Happy Hour

alisa7

Heritage India Dupont (and the above-mentioned Corduroy) both run drink and food specials during happy hour -most restaurants tend to run one or the other.

The best plan of attack is Taberna del Alabardero for food (1/2 price tapas from 3-6pm) and then over to Circle Bistro for drinks (1/2 price wines by the glass, beer, and martinis until 8pm)

I remember reading somewhere that some of Morton's locations offer gratis filet mignon sandwiches at the bar during happy hour.  Anyone been?

I heard that also, never have been. I believe it is only on Monday nights though

I'd like to put in a plug for Circle Bistro - half-price beer and wine by-the-glass until 8 PM (yes, 8 PM) - that means $2.50-3.00 for beer, and $4.00-5.00 wine served in good stemware. And Brendan Cox is doing some nice work with seasonal vegetables right now, too (and let's not forget the fine pastry work of Heather Chittum).

Get the peach galette with ginger ice cream!

Rocks.

P.S. The following posts have been split off into separate threads:

The Reef (Dental FlossTycoon)

I'd like to put in a plug for Circle Bistro - half-price beer and wine by-the-glass until 8 PM (yes, 8 PM) - that means $2.50-3.00 for beer, and $4.00-5.00 wine served in good stemware.  And Brendan Cox is doing some nice work with seasonal vegetables right now, too (and let's not forget the fine pastry work of Heather Chittum).

Get the peach galette with ginger ice cream!

Rocks.

Doesn't BrendanC also have a $25/person weekly wine tasting with complentary amuse.

McCormick and Schmick's (16th & K) has super-discounted food with the purchase of drinks. Between 4 and 6:30, for $1.95 you can get:

Burger and Fries

Bavarian Weiner and Fries

Caesar Salad

Steamed Mussels

3 Oyster Shooters (served in a shot glass)

The HH selection differs by location.

circle bistro's weekly wine tasting is on thursday's and is a very good time. the tasting s are led by either Brendan or Will Reintzel, the manager.

morton's happy hour is a good time too, but if you have an allergy to self-important political discussions, you may want to avoid the place. i am pretty sure that the complimentary sandwhiches is a monday - friday promotion. i am partial to tuesday night's there with anthony and dino behind the bar. each does a damn fine job with a manhattan.

Tallula's happy hour specials can be found on their website (4 to 7 PM daily) with affordable food options off the Amuse Yourself menu. The restaurant offers any of their 70 wines by the glass by the half glass (3 oz pours) for half the price listed on the menu at all times.

Also, Vermilion has a pretty nice happy hour with a lounge menu if you're in Old Town some night. Their website is here.

I checked out Morton's happy hour last night (Wednesday). There were lots of complimentary tenderloin sandwiches as well as chicken tenders. Both were delicious. The chicken tenders had that fresh-not-frozen taste. Nice thin, crispy breading.

HOWEVER, I am not sure if the offerings we received are standard for Morton's HH - last night, there was a semi-shindig hosted by someone. It was open to the public though.

Drinks, at least the ones we drink, were not discounted. $8.50 or so for a Stoli and soda, $9 for some nondescript Sauvignon Blanc. And the place is terrible for anyone bothered by smoke.

I've had the Morton's tenderloin sandwiches at happy hour, they are good, and I also think Monday is when they do them.  Don't forget the happy hour menu at McCormick and Schmicks.

The happy hour at Tonic is pretty awesome. All of their burgers are 1/2 price and they knock a pretty substantial amount off of their drinks. (can't remember the details of the drink price, though)

Or you could just eat the 1/2 price burger and then drink at the Raven for the cheapest date in D.C.

And the best graffiti in a three state radius.

I checked out Morton's happy hour last night (Wednesday).  There were lots of complimentary tenderloin sandwiches as well as chicken tenders.  Both were delicious.  The chicken tenders had that fresh-not-frozen taste.  Nice thin, crispy breading. 

HOWEVER, I am not sure if the offerings we received are standard for Morton's HH - last night, there was a semi-shindig hosted by someone.  It was open to the public though.

Drinks, at least the ones we drink, were not discounted.  $8.50 or so for a Stoli and soda, $9 for some nondescript Sauvignon Blanc.  And the place is terrible for anyone bothered by smoke.

They didn't have $5 Martinis, Appletinis, or Cosmopolitans? I got the invite that mentioned these, but didn't end up going. The email also said that "Martinis & Kamikazes is the second Wednesday of each month," whatever that means.

Noticed a big sign in front of Zuccabar in Adams Morgan earlier this week, advertising some seriously cheap happy hour specials -- $9 pitchers of Yuengling and lots of food under $5, including cheeseburgers. I believe it's a Monday event.

Saw that sign too. What goes on in the Zuccabar? I live around the corner, but don't know anyone that's ever been in there.

Would be remiss not to mention David Geggory. For details on happy hour

click here

Those $5 pizzas are terrific, but holy crap, that pork and pinot is new to me! Has anyone partaken in those choices yet? Could you make a whole meal out of two or three of them?

Wednesday Nights...

PORK AND PINOT

Featuring Our Whole Roast Pig !

The Divine Swine

6.50 each - 3 for 18.75 - 5 for 30.00

Bacon & Bleu Salad

Pork Tenderloin

Pulled Pork on Bacon Biscuit

Tempura Bacon

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Pork "Burger" w/Bacon

Tuscan Ham Sandwich

Bacon Risotto

Pork Quesadilla

Those $5 pizzas are terrific, but holy crap, that pork and pinot is new to me! Has anyone partaken in those choices yet? Could you make a whole meal out of two or three of them?

I've been and it is a must do. You can enjoy the whole menu in the dining room, not just the bar. Two or trhee would definitely make a meal but you are going to want to taste more of them so go with friends and share.

Yes, you can have a meal on three of them. But the Pinot Noir is very optional: expensive and not the greatest selection.

Besides, if you have enough Stella Artois with your trio of pork, you can have Pee-no Clear.

What did Newton say when he tried to tinkle lying on his back?

Urethra! I've discovered gravity!

I don't know why I think of these things I just do.

I know that Oyamel has a all day Tuesday Happy Hour that started a few weeks back.

And it's pretty damn good, too. Starting at 11:30 am til 10 pm every Tuesday, saddle up the bar for $3 beer, $4 margaritas (a must with the sal de gusana) and drinks, and a slightly smaller version of any of their tacos for $1.50 each, as well as some other promising appetizers.

Edited by Capital Icebox

The best plan of attack is Taberna del Alabardero for food (1/2 price tapas from 3-6pm) and then over to Circle Bistro for drinks (1/2 price wines by the glass, beer, and martinis until 8pm)

The half-price Happy Hour tapas at Taberna del Alabardero were a mixed bag this evening. Certainly a jug of the sangria for $12 made things better, and they extended the bar prices to the sidewalk tables, which was nice because at 6:30pm there were not seats available at the small bar. The standout tapas were the two generous toasts with grilled red peppers, eggplant and wild mushrooms with goat cheese, and the shrimp in olive oil and garlic. The gazpacho was a disappointing bland and blended-smooth version with a lot of cream in it. We ordered three tapas to start and held off to see how full we'd be. Shortly after our food arrived, it began to rain a bit, so the umbrellas and tables got moved around to keep everyone happy and dry. By the time we settled back in and were ready to order the last two tapas, it took awhile for the waiter to come back outside. And then he pointed to his watch and told us that Happy Hour had expired eight minutes before, at 7:00 pm, and hence we were charged full price for the remaininder of our meal. Fair enough I suppose, and it was still a good deal.

The Reef has $1 off all drinks for happy hour and some great food specials throughout the week.

Tue: 1/2 price bison burgers

Wed: 1/2 price wine, with the purchase of one entrée

Thur: 1/2 price mussels

Just so you know, I’m the pastry chef at The Reef, but I’m not attempting to promote myself with this posting. I simply think the burger, wine and mussel specials are good ones, that aren’t widely known.

Billie

I am looking for suggestions for good restaurant happy hours, places that not only have discounted drinks, but also discounted food. I am also looking for restaurants that ave 1/2 price bottles of wine nights. Any ideas?

You are right, not many places do BOTH food and drink specials. A few noteworthy ones:

• Union Pub has many different options depending on the day
  • Alero has one of the best combinations of both food & drink specials
    • Capital City Brewery does the 1/2 price appitizer thing and some drinks
    • The Front Page (kind of young crowd, but good deals)
    • Mr Smith's of Georgetown
    • Tonic in Mount Pleasant does burger and tater tots deals
    • Austin Grill
    • Maggiano's Little Italy
    • Clyde's of Georgetown
    • Finn & Porter

Happy drinking....

Which location is better for you--do you have to travel to her office, or does she have to travel to yours?

I've noticed half-priced Tapas listed on the Mezza Luna placard--on 19th between L and M. After having lunch there today, I will definitely be going back, and not just for the happy hour (although that's a good place to start!) Apparently the restaurant is run by the same folks who do Panache, which is on DeSales Street, just off Conn between L and M. Panache may also have food at happy hour prices, if that location is better for you.

Heritage India Dupont (and the above-mentioned Corduroy) both run drink and food specials during happy hour -most restaurants tend to run one or the other.

Is Corduroy's happy hour REALLY only from 4-5???? I just heard that, but I shan't imagine it's true.....That sounds so limited!