On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

(ustreetguy @ Nov 16 2005, 12:08 PM)

I'm being taken out to La Ferme in Chevy Chase tonight for work.  Does anyone have any experience with this place or have any recommendations?  The reviews in the WP and Washingtonian seem a little outdated.

You'll likely be the youngest person in the room...

You beat me to it - I was going to say that I hear the clientele is a little outdated, too.

Edited by bilrus

More info on this please? Cost/time, etc. Danny what is your crew serving up?

I just ticked off the person I was supposed to have dinner with tonight so I might be planless. :lol:

Is anyone going to the March of Dimes Signature Chef Auction tonight at the Renaissance Hotel downtown?  If so, stop by & say hello!

You'll likely be the youngest person in the room...

You beat me to it - I was going to say that I hear the clientele is a little outdated, too.

That's what I was afraid of. At least I think we have a private room and it will be a fairly large sized party of co-workers. Edited by ustreetguy

We went to the concert at the Shrine last night.  Just when people start understanding that they must turn off their cell phones at such an event, we are faced with crying babies.  What moron would bring an infant to listen to an orchestra and chorus perform Beethoven's Ninth?  Why, there were TWO of them.  Execution is too good for some people.  Lord, I'm crabby today.

There is a review of this concert in today's WaPo, the top of page C9 ('Nostra Aetate' Celebration). It isn't on line, so I can't link it. When we left, Craig said it was worth every penny we paid for it (it was free). My comment was that it reminded me of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound." Phil Spector and Beethoven in the same sentence--go figure.

There is a review of this concert in today's WaPo, the top of page C9 ('Nostra Aetate' Celebration).  It isn't on line, so I can't link it.  When we left, Craig said it was worth every penny we paid for it (it was free).  My comment was that it reminded me of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound."  Phil Spector and Beethoven in the same sentence--go figure.

I don't know, I think it's a pretty apt comparison for certain performances of the Ninth.

Yes, let's see how they handle the hordes of conventioners from the hotels in Woodley Park.  The annual convention of my particular profession (the American Political Science Association) is held at the Marriott and Omni every few years.  I hate to generalize about my colleagues, but many of them are frankly cheap and rude.  And they are anything but hip.  Can Open City avoid becoming a "convention restaurant?"  I hope so. 

(I firmly believe that the restaurants in Woodley Park are generally not very good because of the convention business.  Conventioners are generally looking for a quick lunch rather than a good lunch.  Thus, the restaurants in Woodley can get away with charging a fortune for mediocre food because they have a captive audience.  Just my theory.)

:lol:

Sister in town this weekend for either ALA or African Studies (I can't remember which it is) at the Marriott. Need to find a place to eat dinner with her, her 2 year old son, and my mother, the nun.

Should I start drinking now?

:lol:

Sister in town this weekend for either ALA or African Studies (I can't remember which it is) at the Marriott. Need to find a place to eat dinner with her, her 2 year old son, and my mother, the nun.

Should I start drinking now?

2 Amy's?

There is a review of this concert in today's WaPo, the top of page C9 ('Nostra Aetate' Celebration).  It isn't on line, so I can't link it.

It is here. Scroll down to the 2nd review.... Ouch! Haven't seen such a harsh review since maybe Tom S. reviewed Leopold's Kafe [lame attempt to keep this post food-related] although it seems to be more a criticism of the space and acoustics than the performance.

It is here.  Scroll down to the 2nd review.... Ouch!  Haven't seen such a harsh review since maybe Tom S. reviewed Leopold's Kafe [lame attempt to keep this post food-related] although it seems to be more a criticism of the space and acoustics than the performance.

Thanks for the link (and the food reference). If you read between the lines, you will see that it was impossible to critique either the orchestra or the singers--the accoustics were that bad. I wonder if the BSO knew something the others didn't. The Shrine is many things; a concert hall it most definitely is not.

Fixing my @#$%^$%$@#@^^#@ leaking dishwasher. Granted the leak was probably becuase I installed it. Just as I was about to touch the screwdriver to the powercord I realized that I had NOT flipped the fuse. Whew, now off to the hardware store...

This is food related, right? :lol:

Not that I needed another distraction at work...damn it, sudoku online????

Heading somewhere in the Gallery Place/Penn Quarter for a drink. A hot drink would be nice to warm me up.

<friend just noted that she has a $20 card of some sort for Oya so that's where we'll be!>

Edited by JLK

I will echo JG's comment on the mystery of ordering a burger at Palena when there are so many other tempting things on the menu.
Have you not had the Palena burger? It is unlike any other. In fact, I will probably get one tonight. Edited by lackadaisi

Maestro!!!  :)   B)   :D   :D   :D   :D

Table for 2 at 6!!! :lol:   :P   :(   :)

so how was it?

Sorry!!! Been working overtime and have only gotten halfway through my writeup! I'll get it posted this weekend--promise!

It was the best meal I've ever had, and will live in my memory forever. (I wanted to put more throbbing heart emoticons here, but the board won't let me.)