On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Hey!  hey!  Hey!  One of those bottles has my name on it.  Nothing like a vinegar battle to start the weekend! :)

Battle Vinegar! Allez cuisine! :angry:

I think Jake will find homes for all five bottles easily, especially if anybody opens theirs to share a whiff or a taste, as we did during the l'Academie dinner yesterday. It's tremendous stuff...a bit too acetic and fluid to substitute for balsamico, but with a nose and flavor that put many to shame.

Let me add that I simply asked Jake last night to sell me two bottles, long before he posted anything about bringing only five tonight. I have a feeling I'll be picking the second one up at the picnic :angry:

I have always been dissatisfied with the lack of an appropriate name for the members of this forum; and despite the genius of Don, the Dude-et himself (please, please, please someone get this reference), it has always seemed a slight short-coming that his eponymous site lends no easy moniker to its participants.

Therefore I would like to propose that we henceforth be known, in honor of our Visionary and Leader, as the Society of the Fellowship of Diners, Restaurateurs, Undersea life forms, Nabobs, Knife experts, Artisinal producers and purveyors, Sommelliers, Servers, and Extraordinary Savants (albeit mostly of the idiot variety, case in point being presented right here).

I expect there to be no argument against this inarguably apt proposal, and that our new name be bestowed and recognized by our Grand Chief and Knight Errant, Don Pozo de Piedra, in due haste.

This thread is not at all what I expected, what with first misreading the topic as "an indecent proposal" instead of "an immodest proposal". Really, I thought it would be something like offering Nadya half-ownership in exchange for nightly pole dancing. Her, not you. :)

But having read your novel proposal, I further move that every member of the society should adopt the honorary title of Don, men and women alike (as we are a progressive group), but optional for those who are already named Don.

con rispetto,

Don Potato

I'm not sure the dude (-et) abides in this case.

Don Pozo de Piedra, "El Rojo Furioso," fears that I will reveal his secrets and therefore has banished my thread to where it will threaten him no more. Fear not, O Knight of the Rueful Figure! I am not your villainous Freston, and I have no designs on your precious crown of "Membrino". You and RozinanTTe are free to roam the enchanted country-side in search of errantry and valiant dining adventures!! Perhaps in your gallantry you will restore my thread and cease this moderatorial drubbing.

(I get a little strange around April 23)

There is a table of semi-rowdy friends and assorted Rockweillers heading to a Latin dim sum brunch at Cafe Atlantico tomorrow at noon to run amuck through the ---> menu. There is a seat at the table with your name on it - all you have to do is (1) be someone who has never been to any donrockwell.com events or whims before and (2) be the first one to PM or email me by 10:00am tomorrow morning to let me know that you can join us.

There is a table of semi-rowdy friends and assorted Rockweillers heading to a Latin dim sum brunch at Cafe Atlantico tomorrow at noon

I believe you mean members of the Society of the Fellowship of Diners, Restaurateurs, Undersea life forms, Nabobs, Knife experts, Artisinal producers and purveyors, Sommelliers, Servers, and Extraordinary Savants (albeit of the idiot variety).

On the other side of the happy hour spectrum -- and just a little more expensive -- are the new specials at Birreria Paradiso, which cut prices on all drafts at the Georgetown beer bar on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 5 to 7. Aficionados will think they've gone to heaven: You can get a pint of cask-conditioned ale (local brewer Capitol City last week) for $2; a goblet of Chimay or snifters of strong, rich St. Bernardus 12 only costs $4.12. When I stopped by, the best thing I tried was, not surprisingly, a beer I'd never heard of: Poperings Hommel Ale, a honey-hued Belgian ale with a surprising amount of hops. For $3.62, it was an easy decision.

I have to come into the city one night this week. Let's make it tonight?!

For what it's worth, I'll be at Buck's Fishing and Camping at about 5:30 (unless someone can suggest a place for dinner in the same area--I've looked at Our Mother's Restaurant Guide and the pickings are slim indeed).

I think they close at 6pm at dupont... :)

Can't be...I staggered in there one night after Bierreria Paradiso in search of Black and Tan ice cream (keep the theme going, right?) and while I don't remember what time that was, there was no way I was at B.P. before 7:00!

ETA: They didn't have it..

I just called. Harried young woman said "8."

I got my old purple Ben & Jerry's tee-shirt on, brought back from a pilgrimage to Vermont by Barack Obama, Bono and Scarlett Johansson for my tireless efforts on the behalf of peace and social justice. (Not really, but I think I scared a few of you in my first version of this post.)

I'm going!

I'm new to the group, so only met a few of you at the Circle Bistro HH this past Fri. Anyway, my SO and I will be at Citronelle Lounge tonight to try the Lobster Pea Bisque--they still have it on the menu. Will be there around 6:15 if anyone is interested.