Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

Dino has become the location of choice for two buddies and me to get together (they being denizens of Maryland who won't ride the Metro), and we had one of our drink-a-thons on Wednesday. Since one of my chums was batching it, he decided to order a meal. When we found out Dean was serving Bisteca Fiorintina had to have it. If this is available I strongly recommend it. It's a huge piece of ribeye (I'd say 28 ozs, at least) perfectly and authentically seasoned and charred on the grill. Every bite is a revelation. Probably good to order as a couple -- my friend left with enough for steak 'n' eggs and a steak sandwich for the next day, despite sharing with us.

Some very cool news from Dino about Wednesday nights to come. I'll be there 5/2 and probably before then as well. Bravo Dean - most places should follow your lead - all three of these promotions are fantastic by me!

Announcing WINE WEDNESDAY at Dino

Beginning Wednesday April 18, Dino is offering a special wine night every Wednesday. You can taste a flight of three specially selected wines and enjoy three appetizers designed by Chef Daniel to accompany the wines, all for $25 per person! We will start with three Valpolicellas on April 18. Thereafter, we will have a different wine theme each week. You can take a wine tour of Italy on Wednesdays at Dino. Here is the schedule:

April 18: Valpolicella, Veneto

April 25: Dolcetto, Barbera & Nebbiolo from Piemonte

May 2: Rosso di Montalcino, Toscana

May 9: Grecco, Falanghina & Fiano from Campania

May 16: Sicilian reds

May 23: Tocai & Ribolla from Friuli

Dean, Chris, Joe and Chef will be on hand to explain the food and wines.

In addition to the wine and appetizer flights, we will extend Wine Madness to Wednesday nights as well! You get 33% off Dino's already famous value prices for wines $50 and over. Lastly, if you are a wine collector, you can bring in wines from your cellar and Dino will wave the corkage fee!

The Wednesday night special sounds great. More of a reason to stop in.

On a different note, I was in Dino earlier in the week for their Passover feast which was superb. All of the food was great as usual. However I must say the standout of the meal was the gefilte fish. Generally I find the stuff absolutely disgusting and unbearable to eat, however my hats off to Dean and the chef for making such a nice flavored, not overly fishy version. If only the stuff you can buy in the store tasted like this, i'd consider eating it more regularly.

Dean - Hopefully your Passover feast was a success this year and you plan to offer it next. Great job!

The Wednesday night special sounds great. More of a reason to stop in.

On a different note, I was in Dino earlier in the week for their Passover feast which was superb. All of the food was great as usual. However I must say the standout of the meal was the gefilte fish. Generally I find the stuff absolutely disgusting and unbearable to eat, however my hats off to Dean and the chef for making such a nice flavored, not overly fishy version. If only the stuff you can buy in the store tasted like this, i'd consider eating it more regularly.

Dean - Hopefully your Passover feast was a success this year and you plan to offer it next. Great job!

Thanks! We will have the passover fest all 8 nights next year with an even more Sephardic/Italian approach. In addition we will host 2 communal Seders as well.

Thanks! We will have the passover fest all 8 nights next year with an even more Sephardic/Italian approach. In addition we will host 2 communal Seders as well.
That sounds great, though it now looks as though unfortunately, we won't be in the area to celebrate with you all :blink:

Our first Wine Wednesday was a whole lot of fun. We had quite a few Rockweilers there. Click for the next 5 wine wednesday lineups. Next week, April 25, we should be dpoing some wicked sausage, something with a little truffle oil and a pretty wacky cheese dish to go along with our trio of Piemontese wines. The week after, Rosso di Montalcino.

Our first Wine Wednesday was a whole lot of fun. We had quite a few Rockweilers there. Click for the next 5 wine wednesday lineups. Next week, April 25, we should be dpoing some wicked sausage, something with a little truffle oil and a pretty wacky cheese dish to go along with our trio of Piemontese wines. The week after, Rosso di Montalcino.

I second that emotion. In my quest to find an Italian wine that I really like, I plan to make Dino my regular Wednesday spot!! The wines last night were wonderful (even though they were red)!! This is best (and most economical) way for me to break out of my Riesling rut. Dean was chock full of joy and information as usual. It is definitely worth checking out!

Oh, and on the suggestion of many here, I also ordered the lobster pasta. And it was absolutely superb!! If I wasn't so full, there definitely would have been some sopping going on!

So next Wednesday, make your way to Dino. I promise, you will not be disappointed!!

I second that emotion. In my quest to find an Italian wine that I really like, I plan to make Dino my regular Wednesday spot!! The wines last night were wonderful (even though they were red)!! This is best (and most economical) way for me to break out of my Riesling rut. Dean was chock full of joy and information as usual. It is definitely worth checking out!

Oh, and on the suggestion of many here, I also ordered the lobster pasta. And it was absolutely superb!! If I wasn't so full, there definitely would have been some sopping going on!

So next Wednesday, make your way to Dino. I promise, you will not be disappointed!!

I agree that the selections were excellent. I tried all 3, plus some other items. In hindsight I'm extremely glad I walked home :blink:

The wines last night were wonderful (even though they were red)!! This is best (and most economical) way for me to break out of my Riesling rut. Dean was chock full of joy and information as usual. It is definitely worth checking out!

agreed. $25 was a steal to taste three different wines paired with 3 appetizers. politburo and i will definitely be back for the next 5 wednesdays (and maybe even a sunday or thursday when the burrata has just been flown in earlier in the day!) :blink:

Hey Dean, can you remind us of what the 3 wines were? I especially liked the first one (the one on the left as they were set in front of us); it the lightest of the 3.

The first was Begali Ripasso 2005, followed by Begali Tigiolo (Corvina, Cabernet, Rondinella & Merlot blend) 2003 followed by La Giaretta I Quadretti. All are on the focus list at current time.

agreed. $25 was a steal to taste three different wines paired with 3 appetizers. politburo and i will definitely be back for the next 5 wednesdays (and maybe even a sunday or thursday when the burrata has just been flown in earlier in the day!) :blink:

I will definitely be there tonight, if anyone else is interested in coming through. I'll probably get there about 7:00 or so and I'll be sitting at the bar. (I am an African American woman with shoulder-length curly hair.) Stop by and say hello.....

Shoot! I was just there last night.

The cold antipasto with various salumi, mozzarella and more vegetables than I was able to count (sweet potato, roasted red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant...) was a wonderful starter. I had polenta with pancetta for my main. The flavors are terrific, however I can't help but wish there were less "stuff" involved. Too many pepper, too many onions, leaving less room for the creamy polenta.

Thanks to Dean and my new favorite bartender Chris, I have found TWO new Italian wines that I will be placing in heavy rotation. (and they weren't even Rieslings!) WoooHoooo!!!!!

I don't think I have ever met a bartender that knew so much about wines (grapes, regions, production) let alone how to explain them to the wine-challenged me's of the world. Thanks for looking out for a sister. :blink: You guys are the greatest!

See you in 7 days! ;)

I took the parents into Dino last Saturday and was very very pleased with the experience. Love the non-pretentious atmosphere and friendly service.

We started with the burrata, which I thought was outstanding with the pesto and roasted red peppers. It has been a while since I had a creamy cheese like the burrata in a restaurant and was that pleased. Very fresh.

Next we moved on to the saltimbocca and the polenta with pancetta. The saltimbocca was excellent, great texture and very flavorful, it's nice to get something other than the regular beef meatballs sometimes and these hit the spot. The polenta was probably the highlight of the meal. I disagree with JLK; I think all of the different flavors and ingredients meshed perfectly together, with the salty delicious pancetta as a nice topper. This is a MUST HAVE if you go, I have not had anything like it in a restaurant in the area and it is excellent.

For the mains, we went with the lobster pasta, lasagnette, and the grilled asparagus. First, I liked the lobster pasta, but not as much as everyone else on here seemed to. The ingredients, like everything else, were fresh and clearly of a good quality, but I found the sauce to be a little bland and not quite as thick as I like my cream sauces. Still a nice dish with plenty of large chunks of lobster. The lasagnette was the best of the mains we had. Great twist on the dish with the fonduta and veal bacon, both of which were full of flavor and gave a nice switch in texture to the soft lasagna noodles. Definitely would order again. The grilled asparagus were nice as a switch from the heavy cheese and pasta dishes we had so far, with the potato cake really standing out. A good, hearty vegetarian dish is always nice.

Lastly, my dad and I had the gelato with balsamic for dessert just because we had to try such an interesting sounding dish to see what it was like. We were ecstatic we did. The ultra rich, sweet cream meshed perfectly with the tart balsamic, giving an outstanding flavor.

Overall, a really good dining experience that was made better by the great service by the tall, black-haired lady with the slight accent who was helping us (didn't catch her name). Rarely these days do I have memorable service at a DC restaurant, so I have to commend you for finding her, Dean, she was very attentive and helpful (didn't hurt that she was quite attractive either :blink: )

Can't wait to get back!

Just a reminder that Wednesday May 2 we are featuring Rosso di Montalcino for Wine Wednesday. We will have 3 examples (Ciacci Piccolomini 2004, Collemattoni 2004 and Agostina Pieri 2004) along with an appetizer plate from Chef Daniel featuring thre items designed to go with Rosso. $25.00 for food and wine. We are open from 6pm until 9:30 Wednesday!

Thanks

Went back to Dino last night for dinner. Finally got to try the burrata I had heard so much about. Definitely the highlight of the meal. The mix of mozzarella and ricotta melts in your mouth. It came with three small tapenades: olive (ok - pretty standard), roasted red pepper (good - not great), and roasted tomatos with garlic (wonderful). The plate also comes strewn with oil and pesto adds a nice extra flavor to the cheese.

For main courses, we had the Asparagi and the Gramigna Funghi. We were not very wowed by the asparagi. While it is a perfectly cooked plate of grilled vegetables with a nice light tomato sauce (and a bit of mozzarella), it is still just a big plate of vegetables. The accompanying spinach and potato cakes was very bland - my wife called it a sad latke. This would be better as a side dish, not a main course.

The gramigna funghi was better. The ample amount of mushrooms and light cream sauce (kind of runny consistency, not thick) were very good and blended nice. The pasta is an unsual shape - tubes that curl around on into almost circles. While it is always fun to have a different kind of pasta, I don't think this shape goes well with this sauce. The pasta is rounded and lacks ridges and so most of the sauce slid off - leaving me with a soup bowl of sauce in the end. I think a different pasta might be better for this dish.

We finished with the gelato and aged balsalmic. It was a nice combo - unsual flavor. The vanilla gelato was perfect. The mixture with the vinegar kept reminding me of a sour chocolate sauce. Definitely worth a try once, but I think once is enough.

Another thing worth noting was my wife's coke. Yes, it is worth noting, because it was not the usual coca-cola, but Boyland cane sugar cola. A lighter, less sugary taste. Very enjoyable.

Next time, we might have to get the bistecca fiorentina. Another table got this monster steak brought out on a big butcher board. This caused lots of stares and even a look of digust from one woman who I assume was vegetarian. I've never seen another person twist their face into such contortions over someone else's meal. Odd experience. The steak is more than enough for two to share and was cooked a perfect medium (I could see from my nearby table). The only bad thing was that the steak was so juicy that the juices spilled all over the place (but the staff cleaned it up quickly).

Stopped by Dino last night for happy hour with a co-worker. Dean graciously stopped by our table to recommend and tell us about Wednesday's wine flight. I absolutely adored the whites that I tasted, especially the "Christ's tears" (can't recall the Italian name).

We shared the appetizer of roasted garlic with gorgonzola and tomato mostarda. Heaven. The plump golden raisins and stewed tomatos in the sauce made it extra delectable.

All in all another great Dino experience. My one critique would be an error in service, or at least what I perceived to be. There was a piece of cork in my colleague's wine glass. When we alerted the bus boy and asked for a new glass, he simply returned with a clean glass and proceeded to transfer the same wine into the new glass. Yes, he did make sure the piece of cork stayed in the old glass, and my colleague didn't mind, but as a former server and someone who frequently dines out I would think an entirely new pour of the wine would have been appropriate, particularly since it was a 3 oz tasting.

Stopped by Dino last night for happy hour with a co-worker. Dean graciously stopped by our table to recommend and tell us about Wednesday's wine flight. I absolutely adored the whites that I tasted, especially the "Christ's tears" (can't recall the Italian name).

We shared the appetizer of roasted garlic with gorgonzola and tomato mostarda. Heaven. The plump golden raisins and stewed tomatos in the sauce made it extra delectable.

All in all aother great Dino experience. My one critique would be an error in service, or at least what I perceived to be. There was a piece of cork in my colleague's wine glass. When we alerted the bus boy and asked for a new glass, he simply returned with a clean glass and proceeded to transfer the same wine into the new glass. Yes, he did make sure the piece of cork stayed in the old glass, and my colleague didn't mind, but as a former server and someone who frequently dines out I would think an entirely new pour of the wine would have been appropriate, particularly since it was a 3 oz tasting.

I would think that a new pour would only be required if there were several pieces of cork debris floating around in the glass. For one small piece, I would have just fished it out myself and not said anything. It is not like the cork is going to cause any trouble (settle down Jake! :blink: ).

For you rose fanatics, next Wine Wednesday (May 30) features Rosato & light reds alond with grilled sausages. 3 - 3oz pours plus a trio of antipasti for $25. The follwoing is Lambrusco with more dead piggy products (we will ahve a vegetarian option for both weeks!).

We also have a new menu with a lot of spring inspired stuff.

Last add, over the last few months we have gone to all our meats and fish coming from natural/suystainable sources.

I introduced a whole bunch of in-laws to Dino's last night and they were very accomodating to last minute reservation changes. I had the polenta for the first time with grilled sausages and it was amazingly good. I might have order just that for dinner next time I go. That or the mushroom pasta which also delicious.

My husband and I enjoyed a spring dinner and Wine Madness Sunday night. We also enjoyed being indoors watching the thunderstorm pass through.

The house-made pasta with crabs, ramps, and peas was springtime on a plate.

I enjoyed the marinated day-boat tuna before the pasta, and my husband loved the octopus--comfort food, he declared. We did also share the salumi plate, which was tasty.

I don't remember what wines we had--have to ask my husband that--but they definitely enhanced the experience!

Thanks, Dean & Kay, for another wonderful Sunday dinner.

I would think that a new pour would only be required if there were several pieces of cork debris floating around in the glass. For one small piece, I would have just fished it out myself and not said anything. It is not like the cork is going to cause any trouble (settle down Jake! ;) ).
Use the finger on straw suction method to remove debris.

As always, do not eat the food at Dino. Do not eat the food at Dino. Repeat: Do not eat the food at Dino.

Well, this seems more than a bit unfair. I'm sure Dean would be distraught to hear that your wife may have contracted food poisoning at his restaurant. At the same time, generalizing from one bad experience to absolute advice like this makes no sense.

Let me put it this way: my wife and I along with six of our friends had a wonderful meal at Dino a few months ago. Service was great, the food was great, and none of us got sick. Based on that, does it make anymore sense for me to advise: "As always, eat the food at Dino. Eat the food at Dino. Repeat: Eat the food at Dino."?

ETA: A helpful member has just given me some context for this from the Old Ebbitt thread. I think my post still stands. In fact, it now takes on an ironic dimension, I suppose. ;)

This week's Wine Wednesday is Lambrusco & other Fizzy Reds from Itlay. Enjoy a 3 antipasto platter including Berkshire pig cheeks and gutsy, dry, bold & bracing Lambrusco. These are the kind of wines Robert Parker doesn't score highly, but wine lovers really should be drinking! Much cheaper than a trip to Modena!

We have brought back the Menu della Sera: $24 for three courses (starter, large plate and dessert) with 14 starters and 7 large plates to chose from. Sunday thru Thursday and you must order by 7:30pm

Our summer menu is up on the website.

Rosso di Montalcino for the next 2 Wine Wednesdays.

Grover and I and the family unit (plus grandson) metro'd out to Dino last night to celebrate Daddy's day. The grandson was his usual charming, flirty self and was quite happy entertaining himself (and the table next to us) while we ate. I'm not even going to attempt to enumerate what we ate (starting with some wonderful appetizers) and ending with limoncello for me and gelato and Balsamico for Grover. Suffice it to say that when Dean says huge hulking hunk of beef, be prepared for something only slightly smaller than a side of beef, perfectly cooked to a picture-book medium rare and wonderfully flavorful and juicy. Even though the 4.5 of us were satiated before the beef arrived, it didn't stand a chance. It disappeared almost immediately. The smiles of satisfaction were beaming as we made our way back to the metro and the trip back to the Escoffier manse.

Dino, you are a wonderful restaurant. You have yet to let me down... (and our server Alex is all right as well). A most memorable dinner (well the memories are a bit cloudy due to the excellent accompanying wine selections).

We're going this Saturday evening for the first time and looking forward to it. My wife just got back from Italy and wants to compare the Limoncello. What else should we not miss?
And I'm headed here on Sunday evening with my godmother and my cousin + cousin and me's respective SOs. I don't even know where to start in terms of food selections, so help a brother out!

Ask for the Piatto Blu Speciale! The waiter might seem perplexed, but the kitchen will know what you want. I won't divulge the amazing preparations you'll get, but it'll be worth every dime.

Buona Fortuna!

Ask for the Piatto Blu Speciale! The waiter might seem perplexed, but the kitchen will know what you want. I won't divulge the amazing preparations you'll get, but it'll be worth every dime.

Buona Fortuna!

I can't thank you enough for that suggestion. With any luck, it will rival the weekend specials that used to be offered at the Roma up the street: Eggplant Parmigiana, Pasta Fagioli and a nice slice of Spumoni. I'll bet that the leftovers will fill up the back seat of the Studebaker.

I haven't had it, but there's this enormous steak that comes out every time I go there. And it always smells amazing, maybe one day I will get around to ordering it. And then there's the vanilla gelato with the vinegar (not balsamico, but some other type) is fantastic.

I haven't had it, but there's this enormous steak that comes out every time I go there. And it always smells amazing, maybe one day I will get around to ordering it. And then there's the vanilla gelato with the vinegar (not balsamico, but some other type) is fantastic.

We are back to the Balsamico now that I found a new source (Crivelli vecchio.... mmmmmmmmmm)

The steak is the Bistecca Fiorentina, and now there are several more salbs o'protein to keep it company.

On the three course fixed price, I'd order the grain salad, the lamb pasta and the balsamico gelato. But that's just me...

Our first visit to Dino on Saturday proved that all of the praise I've read here is entirely well-deserved. From the greeting to the good night, we were impressed with the professionalism, ingredients, bar and table service and, especially, the warm and welcoming owners. We shared crostini and a root salad, and marveled at the combinations of flavors and textures. They were artistically done, and nicely balanced. I tried the 7-hour pork shoulder, a triumph of tenderness and crisp edges, which came with borlotti (sp) beans and a small arugula salad lightly dressed with a wonderful balsamic vinegar. My wife had the King Salmon special which, we agreed, was the best piece of fish either of us had tasted in years. Simply grilled, it was a lovely, deep pink that had explosive flavor, and was presented on soft polenta with sugar snap peas and a very generous mound of jumbo lump crabmeat. Although she is usually kind enough to share generously, she did everything but put up an electrified fence to keep my fork from the mother lode. This dish alone was worth the trip. With this, Dean recommended a 2005 Hilberg D'alba which paired quite well.

Dessert, which turned out to be a surprise from my younger son and his fiancée was Torte di Fragole e Rabarbaro, Tris di Cioccolato and a trio of made in-house Gelati. (Younger son's penchant for excess was happily forgiven.) Dean graciously sent us two glasses of dessert wine which were lovely, and I wish I knew what they were.

My wife, who grew up on a farm and spent her summers with relatives on the Chesapeake Bay, paid Dino her ultimate compliment, noting that, "This is what food is supposed to taste like." Indeed.

We're FINALLY going for the first time on Saturday -- we're going to try the 4-course (that first came out as "40-course"!!!) Venetian menu -- can't wait! We chose the Venetian celebration over the Tuscan celebration because many people say they do Tuscan food, but how many do Venetian?!