Urbana, P Street in West Dupont Circle - Chef Ethan McKee; Pizzaiolo Anthony Pilla Has Departed

Since it's based on their Hotel Palomar model in SF (which houses the pretty damn upscale Fifth Floor), it might have a pricier restaurant than their other properties. Considering the location, I guess "Urbana" sounded better than "The Basement".

Also stay tuned for Urbana, a Mediterranean restaurant that's going in where the old Gabriel used to be next to the Starbuck's at 21st and P streets NW. The company has not yet hired a celebrity chef but is on the lookout.

In a dramtic change of culinary focus, perhaps using techiniques developed from spending too much time with fellow Iron Chef Mario Batali, the new celebrity chef will be: Masaharu Morimoto :P

Gee, I didn't know Gabriel was gone. When I had my uneven dinner at 21P the other night, the Gabriel sign was still there (I think). Urbana is among the awfullest ideas for a restaurant name since...oh, I don't know...BeDuCi? 2941?

How the heck are they going to add more than 30 rooms and 4,000 square feet of meeting space to that building? Add a couple of storeys? That would probably put it over the height limit. Build out into the street? There's probably some pesky rule against that too.

How the heck are they going to add more than 30 rooms and 4,000 square feet of meeting space to that building? Add a couple of storeys? That would probably put it over the height limit. Build out into the street? There's probably some pesky rule against that too.

There's a pretty big alley out in back.

I should know: I've thrown up there.

I'm JUST KIDDING!

I stopped in at the recently opened Urbana, located in the Palomar Hotel, the new Kimpton property at 2121 P ST, just off Dupont Circle.

While I had other dinner plans and did not stay to supp, I thought a brief note to describe the place and put it on people's radar would be helpful.

The place is sleekly modern but in a comfortable way. The bar was hopping and several diners were in the dining room. They did a really nice job with the place. The wine list will delight the wine geek with offerings from unusual locales such as Corsica.

The menu looks good I plan to return soon to give it a try. I can't remember a thing that was on it except for the pork chop. I do recall that things seemed mainly European in origin. I sampled the figs stuffed with Gorgonzola and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. A very tasty appetizer.

The chef is Richie Brandenburg who hails from Nora, Le Bernardin in NY and 5th Floor in SF.

I also gleaned that Kimpton has bought not only the Holiday Inn on King Street in Old Town (to be renamed "Monaco"), but also the Morrison House on St. Asaph. So, look for some more Kimpton restaurants coming t the Old Town area in the not too distant future.

I stopped in at the recently opened Urbana, located in the Palomar Hotel, the new Kimpton property at 2121 P ST, just off Dupont Circle.

While I had other dinner plans and did not stay to supp, I thought a brief note to describe the place and put it on people's radar would be helpful.

The place is sleekly modern but in a comfortable way. The bar was hopping and several diners were in the dining room. They did a really nice job with the place. The wine list will delight the wine geek with offerings from unusual locales such as Corsica.

The menu looks good I plan to return soon to give it a try. I can't remember a thing that was on it except for the pork chop. I do recall that things seemed mainly European in origin. I sampled the figs stuffed with Gorgonzola and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. A very tasty appetizer.

The chef is Richie Brandenburg who hails from Nora, Le Bernardin in NY and 5th Floor in SF.

I also gleaned that Kimpton has bought not only the Holiday Inn on King Street in Old Town (to be renamed "Monaco"), but also the Morrison House on St. Asaph. So, look for some more Kimpton restaurants coming t the Old Town area in the not too distant future.

I hope they don't change the Doggy Happy Hour! :)

The Morrison House needs a shot in the arm too. Well, the restaurant does, for sure.

I stopped in last night for drinks (after a great meal at the underappreciated Dupont Grille), and the description at the top of the thread is right on. It's a modern, sleek space with a classy wine bar area, spacious dining area, and a bar overlooking the kitchen that I have to try out. There's also a cool little enclosed private dining area for groups.

The menu was interesting, though, like Jacques, most of the items (except the crostini and pizzas) escape me. Also, despite eating out frequently and trying to familiarize myself with obscure ingredients, I might need a food dictionary to puzzle through parts of the menu. It would be easier to research if the menu was on Urbana's web site.

I had dinner in this space back when it was Gabriel something like five years ago. If you were ever at Gabriel, the difference is night and day, and I mean that near-literally, as Gabriel had some sort of sun-like logo and a bright reddish-orange interior, whereas Urbana, with its dim lights, dark wood, and grayish interior is clearly devoted to those who appreciate subdued lighting and late evenings.

Decided to try out Urbana last Friday night and the bar area was packed. We did not have a reservation but were able to get a 2 top after a less than 10 minute wait. As mentioned the place is attractive as were some of the menu items.

We started with 2 apps and a 1/2 order of one of the pastas to split between us.

The Corn Battered Figs were not greasy and just OK. The balsamic glaze brought some life to the dish, but there was not much flavor to the figs and just a hint of the gorgonzola cheese stuffing.

The Crispy Sardines is a dish of 2 sautéed sardine filets atop slices of caramelized cantaloupe and a light sauce that I don't remember. I enjoyed the interesting mix of flavors, but I am not sure I would order it again. I also recommend eating a bit of the sardine with the melon because eating the melon alone covered in the fishy sauce is just not appetizing.

The Pea Agnolotti with Chorizo and Lobster was served on a long thin rectangular plate (they have some pretty neat plates) was the highlight of the three starters. The dish was full of sweet tender lobster and bits of sausage that went well with the peas. I think of agnolotti a half moon shaped ravioli, but these were twisted in the middle. This made for a bit of undercooked pasta, but there are not many on the plate.

For dinner we ordered the Olive Oil Poached Halibut and Roasted Berkshire Pork Chop. Both dishes were under seasoned and luckily S&P shakers were on the table. The halibut was served atop some large white beans and the dish was topped with some shaved (braised?) celery. The pork chop was served with white polenta (grits?) and a date sauce that went well with the pork.

For dessert we ordered the Profiteroles and Peach Clafouti. The profiteroles come with one scoop each of vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon ice cream (contrary to the description on the menu of just vanilla so be warned if not a fan of the other flavors) and are served with chocolate sauce. The clafouti is served with lemon curd and whipped cream. The menu may say lemon curd but it is really a sauce with intense lemon flavor, not that I am complaining as it was very good.

The service throughout the meal was excellent and our server was clearly happy to be working. They have several wines by the glass and our server let us know that we could try any of them before ordering if we desired. Overall the dinner was about what I would expect for a busy restaurant in their first week of regular business. Total bill for the above, a quartino of wine, and two coffees was $118 before tip.

One negative is that the smokers congregate outside the entrace bottom of the stairs. Not the most pleasant smell to begin and end your meal with if you ask me. I wonder if the restaurant can do anything about it. I will have to remember to enter/exit from the hotel lobby in the future.

Had dinner here on Saturday as one of a party of four. I don't usually like trying places this new, but the birthday girl we were celebrating with chose Urbana specifically.

The space is indeed modern and sleek. All of the wood makes it a tad bit loud as times, though. The crowd was suprisingly on the young/hip side, given the price points on the menu. By the time we left at 11:00, the music in the bar was quite loud and the atmosphere was very lively. No doubt that the bar scene is due to its association with the hotel and promimity to Dupont Circle.

I really enjoyed the food. I started with the watermelon/fava bean salad, which came with nice peppery greens and ricotta salata. Both nice counterpoints to the sweet watermelon. A nice combination of flavors. Other starters at the table: brandade beignets (this upscale fish sticks), heirloom tomato salad and the sardines. Everyone seemed to like their dishes.

You can order crostini here by the piece, so I opted to try the wild mushroom one. It was a bit bland, but someone else at the table had the bean puree crostini, which I liked much better.

Next up for me was the pea agnolotti with lobster. A nice strong pea flavor, with tender-crisp fresh peas and generous chunks of lobster. Other mains included the gazpacho with tuna tartare (very refreshing, and meaty at the same time), atlantic salmon, and chicken saltimbocca. Everything I tasted was lovely.

We all ordered dessert -- I had the strawberry semolina cake, which was the worst of the lot. Think strawberry shortcake with a dense, dry slab of poundcake. Hubby had the chocolate hazelnut torte with banana cream (yum!) and others had the clafouti and a dessert special, whick was a peach bombe -- peach mousse with mascerated peaches, presented with a little pitcher of chocolate sauce. I felt the chocolate overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the peaches, but it was still tasty. The other dessert choices were unremarkable (creme brulee, tiramisu, etc.).

Service was not quite impeccable, but definitely buttoned up. This place is promising -- I would return, but not a quickly as I would return to Eve or Palena or a few other favorites.

As noted in a prior post, I was in Urbana for drinks a few weeks ago. I ended up having to make a last-minute choice for dinner for a group of six on Saturday night (8/12), so I called Urbana around 7:15 p.m., and the hostess told me that she could seat my party at 9 p.m.

We showed up around 8:45 p.m., and the hostess seated us immediately. She informed us that we were being placed in the private dining room, an enclosed rectangular room in the rear of the dining floor, close to the lounge area. I did not ask, but I would guess that the long table seats about a dozen people. Our waiter informed us that we were only the second or third party to sit in the room since Urbana opened. He was apologetic, saying that the restaurant was still calibrating the lighting and sound system in the private dining room (though we noticed no problems with either).

I've already posted about Urbana's atmosphere and crowd so I will focus on the food and service.

The menu is fairly long (though still, unfortunately, unavailable on the restaurant's web site). The different menu headings include appetizers, salads, crostini, pastas, pizzas, and entrees.

We ordered the following:

Corn battered figs with Gorgonzola cheese: I did not eat any of these, as I generally do not eat cheese. No one was impressed with this appetizer, though no one actively disliked it either; everyone seemed to feel that it was an interesting concept, but the actual execution was not something anyone deemed worthy of ordering again.

Brandade beignets: Six fried, battered balls of pureed potato and cod served on a thin, white, rectangular plate, the beignets were universally lauded by the four of us (including myself) who tried them. Admittedly, it is difficult to mess up anything that involves battering and frying, but the beignets' filling had a soft texture, savory flavor, and enough fishiness so as not to betray the taste buds of fish fans, but not so much fish flavor that hesitant fish eaters will reject them. The garlic aioli accompanying the beignets was a good rendition of a now-ubiquitous condiment.

Crostini: The crostini plate is a simple piece of well-toasted bread that, though I may be wrong, seemed to be French bread, based on its flavor and thickness. Diners have a choice of three spreads. One involves heirloom tomatoes, though I do not remember in what form, another mushrooms, and the last one, which we ordered, was a white bean-garlic spread. The white bean-garlic spread was slightly cold and had a texture slightly thicker than I expected. It did not have a strong flavor, though the garlic was not completely mute. I did not mind the crostini, but, in light of a bread basket with both better bread and a better spread, I would not order it again.

Chilled Gazpacho with tuna tartare: I infrequently order gazpacho, so I am not going to compare Urbana's gazpacho to any other restaurant's. Our server, in answer to my pre-order inquiry, told me that Urbana's chef's version does not have any chunks of vegetables in it. The gazpacho came in a very shallow bowl and was thin, sweet, and well-served by my addition of ground pepper. I was ambivalent about the gazpacho, but recognized that it largely served to prettify the small mound of tuna tartare in the center of the bowl. The tuna tartare tasted exactly as it should, though it does not differ in any noticeable way from any other restaurant's version. Please note that this dish normally comes with black olives as a garnish, which I asked the kitchen to hold.

Heirloom tomato salad: This was one of the most attractive dishes in terms of presentation. It is served on a very long, white rectangular plate and features sliced heirloom tomatoes (green and red, from what I observed), mozzarella cheese, and a caramelized onion vinaigrette. I did not try this salad, but the diner who ordered it liked it enough to clean her plate (though we had to ask the waiter to clarify that the menu referred to a vinaigrette, not actual caramelized onions on the plate).

Bread Salad Nicoise: Crouton salad with lemon vinaigrette and minimal mixed vegetables, including cherry tomatoes. Really. If that sounds good to you, super, order it and you'll love it. If it sounds like a questionable use of nine dollars, order the crostini, break it up, and order a side of dressing.

Watermelon and fava beans: This is a relatively small, simple salad. Two large squares of seedless, sweet watermelon serve as the foundation for bitter greens and a white, sheet-like cheese. Fava beans ring the plate, tracking a thin ring of olive oil. I tried this salad (avoiding the cheese) and found the sweet/bitter contrast really appealing. I did not, however, see how the fava beans fit into the picture, though I enjoyed them separately.

Entrecote of beef: I did not try this entree, but the diner who ordered it said it was outstanding, appropriately tender, juicy, and flavorful. It came with an interesting potato side shaped to look like a cross-section of bone.

Quattro Fromaggi and Heirloom Tomato pizza: This is not a personal pizza. Served on a long, rectangular wooden board, this was a sizable pizza appropriate for two, or for splitting as an appetizer. It smelled great (and this coming from someone who does not eat cheese), and the person who ordered it and another diner said that the pizza was firing on all cylinders.

Pea Agnolotti Chorizo and Lobster: Urbana has four types of pasta available in half or full orders. Two diners ordered the agnolotti half-orders, and both enjoyed it. One, in fact, loved it so much that she was still talking about how good it was an hour or two later. The pasta actually plays a very small role in the dish. Served on a medium-length rectangular plate, the pasta pieces make intermittent appearances throughout small-to-medium sized chunks of lobster and thin discs of chorizo. The peas' green is a nice contrast to the reddish-orange sauce running the length of the plate. I had one bite of lobster, and it was delicious, not too chewy, and well-complemented by its sauce. I rarely eat pasta, but I would happily order this dish in the future (sans sausage).

Summer vegetable aronchini: My girlfriend and I ordered this vegetarian entree with zero idea what to expect. The menu description is brief, indicating that the dish involves carrots, peas, and asparagus. What we got was similar to risotto croquettes: creamy rice mixed with chunks of fresh vegetables and fried into brown cylinders, then halved. The kitchen was nice enough to split the entree into two (again, rectangular) plates for us, completely unprompted. The dabs of sweet tomato sauce on the plate are nice, but the aronchini was better paired with the aioli left over from the beignets. This entree was good, but unabashedly deep fried, to the point that the frying bordered on overwhelming the food. It also could have benefited from more veggies and less risotto.

Mushroom risotto: This dish made an unexpected appearance on our table (more on this later), but I can guarantee that the next time I eat at Urbana, it will be at our request. This risotto was of a different kind than the fairly standard risotto in the aronchini. Far creamier and more enjoyable, the risotto was grayish in color and packed with similarly-colored mushrooms. A few steamed chunks of carrots (and less colorful leeks) added a balanced solidity to the otherwise creamy dish. Thin sheets of fried zucchini rind gave the dish flair, and tasted very much like Rasika's famous fried spinach palak chaat. My girlfriend and I were already full when this dish showed up, but did not hesitate in putting a significant dent in it as soon as we had our first taste.

The six-dollar duck fat fries came highly recommended by our server, and were good, though maybe not worth their price, in light of the smallish serving in a shallow round dish. One diner mentioned that the duck fat fries reminded her of her father's home-cut fries: medium-thick, soft, with not much difference in texture between the interior and exterior, and colored a deep, dark brown. They were minimally salted and served without a condiment. Unlike Nage's truffle fries, Urbana's duck fat fries are actually good enough to be served unaccompanied.

The service last night is deserving of special note. The hostess who answered the phone was pleasant and accommodating, even though I was forced to call during what was, presumably, the busiest part of Saturday-night dinner (and this after reading Nadya's specific advice not to do so!). The hostess who greeted us (possibly the same person) was appropriately welcoming and made us feel special by notifying us that she had placed us in the private dining room. Our waiter, Joseph, was absolutely the most enjoyable waiter or waitress I have dealt with in memory. He was enthusiastic about the menu, knowledgeable about every dish we inquired about, gave us his advice about the highlights of each section of the menu (and noted the few dishes he felt were sub-par), and encouraged us to let him know our thoughts on everything we ordered, as the menu is still evolving, and he likes giving the kitchen feedback. He kept my coffee cup filled (and ended up not charging us for the coffee), sounded genuinely interested in how the dishes were received, and generally made us feel like he was dedicated solely to our table.

As I noted above, we did not order the mushroom risotto. The kitchen, as I mentioned, was nice enough to split the aronchini into two plates for my girlfriend and me. When the runner brought the plates out, he dropped one of the croquette halves (each plate originally had one croquette angularly sliced in half) on the floor, so that my plate ended up with only a half-croquette. That was absolutely fine with me, as I was near-full at that point, and I told the runner, who was apologetic, that it was nothing to worry about. Joseph noted what had happened and told us that the chef wanted to make it up to us by sending out an order of the mushroom risotto. We politely declined, not feeling any sense of entitlement over such a small error, but the chef ended up sending the risotto out anyway, and, as I said, the risotto very much ended the meal on a high note.

My brother and I split the check, and we had no reservations about tipping Joseph slightly more than 25% (after tax) on a $235.40 check (which included about $50 in cocktails and wine). He earned every cent and, though some dishes were better than others, Urbana's food and service combined to make this one of my better dining experiences of the year.

Went to Urbana for the first time for Restaurant Week with 2 friends Tuesday night. Got one of 2 available seats at the bar at 7:25pm and enjoyed a vodka (Grey Goose) tonic. Hostess's reception was nothing to write home about, but all in all, passable front service.

Only 1 of the 3 of us got RW special. I like it when the places offer their whole menu (with applicable up-charges noted) during Restaurant Week, but Urbana only had 2 apps, 2 entrees, and one dessert offered. I took a pass, but my companion had the duck meatballs on spaghetti. The meatballs were a bit dry, but large and filling (3 on a small bowl of pasta with a bit of sauce).

My swirled squash soup was artistically presented. $7, very reasonable price. Salt & pepper grinder on the table... nice touch.

For entree, I had the gorgonzola pizza with greens on top. Pizzas are large enough to split 2-3 ways for normal appetite. Big blue cheese fan, and the pizza was quite good, if difficult to keep on the rectangular wood board when cutting (with large steak knife).

For dessert we shared the creme brule (RW dessert) plus the profiteroles (vanilla, choc, & black cherry iced cream inside). The profiteroles had chocolate sauce under them, but we collectively agreed it tasted a bit like Hersheys.

Jekel Cab '04 was excellent! Really made the meal. The waitress suggested it to accompany my gorgonzola pizza, and she was right on! I'm now on the hunt for this wine. Glass was $8.

Bottom line: Will definately go back again. Food was well priced, bar was easy to get a seat, despite RW & time of my arrival, service was smooth. For the price in the Dupont area, meals were quite good.

Rating: 2 stars of 5...

Jekel Cab '04 was excellent! Really made the meal. The waitress suggested it to accompany my gorgonzola pizza, and she was right on! I'm now on the hunt for this wine. Glass was $8.
PM or call Joe Riley at Ace Beverages. He seems to know how to find ANYTHING. :lol:

www.wineaccess.com shows that it is priced around $10/btl, but does not show any local availability.

I've not been into Schneiders on Cap Hill since my Urbana visit, but will check there soon. My brief online search showed it for $10-14 per bottle for the '04, with the 2003 slightly cheaper than the '04s.

By the way, Urbana is apparently running the Restaurant Week special thru the end of March. That's some "week"!

Had a manhattan (bourbon, no rye here) and the Charcuterie pizza in the bar area last night, which was quite busy. Had to stake out a table in the bar area for about 20 minutes before one opened up. The pizza crust was ok, but I think Stachowski's charcuterie has spoiled me: the smattering of sausage and ham-cubes (there were a few other kinds i don't remember) didn't really do it for me. Still, not a bad place for a cocktail, but nothing else on the bar menu grabbed me. And the beer list was terrible.

Finally tried Urbana last Saturday night, and I was pleased overall (though there are definitely some spots that can be improved).

We needed a reservation for 4 at the VERY last minute, and the staff was incredibly accomodating and courteous. The hostess was the friendliest I've encountered in all of DC. Our server was wonderful--attentive and knowledgeable without hovering or being pretentious.

For appetizers, my sister and I went for soup--I tried the minestrone, which was average. The roasted tomato soup, however, was lovely--great flavor and texture. My boyfriend got the mozzarella with polenta and arugula, which I thought was good but not great. My sister's boyfriend had the special grouper appetizer, and I sadly cannot remember how exactly it was prepared. It was cooked perfectly, though, and it was probably the first item to disappear from its plate!

For mains, my boyfriend went for the pizza charcuterie, and everyone seemed to enjoy it (not being a huge Italian meat fan, I decided not to try it). It was absolutely HUGE. Sis had the sweet pea agnolotti with lobster, which was probably my favorite dish of the evening--the peas were tender and flavorful, and the lobster (which was very plentiful) was buttery and delicious. I had the gnocchi with seared tuna, and I was very torn about it--on the one hand, the tuna was fabulously seasoned and seared, and it was a very sizeable portion. On the other hand, the dish was pretty much completely overwhelmed by garlic--and I LOVE garlic, so that's saying a lot. My sister's boyfriend had a fish dish that I again can't remember in detail--but, as with the grouper appetizer, it was cooked perfectly and seemed to be enjoyed by all.

We tried an order of duck fat fries, which were pretty darn good--but I couldn't decide if they were really any better (or different) than my current favorite fries, which come from Cafe St. Ex.

For dessert, we had tiramisu and a very decadent chocolate "bombe" of sorts. The tiramisu had exquisite texture, but the liquor flavor was VERY overwhelming. My favorite part about the chocolate dish was the banana sauce that accompanied it.

We had a bottle of King Estate Pinot Gris (Oregon, 2005), which was refreshing and tasty and reasonably priced ($35). I also had a glass of Teruzzi e Puthod Vernaccia di San Gimignano (2004), which was not quite as dry as I would have liked but enjoyable at $10.

All in all, Urbana was a pleasant dining experience. With some more subtlety in the kitchen, it could end up being a favorite. Depending on what you order and how much you drink, you can definitely enjoy a reasonably-priced meal in a chic setting.

The lounge at Urbana was mobbed Friday evening with a (mercifully announced) party of fifty, but there was no problem walking right into the dining room and snaring a table. With the recent arrival of Alexander Bollinger, I had new hope for Urbana, and I was not disappointed with what I saw.

Braised Kale Stew ($8) is a coarse bowl of neutrophilic density, with four very strong chorizo meatballs hidden at the bottom. The first taste I had actually made me wonder if the meat was rancid, before quickly correcting myself and realizing that it was just potent chorizo. Given the rustic thickness of the soup, small bites of the meatballs work well - the challenge is to distribute the meatball-broth combo so that you finish both at the same time.

A small bowl of PEI Mussels ($9) comes with a choice of three sauces, and I wasn't about to pass up the applewood smoked bacon, fennel, and cream. The mussels were standard-issue farm-raised (uniform, meaty), but the creamy sauce here stole the show, especially when used as a fondue for the toasted bread, the diner making sure to swipe out as much bacon as possible on the way out of the dunk.

Crispy Pork Belly ($11) is a thick rectangle of you-know-what, with a pleasant sear on top, and a good fat-to-lean ratio, the lean portions best taken with a little cannelini bean paste for extra moisture. This was a decent, but not spectacular, little plate of pork belly.

A Salsiccia Pizza ($12) was the consensus least-favorite item on the table, although that really says more about the other four items than it does the pizza. The crust was above-average, although it lacked much of a char. The merguez sausage, roasted peppers, and aged gouda sounded intriguing on paper, but came off as a bit stolid in practice. I'd consider ordering it again, but there is tough competition on P Street with Pizzeria Paradiso and Alberto's lurking nearby, and no clear standout in the bunch.

That having been said, my favorite dish of the night was the Focaccetta ($9), which I believe is the same pizza dough, stretched into a smaller, thicker oval, which makes the dough come across as more yeasty and flavorful. Or maybe there was something else in it, I don't know. Regardless, the dough itself is simply baked in the oven, and when removed, topped with little blots of buffalo mozzarella and a generous portion of prosciutto. That's it, that's the dish. Simple, inexpensive, and tasty. There's your bar snack; good luck getting a seat.

Cheers,

Rocks.

A Salsiccia Pizza ($12) was the consensus least-favorite item on the table, although that really says more about the other four items than it does the pizza. The crust was above-average, although it lacked much of a char. The merguez sausage, roasted peppers, and aged gouda sounded intriguing on paper, but came off as a bit stolid in practice. I'd consider ordering it again, but there is tough competition on P Street with Pizzeria Paradiso and Alberto's lurking nearby, and no clear standout in the bunch.

Not to mention Sette right up the street, which I think is clearly the best of the Dupont Circle bunch when it comes to pizza.

We had a great meal here today -- in particular, two stars were the pork belly (crispy, fatty but not gelatinous) and the lamb with a rich and fabulous fava bean purée. Outstanding. Already looking forward to our next visit!

Had a wonderful brunch at Urbana today. The mushroom omelette was delicate, varied, and inventive. My poached egg veggie nest featured julienned asparagus, mesclun, and red peppers. We had not been here before. Service was very professional and unobtrusive, and we loved the sleek decor. While most of the other brunchers were downing copious amount of champagne, we confined ourselves to two pots of Earl Grey tea.

Has anyone stayed at the Palomar next door?

Had a wonderful brunch at Urbana today. The mushroom omelette was delicate, varied, and inventive. My poached egg veggie nest featured julienned asparagus, mesclun, and red peppers. We had not been here before. Service was very professional and unobtrusive, and we loved the sleek decor. While most of the other brunchers were downing copious amount of champagne, we confined ourselves to two pots of Earl Grey tea.

Has anyone stayed at the Palomar next door?

I have. Sometimes we feel like having a mini "staycation", so we book a dinner reservation in DC and a room at the Palomar. Kimpton hotels are great. The happy hour at Urbana is fun too.

A dollar an oyster during happy hour? Um, yes please!

Rotating selection and quite good -- this deal might be unbeatable (and even not at happy hour, it's only $16/dozen). Tonight they had lovely, briny malpeques from PEI, something ginormous and flavorful from Long Island, and vaguely tasteless mid-size bivalves from Virginia. Still, this is kind of a killer deal, particularly given its proximity to my office.

The lamb meatballs over polenta were tasty, with a shard of parmigiano each and served over a good deal of nice grits (labeled polenta but with more bite and texture). The brandade-stuffed piquillos leaned on the potato but still had some good flavor. Both of the above would probably read as undersalted to most palates; I'm rather salt sensitive and have had more than my fair share in the past two days, so I appreciated a slight undersalination to allow me to taste the lamb flavor and the well-prepared peppers, although I can see that the brandade could play as primarily potato to some (I got some good cod flavor, but there was also a chunk of cod that hadn't made it through the puree filter, and that helped). The falafels were tiny but delicious, sweet and savory, over some tahini and with pickled onions to offset the creaminess -- I totally want these again. All the small plates are $5, and the portions are great for sharing or wolfing down with some similarly-priced happy hour drink specials.

The margherita pizza had some good chew to the crust, an even-handed application of cheese, and was to my eye downright large for $8 (a full dinner plate diameter). I honestly got out of there totally stuffed, with solicitous service and only a bit of techno in the background as the lights dimmed.

Props to The Doctor for the notification of the oyster deal, which will draw me back -- and would have done had the small plates not been even passable-to-good and instead totally sucked. I mean, come on, a buck an oyster? Months with 'r's be damned.

Here are pictures of the aforementioned $5 appetizers. From left to right: crab beignets with yellow corn, scallions, and remoulade; brandade stuffed piquillo peppers; falafel with pickled red onions and tahini; crispy seafood rolls with green curry aioli; and duck meatballs with anson mills polenta.

The selection of the $1 oysters seems to rotate daily. Those in the photo are Wellfleets from Massachusetts and Alpines from Prince Edward Island.

Discounted drinks are also available, including a rotating $5 choice from their selection of house cocktails normally priced at $12.

The hours of the special pricing seem to vary by menu item, but most of the stuff is available until 8 p.m. — a huge plus in my book.

You can find the menus here: http://www.urbanadc.com/menus/index.html

post-66-128033357566_thumb.jpg

post-66-128033358508_thumb.jpg

post-66-128033359435_thumb.jpg

post-66-12803336041_thumb.jpg

post-66-12803336145_thumb.jpg

post-66-128033362266_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had brunch here, or eaten here since the chef change in winter 2010? I made a Fathers' Day reservation (changed it from Firefly after realizing everything my husband and I would like at Firefly is only on the weekday lunch menu or dinner menu). The menu looks good, and restaurants in Kimptons I've been to have always have lovely food.

Has anyone had brunch here, or eaten here since the chef change in winter 2010? I made a Fathers' Day reservation (changed it from Firefly after realizing everything my husband and I would like at Firefly is only on the weekday lunch menu or dinner menu). The menu looks good, and restaurants in Kimptons I've been to have always have lovely food.

I recently had brunch at Urbana. Some qualifiers: 1) This was a group of 10 people (I tend to migrate to Urbana for large group brunches as they've always been accommodating of late guests/missing guests/additional guests/rowdy guests) and 2) We like to drink. The second point is important because details get a little fuzzy after a few too many of their bottomless bellinis, which happen to be pour-your-own so by the end I was drinking straight-up sparkling wine.

Ambiance: The restaurant is loud when it's full, which I'd imagine it will be on Father's Day. I remember having a hard time hearing what was being said directly across the table from me.

Service: We had a gracious server, and all the food was brought out correctly - no small feat with our group and the multiple rounds of ordering. They had some cards on the hostess stand advertising the fact that they have a new management team.

Food: Most of the food I tried was good, but not spectacular, and there were a few disappointments. I don't remember it being any better, or any worse, than when I've gone before. Here's the rundown:
Dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in jamon serrano - Delicious (although the blue cheese may have been a little too overpowering. I don't think I've ever had a bad variation of dates stuffed with cheese and wrapped in meat, though.
Beer nuts - These were probably my top dish of the meal. They were candied peanuts, that had the essence of sour cream and onion (but none of that powdery residue you get with sour cream and onion chips). The sweet/sour/salty/crunch combination was impossible to resist.
Pickled vegetables - Really disappointing. I think it was a mix of carrots, radishes, and cucumbers - but all I could really taste was the salt. It reminded me of when I quick pickled some radishes at home a couple of weeks ago and accidentally over-salted beyond belief (the only difference is I threw mine out).
Market Pizza - This was my entree, and I was really excited. It was advertised as seasonal ingredients from the Dupont Farmer's market, and I made the mistake of not asking what those ingredients were. The pizza came out with your standard cheese, pepperoni (or something similar) and some arugula. This was two weeks ago, and I saw some way more exciting ingredients at the farmer's market than arugula, so I'm not sure why they chose to highlight that.
Smoked salmon and bagel - This was ordered by my friend and I was able to try some of the salmon. It was good, nothing memorable, and the dish came in a DIY style (all the ingredients were separated). It also came with what appeared to be an entire block of cream cheese.
Eggs Benedict - This was also good, but nothing special. The eggs were cooked just right, the ham was good, and the English muffin held up. The salad on the side was good also, with fresh greens and not overly dressed.

We also received some profiteroles for dessert. They tasted a little stale, and the chocolate ice cream was pretty pedestrian, but it was free so no one was complaining.

One thing I did notice was inconsistency with their pricing. Why would refried beans with two eggs be $14, and a steak with two eggs and fries be $15? Or two eggs with potatoes and bacon for $15, when a 3 egg omelet with potatoes and a salad is $12?

I think Urbana is a solid choice for brunch under the new chef. Everyone at the table was really happy with the choice and I don't think there was one person that wouldn't go back. I just wish they had a few more "original" dishes like those beer nuts.

Days later, I am still fondly thinking of how great the special New Year's Eve tasting menu dinner at Urbana was. The only other time I've eaten here was last year for my birthday happy hour and everyone seemed pleased. The dinner New Year's Eve was spectacular though.

Not sure if any of these tasting menu items will be finding their way to regular lunch or dinner menus but just in case, here is what we had (I was part of a party of 9)

Amuse: raw tuna slices with radish, serrano chile, and smoked caviar.

Soup: Oyster stew with lemongrass, coconut milk, chile threads, kaffir lime leaf, kumquats and potato. Knocked my socks off - kinda like a tom ka soup with kumquats - it shouldn't work, but it totally did.

I nibbled on some housemade headcheese with frisee and runny poached egg and of course , how can you go wrong with that - it was tasty.

Third course: perfectly seared scallops, pickled onion, salsify, radish sprouts

Fourth course: olive oil poached venison tenderloin with kale and crosnes - the first time I've had crosnes and now I'm obsessed. They look like insect grubs but taste like a water chestnut. These were lightly pickled and tangy. Even then this wasn't the best dish of the choices offered. The beef short ribs melted in your mouth.

Finally dessert - I had the chocolate pudding that was delightful but the eucalyptus meringue it sat on was unpleasantly medicine-y tasting.

The boozey frozen strawberry cylinders were better.

Best of all was the Sauternes our server poured for us! He hustled his fanny off to get us bubbly and glasses for the midnight countdown. I can't wait to go back in the new year.

On a tip from someone I met while noshing at Hogo, I heard very good pizza 'made with passion' was recently experienced over at happy hour at Urbana.

I stopped by today at found pizzaiolo Anthony Pilla (formerly of Seventh Hill pizza) heading the gas-fired pizza area. Now it makes sense :) just doing a search & the Post noted this back in early Feb.

The pizza list has an interesting selection, including a Market version that's basically pizzaiolo's choice. And during happy hour pizzas are $8.

I tried tonight's Market pizza. Anthony described the pizza as 2-flour white wine-infused dough with a 72-hour raise, in-house tasso, cherry tomatoes, in-house made mozzarella, goat cheese, rapini and lemon juice drizzled on top for some brightness. Nice flavor to the dough and good chew. Nice amount of char on bottom as well.

You get a show with the 10 or so seats directly in front of the pizza oven while Anthony makes your pizza & chats you up. I might have to add this to HH rotation once in awhile.

camerazoom2013032116203.jpg

• Like 1

Does Urbana currently have a Chef de Cuisine? John Critchley went to BourbonSteak, and from what I can tell, Anthony Pilla is only making pizzas. (The evening I went for happy hour, the three pizzas tried just weren't up to Pilla's standards (I've had his work at Seventh Hill and was impressed), so I'm going to assume he was off that night.)

Sorry, I had additional details that I forgot too add.

Talking with Anthony that night, Pilla is only making pizza from what I understand (but he's making the in-house mozzarella & meats used like speck and tasso). Also, Urbana is trying to promote his pizza (e.g. making complementary flatbreads for hotel guests each day I believe, that's a nice touch). Didn't get to inquire about how they're handling the departure of Critchley.

He's off Monday & Tuesday, and does have 2 non-pizzaiolo staff helping out. Myself, I'm calling ahead if I want pizza there B)

Any conversation about the best pizza in DC has to include the work of Anthony Pilla at Seventh Hill near the top of the mix. I was a regular at Seventh Hill when he was their opening pizzaiolo, and caught up with him late this afternoon for the first time since his brief stint at H & Pizza. It appears that Urbana and the Kimpton chain have been good to him--not only does he have his own little fiefdom at the pizza bar there, but he is also now revamping the pizza programs throughout the entire Kimpton hotel chain. He's put on a (needed) bit of weight since his Seventh Hill days, and anyone who recalls with fondness his wiry frame executing balletic, whirlagig moves behind the counter may be a bit disappointed at first by his more relaxed approach here. But don't be fooled: Pilla has only upped his game since then. At his recommendation, I ordered the funghi pizza--wild mushrooms, fresh thyme, fontina, and truffle oil--a deceptively simple preparation that burst with flavor and fragrance. This isn't only because of good ingredients, but also because of the new crust he's developed featuring two flours and yeasts, and white wine in the mix. It's a crisper, more flavorful crust than the already stellar one he offered at Seventh Hill, that settles in to a satisfying chew as it cools. He gifted me with a sample of his creamy, amazingly fresh housemade mozzarella. This was an outstanding pizza, and priced at an insane $8 for their seven-day-a-week happy hour (Anthony is off on Sundays and Mondays now). This already great pizziaolo has only gotten better after a peripatetic couple of years; don't make any quick rushes to judgment over the newest faces until you've tried his work at its peak.

• Like 1

This already great pizziaolo has only gotten better after a peripatetic couple of years; don't make any quick rushes to judgment over the newest faces until you've tried his work at its peak.

I believe you, but Matt and I had two happy hour pizzas at the bar here last year (after Pilla arrived, but no guarantee he was even there), and they were not at all special. That said, he made pizza before my very eyes at 7th Hill that was very good, so he's already proven himself to me on an individual level.

Speaking of "best of the best," Enzo and Anastasia haven't been at Pupatella during any of my most recent three visits. While still excellent, the pizzas were not slam-dunk best-in-town. The foundation had to crack sooner or later after the expansion.

I'd say the Pizza Crown is up for grabs these days (bear in mind also that, while the crust at Pupatella is truly magnificent, the toppings have never been of superlative quality). I have a high tolerance for char, so my most recent pizza at Ghibellina is vying for a spot on the podium.

And I stand behind Edan Macquaid, in his absence, as best pizzaiolo ever to grace this city. He may not be the savviest businessman in the world, and based on some of the comments I've seen on another website, he certainly made some enemies, but he sure can make one hell of a pizza.

I believe you, but Matt and I had two happy hour pizzas at the bar here last year (after Pilla arrived, but no guarantee he was even there), and they were not at all special. That said, he made pizza before my very eyes at 7th Hill that was very good, so he's already proven himself to me on an individual level.

Time to try it again - the pizzas have steadily improved in his time there and have really hit their stride in the past couple months. I had one last week that was at least the equal of anything Anthony made at 7th Hill.

Time to try it again - the pizzas have steadily improved in his time there and have really hit their stride in the past couple months. I had one last week that was at least the equal of anything Anthony made at 7th Hill.

I'll second that.

I've been there three times now. The first two times I was a bit underwhelmed...both pizzas were heavily topped, don't remember the first one, but the second has taso, artichoke, sausage, olives, onion, and a few more ingredients. Too many things that to me didn't seem to play well together.

I decided to give it one more try today, and I'm glad I did. I went with a much simpler salcicca, with house made spicy sausage, and it was as good as anything I've had in town.

Don't know if Anthony was involved with any of them.

• Like 1

Called today to see if Anthony was working pizza today, and was told that he no longer works there :-(

According to his LinkedIn profile, he is now culinary director at Marra Forni, a company in Beltsville that sells wood-fired pizza ovens. It also indicates that he is still "executive pizzaiolo" for Kimpton Hotels (a job that he told me about when I saw him a few months back, where he works with other Kimpton restaurants to revamp their pizza menus. Disappointed he's gone, but he sort of hinted that he was moving in a different direction when we spoke.

Dinner here tonight was, well, strange. We weren't sure where to take a friend of Bob's for dinner who was staying at a nearby hotel, but opted for this on the basis of what seemed a reasonably priced and interesting menu. I had only been here for pizza when Anthony Pilla was manning the oven, so couldn't vouch for the rest of the menu. Truth be told, most of what we ate was reasonably good, but the kitchen seemed to be in a bit of disarray, and the restaurant itself is in bad need of a makeover. We were first seated in an awkwardly shaped booth near the hotel entry and wine buffet. This might have been fine, but the lighting was skewed so that one side of the booth was in the dark and the overhead light glared into the eyes of the person on the other side. We asked to be moved, and were seated at a table next to what appeared to be a fairly loud business gathering, which required that we strain to talk and listen to one another.

Once reseated, we ordered the full charcuterie plate ($19), and at least two of the items on it didn't match the menu, and it was missing the promised cornichons. When we pointed this out to the waiter, he went to check, and reported back that the kitchen had switched some items out (most notably a pork terrine) without informing the wait staff. They brought out another plate with the cornichons, extra flatbread, and some nicely spicy coppa. Quality was all pretty good, but it was annoying that it took so much effort to get what we ordered.

The menu of small plates is a bit confusing, but in general I would guess most people would be pleased with two or at most three items. We were all mostly pleased with what we ordered, but again, some kitchen screw-ups. Bob ordered the calamari and shrimp salad, and was instead brought the calamari appetizer. The waiter replaced it after a modest wait with the correct item, but again, annoying since the rest of his order was also delayed. My beet and carrot salad was devoid of any carrots, and the promised goat cheese was instead some sort of creamy dressing. It was like the kitchen ran out of items and just made it up on the spot--not a bad salad, but not what the menu specified, which could be a problem for someone with a food allergy. On the plus side, our respective entrees of monkfish, scallops, and agnoletti were all well prepared, and the side of Brussel sprouts was substantial.

The waiter tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but in the end the screw-ups were too much, and Bob left a discounted tip. Beyond all this, the main dining room feels rough around the edges--noisy, somewhat uncomfortable, and a few years past its prime. Ethan McKee may be a talented chef--some evidence of that showed on the plates--but this is a restaurant that desperately needs better management throughout and a diner-friendly update of the interior.

• Like 1

According to his LinkedIn profile, he is now culinary director at Marra Forni, a company in Beltsville that sells wood-fired pizza ovens. It also indicates that he is still "executive pizzaiolo" for Kimpton Hotels (a job that he told me about when I saw him a few months back, where he works with other Kimpton restaurants to revamp their pizza menus. Disappointed he's gone, but he sort of hinted that he was moving in a different direction when we spoke.

I heard from Anthony, and he is indeed culinary director for Marra Forni, but he also told me that he's now out of the restaurant game (and seems very happy about it).