dcpolicywonk

Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

What I had to do to get the reindeer can not be told in this forum.

I know this story, and without going into too much detail, let's just say that it involved a very shiny nose.

Doe, wood ear, rough e-mailed ear.

Rocks.

We had a fantab dinner at Ray's last night -- Jared was wonderful -- steering us, surprisingly, to what turned out to be an OUTSTANDING pinot noir -- from Australia. It was fruity and light -- a very pretty wine. Yum.

The salads had great flavor (if perhaps a smidge overdressed), and the steaks, as always, were superb. The key lime pie -- chosen even over chocolate! -- was also tart and tasty.

We turned out to be an unexpectly difficult table, as one of our party was on a security detail and couldn't get away, so we were three for most of the evening (with a steak ordered and put aside to take home for him), but then he was free, and we were actually the last folks out.

Thanks to Jared et al. for a great night out :-) We'll be back sooner next time!

Michael:

Do you know how the French terms 'Bleu' and 'Saignant' translate into your cooking?

Anyone buy a steak yet? I am thinking I need to stop by there tomorrow afternoon and pick some some steak.

For a small order, do you just stop on by and ask?

My husband is totally going to flip out. Then he's going to have to fight our 22 month old daughter for some steak.

Michael:

Do you know how the French terms 'Bleu' and 'Saignant' translate into your cooking?

Bleu=Extra Rare (Cold center)

Sagnaint=Rare (Cool center)

Always be sure to specify degree of charring, e. g. extra rare/extra char, rare/light char

I keep asking on TS's chat but no answer. When will the Silver Spring location open?

I had dinner at Ray's on Wednesday night and I asked the question above to the waitress. She said probably not before September, they keep running into construction and contractor issues.

Had the strip steak with blue cheese medium rare. I died and went to heaven.

So I just made a reservation for Ray's in a couple of weeks. I googled "rays the steaks" to find the phone number and I don't know what button I hit, but I ended up with images of Philly cheesesteaks and Rachael Ray. Are they teasers for some new advertising plan from Michael "Sir Loin of Beef" Landrum? :lol:

Seriously, though, one thing I did see was a link for www.rays-steaks.com which is apparently under construction. Is that yours, Michael?

Seriously, though, one thing I did see was a link for www.rays-steaks.com which is apparently under construction.  Is that yours, Michael?

I saw this website on google a while back, and I thought this might be Landrum's too. Turns out it is for a Ray's Steakhouse out of Austin, TX.

I saw this website on google a while back, and I thought this might be Landrum's too.  Turns out it is for a Ray's Steakhouse out of Austin, TX.

I've eaten at that Ray's Steakhouse in Austin. The event and the company were memorable. The food and service were just okay. It doesn't compare at all to Ray's the Steaks.

Can't get a reservation? Doesn't mean you can't have the steaks! These were cut from a giant slab of beef yesterday afternoon by Chef Hartzer.

Cowboy Steaks $26 each

I fed 6 adults and 3 approx 3-year olds on 3 steaks. The fourth is in my fridge awaiting ferocious consumption. They're about 2 lbs each.

Edited by Al Dente

We called tonight on a whim and got a reservation for next Wednesday at 9pm.

I'm very curious about the wine list - can anyone provide an update?

I was there on Sunday evening and my impression is that the wine list has shrunk by a couple of pages. But, my strategy is to ask Jared what to pour. He always has steered me in the right direction.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

I was there on Sunday evening and my impression is that the wine list has shrunk by a couple of pages.  But, my strategy is to ask Jared what to pour.  He always has steered me in the right direction.

That's usually what I do, too. Or at least select something and have him agree or disagree with the selection. Or toss another choice out there. I'm eating there tonight. What, if you recall, were your latest good selections?

That's usually what I do, too.  Or at least select something and have him agree or disagree with the selection.  Or toss another choice out there.  I'm eating there tonight.  What, if you recall, were your latest good selections?

The Chambolle Musigny burgundy and the Pontet Canet Pauillac.

The Chambolle Musigny burgundy and the Pontet Canet Pauillac.

I will hunt them down and slay them like dogs. Albeit really tasty dogs. With no fur. I don't know where the hell this is going...... :P

Or see if they have any of the Onyx Kroon left. That stuff kicks ass.

That is great stuff. I haven't seen it in a DC wine store yet.(has anyone?) Although I did pick up a few bottles of it at the Wine Source in the Hampden area of Baltimore

That is great stuff. I haven't seen it in a DC wine store yet.(has anyone?) Although I did pick up a few bottles of it at the Wine Source in the Hampden area of Baltimore

Circle Wine has it. Can't remember what their price is.

Edited by cjsadler

No Onyx Kroon on the list, so we ended up drinking the Mulderbosch Faithful Hound. If it was served at Firefly, Mayor Brown would have referred to it as a kitchen sink wine, with a hearty blend of merlot, cab sauvignon, cab franc, petit verdot, malbec and probably a few drops of something else stuck in there, too, just for good measure.

Food: Awesome as usual. A generous delivery of scallops and shrimp. I had the cowboy for the first time, ordered medium rare but delivered a bit too rare it needed a little more fire. It kicked butt when it returned. Others in our party had the hanger, the filet with blue cheese sauce, and a 20 oz. strip w/ bearnaise. The other couple we were with were there for the first time. They immediately said they need to make a monthly visit to Ray's.

On the way out I snuck in a table for this Thursday to entertain an out-of-town guest I haven't seen in about a dozen years. Our companions slotted a table for September already.

NEITHER ONE OF US WAS TOLD WE HAD TO GIVE THE TABLE BACK IN 90 MINUTES! (We were told we had 30 minutes! :P )

Thanks to Michael, et al for a tasty evening.