Mary went, Mary went.
Everywhere that Mary went
the lamb was sure to go.

Mary went to Naan and Beyond,
Naan and Beyond, Naan and Beyond
Mary went to Naan and Beyond
and grilled that lamb to go.

Is this the place at 17th and L?

If you're close to Nirvana (K between 18th & 19th -- I'm not being metaphysical here), Naan & Beyond is worth your while for a tasty and inexpensive Indian lunch. It's a small take out shop with a few tables on L between Connecticut & 17th. At lunchtime, the line is always out the door, but it goes quickly. They have tandoori chicken, lamb, shrimp, etc, which you can get wrapped in freshly baked naan with shredded cabbage and mayo. They also have chicken biryani, vegetable biryani, and lamb biryani (although the lamb was very dry and I liked the chicken much better), as well as chicken or vegetable samosas. The food has a nice bit of spiciness and the sauces they offer are good too -- mango sauce, green sauce and hot sauce. You can also get a whole or half tandoori chicken -- I haven't tried that yet, but it looks good.

Back in August I came out of the foodie closet to my coworkers when I made them come with me to Naan. They have listened to almost every suggestion since. I hit Naan everytime I have to go over to my other campus for meetings. I usually get the lamb or chicken biryani. The lamb has always been fine, not dry at all. I top the whole thing with the mango and green sauces. I think the green one is cucumber.

This reminds me...where can one find kati rolls in this town? It's Indian street food, sort of a slim south Asian burrito if you will, but wrapped in paratha, not in naan. I chowed down on a few at The Kati Roll Company during my last visit to Manhattan, and loved them, particularly the unda aloo masala.

Naan and Beyond is one of the places I miss most, now that I no longer work in Dupont Circle. I loved running down there for a chicken tikka sandwich with mango sauce. The homemade potato chips were fantastic! I tried the new outlet in the National Press Club building that opened sometime last summer, and it wasn't nearly as good.

I LOVE Naan and Beyond <_<

I try to bring my lunch from home most days (to save money and a few calories), but on the days I don't, I often find myself in line at N&B.

My go-to selection is the chicken tikka wrap with mango salsa. I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it is delicious. Also a side order of homemade chips with another cup of mango salsa to dip them in. The chips can range from covered in spice that will make you sweat to barely spiced at all, but they're always tasty.

If you work in the area and haven't been yet, I highly recommend a trip down.

Wow- this place is awesome!

I was a little put off at first by the gruff counter guy- who after I ordered a Chicken Tikka roll handed me one that had been pre-wrapped.

Then I tried the food. The chicken was moist, flavorful and fantastic. The naan was great, nice and chewy, with none of the bitter aftertaste naan sometimes has.

The sauces were standout, I got one of each. The mango sauce was sweet, and the perfect accompaniment to the chips. The cucumber/yoghurt green sauce had a nice tang and was a good cool down to the fiery red sauce, that packed some heat, with good flavor.

The chips are my new addiction. Home made potato chips with an old bay style seasoning on them. Amazing. All this and a soda for 7.50 including tax.

I thought it interesting that on my way out of the Farragut North Metro stop on Friday night, I dropped into N&B to get some take-out -- and the place was packed (at about 8:45p) with South Asian families. Can't always judge a place by its clientele, of course, but ethnic restaurants that are popular with people of that particular ethnicity are generally better than, uh, those that aren't.

Maybe I am missing something but where are the potato chips? I looked behind the counter, on the menu, all over while I waited for my chicken tikka today but couldn't find them. Despite the long wait the tikka was great although next time I'll ask for it without the tomato which did nothing for the sandwhich other than take up space.

Maybe I am missing something but where are the potato chips?  I looked behind the counter, on the menu, all over while I waited for my chicken tikka today but couldn't find them.   Despite the long wait the tikka was great although next time I'll ask for it without the tomato which did nothing for the sandwhich other than take up space.

If you can't find them on the menu, no big deal, they have them - just say "With Homemade Chips, please." However, does anyone else find the chips to have a spicy hard-boiled egg taste/smell? Not that that's a bad thing, but after realizing this, I couldn't finish the entire bag...

If you can't find them on the menu, no big deal, they have them - just say "With Homemade Chips, please." However, does anyone else find the chips to have a spicy hard-boiled egg taste/smell? Not that that's a bad thing, but after realizing this, I couldn't finish the entire bag...

I have never noticed that...hope it doesn't ruin the chip experience for me! :) And btw, the chips are not on the big burgundy menu above the back wall. They are usually just mentioned on a little white sheet of paper taped to the glass of the counter where it also lists biryanis and such. But if you just ask I'm sure they'll be happy to add a bag to your order.

If you can't find them on the menu, no big deal, they have them - just say "With Homemade Chips, please."  However, does anyone else find the chips to have a spicy hard-boiled egg taste/smell?  Not that that's a bad thing, but after realizing this, I couldn't finish the entire bag...

You are not the only one to think this. It sounds like I'm the only one in Rockwellburg that would rather do without the chips.

I tried N&B today for the first time. Awesome!!! The chips are on the specials board outside and also on a piece of paper inside. The mint sause and mago sause are very good. the hot sause is just that hot with little taste beyond that. With so many people in the area we should have a 10 dollar lunch bunch down here (17&I) for me.

Scott

When I was working on 16th between L and M, Naan & Beyond was one of my staples. I'd nearly always get the Sheesh Tikka and load it up with hot sauce and mint. It's like nothing else available in that part of town.

Instead of the potato chips, which struck me as oddly flavored as well, I would go with a Vegetable Samosa. The Ground Chicken Samosa is a little bland, but the veggie has a nice blend of potatoes, carrots and peas and a fried, crispy wrapper. Get an extra mint sauce, take a bite, pour it in the hole, repeat. A simple side that fills you up if the tikkas aren't quite big enough.

As far as the half and whole tandoori chickens go, I think they're good deals quantity-wise. They slather on a neon red tandoori paste that keeps the meat moist in the oven. The chicken is pretty spicy, comfortably so for me but probably not for everyone. It's been about six months, but I believe their chicken is served with a fairly meager iceberg and tomato salad as well.

I also can't believe that no one has mentioned the characters behind the counter. They've got a guy back there who looks an Indian cross between Mr Clean and Mr. T. Bald head, gold chains, big fat earrings. We used to call him Mr. Sheesh.

Alex

When I was working on 16th between L and M, Naan & Beyond was one of my staples. I'd nearly always get the Sheesh Tikka and load it up with hot sauce and mint. It's like nothing else available in that part of town.

Ok, I'll admit that I'm only recently converting to Indian food and have pretty much stuck to the chicken tikka because I know it is delicious. What exactly is the sheesh tikka like?

However, does anyone else find the chips to have a spicy hard-boiled egg taste/smell?  Not that that's a bad thing, but after realizing this, I couldn't finish the entire bag...

Just a wild guess here, a stab in the dark, but maybe the chips are flavored with black salt? I feel an investigation coming on...

Ok, I'll admit that I'm only recently converting to Indian food and have pretty much stuck to the chicken tikka because I know it is delicious.  What exactly is the sheesh tikka like?

I enjoy N&B's Chicken Tikka, though I have at times run into disappointingly dry chicken in my tikkas there. Sheesh Tikka (it may be spelled shish there, now I'm not sure) is spiced, minced lamb shaped into tubes, like sausage with no casing. The flavor of the herbs is more potent (and different) in the sheesh than the chicken. It reminds me somewhat of well-grilled chorizo, in that the meat is very well seasoned and it doesn't feel slick or moist like some sausages.

Other than that, the sheesh tikka has the same stuff as the chicken tikka. Thin sliced cabbage (I think it's cabbage, yes?) and a dab of mayo wrapped in hot naan.

Alex

- Edited to include other contents of the tikka... duh.

Just a wild guess here, a stab in the dark, but maybe the chips are flavored with black salt?  I feel an investigation coming on...

I have never been to this place but I am venturing a guess -- i agree it could be black salt which tends to smell like sulphur.... It tastes good once you get past the smell :)

Had a nice lunch at Naan & Beyond today. Had the delicious chicken tikka special (wrap, chips, and soda) for $6.50. What a deal! I enjoyed the mango sauce much more than the mint as it had a nice sweet and sour thing going on. Chips were good and spicy, but I did not detect the flavor of black salt. They are pretty efficient as the long line disappears rather quickly.

Anybody know offhand what their hours are? I was there three weeks ago around 3:30, 4:00 and they were closed. I'd like to give it another shot but it's a pretty long walk for me, as far as treks for lunch go, especially for potentially nothing!

ETA: Apparently that day was a fluke. The guy on the phone said they serve until 9:00. The phone is a wonderful invention.

Is there another branch of Naan and Beyond in the Metro Center area? A couple of my co-workers today had Indian food for lunch from some food court near the National Press Club building and I think I may have seen "Naan and Beyond" on the receipt. Around 13th and Penn?

Is there another branch of Naan and Beyond in the Metro Center area? A couple of my co-workers today had Indian food for lunch from some food court near the National Press Club building and I think I may have seen "Naan and Beyond" on the receipt. Around 13th and Penn?
Yes, there is one in the food court at the National Press Club Building- 14th and F...

Ssee the first page of this thread for at least one person's opinion of it.

I just started a new job in the Metro Center area and I had been in Farragut for over 2.5 years. I was sad to leave the L St. Naan and Beyond, but I tried the one in the National Press Building today, and while it wasn't as good as the original, I think it could fill in ok for the time being. The chicken biryani was good, but the huge chunks of chicken in it made it a little more difficult to eat than the smaller chunks in the other location. They also have a spinach and cheese samosa which isn't available on L St. I thought it had more flavor than the veggie samosas I've had in the past. Next time I will try to chicken tikka and chips (my staple at the orignal) and see how they compare. Really I only go there for the mango salsa though and that was as good as ever :)

Next time I will try to chicken tikka and chips (my staple at the orignal) and see how they compare.

Had the chicken tikka today (they didn't have any chips) and I'm happy to report that it was actually pretty good. One of the guys that usually works at the L St. location was working today at National Place so maybe they're doing more integration to make it more uniform. Either way, I really can't get enough of that mango salsa.

Although I hit N&B fairly often for lunch (it's our go-to for indian food around the office), today was a day of two new things for me:

1) tried the chips after reading this thread...pretty good, liberally hit with cayenne pepper and decently crunchy. any egg taste as noted above was obliterated by the spiciness

2) chicken biryani. a side order is real cheap (~$3?) and is a suprisingly large portion of rice with big chunks of chicken throughout. i found a couple whole cloves interspersed, but at the price, it's hard to complain.

i don't think i'll be getting the wraps much anymore...biryani and chips/samosa please.

Made a special trip out to the L street spot, as the lady and I were playing hooky from work.

The chicken tikka sandwich was fantastic and I would eat anything that the mango sauce is on, but for one thing:

The lamb was so painfully dry and riven with gristle that it was a horrible mistake to put it in a sandwich, as that wonderful naan hid the unmarinated-goat-like nuggets of jawbreaking mutton that caused my normally demure dining companion to spit her mouthful into her hand.

Even she, considerably grumpy after the lamb, admitted that the chicken was pretty good.

Downside: prices have gone up: a side of chicken biryani is now $4, which makes the whole lunch (biryani, veg samosa, chips) over $7 now ;)

Upside: the chips were phenomenal today. Better than they've been in months (which is not to say they've been bad). I think we might've just gotten lucky and got them straight from the fryer. Made my day :)

I had a class downtown today and perked up when I noticed Naan and Beyond on my walk there. What a disappointment. :lol: Chewy, dense bread stuffed with dry, flavorless chicken tikka and dressed with wan cabbage & tomato and a mango sauce with no punch to it at all. The veggie samosa was greasy and the cilantro sauce was thin and watery. What a bummer.

ETA: no chips either. :lol:

I had a class downtown today and perked up when I noticed Naan and Beyond on my walk there. What a disappointment. :lol: Chewy, dense bread stuffed with dry, flavorless chicken tikka and dressed with wan cabbage & tomato and a mango sauce with no punch to it at all. The veggie samosa was greasy and the cilantro sauce was thin and watery. What a bummer.

ETA: no chips either. :lol:

Chips make the meal. Also, the wraps are not awesome. I haven't had one in at least a year. The way to go is chips+samosa+chickenBiryani. It's up to $7.70 after tax and yes it's greasy, but damn, it's good.

My office is moving to Chinatown at the end of this week and I will seriously miss n&b

Chips make the meal. Also, the wraps are not awesome. I haven't had one in at least a year. The way to go is chips+samosa+chickenBiryani. It's up to $7.70 after tax and yes it's greasy, but damn, it's good.

My office is moving to Chinatown at the end of this week and I will seriously miss n&b

There's another location in the Shops at National Place, right? Not that far a walk from Chinatown...

Interesting. Will investigate next week.

The one in the national place shops (as well as the P street location, if it still exists) has a much bigger menu than the 17th & L location.

They have thali platters available. I did a walk-by last week and I will probably go in the near future. I am a sucker for butter chicken, even if it's steam tray butter chicken.

When I tried a thali at the P street location about a year ago, the quality was so-so, but the stuff at National Place didn't look half bad.

And I think there was a sign about 10% off after 3 pm (on a card on the tables, advertising a food court happy hour after 3 pm).

I'm the opposite: I like the wraps and find the samosas to be too greasy and dense. I admit that I only go there for the chips anyway; there are better sandwich options closer to my office.

When I ate at the one at National Place, I was able to get a small chicken biryani with sauce from one of the hot dishes. It was delicious. At the one on L Street, I usually just get a small chicken biryani and maybe a veg. samosa. I've found the filling in the chicken samosas to be pretty dry.

The samosas really aren't what they used to be. They were on the drier side today, and I guess in accordance with the rising food prices - smaller. Though it seems like we're better start getting used to living in Lilliputian land... not that it's a bad thing for waistlines (my two samosas were more than sufficient) - my friend's oatmeal chocolate chip cookie from Potbelly was noticeably smaller.

I am not an expert on Indian food. And, Indian food is probably not the best choice for lunch when it is a bajillion degrees outside (I foresee me leaving work early today). But, my lunch at Naan and Beyond (LStreet location) today dealt a blow the Indian food craving that I had. Lunch special (rice, naan, chicken curry, vegetable) was tasty and a good value at $8.35. The vegetable samosa had good heat to it, but they should have called it a potato samosa because there were no other vegetables in it. It was a pretty good size for $1.25 and not greasy at all. Overall, I would say it is a good lunch spot, especially if you get it to go (it was pretty steamy in the shop at lunchtime today).