look at all like what you would expect from such tender cut. While I'm no expert on these things and will defer on this, it seemed liked the meat fibres had a structure similar to what you see in skirt steak. I'm guessing this has something to do with the unique way that it's cut. The callette was well and simply seasoned with ample amounts of salt. I gave bites to others seated around us at the bar and all agreed it was phenomenal.

Michael later came out and gave us a crash course in beef anatomy and where the new cuts are derived from. He actually brought out a few large pieces of meat and demonstrated how he cuts them to get his new butcher's cuts. So know we know what he meant by "playing in the meat fridge".

I liked the focaccia and olive oil that is now being served instead of bread and spread. Sadly the chicken liver spread and baked olives (sorry Crackers!) are no longer on the starter menu and it appears that the puff pastry has been removed from the smoked salmon appetizer. Seared scallops are now an option on the starter menu. We enjoyed a new side - roasted cauliflower with raisin tapenade. It was pretty much half a head of cauliflower topped with a sweet (but not cloyingly so) raisin coating. The cauliflower itself was properly cooked (as in NOT cooked to mush) and served as a good vehicle for the flavour of the tapinade. Oh, and grilled red onions are now a side option, too. I have to admit that I thought they'd be sweeter. I'd strongly recommend them in combination with the mashed potatoes, though.

And, in a historical first, I didn't order any dessert and didn't even touch Lisa's key lime pie (well....OK...I might have grabbed a crumb or two of crust, but that's it!).

Thanks to the fine company at the bar and the staff at RTC. That's the last meal I'll have made for me before the holidays begin. Time for some self-imposed imprisonment in our kitchen as I prep for the holiday meal.

My callette had my eyes rolling from the first bite. It was tender beyond belief. Unlike most tender cuts (like filet), the beef flavour was incredible and there was a substantial amount of juice. The interesting thing to me was that the meat fibres didn't look at all like what you would expect from such tender cut. While I'm no expert on these things and will defer on this, it seemed liked the meat fibres had a structure similar to what you see in skirt steak. I'm guessing this has something to do with the unique way that it's cut. The callette was well and simply seasoned with ample amounts of salt. I gave bites to others seated around us at the bar and all agreed it was phenomenal.
I had a bite of xcanuck's callette last night. This bite of meat put the biggest smile on my face. Tender and full of flavor like nothing else. Not that my hangar steak which was ordered without really looking at the menu was any slouch either. When you go in look over the new additions. I will have to stop in next week just for one of these cuts.

The starters have been changed a little with some of our old friends gone. I was really disapponted to see the chopped liver off menu. Hopefully this will be back. There is a new side of grilled red onions. I did not get to taste these, but they were ordered by Lisa and they seemed to be perfect company for the steaks.