Honey Pig Gooldaegee Korean BBQ Chain - 24/7 Restaurant in Several Suburban Locations

Grover, thank you for planning an interesting, unusual experience. How do you say in Korean, Matte imashita!

You are very welcome, Mr. Banker. I am glad you had a good meal with us. If 'Matte imashita' means 'waiting for' or 'expecting', then I would say Gidarigo issumnida.

Thank you Grover for planning. Over all, thumbs up experience. My favorite was the hot and sweet pork belly. Also enjoyed the steamed egg. Excellent. The other items were also solid but the standout was the pork belly.

Reminds me of places in Seoul but I could do without the loud music. Very much enjoyed the company.

I would go back to this place.

Look forward to next $20 tuesday (BTW, anyone tried the HanGang resturant or the new tofu place next to the Giant in annandale)?

Kay and I made a post work Pig-rimage last night. Pork Neck is chewy, fattty and a huge order. It hads some of the fatty wonder of the thick belly and yet provides more lean. A huge order. We started with an order of the brisket. The brisket was served with grilled onions, garlic & peppers. The neck with grilled kin chee, onions peppers & garlic with spicy red sauce and spicy bean sprouts. With two beers, this feast, which we jusr barely managed to finish was $34.

We were seated at a large table with a younger Korean couple, both very slender. They had the thin spicy pork belly with the kimchee, bean sprouts & onion mixtures. Two orders. They then got bowls of kimchee chigae and soy bean stew. When they finished off the BBQ, the ordered ANOTHER 2 orders f the belly! Yikes!!!!!

We were seated at a large table with a younger Korean couple, both very slender. They had the thin spicy pork belly with the kimchee, bean sprouts & onion mixtures. Two orders. They then got bowls of kimchee chigae and soy bean stew. When they finished off the BBQ, the ordered ANOTHER 2 orders f the belly! Yikes!!!!!

Koreans have magical bellies. I wouldn't believe them at first but I've seen them myself.

Has anybody ever gone here with a large group, and if so, how large?

I'm planning to do a birthday meal here next Saturday, but the guest list is blossoming into something like 15 people. I've done reservations here before but never for that many.

Grover organized a DR dinner there and we had about 20 people. There is really no problem (other than the noise and the smoke). How's your Korean?

Grover organized a DR dinner there and we had about 20 people. There is really no problem (other than the noise and the smoke). How's your Korean?

Not so good. I've been here many times, though, and have successfully made reservations before. But it is pretty hectic there on Saturday nights. I would probably try to shoot for the tail end of the dinner hour, like 8:30. I'll call when I get back to DC this weekend and see what they say.

At 2:30 AM last night, Honey Pig was packed - I counted 100 people inside, with more wandering aimlessly around the parking lot.

I got home with my carryout order (*) of "Fresh" Ju Mul Rock ($13.99) and Denjang Chigae (surprisingly priced at only $3.99 on my check), and decided to create my own super-casserole: I got a mixing bowl, dumped in both orders of steamed rice, poured the soup on top, then dumped in the meat. It was exquisite.

Honey Pig will be opening a second location in Ellicott City, most likely on the stretch of Route 40 west of Route 29 (which already has a fair amount of Korean-owned commerce).

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) That's what I get for going to an early dinner at Mio and only getting appetizers.

This might be an odd question, but here goes...how good is the ventilation there? I'm going for lunch today, and don't want to wear something fresh from the dry cleaner if I am going to end up smelling like the grill.

NQD was complaining about some item of clothing smelling like Honey Pig after we were there recently. So yes, it's an issue.

This might be an odd question, but here goes...how good is the ventilation there? I'm going for lunch today, and don't want to wear something fresh from the dry cleaner if I am going to end up smelling like the grill.

The ventilation is enough for building code, not for dress code. You will leave (or, by now, will have left) smelling of either yum or not-yum depending on the nose.

this may be too late to respond but here goes. We were there last week and I left my coat in the car and wore clothes that could go straight to the wash afterwards. My hair smelled like BBQ too. I heard that it sometimes its not so bad.

The place was half empty, so it probably wasn't as thick inside. I still smell enough like grilled kimchi that a shower will be needed before bedtime. :angry:

I didn't care for lot of the little dishes but the spicy pork belly and octopi more than made up for that. The pork was delicious, and I'd like to try some beef the next time. I'll go back, but not often since it's really out of the way for me. Big, big thanks to hillvalley for suggesting the trip, and for driving.

the beef brisket is best on the beef. If you are at a table with the in table burner instead of the table top butane setup, order the LA rib special which is cross cut short ribs, They steam too much on the small pan but sizzle and get crispy on the larger burner. I dont think we have ever had the galbi or bulgogi except when we have been with a large group. Our typical order is brisket and thick pork belly.

Adding my Honey Pig experience, lunch-MLK weekend, when everyone was at New Kam Fong-I went w/ a friend & kids (6 & 10 yr.old), arrived at 11:30, got ja mul rock , rice , asstd, panchan, steamed egg (for my newly veg daughter)-also also ordered the beef & octupus chul pan, & unfortunately, got abandoned-I tried to attract attention-I waved & pointed, by the time someone came to our aid, the seafood was pretty toasted, still pretty good, we all enjoyed the j-pop music....

Not so good. I've been here many times, though, and have successfully made reservations before. But it is pretty hectic there on Saturday nights. I would probably try to shoot for the tail end of the dinner hour, like 8:30. I'll call when I get back to DC this weekend and see what they say.

I forgot to follow up on this. I did have a Korean speaker call, but due to miscommunication between us, I also called in English and I believe that alone would have been sufficient. They told me that they don't take reservations on Saturdays, but they do have a day-of list you can call ahead for (a la Ray's the Steaks). They seated my large party very soon after we arrived and it ended up being a very pleasant experience for a birthday dinner. (The crowds might have been reduced due to bad weather that day, though.) We had a total of 11 people.

Also, they have a back room now that I don't seem to remember from before.

I always complained that the ride from G-burg to Annandale was too far, which was why I never went to Honey Pig. After running some errands in VA a couple weekends ago*, we had to drive through Annandale to get back to the Beltway, so we stopped here. Of course, it was awesome. But this was at 3PM on a Saturday. I wanted to try going for late night...

So, Saturday night, a bunch of us drove out for a night out in Annandale. We finally got to Honey Pig at around 1am, and I was fully expecting a long line and an hour wait. To my surprise, we were seated quickly and the restaurant was only half full. We ordered the #1 pork belly, the brisket, spicy pork belly, and the pork/squid chulpan, along with an order of the seafood pancake and hangover soup, and an unnessary bottle of soju (we had WAY to much already). It was everyone else's first experience with Korean BBQ, and I think they all liked it - I know they ate it all!

Couple of comments though...

-I had to ask for the grilled kimchi with the pork belly. That pretty much makes the dish, and I was surprised that I had to ask for it.

-They started to grill the chulpan on the same grill as the pork bellies and brisket, which I thought was odd. When I asked for the rice, they took everything off the grill (including the pork belly and brisket) and dumped it all into the curved grill pan, added in more sauce, and then the rice. While it was really good (and pretty spicy with the double dose of sauce), again I thought it was odd.

-The hangover soup didn't prevent the hangover at all! Unless I'm supposed to eat when I already have the hangover in place....either way, no one else really liked it but me. Nice and rich broth with chunks of beef (I think) and some veggies (I have no idea what kind, just leafy greens. Probably napa cabbage if I had to guess).

There were four of us, and I was the only asian (but not Korean though), so I'm guessing they did all this stuff because of that. Not that I really care or am upset by it, but that's just my assumption.

*Ok fine, my wife dragged me to the Twilight festival, and my reward was finally going to Honey Pig. At least something good came out of it...

-I had to ask for the grilled kimchi with the pork belly. That pretty much makes the dish, and I was surprised that I had to ask for it.

-They started to grill the chulpan on the same grill as the pork bellies and brisket, which I thought was odd. When I asked for the rice, they took everything off the grill (including the pork belly and brisket) and dumped it all into the curved grill pan, added in more sauce, and then the rice. While it was really good (and pretty spicy with the double dose of sauce), again I thought it was odd.

This happened to me with my non-Asian party as well. I've learned you have to request the grilled kimchi and rice when you place the order, and sometimes again when they start cooking.

Oops, posted this one in the baltimore threat by accident. feel free to delete that one.

Home for Thanksgiving

United 856 LAX-IAD: It was one of the least bothersome flights I've had in recent memory. Winter's Bone was unfortunately heavily edited for a general audience. But I had an aisle seat (H), and an adorably nervous high school sophomore proved fine company in the window seat (J). Her parents had just divorced and she's now living in Huntington Beach, but returning to Manassas for Thanksgiving with her best friend from her old school. Arrival time: 7:20 PM 6:45.

Saturn VUE: It was a warm reunion among brothers. Dinner location: Ella's Barnside Diner Honey Pig

Honey Pig: It was my first rodeo, but I was among veterans. I was reminded of the Korean BBQ joints frequented/funded by Korean exchange students in Vancouver. Not a lot of frills, a spartan but sleek look, host to many a convivial gathering. We ordered pretty conservatively: spicy pork belly 17.99 12.99, bulgogi 18.99 12.99 and spicy tofu and seafood soup 5.99 5.99.

The banchans were pretty good, some marinated greens, mushrooms and a remarkably average kimchi. We were actually quite impressed with the soup, which we only ordered because bro #1 is suffering from the flu common cold. Soft tofu yielded way to a smoky, spicy soup and (surprise!) a perfectly cooked egg, which when poked spread its yoke in sunny benediction across the rest of the concoction. The squid was an afterthought.

post-114-047310100 1290582803_thumb.jpg

And of course, there was the BBQ. It was fine and as with most Korean BBQ meals, it was the experience more than the food that drew my attention. Our grill girl was a real pro, seeming to pop up at precisely the right time to flip and serve. We thought it was also nice of her to bring over rice and then toss the extra sauce with some bean sprouts and kimchi on the grill. Although, I have to admit that grilled kimchi is vastly inferior to the cold stuff.

post-114-037662500 1290582836_thumb.jpg

On just one occasion did she neglect us for a bit too long, resulting in a round of sere pork belly. But that was just a minor blip on an altogether fun night, made the better by a few rounds of Cass. Light, cold, slightly malty on the nose, it's whisper of a lager, but a perfectly acceptable accompaniment to Korean BBQ.

In contrast to the permanent price alterations at Honey Pig, there is little I would change.

I'm really glad that the mee--guks like Honey Pig. That means we get better tables and faster service at infinitely better BBQ places in Annandale. (You should have ordered the pork belly cooked with kimchi and then you would have found out why cooked kimchi is so good). :)

a long post

You, sir, should be a writer. Editing won't serve you well enough. I'm off to surf for your other posts; you've mastered the English language.

I'm really glad that the mee--guks like Honey Pig. That means we get better tables and faster service at infinitely better BBQ places in Annandale. (You should have ordered the pork belly cooked with kimchi and then you would have found out why cooked kimchi is so good). :)

Do tell. Especially if you know one in EC or elsewhere in MD, as Annandale is a haul for me.

Do tell. Especially if you know one in EC or elsewhere in MD, as Annandale is a haul for me.

Sorry, I don't have a visa for MD. But you can check Honey Pig's other location somewhere near Baltimore. Maybe someone else can tell you where it is (or a quick search will find it). Actually, I think it is in Ellicott CIty.

Sorry, I don't have a visa for MD. But you can check Honey Pig's other location somewhere near Baltimore. Maybe someone else can tell you where it is (or a quick search will find it). Actually, I think it is in Ellicott CIty.

I meant tell of the infinitely better ones.

You, sir, should be a writer. Editing won't serve you well enough.

Thank you - it's really nice to get such feedback. I edited my signature to reflect the fact that I'm not longer associated with eat vancouver. But I wrote (and learned) quite a bit while managing that site.

Had a fun meal last night at Honey Pig. My Hubby is changing jobs- had his first day today! A couple of his employees that he was very close with wanted to take him out to a celebratory dinner. We wanted something fun and different and Matt had been craving Korean BBQ, so Honey Pig fit the bill. So we had a group of six, we ordered the brisket, boneless ribs and spicy pork bellies. I actually really enjoyed the brisket this time around, although I like it all to some extent. The ribs were good too, nice and tender as the fat melted on the grill, but they didn't get overcooked. I was a little surprised how tender these were. I didn't want to get my normal favorite the chul pan with octopus because I just don't know how well it would be received by all, so we went slightly safer. They were low on beer choices, and we had to go up to the pass to get more lettuce after asking several people, but they brought us out coddled egg on the house to make up for that. I think they just weren't expecting Easter to be so busy. But it still was a very nice time and a few of our friends had never had Korean BBQ and really loved it. We also had a seafood pancake which I really like.

All in all I think the quality of meat is better at some other places like Han Gang, but if you want a fun upbeat atmosphere where you can laugh and drink with friends then Honey Pig is a great place for that.

Went Saturday night with my Mom and my best friend's Mom (who happens to be my Mom's best friend- now if that isn't confusing). The Moms had never had Korean BBQ before, as Western Maryland is not a bastion of ethnic cuisine. We wanted a casual and cheap meal as we were having a fun girls weekend on a budget. Got Jumuluck and Bulgogi and non-spicy pork belly. Both the Jumuluck and Bulgogi were good, I am not crazy about the non-spicy pork belly, just a little bland on the grill compared to the other items. But Moms wouldn't have done the spicy well. The waitress was very worried about the Moms dipping things in the wrong sauces, eating things not in the lettuce wraps and hard time using chop sticks, in a very nice way though. It was kind of funny, I wanted to just say, don't worry about it, I know it may not be the norm, but as long as they like it, we're fine.

The Moms LOVED it. They thought it was too cool and that they just liked having something different. My Mom wasn't crazy about Kimchi, but she generally liked the bean sprouts on the grill and some of the banchan. I am sure they are going home and telling everyone about it.

• Like 1

Here it is, your moment of zen:

Breakfast at Honey Pig.

No, not an all-out, slough-up grilled spicy pork belly feed.

Their kimchi-jjigae is as good or better than any other in the area I've tasted. Particularly of the ones available at 6am.

They seem genuinely happy to see you (Annandale location, at least), the bahnchan are plentiful, and the stew is outstanding. If you're there before 7am, the Channel 4 morning news is playing, at a gentle volume. 3G coverage is good enough to read the paper or whatever, and the required slow eating of the boiling-hot (and spicy) stew is comforting, soothing, and relaxing.

And even with a 30% tip, change back from a tenner.

I forgot to leave the coat in the car. Thank goodness that we just got a new washer and dryer and the dryer has a steam cycle. It might be a delightful smell while you are in there, but after eating spicy pork belly, short rib, brisket and chul pan it doesn't smell quite as dreamy.

Had a great time though, my Mother now thinks she is a Korean BBQ pro (she's so cute). Was with my brother and his wife, mom and hubby. Afterwards we drove around to a bunch of the Fairfax Tacky Christmas Lights. If you haven't done this I highly recommend it, it's a real hoot.

Had dinner there last night. No problems with food. Pan fried dumplings were very good, grilled kimchee and veggies was put on before our spicy pork belly and bulgogi. But dear god, the sound system belongs in a dance club or a NASCAR racetrack. I'm still humming Korean dance tunes, or they're ringing in my ears, today. Next time, I get a table away from the speakers, if there is one.

The New Honey Pig coming to the Fox Chapel Shopping Center in Germantown has a spanking new sign up, so hopefully that will be up and running soon.

WaPo is guessing August/September. Anyone hearing any differently?

I bet they do a whopping business there. 24 hours in a universe that closes by 9pm? Plus their reputation? Plus (I think) the only close Korean competition will be down in South Rockville, in a place that's not 1/10th as hip. Looking forward to this.

A few things about Honey Pig:

1) I've seen it listed both on Markham Street and on Columbia Pike in Annandale. I haven't been in a couple of years - is it still in the same location?

2) Are there any other locations besides Centreville and Ellicott City?

3) Does anyone else think it wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't named Honey Pig (i.e., if it was simply named Gooldaegee)?