Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Ok, well, for starters, Obelisk. 5 courses about $55 at the start of the week, $65 on the weekend. Their cheeses are also more interesting than Palena's.

Then there's Komi, which I think now offers its 5 course menu for just under $60. And you can certainly eat 3 courses at Komi for less than $57.

Anyway, I hope I was clear that I'm not trying to downgrade Palena. After all, I dine there a few times a month. I'm just trying to understand better what's motivating its very devoted fans.

Edited by gks_eats_dc

Oh, I know, that's what I was trying to convey... that it seems like he's comparing apples to oranges.

So you wouldn't even put J or Z on a par with Palena's bar menu? Harsh!

Not being harsh at all, but the bar menu at Palena is not your normal bar menu. I stand by my statement.

It's been too long since I've dined at Palena, but I must confess, I am a devoted fan of the food. GKT eats DC, your description of the food doesn't give me a full impression of your experience. Soggy fries, I agree, are unpleasant. But words such as 'decent', 'good', and 'not thrilling' can be vague. Why did you think the burger "wasn't particularly fantastic"?

I haven't had this recent mushroom soup, but I have had their black trumpet mushroom soup with a coddled egg. The intensity, clarity, and balance of flavor achieved without imparting heaviness was worth every penny and more. Looking upon the dish as "soup for $10" does sound expensive. [Price comparing, you are bound to find less expensive soups.] Marrying such complex flavors--and I'm thinking of others soups he has offered as well-- without coming across as overdone, disjointed, or muddy requires incredible skill. Frankly, I don't believe a such an accomplished dish deserves the statement, any soup at $10 is too much.

And that's not mentioning the gnocchi or salads.

Any restaurant may not be "on point' all the time, but Frank et al is certainly capable of it...that level of skill for $10 or less? Impressive.

I haven't had the chicken, so I can't comment on that, but count me as one who doesn't care for the burger. And you can read through the rest of this thread for my thoughts on the fry plate. :lol: Different strokes and all that.

In general I've had better luck with sitting in the cafe and ordering from the regular menu - the cooking is consistently original and interesting. And the service has been OK, even the time we loudly demanded ketchup for the fry plate after a few cocktails. That said, it wasn't the kind of service I'd be willing to pay $80-100 for. Is there a separate wait staff for the back room?

BTW, does the 3 course include dessert or is it a first, second, and main from the regular menu?

the 3-course is whichever 3 you'd like it to be - first, second & dessert; first, main & dessert; first, second, & main; second, main & dessert; you get the point.

I'd like to throw my two cents in to this discussion. However, in the interest of full disclosure: I am a former employee of Palena, but had been a customer for quite awhile before my employment and have been back several times to dine since. So some people might say I am biased, BUT at the same time, I've gotten to try many more dishes than the average diner. (heheheh, lucky me :lol: ) However, I am writing based on my experiences as a diner, both pre- and post-employment. ( in addition, although setting, service, wine, etc are all parts of a dining experience, my post is solely concerned with the food.)

anyway,

Unlike Nadya, the Palena burger IS the burger that undid me. I am not a burger-eater and have not found many that I like, but (when I was still just a customer) I regularly devoured half of my SO's burger before finally smartening up and ordering my own. I also don't often order chicken when I go out, but from the first time I reluctantly chose it, Frank's roasted chicken was full of complex flavors - and so juicy that you could drink what was left on the plate if you were so inclined. I was never reluctant to order his chicken again. And the pastas - I can only think of two other places in DC where I've found pastas with simultaneous structure and tenderness (not mushy or chewy or crunchy). The gnocchi and the ravioli in particular are simply perfection. As far as the fry plate, the dauphines are incredible, but I'm not a fan of the lemons. However, I think everything else I've had at Palena has been fantastic.

I love Zaytinya, and like Jaleo, but I would consider Palena in an entirely different league when it comes to the food. My SO and I are regular diners at Zaytinya, and the check is usually about $50-$60/person (pre-tax and tip) - and that's with one glass of wine, maybe two. So the prices are comparable, and Zaytinya's dishes are solid, but not eyes-rolling-back-in-your-head good.

Of course a restaurant is going to have a few misses. Of course there are going to be some nights on which everything falls apart - its the chaotic nature of the restaurant industry. It sucks when that happens to be the night that you're dining there, i know. But overall, I agree that Palena is one of the best restaurant in DC, and given the cafe prices, a fantastic deal.

Edited by LittleWing

The button mushroom soup is amazing. Who knew you could get that much flavor out of those little mushrooms??? Wow!

The botillo (house cured corned beef and veal tongue) was nice but it won't be haunting my dreams like the soup.

Finished with the choocolate napolean. I love Ann.

It was the perfect quick meal at the bar before I headed off to yet another board meeting.

Just to add more gushing to the button mushroom soup fan club. I was there on Monday night, sick as a dog, and in need of some comfort food. That soup hit the spot. The texture was so fine, almost like a foam, but quite rich, with drops of goodies on the bottom of the plate. And the chicken, of course, is the Frank Ruta chicken, what else can you add? That was my last full meal before the cold annihilated my appetite - don't say it didn't go out with a bang...

FYI-for those of you who were hoping to grab a bite in the front room Tuesday night and avoid all the V-day diners you are out of luck.  The whole restaurant is going to be the tasting menu that night and it sounds like they are completely full :lol:

Actually, I meant to tell you when you were in tonight, we'll still have some limited availability in the Cafe on V-day. We'll be offering the Cafe menu at the small tables in the window area and at the bar.

I nominate Chef Frank Ruta’s version of scallops and bacon to be the first inductee into the Scallops and Bacon Hall of Fame, if such an institution ever comes to exist, which I admit is unlikely.

Nonetheless, here is the menu description of the soon-to-be acclaimed dish:

Pairing of Our Own Bacon and Diver Harvested Maine Sea Scallops, with glazed radishes, a potato cake, spinach and a juniper froth.

Since Palena house-made bacon is essentially a generous cube of pork belly, the traditional preparation of scallops and bacon - a strip of bacon wrapped around a scallop - is not what’s happening here. Instead, in a beautiful presentation, a large, perfectly seared scallop perches on the plate next to the bacon, accompanied by the crisp potato cake, tiny pearl onions and the aforementioned glazed radishes, spinach and juniper froth, which sort of floats above and around it all.

Take your time eating this dish, for you will want it to last a long, long time. It is possible you will feel a bit crestfallen, possibly teary eyed, as you approach your last bite. Vow to return soon, perhaps later that evening, to order the dish again.

Other highlights of our dinner in the café:

Spinach and Pine Nut Ravioli, with a coddled organic hen egg and a Roman inspired sauce of celery and raisins. The delicate pasta and the savory-sweet sauce, with a bit of a spicy kick to it, would be delectable by itself, but the coddled egg puts this dish over the top.

(By the way, both Chef Ruta and Chef Johnny Monis of Komi are masters at making the ideal coddled egg. As a rule, when dining at either Palena or Komi, if you see a dish on the menu featuring a coddled egg, order it and you will be happy.)

Grilled Pennsylvania Raised Lamb with cocos beans and green sauce. Two delicious, tender lamb chops, cooked to a perfect medium rare, with a generous serving of white beans (the kind traditionally used in cassoulet, I think.)

Penne with meatballs. A classic we cannot resist, especially on a cold night.

(The scallops-and-bacon and the ravioli each were in the ‘second course’ section of the main menu. The lamb and the penne were on the café menu.)

Someone else needs to post so it's not all my gushing page to page.

But Palena last night!!! You know, every time you think you have it all figured out, and can say with authority, "Ruta is a genuis with pasta," or "Ruta is a genuis with house-made succulent meats", something else comes out of that MagicLab . And you start gushing all over again. And pretty soon every major food group is covered.

So, last night. My friend was not terribly hungry.

"I'll just have the gnocchi," he said.

I remember that gnocchi. Fluffy pillows scattered with delicious crumbs of Castelmagno with a kick of sweet balsamic. Heavenly bliss in the mouth.

"Good choice," I said. "I'll have the oxtail."

(I can always steal some of your gnocchi.)

That oxtail should have been an illustration to a chapter in the food dictionary expounding on the popular belief that the sweetest meet is the closest to the bone. Braised for a hundred hours with fingerling potatoes, pine nuts and raisins, what lands on your plate are three solid slabs of bone with generous chunks of sweet meat still clinging to the nooks and crevices. Carving it out is a huge part of the fun. Mopping the plate for remaining bits of seasoning is even more fun.

And as many dishes that come out of that kitchen, this one packs all the deftness of execution and great ingredients in one homey, comfortable plate that could have been your mum's doing.

Except much, much, much better.

And if not for the rules governing behavior of young ladies in public places, I would have nibbled and licked on that bone until it was white and shiny.

My allegedly non-hungry friend, halfway done with his gnocchi (I'm sorry, halfway done? means I actually ate the other half...not that he lingered), watched me with fascination.

"You know...this food looks so good. I think I'll have something else."

"Of course. Silly you. Have the rabbit."

(Why the rabbit? Oh, I contemplated ordering it in the first place.)

The rabbit came as a glistening thick slice of rilette with coarsely ground bits of meat and fat wrapped in more meat and fat. Prettily offset with some greens and grainy mustard, that dish was too small for two, but I did steal a bite to confirm what I've already known: Ruta is a genuis with house-made succulent meats. The kitchen was tiffing it big time.

Finally, the cookie plate has been updated and now sports a very voidy almond meringue dusted with slivers of nuts with a slightly chewy middle.

And if you must go, please pick a friend who doesn't like desserts.

Because then, you know, you can get all three that come to a plate.

Which would be my recommendation.

All in all, another perfect evening, just-right portions of beautiful food, lovely service, and hurry home to watch the free dance.

I wouldn't want my Mondays to be anything else.

Would you?

Edited by Nadya

OK, went to Palena last night for a late meal on the cafe side and I must say that the service (that I usually compain about) is becoming consistanly better! The last two servers I've had (Scott and Jerome) were both VERY professional and REALLY knew their food!

So now, until further notice, I am singing the praises of Palena once again.

Yummy food and odd service quirks at Palena last night.

The food:

the canderli are back! Wonderful, amazing. Seriously heavy food though. No room for dessert.

The chicken liver parfait--light, tasty and a very small portion since we were sharing.

The quirks:

The parfait came first though I had asked for it second. Palena also usually splits plates when I say we're going to split it. (Unless it has a coddled egg that can't be split.) No such splitting this time.

Our waiter took the bread away without a word--when I asked he said it was to refill it. Okay, but say that then! Don't swoop in and take my bread away before any food has been served. (There was also gracious plenty bread left but if they want to give me more bread...)

Uneven application of the "rule" about not sitting parties until everyone is there. Now I know this is a common complaint at Palena but in 2+ years of going every few weeks, I've never had to wait to be seated until Mr. BLB shows up (or vice versa since he usally gets the table while I park.) Until last night. (9 empty tables when I arrived) Interestingly after we were seated, together, another table that was already seated was joined by the second member of their party, and another table had one member seated with the other trailing beyond by several minutes. C'est la vie.

No gnocchi on the menu.... <_<

Jennifer

Did you find the bread to be better than it used to be?  I commented on that to Arrity last week and she said a new guy in the kitchen is making it.

Not really, but I wasn't paying that much attention. It did seem to be crumbier. I did like that the slices seem smaller--it made me feel better about eating as many as I did. It felt like less somehow!

Jennifer

Did you find the bread to be better than it used to be?  I commented on that to Arrity last week and she said a new guy in the kitchen is making it.

Ate at the Cafe last night. Indeed, the bread is better. I found it to be more firm, less dry, and wheat...Besides bread, we had the Cafe Salad and the penne. The lamb meatballs are tender and full of flavor. The penne is fine. Incidentally, watching the crowd at the bar last night overflow into the dining room, I began to think that restaurants should pay more mind to the problem of traffic. The layout of a place should aim to minimize the discomfort of both the diner and the person waiting for a table. A couple weeks ago, I ate at 2 Amys, and the problem there is notorious: rows at the bar about 5 people thick, all spilling into the dining areas. It's not really a pleasant way to enjoy a meal, is it?

I can't wait for Palena tomorrow! A final hurrah at Palena. I'm kinda glad I don't live nearby as I'd be eating their wonderful burger and fry plate at least once a week. I wonder what pasta they'll have on the menu - maybe I'll be greedy and get the pasta, burger and the fry plate. Hmmmm.

I love Palena but my only gripe is that I wish the portions on the cheese plate were bigger than the little smidges of cheese they give out. I need more that just the wee bit that's on the plate. Then again, I am known for being an eater...

Quick dinner at Palena tonight. Second one this week...a friend is in town. Transcript follows:

Us: We'll have the "steak and eggs, please"

Waiter: Any appetizers?

Us: No thanks.

Waiter: Would you like to share a salad?

Us: No, we're fine.

Waiter: Any wine?

Us: No.

---during the meal---

Waiter: Can I get you any wine or beverage?

---

Does this seem right? It was totally obnoxious. Sometimes I want 4 dishes from the Cafe, sometimes I want one. Just let it go. In contrast to lunch at Corduroy, where Ferhat gave insanely kind service with a free ice cream at the end...

Quick dinner at Palena tonight.  Second one this week...a friend is in town.  Transcript follows:

Us:  We'll have the "steak and eggs, please"

Waiter: Any appetizers?

Us: No thanks.

Waiter:  Would you like to share a salad?

Us:  No, we're fine.

Waiter:  Any wine?

Us:  No.

---during the meal---

Waiter:  Can I get you any wine or beverage?

---

Does this seem right?  It was totally obnoxious.  Sometimes I want 4 dishes from the Cafe, sometimes I want one.  Just let it go.  In contrast to lunch at Corduroy, where Ferhat gave insanely kind service with a free ice cream at the end...

GKS,

The only great service I've ever had at Palena were from Scott and Jerome. You HAVE to request either of them to have an enjoyable evening with the service. I've been going there for years and these two are the only servers that I would recommend!

In all fairness, I'd say Palena service is usually correct, though not terrific. I think we've discussed the issue on this thread before. But there is one waiter in particular, I won't single the person out, but this waiter has just never been a very engaging ambassador for the restaurant.

I don't know, one single check back to make sure you're still OK on the beverage front doesn't seem like the hard sell to me. Sometimes people change their minds, start having fun, decide maybe a glass of whatever isn't such a bad idea after all. Likewise the perfunctory attempt at an upsell on apps and salad. He/she asked, you said no thanks, that was it. Unless you were somehow sneered/sniffed/smirked at, it doesn't seem to rise to the level of a technical foul.

I don't know, one single check back to make sure you're still OK on the beverage front doesn't seem like the hard sell to me. Sometimes people change their minds, start having fun, decide maybe a glass of whatever isn't such a bad idea after all. Likewise the perfunctory attempt at an upsell on apps and salad. He/she asked, you said no thanks, that was it. Unless you were somehow sneered/sniffed/smirked at, it doesn't seem to rise to the level of a technical foul.

I'd like to believe that, but I've had many meals at many restaurants in my life--even many meals at Palena--and this was just a little too much. The appetizer-salad-wine combo was a little more than a polite check that we haven't forgotten what else we might like to eat. It's not a huge deal, I guess, but it just shouldn't happen at Palena.

By the by, the chicken was unavailable tonight. [edited for mhberk's sake]

I'd like to believe that, but I've had many meals at many restaurants in my life--even many meals at Palena--and this was just a little too much.  The appetizer-salad-wine combo was a little more than a polite check that we haven't forgotten what else we might like to eat.  It's not a huge deal, I guess, but it just shouldn't happen at Palena.

Was it "not a huge deal", as you describe it now? Or was it, as you described it earlier, "totally obnoxious," ie enough to take a public shot at the restaurant over?

I lean towards Stretch on this one.

Was it "not a huge deal", as you describe it now?  Or was it, as you described it earlier, "totally obnoxious," ie enough to take a public shot at the restaurant over?

I lean towards Stretch on this one.

Waitman,

I think that's a little unfair. First, DR.com should be a forum where people who are enthusiastic about dining out can freely and politely discuss their experiences, good or bad. I wouldn't say I took "a shot" at Palena--am I suggesting that anyone not eat there on account of my experience; wasn't I even offering Palena a compliment when I said I wouldn't expect this sort of thing there?

Second, anytime a waiter's behavior causes diners discomfort, even after the diners use whatever they can (eg, tone of voice) to let the waiter know to modify his or her method a bit, that constitutes, to my mind, something obnoxious. Do you not agree? I said it "wasn't a big deal" simply because I'm not about to stop eating at Palena just because of an incident like this, which is in the grand scheme relatively minor. I don't think I needed to wait to be told, "Order more and raise your tab!" before thinking the service wasn't as casual as it should have been...

Waitman,

I think that's a little unfair.  First, DR.com should be a forum where people who are enthusiastic about dining out can freely and politely discuss their experiences, good or bad.  I wouldn't say I took "a shot" at Palena--am I suggesting that anyone not eat there on account of my experience; wasn't I even offering Palena a compliment when I said I wouldn't expect this sort of thing there? 

Second, anytime a waiter's behavior causes diners discomfort, even after the diners use whatever they can (eg, tone of voice) to let the waiter know to modify his or her method a bit, that constitutes, to my mind, something obnoxious.  Do you not agree?  I said it "wasn't a big deal" simply because I'm not about to stop eating at Palena just because of an incident like this, which is in the grand scheme relatively minor.  I don't think I needed to wait to be told, "Order more and raise your tab!" before thinking the service wasn't as casual as it should have been...

I'm searching the first post in an effort to find any point to it other than trashing the service as "totally obnoxious," -- arguably an accurate, but certainly not a constructive bit of criticism. You will find that I have no objection whatsoever to doing that (and, indeed, did it to Palena). But it is certainly a shot.

And, PS, I don't agree that "anything that causes a diner discomfort" is obnoxious, much less "totally" obnoxious. Too broad an excused for any thin-skinned diner to complain. The guy was just doing his job.

Absolutely with gks on this. I think it is safe to say that most who post on this board are experienced eaters and we can trust each other's sense on a good or bad experience.

I think gks is experiencing the "pack mentality" that was brought up in some of the discussions ealier this month for "popular" restaurants on this board.

Absolutely with gks on this.  I think it is safe to say that most who post on this board are experienced eaters and we can trust each other's sense on a good or bad experience.

I think gks is experiencing the "pack mentality" that was brought up in some of the discussions ealier this month for "popular" restaurants on this board.

I strongly disagree that what we are witnessing here is a display of the alleged pack menality. I too have provided negative posts about Palena in the past and my most recent visit made me wonder what all of the fuss was about, especially with regard to the chicken.

What stretch and waitman have a problem with is gratuitious negativity. We've seen the descriptiion of the service on the evening in question migrate from "totally obnoxious" to "a little more than a polite check" to "not a huge deal." This is a public forum and people will see what you wrote and perhaps take it into account when deciding whether to dine at Palena. I think what stretch and waitman advocate is judiciousness when printing something negative. The iniital "totally obnoxious" remark seems to have been an overstatement.

It's been too long since I have been to Palena. I think I was last there in July or maybe earlier. I am going with my wife tonight to treat my father and his wife to a nice dinner out.

Anyone been in the last coupld of weeks that can enlighten what's new on the menu? We're going tonight.

Can I still be part of the group if I say that Palena's burger failed to knock me on my ass?

This past Saturday I was in need of serious comfort food and visited Palena -- the second time in four days -- for the burger and "the best Manhattan I have ever had." (For a Saturday night it was pretty empty, probably due to the NCAA finals.) The burger really hit the spot. I really do wish they had fries or some other side dish to accompany it. On my previous visit I didn't quite care for the fry plate; the frying oil seemed old. Oh! and I did have a chocolate eclair with a chocolate cream. Quite yummy. But, I'm sure it was the burger that lifted my mood. <_<

Last night, Palena was luscious. I took a first-timer and he too was impressed (particularly with the Jessie's Grove Zin - I think he had four glasses).

I started with the chick pea soup with andouille and lobster; my friend had the lobster bisque with scallops. The soups come out looking strangely similar, but taste quite different. Both, though, are Delicious with a capital D. This isn't the first time Palena's food made me swipe the dish with a piece of bread. <_<

For entrees, he had the chicken (loved it - but duh) and I had the nettle (nettles again!!) gnocchi. My dish showed up looking different than as it was described on the menu but hey, I trust Chef Ruta. Loved the guanciale. I think there was castelmagno cheese in there too.

Between all of that food and two (or three) glass of wine, I was too full for dessert.

Last night, Palena was luscious.  I took a first-timer and he too was impressed (particularly with the Jessie's Grove Zin - I think he had four glasses).

I started with the chick pea soup with andouille and lobster; my friend had the lobster bisque with scallops.  The soups come out looking strangely similar, but taste quite different.  Both, though, are Delicious with a capital D.  This isn't the first time Palena's food made me swipe the dish with a piece of bread.  <_<

For entrees, he had the chicken (loved it - but duh) and I had the nettle (nettles again!!) gnocchi.  My dish showed up looking different than as it was described on the menu but hey, I trust Chef Ruta.  Loved the guanciale.  I think there was castelmagno cheese in there too. 

Between all of that food and two (or three) glass of wine, I was too full for dessert.

Damn! Where we you sitting?

It was a last minute decision and there was parking nearly by the front door... We were in the hallway--enjoying Mr. BLB's cheeseburger, my raviolini (more please...), the espresso ice cream sandwich and the eclair.... Got there around seven and left just after 8.

I think these two Jennifer's aren't meant to meet!

Sigh....

Jennifer

Perhaps I should've read through the thread before posting this, but am I remembering correctly that Palena Cafe serves lunch on Saturdays? Paninis and stuff of that sort? I am thinking of heading to the Uptown (for the first time! finally!) tomorrow for a 1:00 movie and was thinking about lunch in the area. How expensive is their lunch menu?

Damn! Where we you sitting?

It was a last minute decision and there was parking nearly by the front door... We were in the hallway--enjoying Mr. BLB's cheeseburger, my raviolini (more please...), the espresso ice cream sandwich and the eclair....  Got there around seven and left just after 8.

I think these two Jennifer's aren't meant to meet!

Sigh....

Jennifer

In and out in just over an hour?! I am not sure I could do that unless under duress.

Perhaps I should've read through the thread before posting this, but am I remembering correctly that Palena Cafe serves lunch on Saturdays?  Paninis and stuff of that sort?  I am thinking of heading to the Uptown (for the first time! finally!) tomorrow for a 1:00 movie and was thinking about lunch in the area.  How expensive is their lunch menu?

I believe you're thinking of Dino, which is about a block away from Palena.

I don't think Palena is open for lunch, but perhaps some of the Palen-aholics <_< can correct me if that's not true.

In and out in just over an hour?!  I am not sure I could do that unless under duress.

i don't think palena is open for lunch. it opens at 5:30.

your best bet is to go to a later show, or go to the national gallery for the 2:00 (?) screening of abel gance's "j'accuse," and then go to cleveland park.

After posting that I did read back through the thread and WAY back in August people were talking about the cafe being closed for Saturday lunch during August. That lead me to assume that it was open for Saturday lunch at other times. I'm still pretty sure it was Palena's paninis I heard about. But maybe I'm just going crazy <_<

We called Palena a little before 2 on Saturday because we couldn't remember whether lunch goes til 2 or 2:30... glad we called, because we were informed that there will be NO SATURDAY LUNCH for all of August.

Ha! I'm NOT crazy! But perhaps they no longer serve lunch.

The artichoke panini was incredible and the BLT panini was heaven.

Most of last summer they were open a couple of hours for lunch each Saturday. Unfortunately, in late July they said they were suspending their lunches for August, and never re-opened. (As a matter of fact that might be me that newfoodie was quoting above.)

Guess they decided it wasn't worth spending the money on staff and set-up and everything, but it is a damn shame, because those donuts sent me into the most awesome sugar coma of all time.

I made my first trip out to Palena last night. I was surprised at how few people there were - there was a table and seats at the bar (where we ate) immediately available when the two of us arrived (around 8), and emptied out fairly rapidly thereafter.

We started with cocktails and the fry plate, as recommended to us by the gentleman (and poster?) seated next to us. This was a great place to start, and their fried mashed potato puffs were indescribably good. I would gladly order an entire plate of those.

Then, we weren't entirely able to decide on our entrees, considering that at least half a dozen looked really good. So good, in fact, that during the process of narrowing down the selection, the phrase "it's just kobe style beef" was uttered. We weren't, however, able to choose between the oxtail raviolini, the chicken, and the cheeseburger. So, in a move that's probably not unfamiliar to most of you, we decided to do all three and bring home the leftovers.

Except there were no leftovers. The oxtail was excellent, not nearly as heavy as I expected it to be, and very flavourful. The chicken has been described at great length, and it deserves every bit of the praise it's gotten.

We ended the night by splitting the goat cheesecake with blood orange sorbet...and even after consuming everything listed above, I think there was only a bite left on the plate.

I was at the bar last night, as well, and believe I was sitting one stool away from you. Greetings.

I rarely go to Palena, but somehow or another, I wound up there last night, and boy am I glad I went. I had the burger a few years ago, and i've eaten some great burgers in the last 12 months (I am especially fond of the burger at Poste), but the Palena burger is out of this freakin' world. I know i'm preaching to the choir, but my gosh. I thought of returning tonight for a refill, but my waistline strongly suggested otherwise. I also had the refreshing cafe salad.

(Note to self: attend the nayda school of writing knock-your-socks-off food descriptions so that you have something to say other than "the salad was refreshing." :) )

What?

An intoxicating and almost mania-inducing remedy to regular old life, one that was weeks perhaps months overdue: that drug sold under the brand name PALENA (take two as often as possible). Tonight I shared it with a virgin, a dear friend who had only heard the whispers of my illness, my insatiable addiction and dependency on this haunt.

When we arrived at the fondling of 5:30- the doors had just barely opened. It’s strange being in there under the influence of daylight; almost counts as a sin in my unread book.

Bartender golden Scott, just hours out of recovery from his own birthday celebration (he, too, choose Palena), primed us with two naturally compelling sidecars. The rims are dusted with not just coarse brown sugar, but now with a fine-ground, almost powdered mixture of orange rind and the sugar.

To begin, we had the first course of smoked salmon paired with buffalo mozzarella (from Naples) with young romaine dressed in a caper dressing and warm asparagus foccacia. The delicate stripes of fish hugged a pillow of the most perfect mozzarella. Three bullets of romaine and it’s counterpart in a stick of focaccia laced in asparagus welcomed the flavors of spring and danced in the glory of a soft oil textured with friendly capers. Clean, yet begging the lonely basket of bread to quit his job and jump in.

Next we split the Spring Nettle Gnocchi with asparagus, fava beans and Castlelmagno cheese.

It reminded me of eating play dough as a kid; don’t get me wrong, that’s a very good thing. Like mint green blobs that I was dying to knead into snakes, thoughtfully plated with white asparagus tips and baby favas. Honestly, the dish was a decadent treat, but I’m now curious about Jonathan’s suggestion of the Piatto Unico Abruzzese (a complete plate of sheep’s ricotta cheese ravioli with Pennsylvannia raised young lamb braised in Abruzzese style sauce and an arugula salad), had I taken it. As far as gnocchi knows, mushrooms are sleeping: hello stalks and beans, happy season. It was a delightful dish to split and to consume slowly and deliberately between sips.

I had to show the Palena virgin The Chicken, which this time carried a side dish of borlotti beans marinati. No need for me to go hunting for regurgitated adjectives; you know how good it is. The side of beans were reved by lemon zest, perhaps garlic and several spices. Lovely, really, and belly-filling.

Decisions for dessert fell to these:

Lime and Passion fruit tartlett with almond Wellington ( a wonderfully clean, treatable dish; no better choice on a springy night when you’re already asleep in your own satisfaction)

&

A little Rhubarb and strawberry pie with vanilla ice cream and walnut crunch (an indulgence akin to Christmas, this one has the power to bring back memories of all sorts)

Thanks to Scott and Kelly for the lovely service and for the chance to taste some of Frank’s very own ‘03 (a unique Zin (blend?). Do tell more. I found it to be absolutely delicious.

Thank you,

PS: Fuck. Remind me not to post drunk. My weaknesses overflow like that muffin top over your beltline. I'm really not such a bad egg (with sausage and bacon and a stick of butter and your mama's Bible). Forgive.