On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

That's as may be, but it won't fit in the fridge.  :lol:

no, but you'll look really hot with a bottle of wine and a baguette sticking out of the top case. :huh: Everyone looks hot on a Vespa.

edit: uh, Don, why did this post show up on this thread?!

Edited by porcupine

I guess we're still in a wait-and-see mode for Shanghai Cafe on Sunday at 12:30pm, so if you're interested in joining, send me a PM with your email address, and check in here tomorrow morning...

We waited, we saw, and there's no reason to risk life and limb for soup dumplings.

Well, it was close, but limbs win. We'll try again soon.

We waited, we saw, and there's no reason to risk life and limb for soup dumplings.

Well, it was close, but limbs win. We'll try again soon.

eh, I dunno, for soup dumplings I'd risk alot. The truck has high clearance, and if I put it in 4WDH I should be able to get there. Just kidding. I am so craving those soup dumplings, though.

One of the coolest musicians I've heard in a long time, Virgil Cane, is playing at Vermilion on Wednesday night around 10 PM. I know, school night, but this guy's worth it...promise! He is literally a one-man-band and mixes his original compositions with amazing covers that he's tweaked just a bit.

For those interested, I was going to grab a bite to eat in the bar around 8:45 and hang around for the show. Anyone care to join me???

One of the coolest musicians I've heard in a long time, Virgil Cane, is playing at Vermilion on Wednesday night around 10 PM.  I know, school night, but this guy's worth it...promise!  He is literally a one-man-band and mixes his original compositions with amazing covers that he's tweaked just a bit. 

For those interested, I was going to grab a bite to eat in the bar around 8:45 and hang around for the show.  Anyone care to join me???

Quoth The Band: "Virgil Caine is the name, and I served on the Danville train"

Actually after googling Virgil Cane you find he's a very accomplished musician. Wednesday at 10:00? I think I can make that.

A couple is passing through town on Thursday, with a brand new baby (about a week old). Since the new mom used to live here, she has friends she'd like to see and introduce the little one to. Total invitation list, including parents, around 16. We don't know who can come - travel plans were made today, so nobody has been invited yet. We're anticipating 10-12 will show up. Since the baby will be with us, we'd like someplace relatively quiet, or perhaps a separate room. Good food, but obviously our focus won't be on the meal. Moderate prices.

Any suggestions? Or are we nuts for even trying? DC, Arlington, Falls Church area.

Suggestions for catering/take out for a dozen people in the Falls Church area would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

A couple is passing through town on Thursday, with a brand new baby (about a week old). Since the new mom used to live here, she has friends she'd like to see and introduce the little one to. Total invitation list, including parents, around 16. We don't know who can come - travel plans were made today, so nobody has been invited yet. We're anticipating 10-12 will show up. Since the baby will be with us, we'd like someplace relatively quiet, or perhaps a separate room. Good food, but obviously our focus won't be on the meal. Moderate prices.

Any suggestions? Or are we nuts for even trying? DC, Arlington, Falls Church area.

Suggestions for catering/take out for a dozen people in the Falls Church area would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Daily Grill in Tysons II has a private room, though I don't know how big it is. Foxfire Grill (intersection of Braddock and 236, not too far from Bailey's Crossroads) is an outstanding local restaurant that can likely accommodate you. I have never seen Layalina packed, though the Syrian fare may not be for everyone. Caribbean Breeze in Ballston is another restaurant with lots of space normally. Minh's, in Clarendon, normally has tons of open tables, and while it's a Vietnamese restaurant, anyone who likes Chinese can eat there.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Try Dolce Vita in Fairfax. They have a separate little building which they use for overflow and private parties. I know it won't be a problem with your group and the baby. Plus you can order off the regular menu. Call Joe (or Ricardo) and tell him I sent you.

Edited to add, I have no affiliation with this restaurant,I am just thinking of the little room and the baby, and I mention to ask for these guys because otherwise whoever answers the phone will place you in the regular dining room at a large table.

Edited by RaisaB

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

As of last night we had just sent out invitations and had no solid idea of how many were coming. The guests of honor are driving in about 2 hours before dinner - with potential traffic snarls and a new baby in the car, that timing seems risky. So we chickened out and decided to do dinner at home.

Five minutes on the phone to Lebanese Taverna this morning and we're done. Nothing fancy, but certainly good enough (I hope!), inexpensive, and effortless.

I think that's an excellent solution. Lately I've been craving the mixed grill (chicken and lamb shawarma) with what I find to be spectacularly tasty rice. The hummus - any of its variants - is great, and I love the various sausage mezze.

Edited to correct my botched spelling job re: shawarma and to add that I might have to go to the Woodley Park location for lunch shortly.

Edited by JLK

Where were you thinking we should meet?  We going to have any newbies attend?

you could easily talk me into BP again. Or Firefly, as 1) I love bourbon and rye and 2) I never been there for HH. OTOH I am completely free and willing to go anywheres. Youse guys are de expoits. Youse decide.

you could easily talk me into BP again.  Or Firefly, as 1) I love bourbon and rye and 2) I never been there for HH.  OTOH I am completely free and willing to go anywheres.  Youse guys are de expoits.  Youse decide.

Well seeing as I am going to be at FF for lunch tomorrow that would be pretty easy for me. I could just plant myself in the corner of the lounge with my book(s) after lunch. :lol:

Of course BP sounds good too. So many choices. Anyone else have suggestions?

So, the last Friday of the month is fast approaching.  Is Danny B at NB going to stage another Don Rockwell happy hour by pouring some more of the old Nectar wine inventory?

i will happily close down the bar for a dr.com happy hour if there are at least 20 people committed to coming. even if it is not a private dr.com crowd, the last friday of the month will still be legacy libations night in the bar.

i will happily close down the bar for a dr.com happy hour if there are at least 20 people committed to coming.  even if it is not a private dr.com crowd, the last friday of the month will still be legacy libations night in the bar.

What time is HH? I am a newbie working in DC, perhaps I could be pursuaded to partake and drag my husband along.

What time is HH? I am a newbie working in DC, perhaps I could be pursuaded to partake and drag my husband along.

Folks usually wander in anywhere between 5 and 7. If you haven't been to NB yet, it's a great chance to check it out. If you haven't been to a DR event yet, it's a great chance to check it out.

Folks usually wander in anywhere between 5 and 7.  If you haven't been to NB yet, it's a great chance to check it out.  If you haven't been to a DR event yet, it's a great chance to check it out.

Sounds like fun. Would like a chance to meet anyone we may potentially see at the 2nd Corduroy night dinner.

I'm leaving Old Town Alexandria at about 12:30 today, and have an appointment in North Arlington at 2:20. I'm planning my route so I'll arrive at the Italian Store at about 1:00, and I should have time to wait in line and enjoy a sub before heading further down Route 29.

I'll be flying solo tonight at NB. Arrival time depends on when Mrs JPW finishes up at work so I can drop Peanut off with her.

Ctay122 -- I used to make that drive every day. At rush hour it was usually 45 minutes. I found that jumping onto 123 from the Toll Road and then the GW prakway was usually the fastest route.

No peanut :huh:

You could always go to my place to see her. I'm sure Mrs JPW would welcome the help in emptying out the family room for the painters coming tomorrow morning. :lol:

PeanutPoppa deserves, no, PeanutPoppa needs, a night off.

Edited by JPW

Black Sheep and I will likely be at NB by 6.  Danny, do you have an idea of what legacy libations may appear, or is it a surprise?

My +1 and I are leaning toward an appearance, and he was also asking about libation type. I told him I thought there might be whiskey?