On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

i am about to pull the wine for legacy libations night. i have no idea what we will be offering but it will be $5/glass. we will also be offering a selection of legacy bourbon that will be available for $5 for a shot, on the rocks etc., and $6 in a manhattan.

i have blocked a few tables for later this evening should a few people decide to dine with us as well.

one more thing, the bar will be non-smoking this evening.

looking forward to seeing everyone.

legacy libations night just wound down. somehow we once again hit the perfect numbers without violating firecode too badly. thank you to all those who made an appearance. it was so nice to put faces to screen names for several new people; and very nice to see the familar people again too.

hope everyone had as much fun as we did.

eta: the wifi for the property will be running by the next legacy libations night so hillvalley can post a "live from happy hour thread".

Edited by starfish

I second the thank you to Danny and his patient staff. We more than took over the bar area and the staff never blinked an eye or missed a beat.

There were about 20 of us, including members who don't post and/or had never joined us before. I hope you discovered why many of us find this a great way to unwind after the end of a long week and will join us again.

I wanted to say what a fun time my husband and I had here Fri night. It was our first DR HH...nice to put faces with online names. Everyone made us feel welcome. The wine selection was wonderul. We took the advice of several folks and stayed for dinner..it did not disappoint. Danny, thank you for being a gracious "host" and also thanks to Tom, who is an awesome bartender. We are looking forward to meeting other DR members at Corduroy on Wed night.

So, what time are folks showing up to Corduroy tonight? My plan is to skip out of work early and get down there - I'm shooting for around 6:30.

Just bear in mind that Corduroy's lounge area is not closed to the public while we're there. At least half of it was filled with non-DR members last night. :lol:

So, what time are folks showing up to Corduroy tonight? My plan is to skip out of work early and get down there - I'm shooting for around 6:30.

Everyone should get there early to be seated by 7pm so that things can get started promptly. I am not sure what time we started last night, but I am sure it was a bit after 7pm. Lets give the crew a break tonight so that they are not there too late.

Craig and I are aiming to be there by 6:30, since we will be in charge of the name tags and cat-herding. :lol:

Name tags?  We have to wear name tags?  Do we have to also pin our mittens to our coat sleves?

Last night it was so the servers could tell who and who wasn't getting the wine pairings, as the name tags were different for the two groups.

Name tags?  We have to wear name tags?  Do we have to also pin our mittens to our coat sleves?

We did this last night and it was a HUGE help to the staff. With the size of the crowd it is a small thing to ask to make their lives a little bit easier.

Edited by mdt

YES! And I'll be carrying a WHIP :lol::huh::)

Seriously, it's a real kindness to your fellow diners, particularly since several will be first-timers at a DR.com event and haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of us before. And SOME of you have darned weird aliases.

YES!  And I'll be carrying a WHIP :lol:   :huh:   :)

Seriously, it's a real kindness to your fellow diners, particularly since several will be first-timers at a DR.com event and haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of us before.  And SOME of you have darned weird aliases.

The name tags only have screen names on them. It will give you all a chance to introduce yourselves to each other.

I will make an appearance later in the evening. I know, not something to get excited about.

I am so jealous! I'm home with the flu and won't be able to make it to Corduroy tonight! I'm sending my husband and a friend with orders for a full report upon their return!

I hope everyone has a great time, and at 7:00 I'll raise my glass of juice and toast "To Rocks"!

Corduroy: Food = Good

Service = Not as Good...

We were getting our soup while others were starting to receive their second course and we wouldn't have gotten it then if I hadn't flagged down the manager(?) to ask why we weren't being served. Wine glasses were removed from people who had paid for the wine service, and overall service was very poorly organized. I hope tonights service is better. Maybe we should have waited until Wednesday night so that all of the kinks would be worked out.

Edited by Escoffier

Corduroy: Food = Good

Service = Bad

We were getting our soup while others were starting to receive their second course and we wouldn't have gotten it then if I hadn't flagged down the manager(?) to ask why we weren't being served.  Wine glasses were removed from people who had paid for the wine service,  and overall service was very poorly organized.  I hope tonights service is better.  Maybe we should have waited until Wednesday night so that all of the kinks would be worked out.

I am not going to reply to this because I am #$%#^$#%#%$ pissed off! After all they did THIS if the first damn thing that gets posted?!

The service was great from what I experienced and was told by many others that I talked with at the end of the night.

I am not going to reply to this because I am #$%#^$#%#%$ pissed off!  After all they did THIS if the first damn thing that gets posted?!

The service was great from what I experienced and was told by many others that I talked with at the end of the night.

I'm glad the service was good for you and next time I'm going to sit at your table so that we can enjoy the same level of service. I found the food very good and I'm not dissuaded from returning because I think the staff was overwhelmed by that number of people at one time. We will return during a "normal" time and see if the glitch was an anomaly. I certainly hope it was.

I'm simply stating what we observed. Sorry that you seem to feel that this is some grievous slam to Corduroy. I reported the slow service to the manager and things improved. I didn't ask for anything other than a reasonable level of service and when we got it, we were properly appreciative and expressed it.

I wasn't there last night, so I can't speak to anyone's specific experience.

However, I think that we all can appreciate the difference between preparing and serving meals in a restaurant where that preparation and service is staggered, and preparing and serving a banquet, such as the dinners last night and tonight, and other such large group events.

At the Maestro dinner, where 16 of us feasted in the private dining room, the wait between courses was a bit longer than it usually is for typical diners in the restaurant. That was OK. We understood. The food was worth waiting for. I heard no complaints.

With 50-odd folks dining all at once, I wouldn't expect every table to receive the food simultaneously. I don't know the kitchen, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't have space available to do 50 platings simultaneously, so I would guess that they plated in waves and served it as it was available.

As for the glasses being cleared erroneously, that was probably an honest mistake. I think the folks who paid for wine pairings were noted on their nametags, and there may have been a breakdown in communications about that, or nametags might not have been clearly visible. In any case, it hardly seems like a huge deal--I'm sure the glasses were returned and the wine poured when the error was pointed out.

The point of these dinners is not to judge the service--it will be different than on a normal night. The point is to enjoy great food and wine, and the company of other like-minded souls.

There are bound to be glitches at any event, and I've experienced some major ones recently, but I didn't allow those glitches to spoil my enjoyment of the food or the company. Had those glitches happened to me as a "regular" diner, however, I would have complained.

[i'll let these posts stand, for now, because they don't violate any rules except those of decency and common sense. If they were in the other thread, I'd delete them - they remind me of what happened after the half-priced Galileo event where the chef came in on her night off and gave us the entire Laboratorio. It doesn't have to be a mindless lovefest on this website, and thoughtful criticism will always be welcome here, but give me a break - Corduroy bent over backwards for this event.

Cheers,

Rocks.]

Hillvalley has made the point about anonymity before and it deserves repeating.  On the other hand, sitting down to a meal with fellow Rockwellians who screen names are unprounceable is a little bit awkward.  First names on a name tag isn't too much to ask.  Oh, I've got to run and slap name tags on everybody at Corduroy!

I always wanted to be Kram Retals. :lol:

there is HH at the Russia House Lounge where Andre makes KILLER cocktails. I think the have HH specials, check first to make sure.
Anybody know? That could be a good 'new' place to try out one Friday.

I'm not sure about their specials, but Russia House is quite The Scene on the weekend, with techno music and a lot of young, smoky Europeans in small clothes. Being a wet blanket, I prefer it on a weeknight.

I'll be whimming in your neighborhood next Thursday - 3/9.  I already have other dinner plans at Corduory, but would be interested in meeting up with folks at say Firefly or Palena.

I'm voting for Palena so there is a higher probability that I will be able to join you :lol: