Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just at RTC last night. Michael, do you provide mainlines of the crab bisque?

Loved every bit of the experience, from the spiced cashews to the tart key lime pie. I'm still full from last night, but I'm definitely planning another excursion ASAP.

ETA: Oh, I meant to add a slightly goofy observation as well. For those of you who are familiar with The OC, you will recall in season 1 the plotline where Sandy and Jimmy were planning to re-open the Balboa Lighthouse as a classic-style restaurant. It was late into the dinner last night, after having taken in the whole experience, that it struck me that the Balboa Lighthouse would have been what Ray's The Classics is had the restaurant property not been bought out by Caleb Nichol, hahaha.

Ah, finally a lunch option besides Panera and Potbelly!

First of all, what lunch at RtC isn't: It's not a substitute for the above fast food operations. Heck, it's not even a substitute for the 15 minute lunch menus at places like Austin Grill. What lunch at RtC is is much of the great food that we've become accustomed to, along with some new items to accomodate gentler lunchhour palates (and pocketbooks).

The menu includes many of the items found on the dinner menu: venison, boar, NY Strip, crab bisque, lentil soup, etc. There are also 13 (if my counting is correct) variations on Filet Mignon (and if my recollection is correct, all priced under $20). There are also a couple of salad entrees. I had the steak salad (destined to become a lunchtime mainstay for me), which came with greens, sauteed mushrooms, and charred tomatoes. There is also a kind of bagel and lox dish, apparently served in salad form.

Dessert...I didn't even ASK about dessert after my filling lunch. I'll leave that for someone else to suss out.

Overall, I see this being a place I'll go to on a Friday when I have very meager work plans for the remainder of the afternoon. I don't think anyone can squeeze in "a quick lunch" here, and I don't think that Michael's plan for it anyways. RtC will be for occasions where I can linger over lunch and not have the spectre of work make me feel like Damocles.

ps....Other boardies were having lunch at the bar - I'm sure they'll correct any errors in my reporting, as well as offer contrary points of view!

Overall, I see this being a place I'll go to on a Friday when I have very meager work plans for the remainder of the afternoon. I don't think anyone can squeeze in "a quick lunch" here, and I don't think that Michael's plan for it anyways. RtC will be for occasions where I can linger over lunch and not have the spectre of work make me feel like Damocles.
I could see this as a great place to take VIP's for lunch when they are in town. I could not see this as a regular lunch day when I have to go back to work. Best for a Friday when we are blowing off the afternoon.

Well of COURSE I knew THAT... I just, um, err... I... stammer stammer... umm... when I said "Michaels," I was referring to Michael LandrumS, in all his various personae: Hawai'ian shirt Michael, suit Michael, chef's whites Michael, Malibu Barbie Michael...
WARNING: There is a Midday Michael. The surreality doesn't end with just his bedhead, popped lunch cherry or my transmission grinding shift from being at work one minute, at RTC the next and too soon back to work again. No, it's being in a relatively quiet place, fully awake and fully focusing on the food. Sure, we eat with our eyes first, but without the distractions [and sipping tonic water only] the quality of "Ray's" steak is amplified.

Sorry, I didn't get all the permutations of the Filet Mignon committed to memory. I'm probably going to take my time and servings of bisque or spicy onion or lentil soup to fashion lunches suitable for productive non-steak-stupor afternoons. There was ample metered one-hour parking on their block and 2-hour meters the next block north on Colesville.

This will be a great place for both restorative solo lunches or meetings in the booths.

After 9 months of well done meat, nothing with raw or undercooked eggs and a grand total of 3 sips of Mr. BLB's drinks, I was more than ready for lunch at RTC yesterday.

There are no words to describe how happy I was with my lunch. Perfection on a plate.

First, BLBaby slept through the entire meal without making a sound. (See avatar for his first dining out experience.)

Next, Michael allowed me to order off the menu and try one of the legendary calotte steaks.

Now perhaps it is just that I haven't had a truly amazing (and pink) steak since June 2006, but this was the best piece of meat I have ever tasted. It was tender but not too soft and the flavor was beyond belief. I ate the whole damn thing...

I'm already wondering when I can go again...

The rest of the meal was wonderful as well--a glass of cava, caesar salad and the dark chocolate mousse. I was a very happy, if somewhat tipsy, person.

Michael came out from behind the grill to say hello and meet the baby and was his usual gracious and welcoming self--next time, perhaps there will be more time to get into the heart of the Ethical Society thing.

Mr. BLB and I agree that it was one of the most enjoyable afternoons we can remember!

Jennifer

So, are reservations necessary for lunch? Do I need to get there when the door opens to get a seat? Anybody whimming in the neighborhood tomorrow? (I'm hoping to squeeze in a lunch between dr's appts, and don't know if I can make it there by 12...)

So, are reservations necessary for lunch? Do I need to get there when the door opens to get a seat? Anybody whimming in the neighborhood tomorrow? (I'm hoping to squeeze in a lunch between dr's appts, and don't know if I can make it there by 12...)

Are you kidding? It's Silver Spring, FCS! :blink:

Decent business lunch places are few in Silver Spring. It might start filling up, especially if Red Lobster or Macaroni Grill is slammed. :blink:
Scary thought to even mention those two in the same conversation as RTC.

It still isn't really well known that RTC is open for lunch (by design). When I went last Friday a place to sit was not a problem. That steak salad is REALLY good.

It still isn't really well known that RTC is open for lunch (by design). When I went last Friday a place to sit was not a problem. That steak salad is REALLY good.

I was fortunate to get the early part of my schedule done in time for a quick trip to the bar for that REALLY wonderful steak salad. The music, food and decor were enough to transport me to a different hemisphere and time. Very classy. The restaurant wasn't empty by far, but you're right, no problem with finding a place to sit.

It was a beautifully deconstructed salad on a rectangular plate with the salad, steak, blue cheese, grilled onion and other assorted toppings artfully arranged. Having not had breakfast, I looked at the plate when it arrived and thought, among other things, that it looked manageable. (Meaning, I'd be able to finish it and not need to take a doggy bag home.) Well, it is more than it appears on the plate! I did leave my plate quite clean, but had no room for dessert this time. If only I could get a salad like that downtown...one can dream, can't they? I'm still full, BTW, seven hours later!

I brought a friend visiting the area for the first time here last night for dinner at the bar. I had the Poinsettia as a cocktail: champagne, cranberry syrup, and maraschino liqueur, garnished with a star anise pod. We skipped starters and went straight for the mains: salmon with red grapes and raisin sauce for me, filet for her, and an order of the potatoes au gratin. The salmon was the best-cooked piece of fish I've had in a very long time -- moist, meaty, and surprisingly awesome with raisin sauce. My friend was very happy with her filet, and we cleaned the skillet of potatoes au gratin, which seemed a little undercooked, but were too deliciously cheesy to forego.

Desserts: I had vanilla bean cheesecake, she had the GINORMOUS chocolate cake. Cheesecake was very good, of the style with a layer of (vanilla-bean-laced) sour cream on top. The chocolate cake was amazing -- moist, light, and rich at the same time. Also, did I mention it was big?

We both left very pleased, very full, and very grateful for the walk home.

I was curious to see what other's experiences were as sometimes the posted info and the info you receive on the phone are different than the reality of what happens at the door.

The kitchen closing at 2 doesn't tell me what time they will turn me away at the door. We called yesterday at 1:40 to say we were five minutes away and were told they weren't seating any additional tables. This morning when I called, I was told that arriving at 1:45 would allow us to be seated.

NOTE: I'm not picking on Ray's or Michael or the staff. I'm in the neighborhood for meetings quite often and if I can make sure things get done earlier rather than later so I can have a nice meal, I will. But I need to know what parameters I'm dealing with in order to happily give over my hard earned $$$.

Jennifer

I was curious to see what other's experiences were as sometimes the posted info and the info you receive on the phone are different than the reality of what happens at the door.

The kitchen closing at 2 doesn't tell me what time they will turn me away at the door. We called yesterday at 1:40 to say we were five minutes away and were told they weren't seating any additional tables. This morning when I called, I was told that arriving at 1:45 would allow us to be seated.

NOTE: I'm not picking on Ray's or Michael or the staff. I'm in the neighborhood for meetings quite often and if I can make sure things get done earlier rather than later so I can have a nice meal, I will. But I need to know what parameters I'm dealing with in order to happily give over my hard earned $$$.

Jennifer

Lunch closing times are a tricky business. I have found over the past two weeks that late lunch parties, say 1:45--when the last previous table was seated at 12:45--have been extended way into my dinner prep time (now that we are open lunch I have to do all of my butchering at night, after the dinner service). Consequently, I have to steal every moment I can to try to stay on top of prep until regular flows and patterns are established and then planned for.

However, if you took the trouble to call, you should have been welcomed, no question, and that you weren't was a mistake. My apologies.

We have a principle of never turning away a guest if at all possible no to, regardless of the clock, even if it means turning the grill back on and me waiting on the table myself--which is what would happen if a new table was seated at 1:45 on a lunch where we only served three tables all of which were done by 1:15 and I sent the waiter on break at 1:30 (NOT an invitation to come late, by the way!). Lunch is still working itself out though and is not yet operating on all cylinders. So the situation is fluid, but again, if you call you should be welcomed, at least until 2.

...We have a principle of never turning away a guest if at all possible no to, regardless of the clock, even if it means turning the grill back on and me waiting on the table myself--... (NOT an invitation to come late, by the way!).

Nice save. You know how we think.

Brought visiting family here for dinner last week, and had probably my best meal at RTC yet. Service has truly reached an outstanding level based on my last couple of visits. Servers are friendly yet professional and very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. The bussers are spot on with refilling drinks, bread, etc. and clearing plates. The entire experience, from the valet opening the door through exiting the restaurant, simply works flawlessly.

The usual raves: crab bisque, onion soup, lentil soup were outstanding. Our out of town guests were blown away by the quality of the steaks (got the usual "we could never eat at Morton's/Ruths Chris/etc. again reaction"). The side of roasted mushrooms were incredible enough that they were scarfed down in moments. Michael's grill work is of course excellent (low-char, as requested by my wife, still gets a perfectly cooked steak), and he somehow still finds time to work the dining room. One new (to me) entree: rack of wild boar was just pure "pork-ness" all the way through. It's hard to avoid ordering a steak, but if you find someone to share with, get a steak and the boar for a great ride.

As usual, we boxed up almost half the dinner to make room for dessert. We ordered 5 different ones and just passed them around, and it was impossible to pick a winner. I convinced everyone that the coconut cake had to be one of the choices, and even though we had no coconut cake lovers at the table, they were all converts afterwards (thanks Krishna). Oh, and I should point out that except for my wife, they all lived in South Florida for years, and agreed with my assertion that Michael's Key Lime Pie is one of the best we've ever had.

My wife's family comes to town in June. They're from Texas, so they love their steak. Can't wait to blow them away...

First timers:

Pushed by the discover of the place through donrockwell.com, we are off to RTC for the first time, for an anniversary dinner.

Reviewing the fifteen (!) pages of posts for menu suggestions, I'm a little overwhelmed. We both love beef, but we are more hanger steak than filet types. Seems like you can't make a bad choice, but I would still like to hear your suggestions. Thanks

First timers:

Pushed by the discover of the place through donrockwell.com, we are off to RTC for the first time, for an anniversary dinner.

Reviewing the fifteen (!) pages of posts for menu suggestions, I'm a little overwhelmed. We both love beef, but we are more hanger steak than filet types. Seems like you can't make a bad choice, but I would still like to hear your suggestions. Thanks

The hanger steak is a great choice at RtC. The picanha would also be a good alternative.

With the in-laws in town to meet BLBaby, we decided to take them to RTC for lunch. Now I don't think they have eaten red meat in at least a decade but I suspected the seafood options would intrigue them.

They were enchanted! Loved the ambiance and we had a very nice, leisurely lunch. Father-in-law had the prawn salad which was huge. I had the rib-eye, Mr. BLB had the filet (again) and his mother had the onion soup and caeser salad. I really enjoyed the rib-eye. Great texture and flavor and a huge portion which I unabashedly enjoyed in its entirety.

For dessert we split the key lime pie and chocolate cake (very sad to see the chocolate mousse missing from the menu...); we didn't leave a crumb of the desserts.

The baby wasn't quite as perfectly behaved this time but I hope I whisked him into his sling before he disrupted the lunch meeting at the table behind us.

Bonus points to our server who volunteered to snap a picture of baby's first lunch with the grandparents.

A wonderful time as always!

Well, it turns out there was no hanger steak!

Bit of a disapppointment, really, since we are both fans. Didn't see any of the neat sounding appetizers, either - no tartare stuffed eggs, or marrow stuffed mushrooms, etc.

She had the carb bisque, very nice, and I had the wonderful onion soup, it seemed like essence of beef sweetened with onions, and topped with a bit of shredded hard cheese. Rich and perfect.

When we expressed our disappointment about the hanger steak, the server didn't really suggest alternatives. So I went for the entrecote, medium rare, she the house special strip. Both were perfectly cooked and quite wonderul. The stock mashed potatoes and spinach couldn't have been better, there was just a bit of heat to the spinach that balanced the creaminess: subtle and yet memorable.

We would have normally gone with a cab, but were amused to find out that the list started with an Avalon 2004 ($29) that we drink all the time at home. We switched to a super tuscan, Brancaia Tre (2004?) that was a delight and a relative bargain ($41)

We'd seen some of the enormous desserts go by - the coconut cake at the next table - but wanted to split the key lime pie. (I used to do it the real old fashioned way at home: fresh key lime juice, egg yolks and sugar.) We asked about the portion and were told it was big as well, but in reality it was pretty normal sized. Based on the amount of beef we took back home (in a , full sized kraft paper shopping bag, my wife thought that doggie bags should be more subtle) we didn't really need the oversized pie, and it was silk smooth but, IMHO, could have used a bit more tang.

So all in all, a fine first visit. I think next time we will call first and get a better idea about what is on the menu. We still have to go back to try the hanger steak!

Scott and I stopped by for an entertaining late dinner last night. The menu has shrunk, and so have the wines by the glass, but there are still treasures to be found. It's tough not to order a steak, but I went with the Jurassic prawns and was not sorry. As always, thanks to Nick and the man in the Underdog shirt for taking care of us.

(BTW, the steak salad is only on the lunch menu and there's no bar menu yet, but Nick said it should be rolling out soon.)

Taking my son for his 17th bday.. We are going as a family of 4, 17 yr old is a meat and potatos kind of guy..actually a hockey player and hockey ref.

How can I make this special...Any steaks that still stand out

Thanks

Mark

Taking my son for his 17th bday.. We are going as a family of 4, 17 yr old is a meat and potatos kind of guy..actually a hockey player and hockey ref.

How can I make this special...Any steaks that still stand out

Thanks

Mark

*sniff* That's beautiful. A hockey playing son. That's all I ask for in life.

He's going to be happy with just about anything at RtC but I'd suggest the Cowboy steak for a 17 yr old appetite. Those kids can toss back a ton of food and the Cowboy (30 oz, I believe) will take care of him just fine. Add a side of mashed potatoes or potatoes gratin and finish him off with a huge slice of the chocolate cake. He'll feel like he just got run over by the zamboni.

Wow... just went to Ray's for lunch, amazing steak salad. My friend made fun of me, but even he thought he would get it next time! It was a huge plate and was wonderful all around, the blue cheese, the steak, the wonderful dressing... I was surprised there were not more people there, I guess it is one of those well kept secrets that they are open at lunch.

I was at Classics last week for dinner, and the au gratin potatoes were not on the menu. Roasted mushrooms, thankfully, were.
Au Gratin is GONE! - However, Mashed potatoes & Creamed spinach are now complimentary.

Another update - Valet parking is gone too. - The lot behind the restaurant does seem to have free parking.

The cowboy just as excellent as ever - Glad some things never change.

Just as a tip - The vanilla cream cheesecake was more than great.

So here I am dreaming about my reservation on Wed night.

What cuts of meat a still on the menu? Any cuts specific to ray's like I had previously heard on this board.

My two boys are mac n Cheese fiends, that will go over well. I just need a glass(or three) of red wine and I smile from ear to ear.

Au Gratin is GONE! - However, Mashed potatoes & Creamed spinach are now complimentary.

Another update - Valet parking is gone too. - The lot behind the restaurant does seem to have free parking.

The cowboy just as excellent as ever - Glad some things never change.

Just as a tip - The vanilla cream cheesecake was more than great.

How can you get rid of Valet parking? Where is Michael?

There is no valet parking anymore. There's street parking in front, subject to rush hour restrictions, and there is a large lot behind the building that charges a reasonable fee.

I don't recall seeing macaroni & cheese on the menu the last time we were there. I could be wrong though.

There is no valet parking anymore. There's street parking in front, subject to rush hour restrictions, and there is a large lot behind the building that charges a reasonable fee.

And two parking structures within 2 blocks. There is no shortage of parking in that neighborhood, even on weekends.

Macaroni & cheese was on the menu this past Saturday night.
My long-term memory is not what it was. :blink:

About the valet parking...I got the sense that the cops in that area were not sympathetic to the valet process blocking a lane on Colesville. As Daniel said though there is no shortage of parking around there at night.

My long-term memory is not what it was. :blink:

About the valet parking...I got the sense that the cops in that area were not sympathetic to the valet process blocking a lane on Colesville. As Daniel said though there is no shortage of parking around there at night.

No worry, All my memory is shot, long term short term - lucky I remember my own name these days.

Parking was no issue - Free in the big lot behind the restaurant.

About the valet parking...I got the sense that the cops in that area were not sympathetic to the valet process blocking a lane on Colesville. <snip>
True. At the end, they were not allowed to show any presence on Colesville until after the street meters were open for parking again -- at 6:30, I believe. Instead they were tucked around back in one of the entrances to the big lot on Georgia. Another example of MoCo at its finest.

Inevitably, it becomes impossible to serve two masters, and one must make a choice. In the case of Ray's : The Classics, the demands of the status-driven, destination diner came at the direct expense of the desires and comfort of the local community which it has always been my primary mission to serve.

The inevitable choice to be of greatest value (and offer the greatest possible value) to my true and local community, which requires no defense or explanation, manifests itself in evolving menu offerings as well as in other service and accommodation priorities.

That being said, many of you may be quite happy to see the introduction of a bar-only menu offering specials and favorites from the past not previously available at Ray's: The Classics/Ray's: The Bar and only a dim memory from the past at Ray's: The Steaks:

Ray’s: The Steaks At Ray’s: The Bar

Bar-Only Specials, Monday-Friday

Grilled Applewood Smoked Slab Bacon

with Charcuterie Sweet-and-Sauer-kraut and Dijon-thyme sauce 7.95

Steak with Salad

Sliced NY Strip Sirloin with Sautéed Mushrooms, Grilled Onions, Blue Cheese,

Charred Tomatoes, Mixed Greens, Balsamic Vinaigrette 14.95

Chopped Steak Dinner--$15

Soup or Salad

-

14 Ounce Hand Chopped Prime Aged Steak Served:

-With Olde-Fashioned Mushroom, Bacon and Onion Gravy

-Seared With a Cracked Black Peppercorn Crust and Port-Peppercorn Cream

-Blackened with Cajun Spices and Topped with Sauteed Garlic

Add Aged Bleu Cheese Crumbles or Sauteed Mushrooms $1.00

Mashed Potatoes, Creamed Spinach and Grilled Red Onions

Ray’s Bistro Special--$22.95

Soup or Salad

-

Grilled Hanger Steak with Choice of Sauce or Topping

Grilled Organic Irish Salmon with Wine-Stewed Grapes and Raisin Black Pepper Sauce and Crushed Pistachios

Mashed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach

-

Dessert

Basketball legend, and source of much bewildered pain to a certain five year old autograph-seeking Celtics fanatic whose whole live revolved around the Garden floorboards to the point that he would volunteer to do his older brother's paper route at 5 am on weekends since Paul Westphal--at that time the hapless benchwarmer behind the fiercely determined but ultimately dissapointed John Havlicek--was a customer on that route, thinking in some sadly misguided childhood logic that maybe he would get a glimpse of underdog hero and not very tall Jo Jo White, visiting, perhaps, his teammate for the weekend, Bill Russell once remarked on another site that one thing keeping Ray's: The Steaks from true steakhouse greatness was the absence of grilled bacon (yes, Mr. Russell, even today you are capable of hurt, even though you would think by now I would have learned).

That omission has now been corrected at Ray's: The Classics, as the observant among you may have noticed above.