Food and Drink iPhone/iPod/iPad Apps

DanCole42

Does anyone here use any food or drink-related apps for the iPhone or iPod Touch that they're care to recommend?

I have a friend who swears by one of the grocery store/list apps. She had to go through the effort of organizing the app to reflect her store, but now it tells her what to get on which aisles. I don't shop in big box stores enough to find it useful (she paid something like $10) but she just loves it. I can try to find out exactly which app it is if anyone has any interest...

I've played around with the Epicurious app a few times and it seems to be worth the effort.

The WaPo Going Out Guide is worth it if only to have all the restaurant/bar phone numbers easily accessible.

I have a friend who swears by one of the grocery store/list apps. She had to go through the effort of organizing the app to reflect her store, but now it tells her what to get on which aisles. I don't shop in big box stores enough to find it useful (she paid something like $10) but she just loves it. I can try to find out exactly which app it is if anyone has any interest...

I downloaded the "Bread and Milk" shopping list app (still free??) when I first got the phone a year ago and it quickly became my only shopping list. I set it up to match the aisles in the store I mostly go to. Very handy, particularly because I can add anything to the list when I think about it, no matter where I am.

I have the Yelp app, which comes in handy when I'm in a strange place and want to get some ideas about where to eat--yes I know all about Yelp's limitations, but it's better than nothing when you're away from home and computer, as I often am. It helped me find a fantastic dim sum place in the Miami area once for example, while I was stopped at a stoplight (it searches for nearby places no matter where you are--this place was several hundred yards away from where I was), and it will give you a map to the place from where you are and a phone number you can call with a single touch. I have used it in other places, large and small, with good results.

I have downloaded several others including Epicurious, AllRecipes, but haven't really used them enough to offer an opinion. I seldom download anything that isn't free BTW.

I love, love, love the Locavore app. It checks your location then tells you what produce is in season, or will soon be in season. Plus, it lists all the farmer's markets near your location, including addresses, hours, days, etc.

In a word, it wins.

Post made via my 3GS,

I like:

How to Cook Everything. It distills the book into app form...I use it when I'm in the grocery store and need to pair a side/main together. Great interface.

TF Fast. Some decent recipes, but again, its the ease of consolidating the ingredients into a shopping list.

I also use Hello Vino for wine pairings and Drync Wine to make notes on bottles I like when out to dinner (although this one freezes on me a lot but I am hoping the new upgrade has helped). I would love a Rockwell app, the first time Don mentioned it (he was joking) I went and looked for it (I was not joking).

Michael Ruhlman's Ratio app.

This looks pretty cool (and like it would be well worth the $4.99).

The "Mixology" app (free) is amusing, if incomplete (Pimm's is nowhere to be found in the list of ingredients). I like the "random" setting that lets you set a few parameters and shake for a suggestion. For $.99 you can upgrade to the ad-free "Mixologist".

The "Mixology" app (free) is amusing, if incomplete (Pimm's is nowhere to be found in the list of ingredients). I like the "random" setting that lets you set a few parameters and shake for a suggestion. For $.99 you can upgrade to the ad-free "Mixologist".

I would suggest Cocktails+at $2.99 and Tiki+ (which is really awesome, but apparently being updated).

I frequently find myself in the city and want to go to a restaurant, but can't recall which restos are nearby, or, where exactly they are. My dream is to be able to consult my iPhone/iPad for a list/map of restaurants within a 4-6 block radius of my location. Does this app exist? If so, please point me to it. Thank you!

I frequently find myself in the city and want to go to a restaurant, but can't recall which restos are nearby, or, where exactly they are. My dream is to be able to consult my iPhone/iPad for a list/map of restaurants within a 4-6 block radius of my location. Does this app exist? If so, please point me to it. Thank you!

There are a kazillion, but I use AroundMe the most often.

Especially the "coffee" feature.

Caffeine. The official fuel of the KMango 2010.

I use Google map on my Blackberry or iPad. Just find your location, zoom in and then search for restaurants.

I'm a fan of Top Shelf, a cocktails app. It's got way too many crap recipes that you'll never make (or want to) but it's easy to add your own recipes. I use it several times a month to add recipes I've found online or on Jason Wilson's Spirits column in the Post. It allows you to choose what's in your liquor cabinet, and that list is easily customized, too. As a negative, it deleted all my saved recipes when the latest upgrade came out, but I've been talking with the developers and the next update will allow backing up in iTunes for the first time. Like many others, I didn't think to back up until the sh*t hit the fan. In my defense, I thought it was backing up when I synched, but unfortunately, the new, broken upgraded version overwrote my backed up older version. The new upgrade will allow better backups.

Mentioned briefly by Scott Johnston above, but I really recommend cor.kz. It links to your personal cellartracker account as well as cellartracker community reviews, and the latest version has a barcode scanner that makes it much, much easier to find wines in the database if you're browsing the selection in a wine store. Really cool app...

The foodspotting app is pretty fun, though it needs more users, and I also get a lot of use out of the "How to Cook Everything" app, which has a couple of nice features, including quickly building a grocery list from the recipes you choose, and built-in count-down timers for when you're going through the actual recipes.

I use two applications that work very well in tandem.

Cellartracker ks a web based application where I can track my wine cellar as well as see what others who have the same wine though when they drank it. Lots of reports about what is ready to drink, hold, etc. This site keeps getting better and they offer integration with several wine sites for professional reviews.

Cellarvu is an app I use with my Ipad which displays the cellartracker inventory and give me a great way to look at what I have.

I track about 500 bottles using these two apps.

Not an app but an accessory: Target in Germantown had the fully washable Belkin Chef Stand + Stylus on clearance (in the iPad accessories area) for $21.68. Note that this is only a stand, and does not provide protection for your tablet; you'd still need a good spill-resistant case for that.

The substantial and hefty stylus requires slight pressure to be sensed, and incorporates a magnet so you can use a swipe in the correct area to trigger the iPad's wakeup sensor, although I suspect that most folks would just push the home button.

STD1_F50L99_28333-APPL.jpg

Does anyone know of good iPad 3 cover that works with the auto on/off? I have a smart cover and I think it's worthless (if anyone wants to buy mine, I'll sell it for $20, I have a green one, preferably someone around McLean/Falls Church).

My smart cover works fine. But depending when you bought the cover, Apple is (or was) giving out new ones for free: "So it seems the new iPad’s sleep/wake sensor does require a specific polarity. But in fixing one issue, Apple appears to have caused another for users who want to use their old smart covers with their new tablets. (We’ve asked Apple to comment, and will update you if we hear back.)

Booth theorizes that Apple quietly made the polarity change in their smart covers at some point in 2011, since newer Apple-made smart covers do seem to work with the new iPad. If you got yours for the holidays, there’s a good chance you won’t see a problem.

If your smart cover hails from early 2011, try taking it back to the Apple store; Booth says he’s hearing from users that the store will exchange old smart covers for new ones."

From Mashable.

DC Food Truck Fiesta is a good one. It tells you where all the food trucks are each day and how far (as the crow flies) they are from you. It also has links to the food truck menus, twitter feeds and yelp reviews.

Bartenders Choice by Sasha Petraske et al is a damn fine instructional and recipe dump. That, and Tiki+, and maybe Cocktails+ and youre set. I also have My Bar for bottle inventory, and Miss Trivia just for conversation sake.