Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

But for anyone that is on the metro, it definitely is right across the street from the stop which makes it convenient.

It's even more convenient than that! There's a metro entrance on the same side of the street too.

parked right on Conn Ave south of Ordley

Ordway

Only slight drawback was the service, it was on the slow side.

The pace at Palena has always been slow, but I think that has more to do with the kitchen than the servers. Everything is almost always worth waiting for, let me hasten to add.

Hi all, my first post here, hope its not something that has been covered before. I live in Cleveland Park and pass Palena almost daily. Unfortunately as a starving student I always figured it was out of my price range; however, the bar at Palena intrigues me, so I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to make a reservation at the bar, or does someone just walk up to the host desk and ask for a table at the bar.

2) In reference to the starving student comment above is it possible to have a nice meal for under $30 a person. I realize if wine is included this is almost impossible; however, my friends and I are not big drinkers so this isnt a problem.

3) What is the can't miss dish? I have heard a lot about the hamburger, but I think I'd rather go for something a little more "fancy".

Thanks!

Hi all, my first post here, hope its not something that has been covered before. I live in Cleveland Park and pass Palena almost daily. Unfortunately as a starving student I always figured it was out of my price range; however, the bar at Palena intrigues me, so I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to make a reservation at the bar, or does someone just walk up to the host desk and ask for a table at the bar.

2) In reference to the starving student comment above is it possible to have a nice meal for under $30 a person. I realize if wine is included this is almost impossible; however, my friends and I are not big drinkers so this isnt a problem.

3) What is the can't miss dish? I have heard a lot about the hamburger, but I think I'd rather go for something a little more "fancy".

Thanks!

I'm sure others will chime in. I paid about $40 last nite for a burger ($10), fries (a separate FULL plate of fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, rings, and lemons for $10); a beer ($5). I paid a bit more b/c of the extra fries we ordered. If you were to dump the booze, maybe get the roast chicken (which was HUGE for $12 or 15 I think) and is definitely gourmet from what I saw/hear, you can get below $30 with tax/tip. I can't remember the rest of the menu, however, but there are other gourmet choices

No reservations at the bar/cafe. If I can play Rainman, my recollection was there are about 10 spots at the bar with nice padded stools, 5 2-4 tops couch style tables, 6 2-tops (or can be pushed together); and 1 four top inside, along with about 5 tables (2 and 4-tops) outside. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, if I add that up, it seemed to be about room for 36 to 50 depending on how many squeeze.

Thanks

Nashman

Getting out for under $30 can be a little tough. If you go app/entree/dessert with water, might come to $30, not including tax or tip. It's worth the splurge if you ask me.

Can't miss- the chicken. Heaven!

Also, FWIW, I'm 5'6" and I found the bar way too high to be able to be seated and eat comfortably. I would've needed a phone book on the chair to make it work!

The Palena cafe is easily done on the cheap.

A few months ago, I went with a group of 6 and we ordered the cheese plate and fry plate (which is pretty big, IMO) to split as appetizers and each ordered a $10 entree from the cafe menu - along with a reasonably priced bottle of wine, our bill was roughly $25/person and we were stuffed!

Also, FWIW, I'm 5'6" and I found the bar way too high to be able to be seated and eat comfortably. I would've needed a phone book on the chair to make it work!
I agree with you on this. I'm 5'9" (on a good day) and find eating at the bar a little awkward.

I'm a good deal shorter than both of you but like the height of the bar. For me it works just fine. Yeah, it's a little tall but for some reason it works for me. I just wish they would put in hooks in to hold your bags. For me, that's the sign of a great bar.

Rocks is right. That Risi Bisi thing is absolutely divine. Peas, starch, eggs, truffles, what more needs to be said? Chef is showing his genius again. This dish will hold me until my tomato bread soup comes back :unsure:

Another not to be missed is the beet salad. Beets, thinly sliced radishes of different varieties, a few greens, a piece of lime here and there and succulent, sweet lobster. A brilliant combination for a hot day.

As for the $30 meal-you can easily do it, but be careful of ordering off of the back room menu. That will quickly turn into an expensive, albeit well worth it, meal very quickly.

Considering that it is right at the Cleveland Park METRO stop, why bother to drive?
Too long. Easier to drive and we usually can find parking with a little effort.

Thanks!

I dine mostly in the back dining room, but the regular menu is (I think except for Mondays) available in the bar. I'd suggest anything with the word 'house cured', 'house made', 'made here by us', or other similar description. It usually rocks!

Too long. Easier to drive and we usually can find parking with a little effort.

True for you, but you do live somewhere out past Egypt. :unsure:

If you can get on the Red line easily without having to change, or live in DC proper, I'd say METRO it. Otherwise, you can usually find parking if you look (maybe not that easy on a Saturday evening)

$30/person is definitely doable if you skip the alcohol. Each item on the cafe menu is $10 except the chicken which is $12. There might be one other non-$10 item, but I don't remember. The chicken is absolutely wonderful with crisp but not tough skin, very juice, and wonderful flavors. Of course the burger is great as well, but if you're trying to stay away from the burger go with the chicken. If there's more than one of you, split a fry plate between two of you. It'd keep the cost down and frankly the fry plate is a bit big for just one person I think. I mean, I definitely could eat an entire one because it's wonderful, but I know I probably shouldn't. The only bad thing about splitting is that there's an odd number of fried lemons and fried (mashed potato?) so you have to fight over them :-) Man those fried Meyer lemons were good. Who'd a thought?

The patry chef (Ann Amernick) is everybit as talented as the Executive Chef (Frank Ruta) so passing on dessert could be difficult. To keep within that $30 (including tax and tip) you may have to split a dessert... Which would be a damn shame. However, not splitting dessert you'd probably come out to around $36-$38 or so after tax (what is DC tax now, 45%?) and a decent tip which is pretty close to $30/person.

The one time I was there I believe the bill was $180-$200 I believe after tax and tip, including 4 entrees (2 burgers, 2 chickens), 4 desserts, 2 fry plates, a bottle of the Gigondas and 2 beers. Not bad at all. One thing to keep in mind is that the chicken does require 45 minutes to prepare.

One thing to keep in mind is that the chicken does require 45 minutes to prepare.

To me, this would make it exceedingly difficult to forego alcohol. As Rodney Dangerfield immortally asked in "Easy Money", what do people do when they ain't gettin' loaded?

Thank you so much everybody for the wonderful advice. I've only posted on this board once and I already feel like part of the family. I guess it really is true how food can bring people together.

All I can say is that I am sitting here salivating. Unfortunately I am working in NY over the summer, and only head back to DC for various random weekends, but when I am back I definitely know where I will be going. The fry plate sounds divine, and I cant wait to taste those fried meyer lemons, I cant even imagine what they would taste like. As for entrees I guess I'll just have to convince whomever I am with to share what they order with me, but from what I hear its not likely that I am going to want to give them any of my roast chicken.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will be sure to post a report when i finally get to try it all.

Seth

RISI BISI

A little whimzy,

I feel so jizzy,

I’m getting dizzy

My hair is frizzy

from da rizzy,

Da housz is bizzy

get him a chizzy,

I’ll take his seatzy

I got a car,

a sideways car,

rims of suga,

my orange yuga.

It soundz so izzzy,

I’m in a tizzy.

Green peaz n’ rizzy?

Oh, yizzy, my jizzy.

Fo’ shizzy.

Riddle me-

izzy.

My truffle score,

Just gimme more

Yo coddled egg,

my name is Meg.

Charceuterie?

To bootery.

Muscovy duck,

I won’t say fuck.

But it’s the shizzy.

You best not mizzy.

What more to say?

Frank makes our day,

sun shining ray,

So, Arrity, yo rarity,

it ain't fairity.

We'll miss ya, kay

* Read not deep into this missive.

:unsure:

Did you know that the most popular president in U.S. history according to the most recent Gallop poll is Ronald Reagan? ?? Do you know why, though? Because he was a great entertainer and he knew what was for dinner. That made him a more likeable guy. Anyway, what I meant to say is that the risi bisi and the charceuterie are up there with the best dishes I've had at Palena (which to me means: I'd have to fly to far away places and spend money I don't have to make the right comparaisons). Where do you get your eggs, Frank? Those eggs the best eggs in the world.

The other day, my mother came to town from Philadelphia, and after reading so many fabulous posts about Palena...I had to try it out. We were very pleased. Even with her request for light/no salt, the kitchen was very accomodating.

I loved my beet and lobster salad. Yummy! :unsure:

This is one place I will definitely visit again!

I made my way to Palena after a crappy day that began with a car that wouldn't start, being late to two meetings as a result, lousy coffee at Mayorga and it just went from there. Mr. BLB has been working crazy hours and I needed a pick me up.

I had a good but not great meal at Palena tonight.

I started with a sidecar--just what I needed.

Next up was the risi bisi. I thought it was a great concept but so oversalted that it was hard to finish it. And I like salt. A lot.

I then had the taglitelle with rabbit--I've loved this dish previously but again someone in the kitchen was too generous with the salt.

Dessert--how to describe perfection? How to describe something that makes me want to steal back to Palena every night? The chocolate chocolate chip ice cream sandwich is bloody wonderful. It's everything I love about Ann Amernick on a plate. The ice cream was perfect. The two cookies were amazing. The little dab of fudge sauce was almost overkill but wasn't. Seriously, it made me sad for the days of the bakery again.

I was home in time to watch Big Brother.

Jennifer

palena is the only place i know that will encourage you to finish your meal by sipping lemon juice through a peppermint stick, and it really works. i had never heard of this before, but suppose it is one of the ways they amuse themselves at the white house in the summer.

i knew it was too good to last:

http://washingtonian.com/chats/dining.html

Here's the remark from Kliman, for those who don't follow the link:

Ruta and Ann Amernick, the owners of the three-and-a-half star Cleveland Park restaurant ("100 Very Best Restaurants," January), are ready to sign a lease to take over the Westinghouse Mansion in Dupont within the next year.

As Ruta indicated earlier, the move to new digs spells the demise of the restaurant and cafe "as we know it."

i knew it was too good to last
So did I, but still... Congratulations to Mr. Ruta and Ms. Amernick! However, for for purely selfish reasons I'm really disappointed- Now I won't be able to walk (as easily) to the Cafe. :unsure:

For those, like me, not familiar with the Westinghouse joint:

Head west around the circle, with its pigeons, checker players and self-appointed ministers, to the blood red Victorian palace at 2000 Massachusetts Ave. Built by "Slippery Jim" Blaine, thrice-failed contender for the presidency, insolvency eventually forced its sale to firmer fortunes. One of its subsequent owners, George Westinghouse, founder of Westinghouse Electric, lived there until his death in 1911.

Source

There should be a Slippery Jim cocktail, don't you think? :unsure:

i knew it was too good to last:

http://washingtonian.com/chats/dining.html

Well.....I am bummed and happy at the same time. When they move to Dupont, it'll make it that much more difficult to find parking. Yes, I can metro, but it takes longer. Bah!

I am sure the new place will be wonderful and great and I wish them the best in the move, but I can't not say that I'm a little bummed just because it's so convenient where it is now.

Oh well, as long as they are still around making otherworldly food, I am happy.

Anyone know the anticipated move date? I want to make sure I hit them in the soon to be old spot at least a few more times.

Look at it this way: the space Palena occupies now was once a Kenny Rogers Chicken joint, before that franchise disappeared. Now, it is moving to a very large, historic mansion. That it is within walking distance of me has no significance. :unsure:

Seriously, it will have more seating and get far more attention.

Beats going out of business, don't ya think?

I'm too upset to think of something witty to say. Their take away cheeseburgers got me through grad school. Chef's tomato bread soup taught me to love tomatos. The cheese plate taught me to love epoisse. Derek's drinks, back in the day, was my favorite way to get drunk. Sigh, I will be sitting shivah at the bar before it is gone....

I'm too upset to think of something witty to say. Their take away cheeseburgers got me through grad school. Chef's tomato bread soup taught me to love tomatos. The cheese plate taught me to love epoisse. Derek's drinks, back in the day, was my favorite way to get drunk. Sigh, I will be sitting shivah at the bar before it is gone....
REALLY. It'll be a heartbeat from the Dupont Circle Metro. What could be better????

IF this is true (and it seemed to come straight from the Ruta's mouth), I suspect the whole "concept" of Palena will change and the comment quoted says as much. In that location, I predict a higher-end restaurant. No more reasonable cafe to make Average Joes with average salaries drop their dough at the bar.

Just my guess.

IF this is true (and it seemed to come straight from the Ruta's mouth), I suspect the whole "concept" of Palena will change and the comment quoted says as much.

Not so fast, not so fast...

expect some clarification coming down the pipeline in the near future.

while we are waiting --

next to a gas station may not be the ideal location. however, i think i have figured out that if palena does move into the mansion, it will most likely be occupying space that served for years and years as the office of my eye doctor, the renowned dr. day. in other words, this may turn out to be a myopic decision, if what was revealed yesterday is true, and it is going to take a whole lot of scrubbing to dispel the quirky karma that undoubtedly lingers there to this day.

Hot off the ePress, which is to say, the Sietsema chat:

Washington, D.C.: Hi Tom!

What have you heard about the probable Palena move in the near future?

Tom Sietsema: "News to me," says Frank Ruta, who, as Palena's chef, should know.

Palena still has five years to go on its current lease, Ruta tells me, and even if it didn't, there are several obstacles in the way of any imminent move.

One of them is a liquor license: Good luck trying to secure one in Dupont Circle, which is where an investor in Palena recently bought a building, Blaine Mansion, setting off the "Palena is moving" rumors. Another is the property's historic status; and still a third reason Palena won't be relocating anytime soon is the chef's commitment to doing things the right way -- slowly and deliberately, never rashly.

the owners . . . are ready to sign a lease to take over the Westinghouse Mansion in Dupont within the next year.
"Ready to sign a lease" is not the same thing as signing a lease. Especially if there are such contingencies attached as being able to get a liquor license and building permits. It seems a safe bet that Palena ain't going anywhere anytime soon. At least not to the Westinghouse Mansion.

Extra small menu tonight at Palena, and Arrity has by now moved on to the West Coast (a few weeks ago now) so I met her replacement, Christopher.

The cafe menu featured just six items, pretty much the oldies but goodies (burger, chicken, salad, hot dog, fries and cheese plate). Even the prix fix menu was brief - three first courses, three seconds and four mains. I was a bit disappointed, really, but the burger and cheese plate were both as good as ever.

Still, I wonder where the selection went. Too busy responding to frantic inquiries about "the move to Dupont"?

New Orleans Birthday Girl: "Is this a fried LEMON?"

New Orleans College Girl: "Oh my god--I think these are fried mashed potatoes."

New Orleans Birthday Girl: "I thought we had fried everything back home!"

(palena, as usual, serving up a home-run last night...)

I have a recurring (day)dream in which chefs Cathal Armstrong and Frank Ruta vie for my affections with similar, yet entirely different, dishes.

"I know!" says the one, "I shall woo her with a sweet corn soup!"

"Aha!" says the other, unaware of the first, "she'll adore a sweet corn soup!"

And I, ever the diplomat, could never pick one above the other. "Gentlemen," I sigh, "You'll just have to try again."

Chef Armstrong's sweet corn veloute has already been described on the Eve thread. Tonight I had Chef Ruta's chilled sweet corn soup. Two similar sounding dishes, with the same main ingredient, but two entirely different tastes altogether. Ruta's creation managed somehow to be rich and refreshing at the same time, with small hunks of crab meat and avocado. Luscious. Wonderful.

Which is better? I canna say. Apples and oranges. If pushed, I'd admit that whichever one is in front of me at the moment is my favorite.

PS - note on the door of Palena says they'll be closed Mondays through August. At least, I think that's what it said. (I'm one Manhattan shy of full cognition just now.) Please correct if I'm wrong.

Can someone help out a Palena virgin? After all the good things I've heard, I'm considering trying it for a celebratory dinner, but since the budget is not unlimited, I'd like to know what I'm in for. Does the main dining room offer a la carte, or is it all fixed price tasting menus? If so, what's the approximate price structure?

I'd also love some feedback on what types of dishes are currently on the menu and if there's anything that's a can't-miss.

(By the way, I wouldn't have to ask these questions if Palena had a decent website. They have to be a contender for the worst website thread. A menu from Winter 2003?? Please!)

PS - note on the door of Palena says they'll be closed Mondays through August. At least, I think that's what it said. (I'm one Manhattan shy of full cognition just now.) Please correct if I'm wrong.

No, that was the sign we saw. Looks like we were there at the same time as you. We got there at 5:30 and left around 7:15. Sat at the "booth" closest to the formal area.

Can someone help out a Palena virgin? After all the good things I've heard, I'm considering trying it for a celebratory dinner, but since the budget is not unlimited, I'd like to know what I'm in for. Does the main dining room offer a la carte, or is it all fixed price tasting menus? If so, what's the approximate price structure?

I'd also love some feedback on what types of dishes are currently on the menu and if there's anything that's a can't-miss.

(By the way, I wouldn't have to ask these questions if Palena had a decent website. They have to be a contender for the worst website thread. A menu from Winter 2003?? Please!)

the main dining room is three, four or five courses, and if you stick to three courses and a glass of wine, including tax and tip you are at roughly $100 a person, although you should start out with something from the drink menu, so add another $12. (i forget the starting price, maybe somewhere between $65 and $70 for three courses, and it goes up $10 or so for each additional course, arriving under $100; a full five courses would consist of two starters, an entree, cheese course and dessert, but i believe there is more flexibility than that, i.e, you could order two desserts if you wanted, or a string of the opening courses, which are the stars of the show.) the menu is constantly changing. corn soup with lobster and a king salmon salad were really good recently, as were peas and rice a bit earlier. soups, gnocchi and ravioli are always good and there seems to be a bit heavier emphasis on fish than meat. whatever is seasonal around here tends to show up. i think if you read upthread, that should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. or you could visit the cafe first, where everything in the back room is available, and get a better idea. for dessert, i like the cakes the best but cake isn't always on the menu and the dessert list is long. it would be hard not to find something. i have eaten here a number of times, usually at the cafe, and still never know exactly what to expect when i walk through the door. i have never left unhappy. if things every once in a while do go wrong, it usually starts out with the salt. this is a mood-altering place.

ahhh, Palena how sweet you are. Swung by around 8pm last night to a full house, after wedging ourselves in the bar and a glass of prosecco, we manged to score two seats. Bartender Chris was a little frazzled when we got there, but lightened up as the evening progressed. It was friend Matt's first Palena outting and I think he was suitable impressed.

we started out with an order of the lobster and king salmon cake. A small tasty treat with a ginger infused, tarragon, buttery, wipe the plate clean, sauce...was it worth it for $15...perhaps a little steep, but delicious none the less.

Next we went with a cheeseburger and the fries plate. Matt, "this might be the second best burger I've ever had" two bites later "No, no, this is the best burger I've ever had" nuff said. The fries plate was good, I thought the real winner was the fried lemon slices...but I'm a sucker for lemon.

We then segued into the an order of the chicken...lucious as all ways...I thought the spice mixture wasn't as well rounded as past chicken I've had at Palena, but it's just damn good chicken.

After giving some deep thought to the dessert menu, with nothing really jumping out at us, we left it in the hands of Bartender Chris. He gave a strong No to the cheese plate, the cheeses not handled to his liking, and we settled in for the Blueberry Cobbler. Now niether Matt nor I are big blueberry fans, but these were really good blueberries, a solid end to Matt's first Palena Experience