Zeke's D.C. Donutz (was Cool Disco Donuts) - Owner Aaron Gordon in West Dupont on 21st and P Street - Closed

The Washingtonian has a blog post about the new Cool Disco Donuts that's having a soft opening this Friday and grand opening next Friday in the old Tangysweet space on P Street. Owner is Aaron Gordon of Tangysweet.

The picture on the blog post is ultra cheesy, and the doughnut trend is already verging on trite even though all these doughnut places haven't opened yet, but the name Cool Disco Donuts made me laugh (thinking of seeing the Cool "Disco" Dan graffiti and some personal memories of times when I was in DC when the graffiti was around.)

• Like 1

but the name Cool Disco Donuts made me laugh (thinking of seeing the Cool "Disco" Dan graffiti and some personal memories of times when I was in DC when the graffiti was around.)

Thanks goodness--I was afraid I was the only one who thought of Cool "Disco" Dan when I saw this!

Not even hardly.

First thing that came to my mind, too.

I had absolutely nooooooo idea what all you old folks were talking about, so I looked Cool Disco Dan up on Wikipedia.

Wow! Who knew? :rolleyes:

Danny gone mainstream.

Cheers,

Cool "Crisco" Don

That tag was everywhere...as a student at GW in the early-mid 90s, who didn't stray too far from campus/foggy bottom, I still saw it all the time.

It was absolutely everywhere. It's hard to imagine someone who grew up in this area and lived here at the time being unaware of him :huh: .

I liked the name. Too bad they felt they had to change it (unless he himself asked for it to change, but the article ^ doesn't sound that way).

I may get killed for this, but here it goes.

Why the outrage over the name of the doughnut shop and the calls for them to change it?

I have never heard of Cool Disco Dan. My guess is that most people that will frequent this shop have never heard of him. The owner made a point to say that this is a homage to Cool Disco Dan, so he has no ill will. As far as I know, Cool Disco Dan has not trademarked his name and, even if he did, I'm not sure that calling your place Cool Disco Donuts would cause some sort of legal issue (I am not a lawyer, I have no idea about this).

Has Cool Disco Dan come out and said that he is pissed about this happening (I don't even know if he is alive)? If not, why are people posting comments like these on Washingtonian's site.

"You steal a mans name and fame, what a shitty way to get yourself noticed."

"I'm positive Cool "Disco" Dan would like more than just a nod to his name. I hope this place fails miserably."

"I'm sure when Dan was risking legal and physical well being walking every inch of a crack war-ravaged city, writing his name EVERYWHERE to inspire a little awe and give a little identity/character/culture to this city, he thought, "maybe someday, a trend hopping business group can pimp and exploit my sacrifice, for some money for themselves."

"This is a very poor attempt to co-opt the name & legacy of cool "disco" dan....not to mention the aesthetic looks awful. this place does not deserve a single customer and i hope they go away as quickly as they came."

Somehow all of these people KNOW how Cool Disco Dan feels about this happening and are wishing complete and utter failure on a business by trying to have a little fun with their shop and naming it after someone that they like and respect.

To me, it seems completely over the top.

• Like 1

Why the outrage over the name of the doughnut shop and the calls for them to change it?

Cool "Disco" Dan is an absolute legend in the graffiti scene, and to anyone who's spent much time around DC in the 80s and 90s. He's a real person, he's alive, and he's not well-off. Some of the people writing the outraged comments DO know Dan.

This isn't about people in DC not wanting to have any fun, this is about someone opening a shop and capitalizing on the name of a living person without any thought of involving or compensating that person. They could have hired Dan to do the graffiti work in the shop. They could have tried to get his blessing before naming it. They did neither.

Could I open a place called Don Rocks Rockfish Grill, without consulting with Don or approaching him about it? Sure. Would most people who go there know who Don is? No. Could it be an homage to Don with no ill will intended? Sure. Would it still be an incredibly shitty thing to do? Absolutely.

• Like 4

Whoa! Lots of donuts in a 4 block area that has a checkered past when it comes to the delicacy. Wasn't there a Fractured Prune on that block for a hot minute a few years ago? There is a Krispy Kreme a couple blocks away and another donut shop opening on Connecticut Ave south of the circle?

Could I open a place called Don Rocks Rockfish Grill, without consulting with Don or approaching him about it? Sure. Would most people who go there know who Don is? No. Could it be an homage to Don with no ill will intended? Sure. Would it still be an incredibly shitty thing to do? Absolutely.

There goes my Borf burger franchise.

• Like 3

According to this article in the Post, Gordon did attempt to contact Dan while planning the shop and is open to including him in some way. No one has been able to locate him recently, including the filmmaker who made the documentary opening this month and the curator of the Corcoran exhibit.

(The final letter of the shop name is "z" now.)

The name change to Zeke's is going to hurt the business.

The thing to do, if possible, would be to somehow get in touch with Dan Hogg, get permission to use the name, have him do the graffiti, and offer him 5% of the profits (or some such thing). Hell, offer him a job if he wants one.

It would be a big deal, especially to tourists; Zeke's D.C. Donutz? Tourists are going to go to Krispy Kreme.

Cool Disco Donuts is a great idea, executed poorly, but still very salvageable, and if I were Aaron Gordon, I'd be doing everything in my power to make it happen.

The name change to Zeke's is going to hurt the business.

The thing to do, if possible, would be to somehow get in touch with Dan Hogg, get permission to use the name, have him do the graffiti, and offer him 5% of the profits (or some such thing). Hell, offer him a job if he wants one.

It would be a big deal, especially to tourists; Zeke's D.C. Donutz? Tourists are going to go to Krispy Kreme.

Cool Disco Donuts is a great idea, executed poorly, but still very salvageable, and if I were Aaron Gordon, I'd be doing everything in my power to make it happen.

Absolutely what Gordon should now do. Agree with Rocks that doing this right could be the difference. The Zekes name will cause confusion (the coffee guys, Baltimore based and now at the Sunday Bethesda Farmers' Market, are looking for their own retail space in the area now) and not be memorable. Will become 'that donut place in Dupont.'

Doubt Dan is going to want to be involved in the store. Could always just rename it to "That Donut Place."

I'm not going to speak for him, but an offer of free money for essentially doing nothing (he doesn't have to do the graffiti, he doesn't have to take a job) would interest a lot of people.

Doubt Dan is going to want to be involved in the store. Could always just rename it to "That Donut Place."

You don't think he might be persuaded if 1) he could make some money doing it and 2) the donut guys approached him respectfully and empathetically?

Separately, your name idea reminds me of the "Restaurant" in Seinfeld. If they go with your idea, they'd have to have a big generic neon sign. :D

post-2258-0-52364400-1359736973_thumb.jp

I'm not going to speak for him, but an offer of free money for essentially doing nothing (he doesn't have to do the graffiti, he doesn't have to take a job) would interest a lot of people.

According to the Post, he doesn't have a fixed address despite multiple offers of help. Honestly even if he is interested, I don't really think a steady influx of cash for doing nothing would be beneficial to him.

According to the Post, he doesn't have a fixed address despite multiple offers of help. Honestly even if he is interested, I don't really think a steady influx of cash for doing nothing would be beneficial to him.

But as long as he's interested, that's the only real issue, right? Whether compensation would benefit him or not doesn't seem relevant, as long as he'd be interested in obtaining it.

(If anyone out there wants to use my name for money, you're welcome to tender me an offer.) :lol:

I had a hamburger named after me once without my permission, and without receiving any compensation, and quite honestly I was pretty darned flattered.

Social pressures aside, I'm pretty sure they could name this place Cool Disco Donuts if they wanted to. They could also open a tableware store called "Set Me Up."

I had a hamburger named after me once without my permission, and without receiving any compensation, and quite honestly I was pretty darned flattered.

Social pressures aside, I'm pretty sure they could name this place Cool Disco Donuts if they wanted to.

I'm not going to track down the thread but didn't you campaign for that burger recognition (BGR)? :D

With you on the Cool Disco thought but thing is if they do it without Dan's support, less clear the benefit would outweight all the "outrage" whether or not real.

It just seems to me that C"D"D is a street guy, and if he wanted to trade up for stability, he would have done so by now. After 20 years of notoriety, and a pending art exhibit, it would seem slightly odd to me if he chose to cash in for some fancy comfort foods shop is opening that happens to pay homage to his name. For example, I wouldn't expect my new venture "BORF's Borscht Emporium" to be well-received if it was clear that BORF made no affirmative moves to cash in on his post-incarceration notoriety.

After the whole kerfluffle I wanted to see what these divisive donuts actually tasted like.

Their hours don't seem to be regular at this point, and oddly, they didn't open until noon today (how is a donut shop not open in the morning?! :blink: ), but I stopped by shortly after noon. There were maybe 4-5 people eating a donut in the shop, and a couple people that looked to have gotten a dozen or more to go.

There were perhaps 10-12 varieties available when I was there, ranging from Mexican chocolate to creme brulee to red velvet to PB and bacon. I decided to give the Peanut Butter and Bacon a shot.

Decent donut (smelled great in the bag, but tasted fairly average), and when compared to the bacon donut at Voodoo in Portland it doesn't really stand up. The PB frosting was pretty understated, so it mostly tasted of yeast donut with some bacon and a slight hint of PB.

It is a large donut, but at nearly $3 with tax, I am just not sure its worth it. Granted, most cupcake places around town are charging $3-4, and I don't see this as dissimilar, but when I can go to Krispy Kreme (two blocks away and actually closer to my office) and have a donut for $1, it's a tough choice. They do have some interesting flavors, and I may venture back to try something else, but the one today didn't completely win me over.

I was walking down P street Saturday afternoon and decided to drop in. Pretty medicore stuff.

The donut itself is somewhere between a Krispy Kreme and a Dunkin Donut in texture. We went with the chocolate glaze with caramel spheres. The chocolate was not very chocolate-y. The spheres could have been anything. And the donut didn't have much flavor. For all the toppings it was oddly bland.

I don't think Krispy Kreme has much to fear.

Mods: Zeke's is closer to 21st and P than to 20th and P (for the thread title)

Went by here today. Door was open. Lights on. Three or so guys at the back having lunch (or donuts?) at a table. Lots of equipment and furniture cluttering the floor between the door and that table. On second glance, saw a sign on the door that read "Closed for construction--Back Open Thursday".

Huh? Didn't they just open?

Why does this seem like a business that doesn't have its act together? They had a great name. They're closed this week after opening last weekend. Early reviews not promising. DC absolutely has room for a quality independent donut shop. Etc. Etc.

Mods: Zeke's is closer to 21st and P than to 20th and P (for the thread title)

Went by here today. Door was open. Lights on. Three or so guys at the back having lunch (or donuts?) at a table. Lots of equipment and furniture cluttering the floor between the door and that table. On second glance, saw a sign on the door that read "Closed for construction--Back Open Thursday".

Huh? Didn't they just open?

Why does this seem like a business that doesn't have its act together? They had a great name. They're closed this week after opening last weekend. Early reviews not promising. DC absolutely has room for a quality independent donut shop. Etc. Etc.

Could easily be a post-opening inspection that forced a two-day closure. Nothing to judge a restaurant poorly about, I assure you. Let them open when they do.

I'm more focused on initial quality. Gotta hit on all cylinders or it'll be another Fractured Prune

The problem with Fractured Prune (at least the Rockville location) was their hours.

They were right next to the County government seat, courts, etc., but weren't open for the morning breakfast rush (they opened at 10 or 11). So all that business went to Starbucks. They also closed at 7p or 8p at night, so all the dessert business from the 10 or so adjacent restaurants went to the ice cream store.

Not sure when they actually sold donuts...

...Why does this seem like a business that doesn't have its act together? They had a great name. They're closed this week after opening last weekend. Early reviews not promising. DC absolutely has room for a quality independent donut shop. Etc. Etc.

Could easily be a post-opening inspection that forced a two-day closure. Nothing to judge a restaurant poorly about, I assure you. Let them open when they do.

I'm more focused on initial quality. Gotta hit on all cylinders or it'll be another Fractured Prune

The problem with Fractured Prune (at least the Rockville location) was their hours. ...

Re: DanielK and collige, exactly. I'd questioned Zeke's due to more than four factors (just above), not at all just the construction and reclosure. Then again, maybe Don is right and when they re-open they'll also have the quality improved and draw plenty of traffic with good hours and promotion. Hope so.

The problem with Fractured Prune (at least the Rockville location) was their hours. ...

In my experience, the problem with Fractured Prune was the grotesque donuts. They were just too much, most of them covered in cloying glaze of one kind or another then some other extra sugar-product (jimmies, choc chips, whatnot) stuck all over the glaze.

If there is room in this cupcake-saturated era for a local donut shop, it has to succeed by offering something substantially different from cupcake - something more sophisticated (I am not joking), a little more subtle. And no bacon for pete's sake.

• Like 1

In my experience, the problem with Fractured Prune was the grotesque donuts. They were just too much, most of them covered in cloying glaze of one kind or another then some other extra sugar-product (jimmies, choc chips, whatnot) stuck all over the glaze.

If there is room in this cupcake-saturated era for a local donut shop, it has to succeed by offering something substantially different from cupcake - something more sophisticated (I am not joking), a little more subtle. And no bacon for pete's sake.

Well, methinks you won't like Zeke's then. When I went they were all quite glaze covered with extra candies on top and there was indeed a bacon donut.

The problem with Fractured Prune (at least the Rockville location) was their hours.

They were right next to the County government seat, courts, etc., but weren't open for the morning breakfast rush (they opened at 10 or 11). So all that business went to Starbucks. They also closed at 7p or 8p at night, so all the dessert business from the 10 or so adjacent restaurants went to the ice cream store.

Not sure when they actually sold donuts...4

Are you thinking of the Rockville location (edit: Duh, I can't read).

There was a Fractured Prune location in Dupont (23rd and P, right near where this place is located) that I was referring to which closed before the Rockville store did. You''re right about the Rockville location, hours sucked there.

Well, methinks you won't like Zeke's then. When I went they were all quite glaze covered with extra candies on top and there was indeed a bacon donut.

I assumed Zeke's donuts (based on their initial comments I've read of folks that've sampled their product) would be not that dissimilar to FP's. I personally didn't mind FP (but it was nothing special that I had to go out of my way to come back), but my waistline disagreed lol. Location I felt was an issue at the Dupont branch. On weekends, I hardly ever saw anyone frequent around 23rd and P (sorta of a forgotten place) but perhaps that's changed (I doubt it though). At least KK is RIGHT at the metro entrance / exit.

I assumed Zeke's donuts (based on their initial comments I've read of folks that've sampled their product) would be not that dissimilar to FP's. I personally didn't mind FP (but it was nothing special that I had to go out of my way to come back), but my waistline disagreed lol. Location I felt was an issue at the Dupont branch. On weekends, I hardly ever saw anyone frequent around 23rd and P (sorta of a forgotten place) but perhaps that's changed (I doubt it though). At least KK is RIGHT at the metro entrance / exit.

Well, I was hoping for something more like Doughnut Plant in NYC -- very intense flavors (fruit, chocolate) but not overly sweet and not covered in crap. I am not a fan of FP at all -- way too sweet for me. If I want a sweet donut I just get a regular glazed KK (or three).

• Like 1

Zeke's is a donut shop. So I'll do this one a bit tongue-in-cheek. Donuts are fun, right?

I'm not a donut expert. Nor am I even a donut connoisseur. In this way, and speaking only for myself of course, donuts aren't like coffee...or bagels...or milkshakes...or XLB...just to throw out a few examples of things for which I have more enthusiasm and thus knowledge. That said, I think I generally know the difference between great/good versus garbage in donuts (though maybe not as sharp on the difference between great and good). I know that yeast and cake are the two primary types. I know that, as with most anything, using better quality, purer, more honestly sourced ingredients is a good thing. And, I know that Tabard Inn has my favorite donuts in town but only on Sunday mornings. I like lighter, fluffier, gently sweetened and nicely flavored donuts. Your mileage may--and almost certainly will-vary.

All necessary context for a Zeke's reaction now that I've had a chance to give it a try. Wasn't easy btw. They did that open-close-open thing a few weeks ago. Don rightly cautioned to cut them some slack about that. Then I found out the hard way they're closed Tuesdays. Information that was available in the public domain had I tried to find it. Neither here nor there.

VENUE

Pretty bare bones with what I guess could euphemistically be called an "open kitchen," which is more a function of the shoebox size of the place than of some donut chef's desire to involve his donut obsessed patrons in the act of frying and frosting dough. That said, I was suprised to see they had as much seating as they do with maybe 5 or 6 two-tops off to the right and 2 or 3 high, one-person tables straight ahead when you enter and approach the counter. Decor wasn't particularly memorable or distracting. Location should be great from a foot traffic perspective, of course, right off Dupont Circle to the west and close to metro. But, alas, probably high rent as well. These guys will need to really sell alot of donuts given their pricing. I'd guess thinking about wholesale asap will be important to boost their chances. There's a small glass display case to the left of the register. I like that for its simplicity and also for the fact that it holds a manageable number of their donuts of the day; maybe 8-12 varieties.

SERVICE

It's not a restaurant with table service kind of place. It's a donut shop. So not a ton to say here. They young, dark haired woman staffing the register was a great ambassador for the place though. A converted barista from San Diego, she knows the product, has a lot of enthusiasm and was very nice.

THE DONUTS

I think I have to call these quality donuts. Probably "good" for me but very much a function of what I prefer. They had funky flavors (e.g., peanut butter and bacon, pineapple something, red velvet and cream cheese) along with more standard fare (e.g., vanilla glazed, chocolate glazed, rasberry glazed and a few filled varieties, one with chocolate custard and the other, called "Creme Brulee" filled with vanilla cream or custard. I figured best to start with a basic model since, I'm not really a big donut guy as already explained.

The vanilla glazed had very good flavor. And that's likely because they seem to be doing the right thing with ingredients. The vanilla glaze involves actual smashed vanilla beans along with a good quality madagascar (not tahitian, mind you :D ) vanilla extract. Definite good, quality vanilla flavor.

However, as with all the donuts displayed when I was there, the vanilla is a lot of donut. Yeast donuts all. But a bit dense and, to my way of thinking, one donut is too much donut. I asked about this and was cheerily told they are doing (have done?) smaller versions. I got a head nod and a smile when I asked if they'd do "munchkins" which probably betrayed my donut cluelessness vividly. Good that they understand that not everyone wants a half pound (or whatever it is) donut though. Points for that to be sure.

BOTTOM LINE

They price the regular glazed donuts at $2.30 or $2.40 with the most expensive specialty models at $2.70. That clocks in at a nickel less than any cupcake at that over-hyped local leading cupcake joint so guessing the prices are right here to give these guys a shot at donut immortality, however tough to achieve. Nice people. A clear focus on quality. And, reasonable pricing. I won't be a regular here but that's just because I'm not a regular for donuts anywhere. But if you're a donut afficionado with some real donut expertise, you should include this place on your scorecard. Then educate the donut dummies like me. Are these great? Merely good? Something worse? They're surely trying. We don't have many independent donut shops. Etc.

Final thought about Zekes. Now having been, I'm even more convinced they should have stuck with Cool DC Donutz (or was it Donuts?). They'll need to really break out from the tsunami of cupcake and cookie and pastry and coffee places threatening to wash away the entire city. And that name would help them more imho. But, so long as enough donut lovers love these donuts, they'll not only be cool. They'll be sustainable. I'd like to see them succeed even though I won't be a major customer.

• Like 1

Anything interesting going on there from a coffee perspective?

Totally forgot to address that--thanks for the prod. Of course I asked. :)

Regrettably in answer to your question, no.

They use M.E. Swings. My initial reaction to that was to sigh in disappointment since I tend to think of the venerable Swings like I do Mayorga and, increasingly Quartermaine: roaster/retailers who've been around from long before the coffee boom in the city with their best days long behind them. I can say that with certainty for Mayorga and Quartermaine but have to qualify the view with Swings for one reason. I don't think I've been to the Swings shop. I need to do that to be fully informed but have had the coffee and know quite a bit already that informs a view. Incredibly, I don't think we have a thread for Swings. I'll start one and go a bit deeper there.

Suffice to say here, try the coffee at Zeke's if there and, if you like it, that's all that matters. On the other hand, from Zeke's you're within walking distance to two of the best coffee shops in the city in Dolcezza on the west side of Connecticut just north of the circle and Filter just a block east of Dolcezza on 20th below Florida Ave NW.

Totally forgot to address that--thanks for the prod. Of course I asked. :)

Regrettably in answer to your question, no.

They use M.E. Swings. My initial reaction to that was to sigh in disappointment since I tend to think of the venerable Swings like I do Mayorga and, increasingly Quartermaine: roaster/retailers who've been around from long before the coffee boom in the city with their best days long behind them. I can say that with certainty for Mayorga and Quartermaine but have to qualify the view with Swings for one reason. I don't think I've been to the Swings shop. I need to do that to be fully informed but have had the coffee and know quite a bit already that informs a view. Incredibly, I don't think we have a thread for Swings. I'll start one and go a bit deeper there.

Suffice to say here, try the coffee at Zeke's if there and, if you like it, that's all that matters. On the other hand, from Zeke's you're within walking distance to two of the best coffee shops in the city in Dolcezza on the west side of Connecticut just north of the circle and Filter just a block east of Dolcezza on 20th below Florida Ave NW.

Yeah, Swing's is "serviceable" but muddy.