Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Well, went to Palena tonight (didn't get served though :) ).

Drove (45 minutes) out there and asked how long it would be for a table outside. The hostess told us there was a 45 minute wait to be sat and that she would call us when our table would be ready. We gave her my cell phone number and went over to Starbucks and waited...and waited. 45 minutes later she called. When we got there, we discovered that it was a table in the cafe (and we wanted to sit outside and enjoy the mild weather). Already starving, we decided to sit at the table inside. Literally 20 seconds after we sat down, we decided that we'd wait just a little bit longer for a table outside (which is why we drove all that way in the first place). I got out of my seat and explained to the hostess that we've decided to wait for a table outside. She huffed and rolled her eyes at me and took our menus. We then step outside to wait.

After about 10 minutes, a table cleared outside. My wife and I were both excited...until we saw the hostess seat another party at the table. It turns out that if you don't like the table they seat you at, they put you at the end of the waiting list! If only the customer service and the attitudes of the hostesses, restaurant manager, and servers (other than Scott and Jerome - the only two that I've found that make an evening at Palena enjoyable!) were 1/10th the quality of the food, that restaurant might actually show up on the radars of people other than us foodies. I've just about given up on them!

It still shocks me that anyone, especially a self-procaimed 'foodie', would drive 45 minutes to a very popular restaurant on a Saturday night without a reservation. And then blame the restaurant for the debacle!

We live in the suburbs (Howard County) and wanted to go to city and sit outside and enjoy the roasted chicken while the whether was nice. And we got there around 7:30 (at time when we felt the wait wouldn't be too long). As for the reservations: as far as I know, they don't take reservations for the cafe.

Why don't you point out the part in my post where I stated that we had a problem with the original 45 minutes wait. That was expected on our part. Also, explain to me where it was my fault for originally requesting an outdoor table.

It still shocks me that anyone, especially a self-procaimed 'foodie', would drive 45 minutes to a very popular restaurant on a Saturday night without a reservation. And then blame the restaurant for the debacle!

They don't take reservations for the cafe. That said, dropping to the bottom of the wait list sounds like a problem to me.

Oh please don't! We have a great betting pool going on what you'll find to find fault with next time.

Well believe it or not (as I just explained to someone in a PM who had similar concerns), I go to Palena knowing that that the food is exceptional and then they always exceed my expectations. Similarly, I go in knowing that the service will be poor (unless I can have Scott or Jerome serving me) and somehow the service always falls short of my expectations.

eh...I do that a lot (the 45 minute drive to a very popular place-that-shall-remain-nameless that does not take reservations). But if I am told the wait is 45 minutes for an outside table, then by gum, the table I'm led to after waiting 45 minutes should be outside!

[Palena-the-sacred-cow defenders may now fire at will.]

I' m with mhberk on this one (and I'm by no means suggesting that I'm usually against him). It appears that the person who put his name on the list failed to note that he wanted an outside table. It is from that initial failure that all of the others followed. Lesson learned: when they call on the cellphone to tell you that they have a table for you, make sure to ask "is it an outside table?" If not, say "call me back when you have an outside table."

Already starving, we decided to sit at the table inside... It turns out that if you don't like the table they seat you at, they put you at the end of the waiting list!
What is the statute of limitations for being at the top of a waiting list after having accepted (albeit grudgingly) been seated at another table when vying for 1 of 4 tables outside on a summer's Saturday night circa 7:30, when most diners in the same Eastern time zone are also jockeying for position?
Similarly, I go in knowing that the service will be poor (unless I can have Scott or Jerome serving me) and somehow the service always falls short of my expectations.
Why be so masochistic? There is a plenty of patio space at Lauriol Plaza.

When you put your name on the list, did you tell them "outside table only please"?

Yes. The hostess said that it's about a 45 minutes wait, but with an outside table, it might be shorter.

Scott no longer works there BTW.

NO!!!

I' m with mhberk on this one (and I'm by no means suggesting that I'm usually against him).

Thanks Mark!

Sorry, we are waiting for an outside table. Is one available? No? How long for an outside table? Twenty minutes? OK, we'll wait.
-Sorry, but we have been waiting for an outside table, and would really prefer to continue to wait for one.

-Yes, of course sir, we will place you at the top of the waiting list for the next available outside table. Would you care to wait at the bar with a complimentary drink until it opens up?

-Sorry, but we have been waiting for an outside table, and would really prefer to continue to wait for one.

-Yes, of course sir, we will place you at the top of the waiting list for the next available outside table. Would you care to wait at the bar with a complimentary drink until it opens up?

Oh, and here are the keys to the cash register-help yourself!

You clearly have no concept of customer service

Just speak up! I was responding to a post that said, 'Hey, we made a slight error, have a $20 round of cocktails on us!' Customer service doesn't mean you eat or drink free every time there's a hiccup. And I know what customer service is, because most of my customers are repeats and regulars and they love me- :)

(i forget the starting price, maybe somewhere between $65 and $70 for three courses, and it goes up $10 or so for each additional course, arriving under $100)

i must have been reading out of the corner of my eye: the top price for five courses on saturday night was $75, then they notch down $9 a course.

a delicious bluefin carpaccio was an assembly of small, dark jewels. rising from flat ruby slices of the fish was a berry of the tuna balancing three miniature chips of potato. casting an emerald shadow onto the plate, a fried basil leaf straddled the distance to an ingot of caponata, punctuated by an astounding stone: a round deviled egg with a reddish eye of onion. then bring on the cheeseburger, the fries and the chicken.

our next door neighbors turned into wicked stepsisters, complaining about this and that and sending things back. it's easy to eavesdrop from the front window cafe tables but i do my best to tune it out. still, a dauphine was compared to a tater tot. who needs to listen to that!

if you like peppermint, try to find it in the dessert, where it resonates: chocolate cupcakes with peppermint ice cream. the cake was not dry, the icing was lavish and the cool peppermint was soft and chewy.

(there are many empty tables in the dino window, the dining spot has shifted to the sidewalk where the summer feels later than it is. ardeo seems mobbed.)

edited to add: from the inside, the outside tables looked inviting on saturday night, but who wants to sit with a gas station behind your back?

Well, you can order of the menu a la carte instead of as part of the prix fixe menu, which I don't believe you can do in the restaurant (though I'm not certain as I've only been to the cafe). I guess that's a cafe menu "rule".

you can order anything you want in the cafe, from both menus. i wouldn't be surprised if they allowed one of your courses to be the palena burger in the main dining room if you told them you have become addicted to it and need such fortification before returning home to hunt down and murder wriggly carpet beetle larvae in the dead of night. normally, however, you don't get the cafe menu when sitting in the back. of course, all the rules may change when palena heads to the big mansion haunted by the myopic ghost of dr. ...

you can order anything you want in the cafe, from both menus. i wouldn't be surprised if they allowed one of your courses to be the palena burger in the main dining room if you told them you have become addicted to it and need such fortification before returning home to hunt down and murder wriggly carpet beetle larvae in the dead of night. normally, however, you don't get the cafe menu when sitting in the back. of course, all the rules may change when palena heads to the big mansion haunted by the myopic ghost of dr. ...

Thanks for the details. I just wanted to make sure the patio functioned as an extension of the Cafe.

And do they have a new website? The old one is three years out of date -- at least take the thing offline if you're not going to keep it current.

Alas, not true. You can order from both menus in the cafe, but only the prix fixe menu in the dining room.

Alas, not true. You can order from both menus in the cafe, but only the prix fixe menu in the dining room.

are you certain? have you tried pleading with them in the back dining room for a burger? are their rules that hidebound? before the cafe opened, when they first went to the set menu, they would allow you to order anything for your courses. three entrees if you wanted, or all dessert. i just wonder if there haven't been at least a few times when a diner paying for the prix-fixe menu was discretely slipped a burger. i do know there are times they will give you cookies when they are not on the menu, and they don't make you beg for them either. i have always assumed that palena was lax in disciplining its customers, though i can understand entirely if there are some things that just can't be done. (by the way, if gary danko has a jacket and tie rule for the gents still on the books, and its web site would suggest that it does the last time i looked, it sure isn't enforcing it. we saw open necks and even some chest hair, which is saying a lot because it is rather dark in there. if you would like to see where big eyes come from, a block down the street, across from ghirardelli chocolate, you can look in the gallery window at the margaret keane paintings, and in the flesh you can see why hollywood types would go after them. they used to sell them here in the mid-1960s, reproductions i guess, along with lava lamps, at ninth and f. your art history lesson starts here: http://besmirched.tripod.com/eyes.html. i know this is way off track, but this is what thinking about palena burgers can do to you this early in the morning. i am surprised the sun is already up.)

Yes, I'm sure.

i have heard from a reliable source that if you are hell-bent on ordering a cafe menu item in the back room as one of your courses, you are allowed to do so, staying within the price structure of the prix-fixe menu. now i am going to have to do my best to discourage my wife from ordering the burger the next time we are in the back room.

i have heard from a reliable source that if you are hell-bent on ordering a cafe menu item in the back room as one of your courses, you are allowed to do so, staying within the price structure of the prix-fixe menu.
I don't understand why anyone would want to order from the cafe menu at dining room prices, considering that the offerings in the back room are generally superior.

burgers in the back room?

dear friends, as a repeat back-room diner i like the contrast between the cafe which also has its benefits, a louder more festive ambiance outdoor seating etc... i reckon chef ruta divided the restaurant for a purpose. and i see the sober dining area is for serious dining and eaters who have mastered the fine art of utensils. no finger foods here, my friends. the quiet conservative atmosphere and its associated menu lifts standards not seen anywhere else in this city. if you start mixing burgers with my risibisi i would be just as irked as if my companion had ordered a corn dog or any variant of a meat on a stick.

i have heard from a reliable source that if you are hell-bent on ordering a cafe menu item in the back room as one of your courses, you are allowed to do so, staying within the price structure of the prix-fixe menu. now i am going to have to do my best to discourage my wife from ordering the burger the next time we are in the back room.

This makes no sense unless the person you are referring to is 10 or under.

This makes no sense unless the person you are referring to is 10 or under.

for the record, i have never eaten anything off the cafe menu in the back room, not even the chicken. however, the restaurant will indulge infantile diners who want to. this is a delicate matter, i understand, and hopefully, those who find they must resort to finger food in the sober area will be just as discrete as the mothers who nurse their babies in public places.

I practically begged for something from the cafe menu last summer because none of the main courses appealed to me (Just a bad fit between me and the menu that night. I was feeling extra-picky, which sucked.). The answer was "No, sorry. You can't order from that menu here."

At that point, I was a cafe regular, showing my face in Palena every 5-7 days (really). I'm saying that not because I expected special treatment, but to say that "they knew me, were always so nice to me and still wouldn't do it."

I ended up with two pasta courses.

I practically begged for something from the cafe menu last summer because none of the main courses appealed to me (Just a bad fit between me and the menu that night. I was feeling extra-picky, which sucked.). The answer was "No, sorry. You can't order from that menu here."

At that point, I was a cafe regular, showing my face in Palena every 5-7 days (really). I'm saying that not because I expected special treatment, but to say that "they knew me, were always so nice to me and still wouldn't do it."

maybe the restaurant has changed its policy since then. i do know they want to keep the two parts of the restaurant distinct, but they also want people in the back room to be happy.

On our first visit to Palena several months ago, NQD and I were joined by another couple in the back room. This was, I repeat, our FIRST trip to Palena. Among the many delightful things the four of us tried that evening, how could we miss out on the chicken?

Our server did have to get approval from someone (manager? Chef?), but yes, we had the chicken. I probably would not have asked about the burger.

Next time just ask to be moved to the cafe, where you can have either menu. Simple solution.

Why not enjoy the fine dining menu and then come back the next day to have your chicken... OR... why not eat in the back early, have a nice stroll around the neighborhood perhaps stopping by another exquisite Cleveland Park establishment Nanny 'O Briens, then head back to the cafe for round two... OR... Savor the flavor in the beautiful if not slighty disjointed decor towards the rear of the restaurant, and ask your waiter to have the kitchen prepare a cafe to go order which you can then eat in front of your TV or in bed or in your car on the way home or while typing madly away on Don Rockwell.com... OR... why not partner up with another set of diners, having one of you dine in the front while simultaniously another in the back and then switch half way through your meal or even halfway through each course... OR... Dressed in city flavored camoflauge, hide amoung the plants outside of Palena until the restaurant closes, then silently force entry into the building while of course avoiding the invisible laser intruder detection system and also making sure not to trip the pressure sensitive alarm plates built into the floor, then ransack the chefs office to find his secret Palena recipe book which is written in sanskit, then, assuming you can read ancient sanskrit, open your own restaurant called Pylena using said recipes but where there is only one dining space and diners are allowed to order from the entire menu at will.

finally, something about the destiny of palena that makes sense:

http://restaurants.washingtoncitypaper.com...p?week=20060901

forget about the ghost of dr.... he stayed up in the big house with his interlinear translations of cicero to test his patients. humble by comparison, the space on p street looks lacking now, though i hear that at the third day they have been working furiously in the back room on a venus flytrap/bamboo hybrid to leave behind for the landlord. on a dark day it can take your head off before you switch on the lights.

blue laws may be long gone, but they still have an archaic system in dc for parceling out liquor licenses. the same can be said for out-of-state wine deliveries. in the good old days befor the interdidction this was by far the best thing to arrive in our mail.

Searching for comfort on a plate, and taking advantage of the parking spot right in front that fate provided, I ended up at Palena for dinner last night. I had planned on grabbing a burger to take home but after a quick glance of the menu I decided to add another course and enjoy my meal at the bar.

The domestic Matsutake mushroom season is upon us and Chef Ruta is taking advantage of its brief visit. I had the matsutake and zuchini veloute, one of two dishes that highlight matsutakes. The aroma of the soup arrived before the plate which made those around me drool with jealousy. Hidden in the broth are more mushrooms which are highlighted by a drizzle of olive oil. Topping it off is Chef Ruta's infamous coddled egg, which when broken open provides another level of creaminess proving Chef's genious with simple, fresh ingredients.

Tonight, as the temperature drops and the rain falls I once again wish we lived in a world where Palena had home delivery.

Went to Palena last night and as always were wowed by the food. It was the first time we tried the gnocchi and we both loved it. The food, as always, was wonderful. I only wish I could say the same about the service... Because of a miscommunication (it was pretty loud last night in the cafe/bar area) all the food came out at one time. Not too big a problem, but 2 burgers, a fry plate, a plate of gnocchi, 2 wine glasses, 2 water glasses, and a bottle of wine is a very tight fit on the cafe tables. We made a conscious effort to finish off the gnocchi first (though it being so wonderful made that an easy task) so we could get the plate out of the way. Sadly the waiter didn't show back up until well after we'd finished everything. Luckily he left the wine on the table (which they don't always do in the cafe since the tables are smallish). Oh well, not that big a deal.

Our main problem was we ended up waiting 40 minutes in between ordering dessert and then getting dessert. I couldn't tell since I was facing out of the restaurant, but my GF said that every 10 minutes or so he'd peak around the corner and see how we were doing, see we didn't have dessert and then wander off. After about 30 minutes he came to the table and was like "you don't have dessert?" Finally about 10 minutes later or so the desserts come up. I'm sure it could have been a kitchen problem, or something, but not explanation, reason, or really apology was offered so we had no idea what was going on. However, I'm not certain why it took him 30 minutes (yes I actually time it. I had gotten a text message during the time we were ordering dessert so knew what time we ordered dessert) to think that something might be wrong...

I doubt it will hurt them at all as the place was packed the whole time we were there, but it'll be a little bit before we go back probably. At least until the burger or the chicken wins out and I just have to go :-) The whole thing just put a bit of a damper on the evening.

ETA: We had the cheesecake and the strudel. Both were quite good, but not something that should take very long to prepare as more than likely both are made earlier in the day. One other odd thing is that the strudel comes with a small slice of plum under the creme fraiche ice cream. Mine was from the end of the plum so it had skin all along one side. Still had the "California Plum 4040" sticker on it...

Because of a miscommunication (it was pretty loud last night in the cafe/bar area) all the food came out at one time. Not too big a problem, but 2 burgers, a fry plate, a plate of gnocchi, 2 wine glasses, 2 water glasses, and a bottle of wine is a very tight fit on the cafe tables.

no way short of levitation would our small cafe table have accommodated two glasses of water; two martinis, one beautifully pickled; a bread basket with slices from three different loaves actually worth eating and two bread plates; a glass of albarino and another of zinfandel; a cafe salad interspersed with nuggets of the most delicious white beets; pink open-faced ravioli dolloped with an intense red beet mousse juxtaposed with a rectangular slice of fluke in a buttery hazelnut crust; palena fries; palena burger; and a bowl of small nouilles tossed with sea urchin and its crazy, faceted sea flavor.

such a procession to the table surely would have resembled spectacle reminiscent of dr. seuss. our waitress, fairly new and well into getting the hang of things, is like shelley duvall, in a mellower role than she is usually accustomed to playing.

with lemon-raspberry baltimore cake on our breath, we head up the street to the nearest liquor store, a few doors down from dino, and procure a recent bottle of pierre peters champagne to celebrate after we make it up the hill. anthony quinn (i think that's who he calls himself) runs up to enthusiastically recommend it when he sees we have our eyes on it, and lo and behold, it's a thierry thiese. it's a wonderful night, the moon is all out and we have no trouble facing the following morning first thing, having been heightening our tolerance levels in recent weeks at the shore, among other things, lamenting the indelicacy of oysters harvested from the delmarva peninsula.

I had thought the main restaurant had closed on Monday but that the cafe was open. Was both the main restaurant and cafe closed when you tried?

Closed up tight. Sign out front listed Monday hours but when I called the phone number it indicated only Tuesday-Saturday hours on the machine.

Not so much of a bummer when I lived in Van Ness but fucking annoying when you live in Gaithersburg.

Had dinner at 2 Amy's instead.

(And yes, I should have called first but, other than long weekends, when has Palena NOT been open on a Monday?)

Jennifer

Is it really reasonable to refuse to seat a regular (and obvioudsly pregnant) customer when there are no seats at the bar to wait at???

Love the food here but the customer service (with notable exceptions) is innane at best.

Sigh...

Jennifer, cranky and 6 months pregnant...

The seating policy at palena has been discussed ad nauseum; and it is standard at many other restaurants.

I happened to be sitting at the end of the bar when you walked in and noticed you. since i was to be leaving soon anyway, i thought it the chivelrous thing to do to get up and free my seat up for you. i motioned for you to come over and take my seat, but you seemed disinterested; and you continued to stay by the hostess stand. the seat remained empty for the 5 minutes I stood there before leaving.

I am sorry that you felt neglected; we never want a customer to leave feeling as if they have been wronged in some way. please come back, so palena can make it up to you.

jonathan

The seating policy at palena has been discussed ad nauseum; and it is standard at many other restaurants.

I happened to be sitting at the end of the bar when you walked in and noticed you. since i was to be leaving soon anyway, i thought it the chivelrous thing to do to get up and free my seat up for you. i motioned for you to come over and take my seat, but you seemed disinterested; and you continued to stay by the hostess stand. the seat remained empty for the 5 minutes I stood there before leaving.

I am sorry that you felt neglected; we never want a customer to leave feeling as if they have been wronged in some way. please come back, so palena can make it up to you.

jonathan

I did take the seat and was immediately asked to leave by the woman sitting next to it who was waiting for a friend. Such is life... As I said on the etiquette thread, the policy is unevenly enforced and not comparable to other places we frequent. We'll be back. We always go back. Ann's desserts are too good and the crack in the burger makes it impossible to stay away.

Had dinner in the bar on Saturday night, was craving the burger.

Started with The Eleanor, a very crisp and refreshing Champagne Cocktail w/ blood orange juice, though immediately wished I had ordered the Sidecar. Ordered the Broccoli Raviolini w/ Mussels and the Burger, +1 had the Polpetti with meatballs. Also added 2 glasses of the Jessie's Grove Zinfandel, which is a very tasty and reasonable option for a glass of red.

The Broccoli Raviolini and Mussels dish was the star, one of the best dishes I've had in '06. Huge, plump and fresh tasting mussels accompanied by little bundles of broccoli raviolini that were melt in your mouth good and chopped up broccolini heads scattered throughout. And the broth! Sopped up every last drop with the bread - I wish I was better at explaining flavors and could truly do this tomato-based broth justice - but all I can say is it was real good :P

Another thing that I haven't noticed being mentioned is the consistent deliciousness of the butter plate at Palena. I rarely butter my bread, but at Palena, it's rare when I don't just eat the butter by itself - nevermind the bread!

Polpetti was good but nothing special, just well-made pasta and okay meatballs. Sounded better on paper than it was on the palate, I thought.

As for the burger, I don't remember there being the layer of crumbled cheese? or cream cheese? or whatever it was on the bun opposite the one with the great mayo. It was too much for me - too rich, and to be honest, really took away from my impression of the burger as a whole. I finished half of it and forced myself to take another couple of bites. It really gave it a heaviness that I felt was unneccesary, and overpowerd the flavor of the meat. Next time I'm lookin to the burger, I'll be sure to request they leave out whatever this stuff was... I like mine with the medium rare meat and the mayo (and maaaybe sometimes just a touch of ketchup).

As for dessert, though I was hurtin' from the burger, I couldn't leave without something - so we got the cookie plate to take home. Another thing I haven't noticed being mentioned often - those caramels are ethereal. For someone who's more of a fruit person than a sweets person, to me it's almost worth the $9 alone just for those 2 caramels.

Anyway, on nights when I'm sad that Restaurant Eve and RTC aren't neighborhood jaunts for me, I reassure myself with the knowledge that I can easily go to the Bar at Palena whenever I'm looking for a great meal close to home. Love the food, love the desserts, love the being able to order from the whole menu at the bar, and love the great prices :D