Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

Has anyone heard if they are actually going to be open for lunch at some point? That would be bad.... very very bad now that I am in walking distance and usually bored and hungry on Saturday afternoons.

The bartender mentioned that lunch is 'in the cards' but not in the imminent future. Which, I guess, means pretty much anything you want it to.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with the veal chop. As wonderful as the fried chicken is here, it is in the end fried chicken. The veal dish is far more unique, and I think more deserving of a first experience at Classics.

Next time you can get the chicken. Because if you come here once, there WILL be a next time.

There will definitely be a next time. I got the veal chop and convinced my sister to get the fried chicken. The veal was moist and tender but the chicken was out of this world! My aunt and grandmother got the chateaubriand for two. Po-Po could not stop putting the bearnaise sauce on everything she ate.

The biscuits were also as great as advertised. My only minor quibble is that the andouille should be just a bit spicier. As for dessert, we got the apple charlotte and the chocolate layer cake. I am not a fan of cooked apples (bad experience as a kid), but tried the other part. Best. Crust. Ever. Hopefully the peach charlotte will return soon so I can have the entire thing.

Just as importantly, the service was probably the best we've had anywhere. Can't wait to return.

My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary at RTC specifically because of the fried chicken. (More accurately, specifically because of the rave reviews of the fried chicken; we haven't been to RTC yet.) She drools at the thought of any fried chicken. These reviews make her jaw literally unhinge and detach from her head.

Quite surprised that he didn't like the veal chop. Puzzled in fact. To me, that's the best entree at RTC.

I also found the decor comments puzzling. If you want to look around, don't sit in a booth -- anywhere.

But then again, we all know where my prejudices lay on this matter. :)

It's interesting the Sietsema had the same experience with the pork chops as I had last week - except that I did order them MR and got them MW. And, like Sietsema, I couldn't have cared less. Sure, they were a little more done than I wanted but by God!! they were delicious. I told the bartender not to worry about them - I loved them regardless. But classy folks that they are, they comp'd me my entree and well as both our desserts. That kind of attitude results in devotion.

DLB is correct - it'll be tough as nails to get in there for the next few months. Guess I'll be stuck at the bar for the next little while.

That really does read like a 3 star review, I can't believe Tom did not like the Veal Chop. Get your reservations now, after this hits the masses on Sunday it's going to be hard to get in.

"if you don't mind being patient as the fledgling restaurant works out its kinks"

"On each of my visits to Ray's the Classics, I overheard groupies from Arlington, who account for about half the diners on any given night, telling him how far they'd driven or how much they like his original restaurant."

"three star lunch"

I have not been to Ray's yet but I find it interesting that he received the same rating as Black's, and for many of the same reasons. At Black's I've also experienced some of the same criticism which Tom had. Several times. I think the bottom line for both restaurants is that they are future three star restaurants given their ability to work out their respective kinks.

My real concern for his review is not his opinions but his observation that "half the diners on any given night" are not from Montgomery County. Perceptive and a warning of sorts that for the enduring success Silver Spring must embrace Ray's with the same passion that this board does. Perhaps the exposure and rating from Tom will help accomplish this. I also believe that Silver Spring (where I grew up and lived for 40 years) needs Ray's badly. Its visible success can be a magnet to bring other restauranteurs and continue the growth that the Discovery Channel and the Silver Theatre spawned. But the redevelopment started in the '70's and it took literally decades. Silver Spring's "rebirth" (once the second largest city in Maryland with three downtown department stores) has not been easy, certainly nothing like Bethesda, Ballston or Clarendon. Ray's is an essential part of this. I wish Michael and my hometown well.

Nice props for Hartzer.
I was glad to see that Leigh got a nod too.

It's going to be a rough Friday/Saturday dinner service this weekend. Like us, many folks read the Post on-line and the color section of the paper hits my driveway on Saturday AM.

Probably won't be able to walk-in for a while and even space at Yi Wah's bar will be tight.

After reading and drooling over all the posts and recommendations made by everyone the last few weeks, I finally made it up to RTC on Tuesday night, with five partners-in-crime.

We started off with an order of the now-famous sausage biscuits. Warm, moist, and unfortunately, gone too quickly. But, had to save room for everything else!

I originally had the good intention of trying the non-RTS entrees, but succumbed to temptation with the filet, diablo-style, topped with all those delicious garlic slivers. Good thing I brought friends from whom I could steal bites of the crab royale (mmm…) and fried chicken (mmm, again…). :) For sides, we had the crispy spaetzle, asparagus, and the garlic mashed potatoes from RTS, which Michael kindly offered to let us order when he walked by and overheard us discussing them enthusiastically. (Hope we didn’t cause too much trouble for the kitchen!)

Finally, for dessert, we shared the chocolate cake, the cheesecake, and the apple charlotte—all delicious, but I think the charlotte managed to eke out the title of table favorite.

The waitstaff was very attentive and did a wonderful job the entire evening. Our waiter, whose name I'm at a loss for, was particularly helpful with our group’s many questions and general indecisiveness. To top it all off, Michael also very generously comped our desserts. Thanks to RTC for a lovely evening!

As one of butternut's partners in crime (butternut- congrats on your long-awaited first post :) ), I have to add to the heaps of praise already bestowed upon RTC.

At first it was weird seeing Michael all gussied up with the coat and tie and I was afraid that the food here might not have the same hearty, straight-forward goodness I always enjoyed at RTS but as soon as I bit into those biscuits all doubts were cast aside. I'm thinking Tom got a bad batch because we had two Atlanta girls at the table and those biscuits disappeared moments after hitting the table.

I can't wait to go back and explore more of the menu. So glad we got in there before the review came out!

Let me be the first to offer Michael and Michael congratulations on a stellar review in the Washington Post. 2 1/2 stars after being open such a short time is an achievement. Bravo Michaels.

Yes, but the careful reader will note a blaring factual error in the review. The devilishly good eggs are not a Hartzer creation, but a Landrum original.

Sietsema gives two-and-a-half stars, but:

So the difference is in the decor and service? Seems odd to me.

I don't know what kind of desk Sietsema sits at, but at my desk the decor is truly awful. And the service is even worse.

I feel fortunate that I made a reservation for our anniversary dinner before this review came out. However, I will probably obsessively and compulsively call to confirm it until the day arrives. (Three weeks to go. Gentlemen, start your phones.)

Grrrrr. My wife got called in to the hospital, so I had to cancel our table for tonight. Now it's gonna be a while before I can get another table. Sigh.
I wouldn't despair just yet. We called last night and got a table for tonight (Fri). We even had our choice of times. But I'm sure it'll be quite a different story starting next week.

I wouldn't despair just yet. We called last night and got a table for tonight (Fri). We even had our choice of times. But I'm sure it'll be quite a different story starting next week.
I've got reservations for 7 people at 6PM one week from tonight (two days before my wedding!). It's sort of a pre-wedding celebration dinner with the people I care about most: my parents, my sister and her boyfriend, my fiancee, and her uncle/our officiant. I made it two and a half weeks ago, and the 8 o'clock slot for a party of our size was already filled.

I thought Tom's review was right on target, with the exception of the parts about the veal and decor. I think the decor captures exactly what the Michaels were going for. The veal is the most flavorful I've ever had - and that includes all the veal I ate in Italy. It's certainly not what most Americans EXPECT when they order veal, but then if I expected the valet to bring my car up from the garage and he brought a Bentley instead, I wouldn't complain.

So congrats to both Michaels on a very impressive out-of-the-gate review!

This is actually the first time I've ever seen what Michael Hartzer looks like... I imagined someone with his culinary skill and experience to be much older. Then again, his dishes do have a very youthful creativity to them, so...

My real concern for his review is not his opinions but his observation that "half the diners on any given night" are not from Montgomery County. Perceptive and a warning of sorts that for the enduring success Silver Spring must embrace Ray's with the same passion that this board does. Perhaps the exposure and rating from Tom will help accomplish this. I also believe that Silver Spring (where I grew up and lived for 40 years) needs Ray's badly. Its visible success can be a magnet to bring other restauranteurs and continue the growth that the Discovery Channel and the Silver Theatre spawned. But the redevelopment started in the '70's and it took literally decades. Silver Spring's "rebirth" (once the second largest city in Maryland with three downtown department stores) has not been easy, certainly nothing like Bethesda, Ballston or Clarendon. Ray's is an essential part of this. I wish Michael and my hometown well.

Thoughtful and gracious words. Thank you, Joe.

Your post underscores the philosophical approach behind the decision, when selecting a location for a second restaurant, to choose Silver Spring in the first place, and, having chosen Silver Spring, to endeavor to build and create a restaurant of real quality and distinction for the local community--as well as one worthy of being a true destination dining spot (rather than just doing another Ray's The Steaks, which is not, and was not built to be, but which would have been the much, much easier--time, money, energy-- thing to do and much, much, much less risky--financially and creatively).

(As an aside, one thing I missed in Tom's review was a recognition of just how unnecessarily bold and committed a move it was on my part to stray from a sure thing and to aim so high and invest so greatly in an unproven area, thereby missing the more important "Why?" I suspect that these matters are of very little importance to the Post's Sunday Magazine readership.)

Tom's perception aside, much more than half the guests at Ray's The Classics are from Montgomery County, just not from Silver Spring but rather from Potomac, Bethesda and Chevy Chase. More importantly, though, we have already been welcomed and embraced beautifully by the different Silver Spring communities, white, black, hispanic, immigrant, established, young and old--just as I had hoped and planned for--and have already created a dynamic, vibrant, lively, self-sustaining core base within the community that will be more than sufficient to build from in creating a destination for all to come to dine, to celebrate, to be welcomed.

If anything, the strength of demand from the richer parts of Montgomery County already in place, and the demand from all parts sure to surge following the review, already threatens that core and my work here, since some clienteles, despite their wealth and assumed superiority, are not conducive to creating and maintaining a pleasant place to dine (or to work, for that matter), and I fear that my neighbors consequentially may feel less welcome or at home than I truly wish them to be, displaced as the privileged classes claim yet another spot as their own.

The truth is, however, to get back to your point, is the delay in the "rebirth" of Silver Spring, despite its incredible potential and strong demographics has at its core, in many respects, the suburban fears that surround and inform today's racism. The fact that whatever I accomplish in Silver Spring flies in the face of, and puts the lie to, this prejudice is the real purpose, and satisfaction, in what I hope--and have worked--to create.

Exactly right. I got off the phone with them a half hour ago, and scored a 6p table for tonight. Now to pray my wife doesn't get called in again tonight!

Michael's post is interesting. I understand where he comes from when he says " the strength of demand from the richer parts of Montgomery County....already threatens that core and my work here".

I'd like to think I'm part of the core of RTC clientele. I live in SS, and am within a block of RTC around six days a week doing various day to day things. My feeling is that Michael has nothing to worry about, as long as the staff of RTC recognize who their target audience is and continue to go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Note that I said "continue". Already, when I walk in the door, the bar staff immediately smile, say hello to us by name, and waitstaff make a point of coming by to say "hi". I think they do it, not because we're special (trust me - after working out in the gym, we look like nothing special when we're sitting at the bar!), but because they've bought into Michael's sense of what he wants RTC to be.

I'm anticipating some possible responses to this post. I'm not implying that RTC should be inhospitable to people who make the effort to come from afar. Just that by making the locals more comfortable, perhaps Michael won't have to "...fear that my neighbors consequentially may feel less welcome or at home than I truly wish them to be".

It's a pleasure to support a business with this kind of philosphy. And the key lime pie has nothing to do with it :)

This is an overly delayed review of RTC... so I'll keep it short and simple.

Coming from the N.VA area, and a frequenter of RTS, my girlfriend and I decided to venture to Silver Spring to try the new RTC. At first I was shocked at the decor, very classic and warm to the eyes.

I enjoyed the small touches such as the decanter on the decanter-stand placed on the tables when we ordered a bottle of wine. I had to explain to my girlfriend why decanting a young wine is advantageous and she was impressed that RTC did this.

We started off with sausage biscuits apps and salds due to the overwhelming raving from the DR 'posse.' Simply stated - Tasty. Very Tasty. Excellent! My gf had the crab bisque since we loved the version at RTS. I tasted some and I must admit it did taste a little different than the batch at RTS... I actually prefer the bisque at RTS over RTC (atleast on that particular night).

For our main dishes, she had the veal which she said was delicious and tender. I had steak! of course! I wanted so badly to try the bacon wrapped scallops but my love for the well prepared steaks drew me in *sigh.* Maybe next time!!

While chatting with Michael, I couldn't help poke fun at the fact he was wearing a suit! He told us about some sides we should try, and even gave us a taste sample! The mashed potatoes were great!

If you haven't tried it yet, go go go to RTC and try some of the NEW dishes - even though I'm sure the Steaks will lure you in like they did to me.

I wish I had time to write more, but now my stomach is grumbling with the thought of good food.... [food hunt time]

-Omesh

Hi Omesh, welcome!

I agree - it's great to try out the new dishes available at RTC, but it's awfully hard to pass up favorites. Before I even looked at the menu, I had a whole list of things I wanted to try from reading this thread. We had the olive puffs, devilish eggs, and the duck/parsnip spread, which were studies in bold/mild flavors - excellent, all. Those eggs are seriously addictive! The lamb was lovely, but I especially enjoyed the eggplant cake that came with it - the crispy/chunky/chewy mouthfeel was so different and SO good! Still, I have to say that the best item of the night was, per usual, the steak. My New York sister said that her (naked) steak was the best she's ever had. Add the key lime pie and the reappearance of the hot chocolate, and we were rolling out of there! Thanks, Michael! I hope to be back soon...

I forgot to mention that Michael graciously gave us complimentary desserts to try....I think my girlfriend now likes HIM more than ME! :) They were delicious - i know - shocking.

We've both had a fiending for steak, so perhaps we'll go visit RTS this week....though I'm not sure what Michael will wear now that it's starting to get chilly. You can only wear sandals and shorts and hawaiian shirts for so long! :)

-Omesh

Had dinner about ten days ago at RTC and I think 2 1/2 stars is just about right. There were some unbelievably good things and then some things that, to me, didn't quite live up to the hype.

Anyway, here are the things I loved:

The New York strip steak (beautiful piece of meat beautifully cooked)

Fried chicken

Biscuit app

crab bisque

Apple charlotte (esp the crust)

liver pate that comes with the bread

the service (eg, we were a party of five and waiter asked whether we wanted 5 biscuits)

Here are things I thought were good:

Chateubriand (could have been great, but was sliced in the kitchen and was cool by the time it reached the table)

salads (although just tried the Caesar, and do appreciate the gesture of a free salad course)

key lime pie

creamed spinach

deviled eggs

Here are things I thought were only fair:

corn pudding

cauliflower

dumplings that come with fried chicken (mine were dry and crumbly)

shrimp app (hot shrimp cocktail?)

All in all I feel a little like I did when I saw the movie Sideways after everyone had been raving about it. It was a very good movie, and if I had stumbled on it myself I would have told everyone it was great. But fairly or not, the bar had been set extraordinarily high and as I left the theater I couldn't help feeling a bit let down.

oops - meant lobster bisque

Re: the Sietsema outing

Anyone else convinced Landrum is just greeting every suspicious looking, 35+ guy, asking a lot of questions, ordering a lot of food, and sneaking notes when no one is looking, as Tom? You may be wrong 12-14 tables a night but when you get it right you get instant respect among the industry. And I am only half joking, I think he might just be ballsy enough to do this. Has anyone on this board been greeted with a knowing wink and called Tom at The Classics? I say CONSPIRACY!! No one else? I am the only one? Ok I will be quiet now.

As I pick through the crumbs that remain after devouring the heaping mound of fried sweetbreads and mushrooms, I can’t help but wonder how this place gets away with charging $5 - $8 for their bar snacks. Most other restaurants would be doubling the price of this particular dish. But instead of contemplating about it for much longer I just sit back, take another sip of wine and smile, hoping that Landrum doesn’t come to his senses any time soon.

What's a good way to tell someone to get to RTC who's coming from the North on 95, and who is unfamiliar with DC?

They could use Google maps. Take the 495 W (or whatever it is) direction off of 95 S and take the exit for Georgia Ave. South, drive for about 1.5 miles, make a left on Colesville Rd. and it is right there.

RtC 8606 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20910

I would tell them to take 495 toward the silver-spring side (not towards the wilson bridge) and then take 29 toward silverspring (aka colseville rd). RTC is on that road.

A little more clearly :)

495 West to exit 30B Colesville Rd/Rt 29 South

Through 4 lights (the last one is Fenton St)

Look for the awning and valet almost exactly opposite of the AFI marquee

They could use Google maps. Take the 495 W (or whatever it is) direction off of 95 S and take the exit for Georgia Ave. South, drive for about 1.5 miles, make a left on Colesville Rd. and it is right there.
You can't (legally :) ) make a left on to Colesville from Georgia. The Colesville Road exit off the Beltway would probably be easier.

Thanks,

Kevin

What I learned from my second visit:

- The lemon-pepper dressing on the cress salad is one of the most refreshing flavors I've tasted in a long time. It reminded me of a great palate-cleansing grapefruit salad from Cafe Boulud.

- The combination of diablo and horseradish is my favorite for the cowboy rib-eye.

- I don't like coconut, but for some reason could not stop eating from the ginormous slice of coconut cake that my friends ordered.

- The only thing that's better than sweetbreads is deep-fried sweetbreads.

- A third visit can't come soon enough.

Had a pre-wedding bash with at RTC last night. My parents, my sister and her boyfriend, my fiancee's uncle/our officiant, and of course my lovely bride-to-be.

Michael has apparently made a comprimise between shorts/sandals and the suit, and now appears in the dining room in chef's whites. It's a good look for him. Everyone was very appreciative and understanding of the fact that last minute wedding planning, out of towners, and a drive from Alexandria to Silver Spring in DC rush hour does NOT a timely dinner guest make. This didn't stop me from freaking out and feeling guilty about showing up late, though.

In his trademark hospitality, Michael sent a lovely sparkling rosé over to our table so we could toast our futures together. However, to get over my throbbing headache and the frantics of arriving on time, I needed something a bit stronger. Cue the scotch. We got one that strarted with a "B" (Balvenie?). It was a bit too sweet for me, with a hint of molasses running through. They say that Speyside whiskys are made from Highland spring water running through the heather, which gives them a smoother taste. I say screw that! Scotch should taste like someone threw dirt on a fire and dissolved it in seawater (but in a good way). If I ever move to the Silver Spring area*, I'll be making sure that they keep a bottle of Laphroaig on hand just for me. :blink:

*The presence of RTC would certainly be a factor in such a move. :lol:

I'm horrible with names (foreign and otherwise), but I can say that our Slavic-sounding waitress was friendly and knew her stuff. The bartender (Iwa? Or am I completely off on this? -I feel awful I can never remember names... especially when he knows mine) ended up at our table many times, bringing wine and other such imbibables, as well as bussing - they wear a lot of hats at Ray's. My dad was in charge of the wine, so I never got a look at the bottle, but it was amazing. Really, wonderfully, amazing. I think I heard the term "Super Tuscan" (which to me conjures up images of Clark Kentio changing into Super-uomini).

We overwhelmed the kitchen with requests for appetizers. The figs and prosciutto were everything that the classic combination of salty Italian meats and fruity sweetness should be, but at the same time surprising and innovative. I've never had sweetbreads before, but if I ever have them anywhere else they'll have a hard time tasting this good. One of our guests described them as "funnel cake, but with cow thymus, but in a very, really, amazingly savory good way." The crab bisque was, as has been mentioned, slightly different from the one at RTS. I actually prefer the RTC version (but that might just be because we got more of it). The homemade wild yeast bread remains one of the most flavorful grain-based dishes I've ever had, and the schmaltzes make me say "Butter? What's that?"

I love the steak that Michael prepares. But if I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be the sausage biscuits. These may be the best things I've ever put inside of my mouth - and that includes the time I kissed that taller girl at the 7th grade social. Oh, and Michael, it was SOOO not cool to move the biscuits from the appetizer section of the menu to the bread section without telling everyone. My heart attack, while not fatal, was quite a scare. :)

The complimentary (always appreciated!) salads impressed and amazed. My mom (who loves anything that's green and bitter), was in love with the dandelion green salad. I picked the caesar - those croutons should be packaged and available for purchase as snacks.

For dinner we had the strip au poivre, the strip with brandy mushroom cream & blue cheese (that was me), the ribeye with an AMAZING horseradich sause, the salmon (which I did NOT get a bite of... grr), the chicken, and the veal. My fiancee proved just how much she loves me by giving me an ENTIRE stuffing dumpling. My god those things are orgasmic. It's like Thanksgiving in a pastry.

As sides we had the mac and cheese (awesome), the potatoes au gratin (my fiancee leapt on them), the creamed spinach (better than at Ray's the Steaks, and I'm glad at least ONE restaurant isn't paralyzed with media-induced e. coli fear), and the crispy potatoes anna (a little heavily salted, but otherwise delish).

Nothing to say about the steaks that haven't already been said. The veal was even MORE flavorful, juicy, and unlike any other veal I've ever had than it was at the preview dinner. Tom Sietsema must have accidentally been eating his napkin when reviewing it.

My fiancee was crestfallen that the milk and cookies were taken off the menu. Apparently too many guests looked at the egg creams the way a chimp must look at a computer: they'll never understand what it is, but they'd be totally blown away if they did. So Michael, if you have any left over, I know someone who can give the egg creams a good home. :)

I've never been a big fan of key lime pie, but at Ray's the Steaks I always order it because it's just so damn sweet and tangy and delicious and creamy. For me, however, CINAMMON is the quintissential dessert spice, and Leigh's apple turnover is now the quintissential cinnamon-based dessert. It was AMAZING. It was like taking a bite of joy. Give me a sausage biscuit in one bite and the turnover in another and I'll see God.

Six of seven guests said the chocolate cake was the best they'd ever had.

The Boylan's cherry float and the root beer float were great, but for my fiancee no replacement for her beloved egg creams. :)

Michael L. and the hostess congratulated us as we left. Now I have strip, veal, and chicken I have to somehow manage to eat between now and when we leave for our honeymoon, while still leaving room for the rehearsal dinner and tomorrow's food. Wish me luck.

We saw Michael Hartzer in person for the first time. My fiancee whispered to me "I'm still single for two more days!" Sadly, even my stunning good looks can't compete with the fact that Michael H. is such a better cook than I am. :)

Whenever we leave either of the Ray's...es, we leave feeling full. But it's never a bloating, disgusting kind of full. No matter how much we eat, we leave feeling satisfied, content, and warm.

Thanks to BOTH Michaels for an unfortgetable final pre-wedding experience!!!

I want to recommend RTC to some family that will be in town for the Marine Corps Marathon, to celebrate. But, I think they'll be staying in DC. Does anyone know how long/how much a cab ride to RTC is from the district? Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where they'll be staying yet, but I intend to find out and post when I do. But, as a point of reference, I live in Adams Morgan, so let's just say from there and I can figure out the rest.

Thanks!!

I want to recommend RTC to some family that will be in town for the Marine Corps Marathon, to celebrate. But, I think they'll be staying in DC. Does anyone know how long/how much a cab ride to RTC is from the district? Unfortunately, I don't know exactly where they'll be staying yet, but I intend to find out and post when I do. But, as a point of reference, I live in Adams Morgan, so let's just say from there and I can figure out the rest.

Thanks!!

Think in terms of the same distance from the Hilton to the Dupont Circle Metro stop except it's a little more up hill. Skip the cab, it would be too expensive in any case, and RTC is wonderfully Metro accessible on the Red Line.

I have been there 4 times in the past 2 weeks and have not posted yet because what is left to be said?? This place is just great. Great food, great neighborhood hangout. I have still not eaten in the restaurant area but to be honest I like the bar so much and living two blocks away it is just much easier to walk up there when I am in the mood than to hassle with a reservation. The only reason I will eventually get a table is to try the regular menu items. I really like the bar crew and I think they are really what is going to make this place as a "neighborhood" hangout. They all took the time to initiate an introduction after seeing me only 2 or 3 times and they seem to have done the same for most of the people eating in the bar.

With as little as I am able to go out due to my schedule I can see it being very hard for me going to other places around here because it is so nice to go somewhere where I have a relationship with the staff. I almost never go out alone but did it last night because I knew that I wouldn't be sitting alone in total silence. To have all that and FANTASTIC food with Dogfish head on tap??? Let's just say it is getting harder and harder for me to justify spending my few dining dollars at other places.

Oh and the food. Everything has been fantastic, what do you expect? C'mon everyone on this board should know this by now. If anyone hasn't been yet but had specific questions about dishes, service, dress, or bar seating availability/menu put it out there.

We finally got there last night and had a wonderful meal. It was hard to restrain myself, since there were so many different things I wanted to try. My husband and I split the eggs, sausage biscuits, and mac and cheese. He got the carrot soup, Caesar salad and filet mignon diablo. I got the Waldorf salad with fennel and cowboy ribeye diablo with horseradish sauce. I knew getting the cowboy was going to be way too much food but, as I've never managed to finish any steak at Ray's in Arlington, I just figured I'd go for it, knowing I'd be taking some home anyway. It did not disappoint, and neither did the 3 star leftovers :)

The sausage biscuits are all everyone has said and then some :) . The complimentary salad is a very nice touch and was small enough to be manageable with all of the other food. While I love Waldorf salad and like fennel, I'm not sure how I feel about fennel in Waldorf salad. I like the concept, but I'm not sure it's to my taste. My husband cleaned his plate(s). I think I liked the carrot soup, which I got a bit of, more than he did, but he quite enjoyed his meal. I'm ordering that soup next time.

I really wanted to try the cheesecake with brandied cherries but was just too full. (Our waiter, who was excellent, made an entertaining effort at offering dessert anyway :lol: ) I brought home a nice piece of cowboy steak and two biscuits, which I had held back to eat with the steak but was too full to eat when the time came.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay close attention to the reheating instructions, as I usually slice the cold leftover steak over salad rather than reheating and overcooking. This morning, though, I had an urge for steak and eggs, and there was enough steak for my husband and me to each have a nice piece. I left it out at room temperature for a while, then reheated slowly over low heat in a cast iron skillet. It didn't get any farther than medium from the original medium rare, so I considered that a success. The eggs were scrambled and served over the two remaining sausage biscuits, split. The biscuits reheated very nicely over low heat in a cast iron skillet. Those biscuits...wow. The steak bone is being simmered for stock :blink:

If eating at the Bar, I remember reading a special bar menu. Can full menu be ordered from the bar or only the bar menu?

I don't want to do a reservation on Wednesday since I don't know what time I will get out of the office but I will be in SS and want to have a good meal. Have there been any issues getting a seat at the bar during the 6-7'ish hour.