Nadya

Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

I'm taking my girlfriend here for our 2 year anniversary on Tuesday. Any recommendations? I can't decide between the 5 and 9 course menu.

welcome Palaver.

Sounds good. It reminds me that I'm overdue for a trip across the river.

I'm taking my girlfriend here for our 2 year anniversary on Tuesday. Any recommendations? I can't decide between the 5 and 9 course menu.
Generally I find the 5 course dinner with the paired wine flight more than enough. I have had the 9 course (once!) and it's more than I can eat. YMMV. There is always a second dessert if you're still hungry after the 5 course.

Listen to Cathal Armstrong discuss how Restaurant Eve supports local farms in a July 28 interview on WETA-FM.

http://www.weta.org/theintersection/media/...TION_JULY28.mp3

During the segment (about 2/3 into the show), he mentions Eve's sweet corn soup, which I've had the pleasure of tasting in a couple of permutations this month (last night with poached lobster). It's deliciously cornographic!

The program also includes interviews with area aggies and Shoe Box Oven's Krishna Brown.

BFA

I arrived late to the Farmer's Market yesterday and saw Chef surrounded by his adoring fans...anyone ask him anything about Eammon's or what's new at Eve?

I arrived late to the Farmer's Market yesterday and saw Chef surrounded by his adoring fans...anyone ask him anything about Eammon's or what's new at Eve?

I wasn't there yesterday, but last time I was at Eve for lunch I heard about Eamonn's that they're just waiting on the city now--I guess that means occupancy permits.

I had the corn veloute as part of my Lickety Split last Thursday, and it was wonderful! Clams are out of season now, but still plenty of deliciousness on the menu. Chef mentioned to me that he had been down to Polyface Farms on Wednesday, about 3 hours each way, but worth it, he said.

A new addition to Todd's repertoire of fabulous cocktails: Millions of Peaches.

If you're a fan of the Pear of Desire, you must try this one. I probably won't get all of the details exact, but it goes something like this: Peach Stoli, peaches poached in sauterne with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla, topped with some peach air made from pickled peaches (with an olfactory reminiscence of the pickled air that tops the pickled martini) - finished off with a thin layer of foie gras (torchon I believe) on a peach brioche cracker. Similar instructions to the PoD - bite, sip, bite, sip - enjoy - Wow! Another delicious creation that incorporates the fresh flavors of what's in season.

There is also a new cocktail called "Melon Ball?" - I didn't try it (yet) but it is made with fresh cantaloupe juice, a touch of ginger, and Lillet Blanc.

Goodbye and Good Luck to Ronnie - We will miss you!!

When we chatted with him on Friday night, he mentioned that he had just perfected his recipes for the chipper. Can't wait to taste 'em!

He mentioned Eammons at the end of the tour -- if my mind isn't playing tricks on me, he said Eammon's should be open in one or two weeks.

He mentioned Eammons at the end of the tour -- if my mind isn't playing tricks on me, he said Eammon's should be open in one or two weeks.

I am gettting sick of the same old grub on this side of Alexandria - I'm counting the days.... :)

I had the corn veloute as part of my Lickety Split last Thursday, and it was wonderful! Clams are out of season now, but still plenty of deliciousness on the menu. Chef mentioned to me that he had been down to Polyface Farms on Wednesday, about 3 hours each way, but worth it, he said.
I had the corn veloute today - a hot soup on a day like today might not be everyone's choices, but it was good - really good. Creamy corn goodness.

I will definitely say Chef's trip to Polyface was worth it. I was fortunate enough to try some of the beef from Polyface today*, served as the highlight of a lovely salad. I noticed a difference in, or should I say, presence of, flavor in the meat (one I vaguely remember from beef that came from cows we had raised when I was a kid) that is a far cry from your usual store-bought beef. The texture is also more pronounced than what we might typically experience - some people might find it a bit on the chewy or tough side, but I didn't mind this. The oven roasted tomatoes that accompanied the salad were also unbelievably flavorful - what a difference quality and breeding makes! :)

*(well-timed as I've just finished the 'Industrial' part of Omnivore's Dilemma and am about to begin 'Pastoral')

Forgive me if my first post is not in the proper forum. I have been lurking for some time, and find you all to be a wealth of information - thank you.

I have a question about Restaurant Eve. I have been dying to go, but so far my budget has not allowed me (though I am saving up furiously). Is it worth just going to the bistro, or should I continue to save so that I can sit in the tasting room? Keep in mind that a trip to the bistro would set back any subsequent trip to the tasting room by several months.

Also, is the amount of food served in the tasting room comparable to that served from, say, Komi's tasting menu (which, after eating, nearly made me explode)? Just curious.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Forgive me if my first post is not in the proper forum. I have been lurking for some time, and find you all to be a wealth of information - thank you.

I have a question about Restaurant Eve. I have been dying to go, but so far my budget has not allowed me (though I am saving up furiously). Is it worth just going to the bistro, or should I continue to save so that I can sit in the tasting room? Keep in mind that a trip to the bistro would set back any subsequent trip to the tasting room by several months.

Also, is the amount of food served in the tasting room comparable to that served from, say, Komi's tasting menu (which, after eating, nearly made me explode)? Just curious.

Welcome to the board Plunk!

As a first run, if your location allows, you could try out the Lickety-Split lunch. A lot of us think it's one of the best deals in town. $13.50 for your choice of any 2 items from a pretty substantial list that always includes a soup, salad, and sandwich of the day. Then you can keep saving up for the Tasting Room, where you have a choice of 5 or 9 courses. I've had both and have left feeling very sated, but in a pleasant way, not to the point of 'exploding'. The courses are portioned and paced very nicely so that you will enjoy the experience and the food. The bistro offerings are just as good, and the room is very nice too, so it really depends how you want to spend your money and what sort of experience you're seeking.

I felt much more like exploding after an Eve tasting room dinner than I did after the tasting menu at Komi. It probably depends on which options you order, but I felt the food at Eve was richer and therefore more filling.

I'd give the Bistro a try, personally. Others' opinions may differ.

Well, the Bistro is wonderful, but if you really enjoy the tasting menu experience, I'd wait because it is such a special experience.

Meanwhile, why don't you treat yourself to a Lickey Split lunch? :)

The Lickety Split was going to be my suggestion, too -- any two courses off the lunch menu for $13.50!!! A deal that can't be beat. I'm already plotting in advance for the next time I can devour an Irish BLT. Mmmm. Mmmmeat.

I agree with the others about the lunch special. Sadly, from my office, Alexandria is the other end of the earth.

If I had to pick between the two rooms for dinner, I'd go with the Tasting Room. The Bistro is terrific, don't get me wrong. I've had a few meals there that are just as good as some of my favorite spots in Paris. But that's the issue - I find that traditional French bistro food can be a tad limiting. It is what it is. Eve does it flawlessly, but it is what it is.

If you are being good and saving up to pick one or the other, I'd go with the much more exciting Tasting Room menu. But if you particularly love bistro fare or are in the mood for it, then by all means experience the Bistro.

Is the Lickety Split lunch offered on the weekends?

This was my next question. I've read about the Lickety Split, but my office is too far away...

Thanks for the advice, too!

Is the Lickety Split lunch offered on the weekends?

I believe it is only offered during the week...

I'll be having dinner in the Bistro Room tonight... anyone have any suggestions of dishes that have been good lately?

I'll be having dinner in the Bistro Room tonight... anyone have any suggestions of dishes that have been good lately?
The pork belly is always good. Pay close attention to the daily specials. If the sweet veloute is availabe, I would recommend it.

Anything with pork. :)

ETA: Oops. I didn't see Jacques' post.

To be a little more helpful...if gnocchi is on the bistro menu, jump at the chance to order it.