On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Would anyone care to meet at Corduroy after work this evening (that is if anyone other than I is at work today) for a happy hour. Yesterday was the 1st anniversery of DR.com and a Corduroy happy hour gathering was the first time that Don went public with its existence. It only seems fitting to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak. Is anyone else game? Lent officially ends today.

Would anyone care to meet at Corduroy after work this evening (that is if anyone other than I is at work today) for a happy hour. Yesterday was the 1st anniversery of DR.com and a Corduroy happy hour gathering was the first time that Don went public with its existence. It only seems fitting to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak. Is anyone else game? Lent officially ends today.

I'm at work ;)

But I could probably be persuaded to make the trek across the river - at least for a little while. May as well end the week right - not that I need to go out AGAIN! <_<

I'll aim to be there around 5:30.

Would anyone care to meet at Corduroy after work this evening (that is if anyone other than I is at work today) for a happy hour.  Yesterday was the 1st anniversery of DR.com and a Corduroy happy hour gathering was the first time that Don went public with its existence.  It only seems fitting to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak.  Is anyone else game?  Lent officially ends today.

Was it just a year ago? (My expanding waistline thinks it has been longer than that <_< ) Yeah, you'll really have to twist my arm to get me go to Corduroy and toast "To Rocks!" ;) . 5:30ish?

Would anyone care to meet at Corduroy after work this evening (that is if anyone other than I is at work today) for a happy hour.  Yesterday was the 1st anniversery of DR.com and a Corduroy happy hour gathering was the first time that Don went public with its existence.  It only seems fitting to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak.  Is anyone else game?  Lent officially ends today.

I'll be there, and it looks like beerman will be able to make it, too. See you tonight! To rocks and to all of you out there in dr.com world!!

Anyway, I am going to be Lickety-Splitting today...What to have???

Angst, because the splurge sinfully pleasurable pork belly is not splurge a lickety-split item, forcing the splurge diner to consider the question "to splurge splurge or not to splurge?"

move along citizen, nothing subliminal going on here

Here's a reminder about our 1st Anniversary Happy Hour at Circle Bistro this Friday. We'll start when the first person arrives, around 5:30 or so. I'll post another reminder the day of. No need to RSVP and spouses and SO are welcome. I look forward to seeing you there.

The bacon, egg and cheese salad plus either the braised pork shoulder sandwich or the Irish "BLT."

I went a bit lighter being that this is a nice spring day. I had the littleneck clams and salad du jour, which was a nice salad topped with a pan sauteed softshell crab. How can you beat that lunch for $14?!

Don't know if it's a happy hour as such, but Jaleo is close by and they make a decent (not good) caipirinha when not slammed.

In addition to the places Chris already mentioned, if people are just looking for a place to drink and don't care about food options (and why should we since dinner is already set), there's always Daily Grill (yuppies & tourists staying at the hotel) at the Bethesda Metro Center, Union Jack's (large pub-type place) on St. Elmo's Ave which is just a block away from L'Academie, Willie Reed's (sports bar) on Norfolk Ave, or Rock Bottom Brewery.

A little further away are Divino Lounge on Wisconsin Avenue, Old Homestead's bar in the Chevy Chase Bank building or Tommy Joe's - all of which are about a block away from the Metro Center but in the opposite direction of L'Academie. Jaleo might be a bit further than some people may want to walk.

any suggestions? been to and liked thai restaurant above eggspectations. did not like my last meal at mandalay. not a fan of jackies for the most part.

anyone have any ideas?

There's a new place called Taste of Jerusalem about which I posted a few days ago. It just soft opened and is ramping up its preparations; needs work but I think it may have some potential. Stop by and give them some tips. Across from the new fire station.

Then there are always the old reliables, the Half Moon BBQ and Quarry House, for down and dirty burgers and such.

Now if Michael would ever get the new Ray's open............

So what are YOU doing Monday night?

Come see Rich Weiss (and potentially myself) and MelGold at Evening Star Cafe! Yes, it's another Wild Grape shindig--with food to boot!

Wild Grape South African Wine Dinner

Evening Star Cafe

Monday, April 24th

7:15 PM

$85 per person (inclusive!)

Welcome Richard Weiss of the Wild Grape!! The Wild Grape is an importer of small production wines from South Africa to select American markets such as Washington, DC. The company focuses on "boutique" wines showing particular quality and style. Although “boutique” is often associated with higher price tag wines, the wineries of South Africa demand very little for their offering. Richard Weiss will prove that this evening’s wines are world-class models rivaling those of established, reputable wineries worldwide. He will be pouring the crème de la Cape!

MENU

Vischysoisse with Parsley Froth

2005 Louisvale Unwooded Chardonnay (Western Cape)

Seared Scallops

Farmer Greens, Fennel and Artichoke, and Lavender Vinaigrette

2005 Monterosso de Franchi Old Bush Vine Chenin Blanc

Pan-Roasted Muscovy Duck Breast

Savory Sour Cherry Bread Pudding, Minted Duck Jus and Micro Salad

2003 Avondale “Amira” Syrah (Coastal Region)

2003 Hartenberg “Ecurie” Cab, Shiraz, Pinotage, Merlot Blend (Stellenbosch)

Caraway and Herb-Crusted Lamb Round

Red Onion, Parsley & Black Pepper Crème

2003 Le Riche Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot Blend (Stellenbosch)

2001 Vergenoegd Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Stellenbosch)

Raisin Tart with Port & Muscat Drizzle

2005 Vriesenhof Melelo Muscat d’Alexandrie, Tinta Touriga (Stellenbosch)

To reserve space, please call Planet Wine at 703 549 3444.

If I don't fall asleep at my desk, I believe that Mrs JPW and I (and yes, Peanut too) will try to make a brief appearance this evening.

Pssst. Everybody. You must try this wine. It's one of my favorites among all the labels that Jake and Rich bring in.

2005 Louisvale Unwooded Chardonnay (Western Cape)

If I don't fall asleep at my desk, I believe that Mrs JPW and I (and yes, Peanut too) will try to make a brief appearance this evening.

Pssst. Everybody. You must try this wine. It's one of my favorites among all the labels that Jake and Rich bring in.

I think I've had that at Notti Bianche. It is, indeed, tasty.