On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Even without launching it in Ireland, they had a problem on their hands...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060421/od_nm/benjerrys_dc

I'm not quite sure why they couldn't have just called the flavor 'Half & Half', which would be the non-offensive equivalent... although I'm sure they assumed Americans wouldn't have the faintest clue what they meant. They could've just called the thing 'Chocolate Stout', for that matter, and it would've more accurately reflected the flavour's contents.

On a pedantic note, a half & half and a black & tan aren't quite the same drink: the latter is made with Bass (British, hence B&T), the former with Harp (Irish).

Having been stuck at work until 2:15 in the morning, I didn't get free B&J's of any stripe. Oh, well.

I'm not quite sure why they couldn't have just called the flavor 'Half & Half', which would be the non-offensive equivalent... although I'm sure they assumed Americans wouldn't have the faintest clue what they meant. They could've just called the thing 'Chocolate Stout', for that matter, and it would've more accurately reflected the flavour's contents.

On a pedantic note, a half & half and a black & tan aren't quite the same drink: the latter is made with Bass (British, hence B&T), the former with Harp (Irish).

Having been stuck at work until 2:15 in the morning, I didn't get free B&J's of any stripe. Oh, well.

BTW- the controversy regarding the B&J flavor educated me on the origin of the Black & Tan. I had NO idea that it was offensive. So I imagine their American branding people didn't know either. In fact a google search of "black & tan" only brings up references to beers, beer recipes and a hound rescue organization. I stopped flipping pages after 7...

My last trip to your fair city was cut short before I could whim.  That will be corrected next Thursday.  Join me at Corduroy?

Afteer this week I need a night out NOW! But I guess I can wait until next THrusday.

Afteer this week I need a night out NOW! But I guess I can wait until next THrusday.

It's been that kind of week here too. Could NOW mean Legacy (Last Friday) HH at Notti Bianche? CresentFresh posted a similar question in the NB thread:
If I'm calendrically inclined this evening, I believe tomorrow is the last Friday of the month.  Anything to report from the bar at Notti Bianche?

Softball season starts tonight so no HH for me, but on Sunday from 4-6p Zaytina is doing a free Greek wine tasting.  Cross posted with more info here.

Anyone interested?

If work permits I may see you there. After we can come back for lamb shank, eggplant and raki.

Softball season starts tonight so no HH for me, but on Sunday from 4-6p Zaytina is doing a free Greek wine tasting.  Cross posted with more info here.

Anyone interested?

I had almost forgotten about that, but it looks good.

I'll have to get back to you on possible attendance.

Well, folks, given the limited legacy libations response in this thread today, I am bailing, but i'm sure i'll be seeing your wonderful faces soon. heck, maybe i'll see you somewhere tonight!
OH! Burned. :)

ETA: .........that said I don't think I'm going anymore, either. Nyquil and early bed for me. :angry:

Edited by shogun

So.... is Legacy Libations happening at NB tonight?  Or have we emptied the well?

so for the very late posting about this - it has really been one of those days.

we are set for a dr happy hour, featuring wines by the glass for $5, and selected legacy bourbons.

don't know who will be making it out but, i hope to see some of you at notti tonight.

Don Rockwell would be proud of us. We did the New Hampshire Avenue whim tonight. First up was Firefly for the bargain oysters ($8.50 vs. the usual $14.50!). I got the truffled fries ($5.50 vs. the usual $9, IIRC). I had a nice glass of bourbon on the rocks for $5 and Craig had a glass of some sort of wine. Not seeing anyone we knew, we grabbed the comfy chairs in the larger bar area. There are two sets of these and they are REALLY comfy. So civilized. The chipotle sauce with the oysters has become so tame--too many people from Omaha and Minnesota eating there?--and I forgot to stash a bottle of Tabasco sauce in my purse.

We walked there from Adams Morgan, BTW. Next, we set out further down the street to Notti Bianche and passed right by Circle Bistro. We found Waitman, Mrs. B and their daughter there (lucky us!), who stopped by on their way to enjoy some culture at the KenCen. Didn't see any other Rockwellians that I recognized. I had a very lovely glass of Prosecco for a measly $5. Craig had a glass of some sort of wine, also for $5. I was contemplating getting a half order of some pasta, but knew that I really had to try the salad at Circle Bistro. So, we walked back up NH Ave to CB.

CB had another Prosecco listed on their bar menu, but they were out. Which made Craig wonder how they could be out of something at 7:30 on a Friday. If it was Monday, that would be understandable. Poor planning?

I finally got the warm mushroom salad with the poached egg I had heard so much about. Yes, it was good, but also too salty and the bacon was cooked past "crunchy" to just plain HARD. Craig got the duck confit which gave us the opportunity to compare and contrast with the duck confit we had on Sunday at Cafe Atlantico. Circle Bistro's version is a thigh which comes with a bed of Kohlrabi/Carrot Slaw, which was very nice. Cafe Atlantico presents a leg and thigh, but no veggies. Both very good, but I call it a draw.

If you are keeping track, at this point I had had some fries and a salad (plus one of Craig's oysters). So, I ordered the mussels. I have to say that these were the biggest and freshest mussels I have had anywhere. Unfortunately, the sauce was underseasoned. I like garlic and wine with my mussels and neither was in evidence. The portion was large, however, and Craig ate quite a few of them, eventhough he claims not to care much for mussels.

I wasn't up to walking all the way home, which is all uphill anyway. We waited at the bus stop at Washington Circle for way too long, however, and decided to walk to Farragut Square. The 42 showed up not long after that and we were home by 10:30, sated and relatively sober.

And, we were home in time to see the last two innings of game where the NATS won! How good is that?

Not when I'm drinking, I don't!!

Were you drinking heavily when you selected that shirt last night?

That was quite an ensemble. Perhaps the "SF" stands for shirt freakout. The Dude would have been proud.

Stalking the finest chefs in the city,

Al

PS-- the crawfish bisque at Palena has WAY too much turmeric in it.

Ironically, I'll be in Florida on Thursday. :)

Now that is funny. Hopefully I'll get to see a bunch of you at Corduory tomorrow. I'll be hightailing it over there after my meeting ends (scheduled for 5 which probably means 5:30). I will be in dire need of food, drink, and friendly company.

For those who missed Chris'/Happyguy's list  o' concoctions in celebration of the holiday...

De La Dino indeed - my grandmothers are weeping.

I take no responsibility for Chris's language abilities or lack thereof. I make enough mistakes on my own!!! On the menu its called a DinoRita in any case.

I'm going to the DC Film Society's Trailer Night tonight (Tuesday) at 7p at the Landmark on E St., so thinking about whimming in the vicinity beforehand.

I think we're leaning towards the pre-Theater menu at Les Halles (steak frites and an appetizer for $17.89!) beforehand - anyone want to join, or have a better idea?

I think porcupine and I are going to hit Restaurant Eve's Lickety-Split Lunch, probably around 1:15-1:30PM today.  Would anyone be interested in meeting us there?

You might see me there today.

I'm going to the DC Film Society's Trailer Night tonight (Tuesday) at 7p at the Landmark on E St., so thinking about whimming in the vicinity beforehand.

I think we're leaning towards the pre-Theater menu at Les Halles (steak frites and an appetizer for $17.89!) beforehand - anyone want to join, or have a better idea?

Les Halles at 5:30 it is. Hope to see some of you there.

Les Halles at 5:30 it is. Hope to see some of you there.

I'm going to a recital at the Kennedy Center tonight, or I would join you. :) Right now I am hoping that traffic cooperates enough for me to have a glass of wine and a snack at Notte Bianchi before my show tonight.