dr.com 2011 Spring Picnic

agm

I think we can expect/hope that there will be some additional RSVPs next week as people finalize their schedules. Unfortunately, the date didn't turn out to be one that worked for some of the folks who have been frequent attendees at past picnics.

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that there are always people who RSVP kind of late for picnics. Schedules are fluid and change. I often don't know until kind of late (like this time) if I'll be able to make it, even though the date was one I voted for in the poll! I thought I could make it, and then I couldn't, but now I can.

Of course, people can show up the day of anyway without RSVPing*. Advance notice just helps in terms of figuring out how many pork products and non-pork products will appear at any given picnic B) Balanced diets and all that :D .

*If you're not a member or attending with a member, register first, please :).

Edited by Pat

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be there.

What to bring? Awaiting inspiration. Weather is so variable. Will it be hot, or cold? Rainy, or dry? Sunny, or cloudy?

Husband, who usually can be relied upon for heavy lifting, is playing bagpipes at the Virginia Renaissance Faire.

Over the years I have found that dishes that taste so good after the short trip from kitchen to dining room don't survive so well in the back of the SUV during the trip to Fort Hunt and hours on a picnic table.

Something springlike. European. Vegetable intensive. Awaiting inspiration.

I would bring the charcoal grill, for asparagus, portobellos, bell peppers, and other lovelies, but, to be honest, this is the husband's forte, not mine.

Risotto primavera? It won't be good after hours on the picnic table.

Hmmmm.

DonRocks will be there with an unspecified number of people.

If you've ever wanted to meet The Man, The Myth, The Legend ... I suggest you go to John Holmes' gravesite; if you've ever wanted to meet me ... I suggest you come to the picnic.

B)

Possible option: a healthy, somewhat austere (but absolutely genuine!) version of a traditional Niçoise pissaladière. And Gillian, I suggest you don't come, because the olives will be unpitted.

Eat at your own risk.

I will be there, solo, as my free labor (aka kids) have other stuff going on. Consequently, I will be lugging less gear -the small camp stove (but it's 1 burner & a grill), cooler & beverages, & I haven't quite decided on the food, but probably some kind of smoked meat. Looking forward to seeing everyone...Thistle/Linda

AGM and NotQuickDraw - Pulled pork, mac n cheese (tentative)

Antonio Burrell +1-3 - curry pan, roast pork buns

Banco +3 - TBD

Barbara and DameEdna - gluten-free almond cookies, salad (Mediterranean potato or watermelon), wine

Beachgirl54 +1 - dessert, napkins

Catharine +1 TBD

chaofun + jchao (tentative) - bacon dish

Crackers - deviled eggs, jello mold, mac n cheese (or some combination of these), wine

DonRocks +?

FunGuy and LuvTeddyBears8

goldenticket +1 - TBD

goodeats +1 - TBD

Ilaine - spring veg dish?

iolaire +1 - mango black bean salad, TBD (maybe a meat item)

John William +1 - rice salad, wine (cookbooks)

KMango +3 - berry chewy granola bars, seasonal veggie dish

Koolpaw +1

ktmoomau +5 - lasagne

Legant +3 - TBD

lperry (+1?) - GF dessert (and fresh herbs for the asking!)

mdt

monavano +1 - terrine/pate (?)

Pat - lamb meatball sandwiches (?)

sparkycom

TheMatt - Cheese ball (?)

thistle - smoked meat (?)

weezy - TBD (chicken marbella as a backup)

1000yregg - plates

22209 +1 - Dan Dan noodles

Looks like we might need some desserts... B)

A more thorough assessment of the assorted paper goods left over from picnics past reveals the following:

1) We have, approximately, 8 gazillion cups left. This is an estimate, but a close one.

2) There are also lots of plastic utensils.

3) We are frighteningly low on plates. In the sense of, PLEASE BRING PAPER PLATES OF ALL SIZES! :D

4) We could do with more napkins -- we have quite the motley assortment currently -- and more paper towels.

5) Seriously, we have a lot of cups. A LOT. B)

We're not feeling particularly inspired, so unless someone has any great suggestions we'll probably do something basic like pulled pork and mac and cheese. Yes, I know, but better too much Mac and cheese than not enough.

My wife Susan and I will show up after Bike DC. I think she has mango black bean salad planned, and I don't have a clue as to what I'll want to make – I’m probably leaning towards a meat but it really depends on what is on sale that week.

A more thorough assessment of the assorted paper goods left over from picnics past reveals the following:

1) We have, approximately, 8 gazillion cups left. This is an estimate, but a close one.

3) We are frighteningly low on plates. In the sense of, PLEASE BRING PAPER PLATES OF ALL SIZES! :D

4) We could do with more napkins -- we have quite the motley assortment currently -- and more paper towels.

Please add me and + 2 to the list. I'll either bring homemade sourdough bread (anyone interested in 24 year old sourdough starter speak up now), or a dip and stuffed grape leaves. Skipper

Here's the latest list:

Antonio Burrell +1-3 - curry pan, roast pork buns

Banco +3 - TBD

Barbara and DameEdna - gluten-free almond cookies, salad (Mediterranean potato or watermelon), wine

Beachgirl54 +2 - dessert, napkins

Catharine +1 TBD

chaofun + jchao (tentative) - bacon dish

Crackers - deviled eggs,mac n cheese, wine (and maybe pork butt

DonRocks +?

goldenticket +1 - veggies and dip and TBD

goodeats +1 - TBD

JPW, Nutty Buddy +2

Koolpaw +1 - cold cream of carrot soup, homemade bread

ktmoomau +5 - lasagne, plates, wine, GF berry cobbler, pea dip(?)

Legant +3 - TBD

mdt

Pete, Paula +2 - black and white cookies

rkduggins +1 - watermelon feta salad, chocolate chip bacon cookies

Skipper10 +2 - homemade bread or grape leaves and dip

sparkycom

weezy - chicken marbella

1000yregg - plates

We can always use cases of water, coolers with ice, and drinks for the younger set. Soccer balls or other outdoor games are sure to be put to good use.

Also, the Cellar Cull is an ongoing picnic tradition. Bring a bottle of wine (drinkable, please B) ) to share/sample.

The forecast for Sunday looks like perfect picnic weather! There's still plenty of time to sign up - and even if you don't, just show up with something to share.

We can always use cases of water, coolers with ice, and drinks for the younger set. Soccer balls or other outdoor games are sure to be put to good use. Also, the Cellar Cull is an ongoing picnic tradition. Bring a bottle of wine (drinkable, please B) ) to share/sample.

The forecast for Sunday looks like perfect picnic weather! There's still plenty of time to sign up - and even if you don't, just show up with something to share.

We are bringing cold cream of carrot soup and homemade bread.

Edited by goodeats
Reduce post size.

Just a traffic warning -- Telegraph Road, at least up near Duke Street & the Beltway interchange, is going to be closed all this weekend for yet more road work. It probably won't interfere with many folks' routes, but I'm putting it out here just in case.

Add another adult with me - my cousin is coming too!

Here's the latest list:

<snip>

Beachgirl54 +1 - dessert, napkins

<snip>

Ok so we will also be bringing: Plates! And Wine and a berry cobbler type of thing that I am going to try to make gluten free, so hopefully that is successful, will do a test run first. I am also thinking about making a pea dip that I saw somewhere recently that looked good. And my friend Rachel is bringing something, but I don't know what yet.

Oh no…all that super good stuff and fun people I’ll be missing? I wish I could join you all, but I’m attending another event. Oh well…maybe next time. The weather is supposed to be great this weekend! Have fun and eat and drink for us who can’t be there!!!

It goes without saying, or at least bears repeating, that new members, and members who have never come to a picnic before should really think about coming. Picnics are a great way for new and not-so-new members to gather and enjoy a few hours of great food, drink and socializing. Everyone was a new member at some point.

Darkstar in at +1. I feel like a "new member" even though I signed on several years ago. This'll be a first event and only really started posting more actively in the last several months. All that to win sympathy for the stupid questions to follow B)

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems that there are always people who RSVP kind of late for picnics. Schedules are fluid and change. I often don't know until kind of late (like this time) if I'll be able to make it, even though the date was one I voted for in the poll! I thought I could make it, and then I couldn't, but now I can.

Hmmm, "people who RSVP kind of late" I'm clearly that but, as a kinda new member who spends most of my time on the DC Restaurants thread...yada, yada

Questions:

Wanting to do my part but not sure after going through all the posts. Do we still need plates? Bottled water? Can do a simple but decent tomato/avocado salad. Or, very rich but usually popular (decidedly not gluten free) brownies? Guidance needed!

Looked at 1000yregg's photos from last year. Wow! Kind of daunting for folks who are more about consumption than creation. Whole roasted pig? That's not happening this year, I take it? Haggis--really? Guess this isn't really a question.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you offline--sounds like great fun!

Questions:

Wanting to do my part but not sure after going through all the posts. Do we still need plates? Bottled water? Can do a simple but decent tomato/avocado salad. Or, very rich but usually popular (decidedly not gluten free) brownies? Guidance needed!

Looked at 1000yregg's photos from last year. Wow! Kind of daunting for folks who are more about consumption than creation. Whole roasted pig? That's not happening this year, I take it? Haggis--really? Guess this isn't really a question.

Glad you can join us!

There are usually enough plates, but with 85 degree weather predicted for Sunday, bottled water contributions are greatly appreciated. This is odd, but we're actually lacking in the dessert dept., so my vote is for brownies.

Haggis really happened. Otherwise, even without the pig, it's a fun time for all.

Just remember to bring some tupperware.

It's not too late to join us tomorrow - even if you don't reply on the thread, feel free to come on out and bring something to share. And don't be intimidated by pictures of previous picnics - it is a picnic, after all. Food of any type/caliber is welcome! Water or other non-alcoholic beverages won't go to waste, nor will paper goods.

As a reminder, we do ask everyone to kick in a few bucks toward the cost of the picnic area rental - this year we wound up a larger (and more expensive) area. There will be a container where you can leave your donation. Previous suggested donation levels have been ~$5 for adults and ~$2-3 for kids. Thanks!

Here's the list as it stands now:

Antonio Burrell +1-3 - curry pan, roast pork buns (may not be able to make it :D )

Banco +3 - TBD

Beachgirl54 +2 - dessert, napkins

Catharine +1 TBD

Crackers - deviled eggs,mac n cheese, wine (and maybe pork butt)

darkstar965 +1 - brownies or tomato avocado salade

DonRocks +?

goldenticket +1 - veggies and dip and TBD

goodeats +2 - beverages

JPW, Nutty Buddy +2

Koolpaw +1 - cold cream of carrot soup, homemade bread

ktmoomau +5 - lasagne, plates, wine, GF berry cobbler, pea dip(?)

Legant +3 - TBD

mdt

napoleonva +1 - bacon-blue cheese coleslaw

Pete, Paula +2 - black and white cookies

rkduggins +1 - watermelon feta salad, chocolate chip bacon cookies

Skipper10 +2 - homemade bread or grape leaves and dip

sparkycom

weezy - chicken marbella

1000yregg - plates

All are encouraged to bring a bottle of (decent) wine to share in the "Cellar Cull" - corkscrews are probably a good idea too B)

OK. I'll be bringing gourmet (er, at least made with good quality chocolate/cocoa/valrhona) brownies, bottled water, maybe some extra utensils and a few bucks for the kitty. Weak on the culinary creation front I realize but, hey, I usually know a decent restaurant when I see one B)

Thanks for the input--looking forward to it!

Glad you can join us!

There are usually enough plates

Just as an FYI for all, we had approximately 12 plates left over from last picnic. While goodeats is right that there are usually enough, for the past several picnics, that's been because we've had the luxury of using up remainders while we supplement with more. So take that information as you will. B)

Lelebo,

Do you need my large oversized white cooler? We used it last year. Last year I had at least 10-15 large bags of ice leftover from my Saturday's party. Unfortunately, I am not having a party tonight. Do you want cooler sans ice? I want to bake my sourdough bread in the morning, attend Mass and be at the picnic site by noon. If I am to buy ice, I won't make it to the picnic till it will be half over. Please advise! skipper

Lelebo,

Do you need my large oversized white cooler? We used it last year. Last year I had at least 10-15 large bags of ice leftover from my Saturday's party. Unfortunately, I am not having a party tonight. Do you want cooler sans ice? I want to bake my sourdough bread in the morning, attend Mass and be at the picnic site by noon. If I am to buy ice, I won't make it to the picnic till it will be half over. Please advise! skipper

I don't actually know if we have another cooler coming and/or any other ice, but it won't be terribly useful for it to arrive mid-afternoon, so I would say don't bother. Goldenticket, any other ideas?

I can bring my regular-sized cooler with a couple of bags of ice in it, if that will help things.

ALSO, the gluten-free cookies are made, but they unfortunately don't compare favorably to the regular Toll House cookie, alas. They aren't bad, but I would suggest they be saved for the GF folks, so they can have some dessert.

I don't have access to my coolers right now, including the one I brought the last time I attended. I do have a small and odd assortment of paper plates I can bring, some paper towels, and some bottled water. (I can also bring some trash bags.)

It looks like I'll be bringing more meatballs than rolls, but I'm also bringing toothpick-type devices for eating meatballs sans bread.

I don't actually know if we have another cooler coming and/or any other ice, but it won't be terribly useful for it to arrive mid-afternoon, so I would say don't bother. Goldenticket, any other ideas?

My large cooler leaves in the car, so it will be at site D-001 around noon. It might come handy n case you are short on coolers and others bring ice. skipper 10