JLK

Taqueria Poblano, Owner Glen Adams in North Arlington, Del Ray, and South Arlington

Hello all,

I'm making my first trip to Taqueria Poblano tonight (Ballston location, near the home of a friend). I'm pretty excited about it quite frankly between my need for a beer (one Negra Modelo please!) and the inexpensive cuisine.

Looking at the online menu, I'm very interested in trying the tacos al pastor and, as always, I need to satisfy a craving for guacamole.

What are their other can't miss items?

The Oaxacan pork is very tasty. Got it in a taco. Also did the grilled steak taco, but there was way too much char on it for me. My husband got the duck, and loved it. Enjoy!!

Hello all,

I'm making my first trip to Taqueria Poblano tonight (Ballston location, near the home of a friend).  I'm pretty excited about it quite frankly between my need for a beer (one Negra Modelo please!) and the inexpensive cuisine.

Looking at the online menu, I'm very interested in trying the tacos al pastor and, as always, I need to satisfy a craving for guacamole.

What are their other can't miss items?

I had lunch at the Del Ray location the other day and the special chorizo and potato tacos were great. If your friend digs the creatures that swim, the fish tacos are pretty good as well.

I actually really like the chicken mole verde. The chicken is like butter and it's covered in a sublime green mole sauce. Fabu!

Also, if you're a margarita fan, I have found the ones at Taqueria to be the best I've had. Not too sweet. Made from only fresh lime juice. They go down EASY!

Not to mention the rumarita, a brilliant use of run in stead of tequila in the perfect sometime drink.

I too highly recommend the fish tacos. The fish was expertly fried in a beer batter without the hint of grease that is so common in other fish tacos around here. We also had the pork taquitos which were great and served as a perfect vehicle for guacamole. The braised shredded beef taco was fine, but not the highlight of the menu.

My only complaint is that non of the salsas or the hot sauce on the table provided my heat which would have made my fish taco perfect.

We went to Cheesetique this evening, and then popped across the street to Taqueria Poblano for dinner. This was our first trip, but it won't be the last. Mrs. Rice had the burrito with beef, and I had a taco al pastor (carved adobo seasoned pork), a fish taco, and a duck carnitas taco. All were good, but the standout for me was the taco al pastor. Slightly spicy, earthy, smoky, and complemented nicely by the pineapple and cilantro on top. The fish taco was my second favorite, if nothing else because I've had several bad fish tacos before and this was excellent. The duck carnitas were slightly different than I expected but good too. One note-the tacos al pastor are only served after 5:30 PM.

It's definately a family-friendly place. I think we were one of the few tables that didn't have a little one in tow. All of the kids seemed well behaved though, perhaps because of the food being easy for them to eat. Our server was knowledgeable about the food, and extremely gracious when there was a minor service error.

For us, we know a good place when we start planning to come back before we finish dinner. We'll definately be back.

The only thing other than the raw crap in the chip basket that I have not liked is the duck taco. The meat was tough and not flavorful, half of the meat fell out when I took my first bite, and the toppings did not do much to enhance it.

On the other hand, I agree about the Taco el Pastor, and the fish taco being quite good. The fish taco being my favorite and the Pastor being my wife's. I would also avoid the shrimp taco, it is edible, but not the best thing on the menu.

If by "raw crap" you mean the jicama pieces provided along with the standard chips, I have to say that I really enjoy it -- sprinkle with a little lime juice from the slice provided and dip it in the salsa. Yum.

I do mean the Jicama, my wife likes it, I can't stand the stuff. But I would be happy to eat around it. The main issue I have with it in the basket is that it makes the chips that it touches soggy, and very unpleasent.

Mr. S and I just had brunch at the North Arlington restaurant. My "Virgin Mary" was very nice, spicy and smoky (chipotles?). I'm not a tee-totaller, just lots to do today in the heat.

No Jicama in the basket--just chips. I think I remember having Jicama at the Del Ray branch--maybe it's just there?

I was disappointed that the grill wasn't on for brunch, after reading all of the posts in this thread, but I tried the special Mexican Tamales. I haven't had a lot to compare them to, but they were very good, second only to the ones that a coworker makes at home and brings in for lunch sometimes.

Mr. S had the Crab Quesadilla, and he said it was very good. The guacamole that came with both platters was delicious, as were the refried beans. I'm not much for their rice, but my husband enjoyed it.

I'll have to go back sometime when the grill is on and try the Oaxacan pork and the grilled steak taco. I have had the fish and duck tacos on previous visits, and I enjoyed them.

How is their mole?

Scottee

We were very excited to check out Taqueria Poblano (Del Ray location), and it really hit the spot after a leisurely afternoon at the Alexandria arts festival. We started with the margaritas, which were made with fresh lime juice and were great. Perfect for sitting outside and having a casual meal. We started with a dish whose name escapes me, but was grilled or roasted green peppers, onions, and cheese served with tortillas. It sounds pedestrian, from its appearance, looked the part, but was in fact quite tasty. There was some fresh herbs mixed in too.

We had the duck taco and the fish taco, and were as advertised-- fabulous. I believe the duck taco had a dollop of guacamole on top and was very good. As others have noted, the fish taco was not soggy.

Overall, I added it to the list of places I wish were down the street so I could dash in once a week for a quick dinner.

We started with a dish whose name escapes me, but was grilled or roasted green peppers, onions, and cheese served with tortillas.  It sounds pedestrian, from its appearance, looked the part, but was in fact quite tasty.  There was some fresh herbs mixed in too.

Rajas de poblanos, is my guess.

hmm, stopped by here yesterday afternoon prior to a Cheesetique expedition

maybe we got it on a bad day but we left feeling a little underwhelmed

The chicken taquitos were good but neither my duck nor fish tacos had much flavor - my wifes shrimp taco was a little better

pity, as we really wanted to like this place

Ate here Sunday night (Arlington) Great steak Tacos El Carbon, and a Tacos El Pastor. I always say I'm going to try the mole and then get sucked back into the tacos....

Ate here Sunday night (Arlington) Great steak Tacos El Carbon, and a Tacos El Pastor.  I always say I'm going to try the mole and then get sucked back into the tacos....

the mole verde is insanely good.

Ate here tonight after a tasting at Cheesetique. I can't say that I completely understand the fuss.

I agree with the previous comments about the chips and salsa. The chips seemed a bit soggy, and the salsa nothing to write home about.

The fish tacos were good, but not great. The fish was very good, and the breading started crispy, but they were not served hot enough. So the ICE COLD slaw and toppings quickly made a cold, soggy mess of the taco. I also thought the ratio of stuff-to-fish was a bit high. And I've been in Baja before, and had just-off-the-boat fish tacos. Not to compare TP to Baja, but my wife opined that when we get stuck at Cheesecake Factory (not by choice), THEIR fish tacos are better than TP's.

The duck was very very tasty, not dry at all, and wonderfully seasoned. However, that was only after picking off most of the very strong pickled onions, which completely overwhelmed the duck.

The tacos al pastor were a disaster, because the pork was very very dry, and the taco had been sitting under the heat lamp long enough to make the tortilla brittle.

Total for 5 tacos and 2 iced teas with tax and tip: $30.

We find ourselves at El Tapatio or La Sirenita in Little Mexico about once a month on the way to DC United games. I usually pay about $30 for dinner for us AND the kids, which includes 6 tacos, a table full of rice and beans, and 4 drinks. And I think that the food there is much better than at TP.

La Sirenita is entirely different from Taqueria Poblano. For one thing it has the loudest juke box of any restaurant I have ever been into as well as awesome chili rellanos. It is also "authentic," cutting no corners for the occasional gringo who wanders in. Very good mole, too and really interesting soups and stews.

My wife loves Taqueria Poblano favoring the one off of Lee Highway to Alexandria. She has not been to the Riverdale places but I have a feeling that she would not like them as much. Poblano fills a vey different "need" as they do in their own way.

Edited by Joe H

I've never been to the Del Ray version of TP, but we do enjoy the one on Lee Highway. In Alexandria, we head straight for Los Tios...mmmmm...

Note to all: The Del Ray location is closed on Tuesdays, as I found out last night to my disappointment. I knew in the back of my head that the Dreamery was too, but forgot that as well. So my trip to the hood last night was a dismal failure. However, their loss was Cheesetique's gain!

Having had many yummy meals at Los Tios in Del Ray, I switched to TP this weekend. I have some questions: 1) how is this place on the cheap eats lists? 2) shouldn't salsa that is not free be insanely good or at least above average? 3) how much salt is used in the verde mole?

Hmmmmm....

Having had many yummy meals at Los Tios in Del Ray, I switched to TP this weekend.  I have some questions:  1) how is this place on the cheap eats lists?  2) shouldn't salsa that is not free be insanely good or at least above average?  3) how much salt is used in the verde mole? 

Hmmmmm....

Why, Taqueria Poblano is cheap. Margaritas, granted they aren't the best in town, are impossible to beat at $5.95. And you can have a few fish tacos or a duck carnita, etc. as a meal, the total cost way less than a middle of the road place in town. I'm very familiar with Guajillo since it's really close to where I live, and I know that Taqueria Poblano is about half the price and at this point, twice as satisfying. One of the most expensive meals I know at Poblano was with just one other, a scarfing mavin, a desperately hungry gastronome...and still, after eight margaritas between us two and many refills of chips, the bill was shy $80 bucks :lol: . Go anywhere else and order 80% of the menu and 7 or 8 cocktails and enjoy for under $ 100.

Perhaps because I don't really drink that much or that often, inexpensive margaritas don't make a place a good deal for me. I think close to $4 per taco is expensive even for fish tacos. Granted, we had an egg dish and the chicken mole, an order of chips and sodas. The bill was close to $30 not including tip. Still, didn't seem like a bargain for Tex-Mex. Nor did I think it that impressive. I like Los Tios much better. But that is just my personal preference.

I tried to go today for lunch. No luck--they just put in a new floor and were closed.

For the love all things holy, can't a restaurant put something on their website when this comes up? I looked at the website just this morning to confirm what I wanted to order.

The trip was not a total waste--I bought many lovely cheeses but...

Sigh...