Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Where do you go when you want a classic?

Temperance Hall or Stoney's have good ones (ask for cheddar at Stoney's; the default is American). Make sure to get both with bacon and tomato. I remember Stoney's fries as being lame, but the ones at Temperance Hall are somewhat crispy - get the ones with garlic.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Temperance Hall or Stoney's have good ones (ask for cheddar at Stoney's; the default is American). Make sure to get both with bacon and tomato. I remember Stoney's fries as being lame, but the ones at Temperance Hall are somewhat crispy - get the ones with garlic.

Cheers,

Rocks.

He's right. The fries at Stoney's are lame. But the super grilled cheese? Super.

(Similarly, the pastrami dee-lite is a delight. Ah, sandwiches at Stoney's...)

I know, I know, I should be hiding under a rock for saying this, but if I need a quick grilled cheese fix and I can't do it myself at home, 5 Guys does good grilled cheese. And they don't even blink when I ask to grilled onions and bacon and tomato.

Toldeo Lounge in Adams Morgan has some of the best grilled cheese I've ever tasted. On Wednesday evenings you can get a half price grilled cheese with onion rings or fried and I think it's about $2.50. They also have $2 Miller Lites on Wednesday so you can come away with a full stomach and a little buzz for pretty cheap. My mouth is watering just thinking about that sandwich.

The last two times that I've ordered a Super Grilled Cheese at Stoney's I left wondering if the cook was feeling a little stoney him or herself because my sandwich was served to me with a cold middle. There is nothing super about uneven meltage in a grilled cheese, people!!

The Diner in AdMo is where I go to get my grilled cheese fix. The fries are good, too, I guess? Maybe? Honestly, I am "that girl" who subs them for a salad - so, what I really enjoy about The Diner is that the greens in my side salad are fresh, crispy and NOT ICEBERG!

If you don't mind ham on yours (or spending $13 for a grilled cheese sandwich), the Croque Monsieur at Poste is top notch, sitting on a thick brioche with a cone of thin frites available upon request. Pretty greasy and really goddamn good.

If I really want a grilled cheese, I hop a jet to London and go to the Grilled Cheese guy at Borough Market. I have dreams about these sandwiches. The best grilled cheese ever.

Yummy Grilled Cheese

But when i'm stuck in DC I generally stick with places like Ihop or Stoneys. Stoneys varies quite a bit but when the super is grilled properly, it is pretty good. The cafeteria at the Georgetown Law School also will grill up a nice grilled cheese for a few bucks. Just be specific about the bread you want and the cheese - sourdough and cheddar would be my rec.

I have a hard time paying over $5 for a grilled cheese and fries, so the best is probably making it yourself.

Spacebar is 100% grilled cheese sandwiches, believe it ... or not.

"24 taps, and infinite grilled cheese."

No one under 21 allowed in, alas.

Can you see why I sometimes don't rank these "specialty" places quite as high as a regular restaurant?

Does anyone other than my father (and I) like cheese on their apple pie?

It sounds weird now, but I grew up hearing:

"Apple pie, without cheese,

is like a kiss, without a squeeze."

And this post is funny:

I know, I know, I should be hiding under a rock for saying this, but if I need a quick grilled cheese fix and I can't do it myself at home, 5 Guys does good grilled cheese. And they don't even blink when I ask to grilled onions and bacon and tomato.

Kind of feel guilty for saying this, but when I visited Red Apron the other day, I wanted to order the grilled cheese-I opted out (& I even ordered something other than my friend did, because I wanted to try more stuff). Grilled cheese sandwiches are usually something I can make for sleepovers, we will almost always have some sort of bread, a variety of cheeses, in the house...

& I do know about cheese on apple pie, but it seems a little strange (even to someone who'll eat cheddar w/ anything), but since I don't like pie, I don't worry about it...I always think of it as kind of a New England thing...

Maybe Don posted about Spacebar because he's celebrating National Grilled Cheese month? Apparently April is designated with that honor. Nycci Nellis has an article on places to get grilled cheese this month.

One is Bourbon Steak, which is having a different grilled cheese special each week (Sun-Thurs in the bar). They posted their menu (price includes the drink?) here.

If I don't have any soft butter in my kitchen, I quickly make some mayo and use that instead for a grilled cheese. I read it somewhere, and it works pretty damn well.

You can melt the butter in the pan and do it that way, but my mother always buttered the bread, so that's the way I tend to do it.

You can melt the butter in the pan and do it that way, but my mother always buttered the bread, so that's the way I tend to do it.

Oh praise the Lord. I now realize that DaRiv18 meant "instead of the butter" as opposed to "instead of the cheese." For the past several hours, I honestly thought that he enjoyed making grilled mayonnaise sandwiches.

I always melted the butter in the pan (problem is, you have to flip it quick, or one side will absorb it all). I think that was the last thing I cooked, perhaps 35 years ago.

• Like 1

Oh praise the Lord. I now realize that DaRiv18 meant "instead of the butter" as opposed to "instead of the cheese." For the past several hours, I honestly thought that he enjoyed making grilled mayonnaise sandwiches.

I always melted the butter in the pan (problem is, you have to flip it quick, or one side will absorb it all). I think that was the last thing I cooked, perhaps 35 years ago.

:lol:;)

(And you can add more butter for the second side.)

If I don't have any soft butter in my kitchen, I quickly make some mayo and use that instead for a grilled cheese. I read it somewhere, and it works pretty damn well.

Ditto. I can't remember where I read it either, but I liked it so much the first time I tried it, I made it a permanent substitution.

*slaps Rocks upside the head*

Sir, if you are still thinking about going to France for cooking classes, and the last thing you cooked was a grilled cheese 35 years ago, you surely will be getting your money's worth!

....and to think I never ordered a grill cheese sandwich at any restaurant ever in my memory for myself, my family, friends, ANYONE. Did my parents do so when I was a kid??? Can't remember.

Of all the sandwiches in all the restaurants in the world...somehow I have this concept that paying someone to make what should be one of the simplest, most common, potentially diverse sandwiches even a lazy guy like me can make ....somehow it just doesn't feel right.

(goes home to cook up some neat variation on grilled cheese) :P:P

• Like 2

My mother always melted butter in the pan, added the sandwich, and then buttered the top slice before flipping. Once I started doing my own grilled cheese sandwiches, I pretty quickly realized that was an unnecessary bother (if you have only cold butter, which is always butter's natural state in my kitchen), so when I'm ready to flip the sandwich, I lift it out of the pan for a moment, add a little more butter to the pan and swirl to coat, and then put the sandwich back in cold side down. Another thing I usually do that my mother didn't is cover the pan to promote meltage meltation meltificity melting. I don't think I ever tried using mayonnaise instead of butter, but I'll probably have to, possibly for dinner tonight.

Apple pie with a sharp, crumbly cheddar or sometimes a blue-veined cheese was a standard when I was a kid. I was lucky in that my mother made the best apple pie in the world. No, really, she did.

Of all the sandwiches in all the restaurants in the world...somehow I have this concept that paying someone to make what should be one of the simplest, most common, potentially diverse sandwiches even a lazy guy like me can make ....somehow it just doesn't feel right.

I totally agree with this. I don't think I've ever ordered a grilled cheese in a restaurant in all my rather numerous days.

Some of that stuff is just fking depraved. When I followed a couple of links, I encountered even more radical depravity, such as brie, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry jalapeno jelly on a biscuit. Perhaps if the list of ingredients had stopped just short of "on a biscuit" it wouldn't seem so recklessly wanton.

• Like 1