1743 replies to this topic

#1701 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

To all the trans women who don't have access to all the makeup artists, hair stylists, wardrobe consultants, world-famous photographers, Photoshop tools, and financial resources as Caitlyn Jenner.

• The Hersch, dcandohio and sheldman like this

Gin boldly--that grace may abound!

#1702 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

To all the trans women who don't have access to all the makeup artists, hair stylists, wardrobe consultants, world-famous photographers, Photoshop tools, and financial resources as Caitlyn Jenner.

Holy crap, Batman.  That is an unbelievable picture.  On top of everything Tujague posted above, the simple fact that the picture is of a 65 year old is remarkable.  She looks like she is in her early 30's.

After seeing that pic I have a significantly different perspective on Hollywood, makeup, world famous photographers, cosmetic surgery,  photoshop, etc.   Its all magic.

#1703 JPW

JPW

Big Poppa Pump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

To Sepp Blatter! Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out!

Joe
skewing old

#1704 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Awesome.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1705 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'm just wondering how "golden" his parachute is going to be.

#1706 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

I'm just wondering how "golden" his parachute is going to be.

Oh, I suspect he's already worth nine figures.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#1707 The Hersch

The Hersch

Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

I'm drinking to my dear mother, who died in March. She was a very fine lady. She would have been 93 today. Here's to you, Ma.

• Gary Tanigawa, Pat, dcs and 2 others like this

Tell me, thou little bird that singest,

Who taught my grief to thee?

#1708 DIShGo

DIShGo

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

To my best friend. You are my first thought when I wake up, and the last thing I think about before I fall asleep. My world is a better place because you are in it.

• thistle likes this

#1709 DIShGo

DIShGo

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

To Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors! What a game!

#1710 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and goalies--Bishop and Crawford have been indescribably fantastic!!!)

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#1711 MC Horoscope

MC Horoscope

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals pitcher. No hitter today. More than that. It's two consecutive games he has taken a perfect game (no walks,no errors, no opponent on base -- very rare) so late into the game. Today he was ONE out away from a perfect game. Pirates batter was hit by a pitch and got to his base.

#1712 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals pitcher. No hitter today. More than that. It's two consecutive games he has taken a perfect game (no walks,no errors, no opponent on base -- very rare) so late into the game. Today he was ONE out away from a perfect game. Pirates batter was hit by a pitch and got to his base.

Pirates hitter leaned into the pitch so he would be hit, stuck his elbow into the path of the ball.  Totally classless move and he should have been called out by the umpire.  

Scherzer has had two fabulous games in a row.  Three base runners in two games, none before the 7th inning.  This was his third complete game in a career where he has won two Cy Young Awards.  

I'm going to the game Thursday and hope he's pitching.  With all the injuries, I have no idea what the rotation is now.

I'm happy about the no hitter but if it had been a legitimate hit by a pitch I would be less angry.

• DonRocks, MC Horoscope and JoshNE like this

#1713 The Hersch

The Hersch

Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

This has been a remarkable week in American public life. I want to raise a glass, first, to President Obama, whose political victories this week rather pale in comparison to the remarkable eulogy he delivered in Charleston today, which is probably the best speech by a president in my lifetime, even though I don't have any belief in any god whatever and he leaned heavily on the god stuff (as Lincoln did in the greatest of all presidential speeches, his 2nd inaugural). For all his faults and failures, and they have been many, Barack Obama can move me to tears, and not just with the soaring poetry in which he sometimes speaks, but with the service he sometimes manages to render to our commonwealth. And second, I raise a glass to that commonwealth, which is stronger and finer today than it was a week ago.

• Tujague, Pat, thistle and 2 others like this

#1714 dcandohio

dcandohio

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

To Jim Obergefell, who became the face and the voice of marriage equality while grieving the death of his husband. To Justice Kennedy, whose heartfelt language on love and marriage becomes a treasured part of history. To all of the good folks who wished me "happy equality" yesterday. To everyone who fought for this cause, so that little kids will grow up never knowing of a time when their gay parents or gay friends could not be legally married.
  • bookluvingbabe, Tujague, The Hersch and 4 others like this

Shut up and pour another glass of wine, please.

#1715 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

This has been a remarkable week in American public life. I want to raise a glass, first, to President Obama, whose political victories this week rather pale in comparison to the remarkable eulogy he delivered in Charleston today, which is probably the best speech by a president in my lifetime, even though I don't have any belief in any god whatever and he leaned heavily on the god stuff (as Lincoln did in the greatest of all presidential speeches, his 2nd inaugural). For all his faults and failures, and they have been many, Barack Obama can move me to tears, and not just with the soaring poetry in which he sometimes speaks, but with the service he sometimes manages to render to our commonwealth. And second, I raise a glass to that commonwealth, which is stronger and finer today than it was a week ago.

President Obama did yesterday what every good preacher is taught to do: speak a word appropriate to the time and place. The God language was utterly appropriate to the AME Church, and he arguably could have gone even farther in terms of using Jesus language, but he stayed more in a lightly civil religion mode. One of my friends, who is something of a radical activist and academic, complained that he didn't go far enough in terms of taking on racist structures, but again, this person was no more the primary audience for this eulogy than you or I were. He spoke specifically to Mother Emanuel and its lost pastor and souls; we just listened in. Overall, it was masterful, and even reading it left me in tears. For all his flaws, he is the only president in my lifetime that I have genuinely loved--when he gets it right, he really nails it like no other.

• Barbara, The Hersch, dcandohio and 3 others like this

#1716 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

Here's President Obama's entire eulogy:

#1717 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

To Jim Obergefell, who became the face and the voice of marriage equality while grieving the death of his husband. To Justice Kennedy, whose heartfelt language on love and marriage becomes a treasured part of history. To all of the good folks who wished me "happy equality" yesterday. To everyone who fought for this cause, so that little kids will grow up never knowing of a time when their gay parents or gay friends could not be legally married.

I know I'm going "political"   but I also drink to Obergefell and this event.   I view this as one of the great steps to equality in my lifetime and awareness.  In '69, living in the NYC area, visiting the Village, being around the age of 18 and able to drink legally in NY, I was aware of Stonewall.  I suppose I was completely homophobic, had no understanding of the issue, no comprehension of what people went through hiding their sexual orientation, etc etc.  Completely ignorant to the issue.   Decades of learning, exposure, learning,,....and learning more and more, completely changed that personal perspective.  Witnessing people die of aids before the advent of medical cocktails that prevented AIDS was truly horrific, especially in light of a political culture at that time (80's) that limited research to fight that disease.   

More recently seeing and experiencing the revolutionary and completely different perspective from a majority of younger people, whose overwhelming egalitarian perspective radically expedited a rush toward US societal acceptance of LGBT and moved toward acceptance of Gay Marriage.   A great transformation in my book.

Its worth many toasts, in my perspective.  

• The Hersch and thistle like this

#1718 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

To prog-rock band YES bassist Chris Squire, who died earlier today of leukemia. 

#1719 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Tipping my hat to Carli Lloyd's first 16 minutes in the World Cup.

How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#1720 The Hersch

The Hersch

Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

To the people of Greece.

#1721 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

To the entire US womens soccer team.

Its a remarkable team, in a remarkable sport.   Beautiful comments from team members after the victory.  Very team oriented.  They deserve kudo's.

The goals were cool.  A lot of classic, beautiful, and fortuitous goals, but they come after attempting the same or similar plays again and again and again.  Kudo's.  The long goal was something else.  Sharp, almost funny, very perceptive, as Carli Lloyd saw the goalie way way way out of position and drove the long shot over her!!!!!

How cool was that?   Biggest game of the entire year and an extraordinary shot while noticing a big hole/weakness.  Kudo's again.   Not exceptional in its play but thoroughly exceptional in awareness and execution to drive that shot and get that speed, length and height at the right moment.  

#1722 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

To José Andres, for doing the right thing.

• Gary Tanigawa and thistle like this

#1723 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

To all of us, unacknowledged, still sweating out the end of summer, & mowing the lawn, despite ankle high water....

#1724 leleboo

leleboo

Queen of Supply-Side Bonhomie Bone-Drab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

To my husband, who is back in DC this week for work, while I hold down the fort at home with the kiddos, missing all the great dining. Wait, what? Blargh! ;)

"He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea." ~THHGTTG
"Are you from the future? Do they still have sandwiches there?" ~Montgomery Scott, Star Trek
------
Leigh

#1725 Rovers2000

Rovers2000

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

To my daughter, born at 11:57 last night and my wife who was a trooper throughout the process. We will be enjoying a Quintarelli in celebration when we are discharged (that my wife has been eyeing since we returned from Italy last October!)
  • DonRocks, JPW, DanielK and 2 others like this

Dave

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

#1726 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Christen your baby with an eye-dropper drop of the Quantarelli!

Also, let's not forget the most important question here: Amarone or Alzero? What's her name?

#1727 Rovers2000

Rovers2000

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

Her name is Reese Rebecca Hofman :).

Our choices from the Quintarelli are:

2004 Amarone
2005 Albert
2000 Amarone Selection do Giuseppe

However - we spent Saturday at Glen Manor visiting Kelly bc my wife wanted a "taste" to celebrate passing 38 weeks. So technically her first taste was a bit of Holder Hill!

Dave

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

#1728 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

However - we spent Saturday at Glen Manor visiting Kelly bc my wife wanted a "taste" to celebrate passing 38 weeks. So technically her first taste was a bit of Holder Hill!

I ain't talkin about your wife, bro! And a molecule of wine passing through the placenta doesn't count.

Congratulations, btw!!!

#1729 John William G

John William G

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

To my late brother-in-law, O.Z. Tyler.  This write up about him is from the Owensboro, KY, Messenger-Inquirer:  Tyler “finally got the Kentucky distillery he had deamed of—on what wold have been his 81st birthday.  But Tyler, who invented the TerrePURE  process to speed the aging of bourbon, along with his stepson…died in January 2014 before his dream could be realized.  More than 100 people turned out …to see the dedication of…Kentucky’s new O. Z. Tyler Distillery at 10 Distillery Road.”

• Rovers2000 and weezy like this

#1730 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

Frank Gifford.

#1731 The Delicious

The Delicious

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

Not right now, but I'll tip one back later for our fearless leader, Mr. Don Rockwell. Happy birthday!

---

[Thank you!]

• DonRocks, Pat, DanielK and 2 others like this

#1732 DIShGo

DIShGo

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

Not right now, but I'll tip one back later for our fearless leader, Mr. Don Rockwell. Happy birthday!

---

[Thank you!]

Happy birthday, Don! I hope the coming year is one of your happiest. Cheers!

#1733 JoshNE

JoshNE

Member: H Street Overlords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

Drinking all the whiskey in memory of the National's season.

#1734 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

To Lenny Robinson.

• JPW likes this

#1735 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

To Julian Bond and Jonathan Daniels, icons of social justice and symbols of hope at very early ages, both of whose lives ended too soon in their own ways, one to vascular disease and one by a racist with a gun.

#1736 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Boy, I don't know if I'm "drinking" to him right now, but I'm certainly praying for Justin Wilson.

#1737 The Hersch

The Hersch

Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

To Julian Bond and Jonathan Daniels, icons of social justice and symbols of hope at very early ages, both of whose lives ended too soon in their own ways, one to vascular disease and one by a racist with a gun.

I hadn't been to this thread in a while, and hadn't heard that Julian Bond had died until earlier today on the radio. I didn't know him, but he came to American University, where I labored for 20 years, as a distinguished visiting professor in the early 1990s, during my employment there. During the "first Gulf War" in 1991, he participated in a forum at AU that I attended, and I have to say he was one of the most impressive men I've ever encountered. He led a fine and exemplary life, and I raise a glass to his memory.

#1738 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

To the 3 Americans and one Brit who disarmed a terrorist on a French train and saved countless lives.

#1739 Bart

Bart

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Boy, I don't know if I'm "drinking" to him right now, but I'm certainly praying for Justin Wilson.

RIP

Young guy, two young daughters, freak accident.  Sucks.

#1740 Tujague

Tujague

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

To Donald Capps. He likely means little to people on this forum, but I edited four books by this brilliant Princeton Theological Seminary professor, who was one of the loveliest--and quirkiest--people it has ever been my pleasure to know and work with. He wrote openly of his struggles with social phobia, which made communicating with him a challenge, and he was a lifelong holdout on producing his manuscripts on a typewriter, not a word processor. The brother of the late Congressman Walter Capps and brother-in-law of current California congresswoman Lois Capps, often called the "nicest person in Congress." Don maybe was the nicest person in the world of theology--a heartbreaking end to a distinguished career.

• DaveO likes this

#1741 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

Darryl Dawkins.  I've never been a big pro basketball fan but he's one of the guys I followed.  Only 58 :( .

#1742 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

Darryl Dawkins.  I've never been a big pro basketball fan but he's one of the guys I followed.  Only 58 :( .

Dr. Dunkenstein. :(

#1743 Lary

Lary

Hank Aaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

They don't have beer here but when i can, one for my partner in business and matrimony who just popped out our little dude

#1744 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

They don't have beer here but when i can, one for my partner in business and matrimony who just popped out our little dude

That's fantastic, Lary!

• Lary likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users