S'no Joke (Sorry, I Couldn't Take The Other Title Any Longer)

Ilaine

Tonight, we'll make chickpea curry.

And I am mighty tempted to see what happens to collards in my new Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. Two minutes for collards? Don't worry about the stems? Huh. We'll see.

I generally keep a lot of stem/rib on when I braise because I like texture. Stuffed cabbage for example. But, only 2 minutes? Please do report back!

Soupmaking time here at the laboratory of slackful delights. Gubeen wants potato-leek - I could tell from the big bunch of leeks she brought home last night - but I think I'm also going to throw a beefy minestra together. It's an excuse to try the Benriner julienne blade as a shortcut for cutting a uniform brunoise.

I was in the car 4.5 hours yesterday afternoon/evening (for a trip that would normally take an hour), and still made it to a restaurant.

You guys are homebodies. :)

That having been said, I guarantee each of you had a better meal than I did last night.

"Homebody" -- why yes, that describes me to a T. :)

Sorry about the commute. Everybody in my office thought I was being a bit nutty, perhaps hysterical, trying to get them all to go home before the storm started.

But what motivated me was when the writers for the WashPost Capital Weather Gang went home at 2:30 PM. If the weatherman goes home early, I will go home early, as well. Lesson I learned from living in Louisiana, if the weatherman gets the hell out of Dodge before a hurricane, just go. Be the first, not the last. Don't wait.

I left at 3:30, and had a hard enough commute going just six miles on Braddock Road from Springfield to Fairfax. 4.5 hours sounds like a nightmare.

I was in the car 4.5 hours yesterday afternoon/evening (for a trip that would normally take an hour), and still made it to a restaurant.

You guys are homebodies. :)

That having been said, I guarantee each of you had a better meal than I did last night.

Hey, I made it to a restaurant too.

And I had a fantastic meal, apart from the drunk marines hitting on my (married) girlfriend. :)

Snow day + lingering jetlag + a little preparation on Tuesday = the second batch of chicken stock of the day is simmering away.

65 pounds of chicken bits are yielding their yumminess, and their gelatin, to my water today.

What is holding 65 pounds of chicken bits? And water? Do tell?

Sadly, I couldn't partake. But the 10AM government holiday happy hour (declared even though school actually just opened late today) at Meridian Pint sounds a lot more fun than anything I've read about on this thread (with the possible exception of hitting on leleboo's girlfriend).

If we ever get a full shutdown, I have pledged to be there. Jake, drop the chicken bits of chez moi, and they can simmer while explore the exotic suds.

Just got power back after close to 24 hours off the grid. Only had the stove top burners and the house was 50 degrees so we went off to El Paso Cafe in Arlington. I had a rather tasty Pescado Frito (pan fried whole rockfish) and a couple Golden Margaritas; warmed me right up. We stuck most of the refrigerator items right in the snow, so we saved it all.

Domino's delivery :)

24 hours without electricity + the house is inside out from getting most of it painted.

Man, I missed a great simmering day *and* had to throw out great leftovers that languished in the fridge. I was so looking forward to the rest of the pork, but when the thermometer registered 45+ degrees, it was time to be ruthless and start tossing things out. I practically cried when I trashed my Blue Ridge mozzarella - 2 of 'em :)

24 hours without electricity + the house is inside out from getting most of it painted.

Man, I missed a great simmering day *and* had to throw out great leftovers that languished in the fridge. I was so looking forward to the rest of the pork, but when the thermometer registered 45+ degrees, it was time to be ruthless and start tossing things out. I practically cried when I trashed my Blue Ridge mozzarella - 2 of 'em :)

Dude, that's what the "walk-out" refrigerator is for. Put the stuff in a plastic bag -- and a pot, if there are squirrels -- walk out the back door, and save your stuff in the snow.

Dude, that's what the "walk-out" refrigerator is for. Put the stuff in a plastic bag -- and a pot, if there are squirrels -- walk out the back door, and save your stuff in the snow.

Yeah... I know...it was just the timing of it all. We should have put the food in snow immediately, but went to bed instead, hoping for the best. The power clicked on around 2am, but it was only for a minute.

The good news is that the freezers were rock solid.

:)

So, you looked at the thermometer in the fridge to make this decision?

We're still without power. Milk was still coolish this morning and when I return, I plan on finishing up the AMAZING pork sugo I opened last night. if the power's still off, is there a danger?

It's snowing (?) now, or at least was when I headed to the powerful city of Washington, D.C. for warmth and internet service. However, I thought it was supposed to get warmer today, so I didn't bother stuffing anything in a cooler outdoors.

None of us has opened the freezers, so I am hoping all is rock solid. If not, I'll cry since I have some chicken feet to enrich future stocks, bacon, pancetta, butifarra, tomato sauce, homemade soups and stock...

:)

So, you looked at the thermometer in the fridge to make this decision?

We're still without power. Milk was still coolish this morning and when I return, I plan on finishing up the AMAZING pork sugo I opened last night. if the power's still off, is there a danger?

It's snowing (?) now, or at least was when I headed to the powerful city of Washington, D.C. for warmth and internet service. However, I thought it was supposed to get warmer today, so I didn't bother stuffing anything in a cooler outdoors.

None of us has opened the freezers, so I am hoping all is rock solid. If not, I'll cry since I have some chicken feet to enrich future stocks, bacon, pancetta, butifarra, tomato sauce, homemade soups and stock...

I used an instant read thermometer for the pork and decided to use an abundance of caution. I was going to heat it outside on the grill...but after cooking the hell out of it just to be safe, it just wouldn't be the same. I have another rack of 4 chops that Mr. MV insists I made the exact same way.

From the research I did yesterday (thank goodness for iPhone internet), 4-5 hours without power is the max for the fridge. Dairy, meat, eggs should be tossed, so they said. So, I did :)

4-5 hours without power is the max for the fridge. Dairy, meat, eggs should be tossed, so they said. So, I did :)

Huh? I thought from blizzard experience last year, 24 max. Aint gonna toss my expensive aged Parmesan, just scrape it, and am certainly NOT going to toss eggs that most people used to keep on the kitchen counter during the winter--many still do!

Huh? I thought from blizzard experience last year, 24 max. Aint gonna toss my expensive aged Parmesan, just scrape it, and am certainly NOT going to toss eggs that most people used to keep on the kitchen counter during the winter--many still do!

The freezer can keep up to 2 days if not opened. About 24 hours if only half full. The cheese is fine if it's a hard cheese. I kept my eggs and butter. It was really the leftovers that took a hit.

The freezer can keep up to 2 days if not opened. About 24 hours if only half full. The cheese is fine if it's a hard cheese. I kept my eggs and butter. It was really the leftovers that took a hit.

Ah! Well, if I don't post on Tuesday or Wednesday, it's because I took a big risk. I picked up Nathan Anda's pork sugo (Red Aprong) at the Dupont Circle market last Sunday. Unopened package still chilly last night, so I ate two servings-worth w pasta last night. Guess I'll overcook the rest if it's cold tonight--or toss it.

Had red lentil soup for breakfast and am still feeling fine. Shhh...but I am about to use the microwave here at WFM to heat up chicken and brown rice prepared less than a minute before power went out on Wed. I guess I'll toss the last serving of that and the buttermilk and the yogurt (?)... Fresh cheese is in freezer. We'll see.

Some items might be safe after 2 days in a chest freezer, but I wouldn't count on it in an upright. After 5 or 6 hours, expect to see significant melting in items with very low melting points, like ice cream.

You could clear a upper shelf and load blocks of dry ice into it; at last check it was about $2/lb at Harris Teeter. Wear heavy insulated gloves and avoid touching it; it can be dangerous stuff.

Some items might be safe after 2 days in a chest freezer, but I wouldn't count on it in an upright. After 5 or 6 hours, expect to see significant melting in items with very low melting points, like ice cream.

You could clear a upper shelf and load blocks of dry ice into it; at last check it was about $2/lb at Harris Teeter. Wear heavy insulated gloves and avoid touching it; it can be dangerous stuff.

I picked up a block of dry ice once. Once. I thought I was going to have permanent nerve damage. Not kidding.

I also read that if the food is a bit defrosted, but still cold, you can re-freeze it. The quality may be affected, however.

Used the snow time to replenish my supplies of homemade vegetable and chicken stock.

Also made the best Minestrone I've had in a long time. Recipe can be found on the Mrs. Wheelbarrow blog. I made a couple of modifications to the recipe: used my homemade veal stock instead of the chicken stock and used borlotti beans from Rancho Gordo in place of the lima beans. Delicious! A perfect winter soup on a snowy day.

Someone w Master's degree in hotel mgt & food science (Morocco) told me that while proteins create the most fears when it comes to this particular food-safety issue, they're the last to present dangers.

Sure enough, after an outage of around 42 hours, the ice cream containers in uprights were squishy and the loaf of bread held crystals, but was on the verge of soft. However, the meats were all solidly frozen, so I was very relieved!!! Neither freezer was opened during outage.

We packed many large containers full of snow and packed the freezer and fridge full of them. Put the most crucial stuff (milk, butter, cottage cheese, etc.) in a cooler also packed with snow but kept condiments, bread and some items that we wouldn't care if we lost them in the fridge. All survived quite well. (Power out Wed eve, back on 1am Thurs.)

C'mon guys, time to revive this thread for Snowquester?

This time we have an embarrassment of riches, Paleo meals for three from DC Power Supply, about whom I shall post soon. May I just say, nom nom Paleo?

We have milk and toilet paper, no bread, we are gluten free. And lots of booze.

Enquiring minds want to know, how about you?

More important, what are you doing Wednesday? Since you will be home, and all. I AM an optimist.

C'mon guys, time to revive this thread for Snowquester?

This time we have an embarrassment of riches, Paleo meals for three from DC Power Supply, about whom I shall post soon. May I just say, nom nom Paleo?

We have milk and toilet paper, no bread, we are gluten free. And lots of booze.

Enquiring minds want to know, how about you?

More important, what are you doing Wednesday? Since you will be home, and all. I AM an optimist.

Since it was my turn to cook dinner tonight, I headed to the HT in AdMo for the ingredients to make my non-authentic Pad Thai. Was surprised by how many people were there at 4 pm buying lots of stuff. It won't be my turn to cook tomorrow, but I will need to be ready for Wednesday. I will make use of the local, small, purveyors and avoid the Safeway and HT, since I know what those places are going to be like. On the other hand, the prediction is for temps in the 50s over the weekend, and 60 degrees on Monday!!!! Who cares about food? It's time to start gardening!

I heard Jason Samenow (Capital Weather Gang) on NPR today. Evidently, we're "right in the bullseye" and "could get 5 or more inches on Wednesday" OR "we might move out of the bullseye" and "skirt the storm altogether."

There's some helpful forecasting ferya. ;)

As of this typing, we're back in the bullseye.

In anticipation of shoveling cement every few hours on Wednesday, the evening menu is going to be lasagna, garlic bread, butter pecan ice cream from Dumsers in Ocean City, and a bottle of wine that I collected from my wine tastings this past weekend.

I went to Su Pollo, picked up 1/2 chicken w/ rice & a small aguadito de pollo ($2), one of the best chicken soups I've ever had, especially w/ a little green sauce stirred in. It's not really feeling like snow yet, is it? But who am I to question the Capital Weather Gang, especially when they call for thundersnow...I moved a bit more firewood closer to the house, that's the extent of my prep....

I happened to make a vat of turkey chili the other day, so that's waiting for the snow to come. Also have the makings for pad thai, plus a plethora of veggies and some sausages from Jamie Stachowski. I've got a bottle of red and a bottle of white and about half a bottle each of gin and brandy. Plus Korean ginger tea pulp. I'm ready for wherever my palate takes me.

Still not totally convinced but have to admit it is looking more likely as we get closer.

Here's my question though. Isn't the most severe scenario one that might mean a day of closures or road problems at most? Could go without food altogether that long (dog too...unless its a chihuahua, shih tzu, mexican hairless or lhasa apsa :D )

After the in laws came up this past weekend and brought goodies from the chest freezer, the freezer and fridge are fully stocked. I am going to make sloppy joes tonight and a salad. I have had an odd sloppy joe craving recently that I can't curtail. I will also pickle some ginger, carrots and maybe some radish. Not sure what I am going to make Wednesday it depends on if I am staying home (hopefully- signing my snow day song- yes I have one of these I was raised in Garrett County for goodness sake- no I will not sing it for you, I am embarrassed enough to sing it for the snow gods only- the song only works if you sign it out loud which is really quite embarrassing now that I am married- I cannot guarantee snow based on doing the snow day song although it had a high percentage of working in Garrett County). If I am staying home, I think I may make soft pretzels and maybe a chili, or a soup, or marinate some steak and make something more interesting. Choices, choices! I will also likely make blueberry pancakes and sausage with maple syrup for breakfast.

Thank goodness the dog has food, we have toilet paper, milk, butter, etc etc. The one bad thing about the fridge being fully stocked and me trying to cook more lately is I miss the opportunity to schlep up to Clarendon in the snow and drink and eat. I mean, I will be doing the same thing at home, maybe I will invite some neighbors to the drinking fest so it feels more like I am in Clarendon.

Isn't the most severe scenario one that might mean a day of closures or road problems at most?

Actually, I think that it's that the snow is expected to be wet and heavy, with high winds, so odds of downed trees/powerlines and extended days without power are possible.

• Like 1

Actually, I think that it's that the snow is expected to be wet and heavy, with high winds, so odds of downed trees/powerlines and extended days without power are possible.

We already got an automated call from Pepco and we don't lose power during storms. That doesn't mean we never lose power, but our lines are underground.

I have plenty of food, but the dog doesn't. Dammit.

The good news is that the dog will eat pretty much anything <_< Not good as a long term diet, but...it will be back in the 50s by the weekend.

I've got some beef to make stew tomorrow. Tonight is a polenta, which will have leftovers. I also bought some tortillas to make something or other if I need to.