On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

John Wabeck at Firefly says he will bring out some sparkling wines for Friday's wine happy hour if we can get a small group together to help drink them.  Is anyone game?

I have a probability = .75 (75% chance) of showing up at Firefly for happy hour tonight.

If I do make it, there will likely be a brief cameo appearance from a special guest star.

I'm still good to go for about a 6:00 arrival at Firefly for some bubbles.

Derek and Chef were kind enough to uncork a few of the sparklers by the glass for our dinner last night. With the starters we had glasses of Luxe, which according to said management is: Chateau Ste. Michelle, spends 11 months in new French barrels and 5 years on the lees (current vintage is 1998). Straw-colored, dry, crisp, definitely tasty, but perhaps a bit to sharp for my oh-so-particular palate.

With the entrees we had glasses of Cerdon de Bugey, a blend of Poulsard and Gamay. This was a hit. Pinker, sweeter, but not overly so. Great flavor, very well-balanced, slightly yeasty to make it fun. We enjoyed this one a lot.

We probably would have sought out another bubbly for dessert....but we opted for the liquid desserts...and I don't know if it would have been easy to pair one with a sauternes, a grand marnier and a Madeira.

If you're going tonight, enjoy them. I'll have to catch them on a differently bubbly Firefly Friday as I will instead be feasting happily at Corduroy.

Got my Father's Day treat early yesterday in the form of a night on the town sans baby and better half. Met a friend at Oya, which is extremely cool, both literally (despite the fireplaces) and figuratively, and extremely expensive if you drink the (very good) cocktails. Sadly, they don't serve from the main menu at the bar and the bar menu is limited to sushi, so we broke for Poste and pounded a couple of Wagyu tartares and Delirium Tremens instead. Next stop was supposed to be Andale, but the bar was full, so we wandered over to Signatures, which didn't have that particular problem, for a baked mac n' cheese and a little vino. This led to a discussion about bar menus in general and bar menu value propositions in particular. Which led to a brisk walk up to Corduroy -- where we saw the Shorters dining royally and were very kindly welcomed with an impromptu, and delicious, scallop tartare. This was followed in short order by spring rolls, softshell sandwiches and a superbly beefy flatiron steak. Sadly, the house Margaux and the boring company had by this time begun to tell on my friend, who had to be decanted into a cab and sent on his way, clutching to his chest the doggy bag of shame. Being made of stupider stuff, I cleared my head with a long shamble across town to Firefly, where Derek immediately fogged it again by forcing a couple of coconut caipirinhas down my neck. Based on the available phenomenological evidence this morning, they put quite a lot of cachaca in those bad boys. After that, just the usual -- Johnny's Half Shell, Sette, BdC, forcible ejection*, yadda yadda yadda and this morning I got a food processor from the kid and a box of Raisinets from the dog. Fatherhood rules.

(*Inserted for dramatic effect. May not be a representation of actual events. Celebrity voices impersonated.)

Edited by Stretch

I think what you meant to say was "I'll be one with a busty blonde". Right?

I stand corrected - I will indeed be THE one with a busty blonde. What can I say. It's Monday morning...no one can have weekends like that and not pay for it in some manner. My English, not so good. russianmafia.gif

I've scheduled my daughter and me for our semi-annual dental appointment tomorrow. I don't think she would enjoy grabbing anything at the Grill, but I plan to take her somewhere for lunch -- Mendocino likely -- before depositing her for some work at Mom's office downtown. Anyone up for HH someplace?-- I may just go back to Firefly for a bubbly start to the weekend.

Man, I had no idea the insurgents had been making such inroads. Maybe this thing is in its last throes after all.

When they get a little further south, we can take them down to Archibald's for the evening. That should put an end to it once and for all. They will think that they martyred themselves and are in paradise.

Actually, it's the Dept of Stripclub Hygiene. They're the folks who check to make sure that the brass pole is wiped down after each performance.

Ok, you get the prize. I am now completely grossed out. I have more questions, but I don't wanna know.

I may schlep down for HH.  I will be alone with bored kids all day tomorrow while Scott is off on the battlefiled somewhere in Northern Maryland.  :lol:

Heather, my SO is often found on the battlefield, sometimes dragging the kids along for "educational purposes." I usually head somewhere with food or drink. Next time both our guys head off into history, lets meet for our own HH! ;)

I just posted this over in the Palena topic, so excuse the cross-post.

I'm meeting a friend at the Uptown at 6:30pm on Monday, so I thought I'd swing by Palena first and try the much adored chicken. I've eaten in the dining room, but never the bar before.

Anyone want to join in?

Is anyone up for happy hour Friday evening?  I was thinking perhaps Bistro Lepic wine bar.  Does anyone know if they have any happy hour specials?  But I'm open to other suggestions (Circle Bistro?).

I'm up for some HH activity on Friday, but how 'bout something closer in. What about Marcels?

Stopped by tonight with a friend.  Unfortunately for all the Jeff fans out there, I was told that he moved back to Colorado  :lol:   Big bummer.  Anyway, the chicken was definitely back on the menu, but a lot of the plates people have been talking about weren't (i.e. fish fry, charcuterie plate, hot dog).  However, I had an excellent "mixed grill" of duck sausage, rabbit and squab.  My friend had the penne with lamb meatballs which still taste divine.

I think you were sitting right next to my and my buddy at the bar. You were over on the right hand side of the bar, right?

New bartender. Her take on the Palena Manhattan was a little sweeter than usual, but still quite good. And a mean Negroni was had too. No food for us tonight as we ate at 2 Amy's.

Yes - that was me! I was the one in the blue shirt and red tie. Which two were you?

I think you were sitting right next to my and my buddy at the bar. You were over on the right hand side of the bar, right?

New bartender. Her take on the Palena Manhattan was a little sweeter than usual, but still quite good. And a mean Negroni was had too. No food for us tonight as we ate at 2 Amy's.