Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried Ray's The Classic since Michael H. departed? I really liked the food and atmosphere but I'm wondering how the food is with the change in the kitchen.

We were there 01/06 and everything was great. This was for a 6:30 reservation with a packed bar (we ate in the dinning room).

I was there the night of the supposed staff walkout a couple of weeks ago. I know at least one server left during dinner service (ours), but I didn't see any mass walkout, and it didn't affect our meal in the least (others stepped in.)

We had a great meal and great service, as always.

Now we know why the server left. Shame on you DanielK.

I was there the night of the supposed staff walkout a couple of weeks ago. I know at least one server left during dinner service (ours), but I didn't see any mass walkout, and it didn't affect our meal in the least (others stepped in.)

We had a great meal and great service, as always.

Has anyone tried Ray's The Classic since Michael H. departed? I really liked the food and atmosphere but I'm wondering how the food is with the change in the kitchen. BTW, they make the district's best Manhattan.

Thanks...

FWIW...while the quality of the food hasn't suffered, the selection has. I emphasize that I do NOT know if this is in any way related to the departure of ANY staff member. In fact I doubt it. But the number of starters seems to have dwindled down to half of what was originally offered. To be fair, the selection of entrees (especially steaks) seems to have increased.

But damn...I miss the biscuits, the baked olives, the shrimp baklava, the spreads (esp the chicken liver) and the figs. My wife still gets teary eyed when she remembers the figs. We used to make entire meals at the bar just out of the starters. To be honest, it's one of the reasons we don't go there as often - it was great to just pop in on a whim and have three or four starters with some wine. Now we only go if we know we have time/appetite for an entree.

FWIW...while the quality of the food hasn't suffered, the selection has. I emphasize that I do NOT know if this is in any way related to the departure of ANY staff member. In fact I doubt it. But the number of starters seems to have dwindled down to half of what was originally offered. To be fair, the selection of entrees (especially steaks) seems to have increased.

But damn...I miss the biscuits, the baked olives, the shrimp baklava, the spreads (esp the chicken liver) and the figs. My wife still gets teary eyed when she remembers the figs. We used to make entire meals at the bar just out of the starters. To be honest, it's one of the reasons we don't go there as often - it was great to just pop in on a whim and have three or four starters with some wine. Now we only go if we know we have time/appetite for an entree.

I definitely agree. I used to love those figs, and the biscuits. It was nice to grab a few of those plates before a movie when you didn't want to have a stomachful of steak and haul leftovers with you. I will miss chatting with Sal also. I was going to pop by last night for a one last drink but I didn't get out of work in time. I guess I will just have to roll down to Cityzen sometime.

The coconut cake was good but I'd suggest using flaked coconut, and putting the pineapple sauce under the cake.

I don't know what it was like before, but tonight the beautifully moist cake was top center, the hidden sauce a perfect supporting player, and the perfectly not-overly-sweet frosting barely able to maintain its grip on the generous storm of broad shavings of very fresh, likely hand-shaved coconut.

And no wonder. A little note on the latest dessert menu reveals what has been going on for the last several weeks. Several of the desserts are still made by RTC's kitchen staff, but the cakes are now baked daily by Krishna Brown of ShoeBox Oven. We all win!

Now, about those biscuits... :lol:

Not usually a fan of coconut cake as I find the coconut typically overwhelms all other flavors. The taste that ol Ironstomach provided me from his ridiculously massive piece last night was a revelation as to what coconut cake SHOULD be (at least to my mind). The coconut was the string section rather than percussion.

First taste of the onion soup last night. A spectacular broth. Really. Meaty, rather than overly-sweet-bad-sherry-tasting like most onion soup broths are. Try a cup and you'll see.

Drew a picture of the calette for xcanuck. I expect first dibs when he gets some. I'll bring the wine. :lol:

We stopped in for a quick bite before an early movie yesterday for the first time since RTC's opening weekend and found exactly what xcanuck describes above. Sitting at the bar this time helped us discover the chewable crack they call nuts that everyone deservedly raves about and sampled the wonderfully crunchy and chewy rosemary bread that wasn't there last time we made it in. Looking over the menu, however, I was disappointed by the appetizer deletions since that was our intention last night. I was heartbroken to see that my beloved Peach Charlotte disappeared with the original pastry chef. Price ranges for the appetizers also have trended up, but I could never believe that the starting point was originally $3 for excellent cooking anyway. It's so pathetic that I had a slight panging for the "Days of Yore"--all of 6 months ago! But in all reality, that's unfair to the restaurant for me not to expect such changes to happen. Xcanuck is exactly right on RTC's evolution: less appetizers, more entrees, and--most importantly--still great cooking, but also slightly more expensive prices, no salad included with entrees, and different desserts (which we didn't try). The important thing is that we enjoyed what we did eat last night, enjoyed the service, and enjoyed that RTC is improving life in Silver Spring. We'll be back, and hopefully sooner this time.

On a side note, my wife was jazzed about the sign for the opening of the Birchmere next door to RTC. Anyone know other details about its opening and whether they plan to have the same/similar acts to who play in Virginia?

Pax,

Brian

Menu update: wild boar and rack of venison added to the entrees. Lisa had the venison last night and wouldn't share so I guess it's pretty good. :o I'm not sure who I blame for my hangover, though....gotta get back into training.

As usual, a great meal and fantastic service. We even sat at the adult's table. I'm a big boy now!

Trekking out to RTC for the first time tonight, and from the sounds of it the chicken is a must, as is the calette (although it sounds like it will be gone by 8 when my reservation is). Any new appetizers/sides that I should be trying?

Trekking out to RTC for the first time tonight, and from the sounds of it the chicken is a must, as is the calette (although it sounds like it will be gone by 8 when my reservation is). Any new appetizers/sides that I should be trying?
Lisa had the venison last week and absolutely raved over it. And if you can't get the calette, go for the hanger. You won't be disappointed.

The can't miss appetizers are the "devilled" eggs and the sweetbreads, IMHO. Your mileage may vary. I love RTC's mashed potatoes, though it might be redundant since many of the steak entrees come with potatoes topped with a ragu. The roasted cauliflower with raisin tapinade is a bit off the beaten path, which I appreciate. I think it's quite versatile and goes with pretty much all the entrees.

Enjoy your meals there. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Sigh. I am always the contrary one... I tried the fried chicken the last time and didn't care for it. YMMV, as they say on the internets. And I prefer the mashed potatoes without the ragu. The standout sides IMO are the gratin, and the creamy (not creamed) spinach. The hanger steak is nearly always perfect.

The can't miss appetizers are the "devilled" eggs and the sweetbreads, IMHO. Your mileage may vary. I love RTC's mashed potatoes, though it might be redundant since many of the steak entrees come with potatoes topped with a ragu. The roasted cauliflower with raisin tapinade is a bit off the beaten path, which I appreciate. I think it's quite versatile and goes with pretty much all the entrees.

Enjoy your meals there. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

For potato go with the potatoes au gratin. The flavor is heads above the mashed. I used to get the mashed until Michael suggested I try the au gratin instead. As usual he was correct.

For potato go with the potatoes au gratin. The flavor is heads above the mashed. I used to get the mashed until Michael suggested I try the au gratin instead. As usual he was correct.
Agreed, and the quality of cheese used in it is excellent. Also go for the mac and cheese. And the defibrillator and cheese.

Went to Ray's last night with friends who had never been.

As usual, the food was great. The service, well, not so great. We had a pretty early reservation and we figured they would want to flip the table, but the courses were pretty dragged out. At first we didn't notice it, but by the time our last course didn't arrive, we finally started to wonder what was up. The waiter was never the one bringing the food. He kept checking on us, but even he noticed that things were not arriving. By the time he had checked twice to see if we had gotten our Coconut cake and saw us still waiting he finally went and got us a piece and said it was on the house. We did appreciate it, but I was surprised at how long the dinner was (almost three hours).

My friends and I enjoyed the time catching up, but I am dismayed that their first time was not a little better. We all enjoyed the food itself, but I did wonder what was going on with the service. When we left we saw people waiting for tables, and I am sure somebody was happy that we finally got our cake and eventually vacated our table. Also... I do miss the chopped liver spread and the sausage biscuits, I hope they come back.

Loved the experience last night, although I was terribly disappointed to hear that the chicken was no longer available (after Michael explained to us the reason, however, it made sense).

We started with the deviled eggs (thanks for that recommendation, canuck, they were great) and the lentil soup, which was the best soup I have had in a while. It was heavy like everyone has said, but had great flavor and the perfect meat to compliment the consistency of the lentils.

I had the venison and the little lady had the prawns diablo, which was outstanding. I liked the venison, it was cooked perfectly, but I'm not sure I would ever order it again as I thought the flavor was a little bland as compared to past cuts I have had. It also could be that I have been spoiled by my past experiences at RTS, which has the best red meat I have ever had, so having something that was just "good" was a bit (unfairly) disappointing.

We had the au gratin and mac and cheese for sides (I asked our waiter if angioplasties were available as well, but I don't think he got it). The au gratin was exceptional, perfectly cooked and great choice of cheese. The mac and cheese was just pretty good, I think it was a little soupy and maybe had one or too cheeses too many. I would have been happy with just gruyere rather than all 4, but that's just my opinion.

Dessert was very good, the chocolate cake was moist and the right touch to end the meal.

The thing I was most impressed with at RTC, though, was "Ray" himself. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the maniacal looking, blood-smeared-smock-wearing version of Michael when he was at RTS exclusively a while back, but I really enjoyed the suit and social polish that he appears to now have (his new PR person must be great :o ). He worked the room quite well last night, stopping by everywhere to talk and popped over to our table twice to see how everything is going. Things appear to be going very well, which was nice to see.

Zah? Not available as in last night or not available as in ever again?

To listen to Michael explain why it was gone it sounded like it would probably never be back. He told me that it had gotten so much hype that it was becoming a bit of a burden on the kitchen to try to fry that much chicken in a night. He did not explicitly say that it would not be back, so I'm not sure, but one would think that it probably will not be back (at least for the near future).

Huh??? It's so popular that they won't make it anymore? Scratch-Head.gif

What Michael explained is pretty much what Heather said above. The kitchen at RTC was designed and staffed to grill steaks, not fry chicken the way that he wants it to be done.

I suspect that they have more than one skillet at RTC and could fry more than one batch at any given time.

More than one batch simultaneously, sure. But what about 10 batches? 20? more? If that single menu item was causing huge kitchen backups due to the labor-intensive nature of it's preparation, and it was a very popular item, I can see how taking it off the menu becomes the best solution.

Can't they take the space next door? Ray's the Chicken!
Mr. Landrum didn't want me to say anything but he's planning on teaming up with the good folks at the Birchmere next door. He'll use their kitchen space for frying chicken, as long as he does catering for bands with more demanding contract riders!

:o

I suspect that they have more than one skillet at RTC and could fry more than one batch at any given time.

Um, how much stove top space do you think he has back there? I personally enjoy seeing restaurants change things up, even it if means that items that I love are no longer available.

Another trip to Ray's last night, and the incredibly-shrinking menu has struck again. The insanely amazing New England clam chowder was off the menu (and, as a Boston girl, I generally hate all clam chowder made more than 25 miles from my parents' house, so I'm a tough act to please), as were the crabcakes, another favorite. We made due with a weird-ass meal of four bowls of soup, one order of scallops, and three sides. Oh, and a slice of key lime pie.

The bar service was once again fantastic (Nick was at the top of his game, despite the fact that all four of us ordered our wine at separate times, each one of us wanting to try the vintage first), and the food that was on the menu, crazy-good. The best part was running into Michael -- who gave me his now-familiar "girl, you always smile at me, should I know you?" look, which I attribute to the fact that I am only memorable when I'm with my 6'4 husband, which I wasn't last night.

Another trip to Ray's last night, and the incredibly-shrinking menu has struck again.
I was at Ray's last night too, and I ate in the dining room for the first time in awhile. I brought my daughter with me who had never been to Ray's before last night (she is 7). They did not have any callete last night, so we go the coulotte cut (Just a small step down), but still not a callete. My daughter decided that this was "The best steak she has ever had". I did promise to take her back when they had callette's.

She also thought that the hot chocolate she had on the way out was "The best ever".

Michael - My daughter thought you were "really cool" - Now you know you have made it when you are a star with the under ten set.

Thank You for the hospitality.

Huh??? It's so popular that they won't make it anymore? Scratch-Head.gif

I can relate. We used to have fried chicken with collard greens on the menu every night at Colorado Kitchen And yes it was so popular we had to take it off the menu. I had the prep cook doing nothing but wash and cut collard greens that take about three hours total preparation. Then I spent the morning and much of the afternoon cutting and marinating three cases of chicken just so we could run out of it by 8pm every night. There were so many furious customers in the dining room that htought nothing of coming up to me and telling me how disappointed they were as they grabbed their hats and stormed out. Meanwhile, I had plenty of yummy fish and a great, lovingly prepared meatloaf that was spoiling because everyone just wanted the fried chicken. We were al exhausted just trying to keep up. And all of the people that didn't want chicken? Well we had no time to keep up the quality of the other food. The fried chicken had to go. I serve it occasionally as a special. But yes. A very popular item can bring a kitchen down.

as Ray's The Classics continues its inevitable post-Hartzer contraction towards something akin to an upscale Ray’s The Steaks II

I have to object to this comment as glib and uninformed.

Ray's The Classics offers 9 cuts of prime steaks prepared in 15 different presentations, with nearly unlimited options for customization, PLUS boar, venison, veal, lamb, three seafood items and a stand out vegetarian plate (that is 8 entrees IN ADDITION to steaks, when many restaurants only offer 6-8 in the first place). Add to that a selection of twelve starters and eight different side dishes and I am quite proud of the increase in breadth and depth that the menu has undergone since December, and am quite confident in the fact that Ray's The Classics has established a distinct, recognizable, and beginning-to be-justifiably-proud-but-not-quite-there-yet identity and culture of excellence.

The only thing that is inevitable in any of my restaurants is that they continue grow to serve the community in which they are located and for whom they were built to serve in better and stronger ways and that I will be there to do the work, as a restaurant professional, and as a business owner responsible (as an individual, not as a corporation--I for one do not make that distinction) for the livelihoods of many hard working individuals.

By the way, we will be open for lunch starting tomorrow, Tue-Friday starting at 12. I will be on the grill lunch and dinner.
Will the lunch menu be different from the dinner menu? Any chance for a sneak peak?

I guess I know where I'm going at noon tomorrow....

By the way, we will be open for lunch starting tomorrow, Tue-Friday starting at 12. I will be on the grill lunch and dinner.
Well, I'll be.

I just happen to have an eye appointment up the street tomorrow around lunch time. :o

You may also wish to post your reponse on WETA to cover both bases.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Nah, those hippies over there are too busy smoking their banana peel to parse out why "...as Ray's The Classics continues to evolve..." or "...as Ray's The Classics continues its inevitable shift..." are accurate and respectful phrasings and why "...inevitable contraction..." is neither. Or to care.

Hmm...maybe I should get me some of that banana peel.

Gee that doesn't sound like an "inevitable contraction" to me... :o I'll stop by tomorrow and post a full menu report.

(Michael, banana peel is a gateway drug. Don't do it!)