Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts - Reopening Mon, Sep 24 at 5 PM!

Had some nice fried squash blossoms today at 2 Amys. Didn't think the roasted beets were all that, though. The strawberry semifreddo was as good as DCJono reported earlier -- though it did prevent me from trying the chocolate brownie chunk ice cream and I'm still sorta wondering...

Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very hungover today. Misery mitigated somewhat by three cold bottles of San Benedetto and a great pizza topped with chanterelles, fontina, garlic, parsley and hot, orange, burstingly-juicy sungold tomatoes from a local grower in the Northern Neck. Now for a little lie-down.

Worked in a late lunch at 2 Amy's on Saturday afternoon. Had the usual margherita with processutio (sp). Very good !

Even when the place is half empty it's too loud!

Skipped dessert... :P Nothing really appealed to us.

I need to get there more often!

Jennifer

Haven't been to 2 Amys for awhile. Going tonight though with a crew that doesn't eat pork, any suggestions? Any new specials that are worth trying?

Thanks.

Edited by KeithA

Haven't been to 2 Amys for awhile. Going tonight though with crew that doesn't eat pork, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Unless they don't eat it for religious reasons, get new friends.

Unless they don't eat it for religious reasons, get new friends.

That IS the reason. And, I know a lot of folks here like the meat balls and salami, etc hence the reason for providing that tidbit. Any one else with real suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Haven't been to 2 Amys for awhile. Going tonight though with a crew that doesn't eat pork, any suggestions? Any new specials that are worth trying?

Thanks.

They sometimes have a special pizza with various mushrooms that is pretty good. The Little Things section of the daily specials have also been good on various visits.

Thanks.

They could do worse than consider the Etna. Eggplant confit, olives, capers, oregano, grana. I never ordered it for years because I thought I didn't like eggplant. Then I did, and now I do.

The menu is here, by the way.

They could do worse than consider the Etna. Eggplant confit, olives, capers, oregano, grana. I never ordered it for years because I thought I didn't like eggplant. Then I did, and now I do.

The menu is here, by the way.

When did Amazon start posting menus?

Thanks.

Fried zucchini cut into spears was on the menu monday night. a table of four will fight over an order of two small plates. by the way, the thermometer has been a bit on the sweltering side the past two times we have been in there, and we weren't sitting that close to the ovens. i guess air conditioning is not authentically italian.

I was there on Tuesday and we dined at the bar. At various points during the meal, my friend and I were fanning ourselves. The bartenders seem to have control over the ceiling fans, and for whatever reason, they sometimes slow them down. A lot.

Anyway, we had a good meal. I wasn't all that jazzed about the potato and ham croquettes, but dessert was incredible: blackberry tart with cardamom ice cream. BLISS!

Fried zucchini cut into spears was on the menu monday night. a table of four will fight over an order of two small plates. by the way, the thermometer has been a bit on the sweltering side the past two times we have been in there, and we weren't sitting that close to the ovens. i guess air conditioning is not authentically italian.

Thanks for the rec. The fried zucchini appetizer was a big hit. You have to love good ingredients with a simple preparation that lets the food shine.

Also, last night was admittedly on the cool side, but we were just fine temperature wise and we sat pretty close to the oven.

catherine deneuve in a movie by jacques demi never fiddled over any food more beautiful than the blackberry semifreddo we shared last night. the ceiling-fan air conditioning system here, which can provide a dubious reminder that it is sweltering outside, was perfect for displaying this voluptuous dessert -- a cool and silken mound melting into a pool of deep pink, tears of golden caramel sauce and three small ginger brown cookies standing as sentinels. the attack came from two sides, and our reverie was over in a flash. (i keep thinking things are running in honey this summer, when they are not.)

I would like to add to the list of "Desserts that Make You Swoon" the blueberry chocolate chip ice cream I had on Friday night. Oh my!

I would like to add to the list of "Desserts that Make You Swoon" the blueberry chocolate chip ice cream I had on Friday night.  Oh my!

Swoon indeed! I think I'm going to have to start calling midday to see what their ice creams of the night are- that sounds amazing.

The New Englander in me can't seem to get enough ice cream as of late. I had the Cinnamon Nut Crunch ice cream last Tuesday night and that was absolutely lovely. I'm thinking I need to sit at the bar after classes, get a glass of wine and some ice cream, heh. (Back on the student budget afterall.)

Took the kids tonight.

Had the Fried Risotto Balls for an appetizer. We had two pizzas, the margharita and they made up a white for me (Mozzarella, Ricotta & Gorgonzola). The flavor was great.

We got there at 5pm and we were able to get a two top on the deck, when we left at 6:15 there was a line down the block (at least ten tables or so), who would have thought on Sunday of a holiday weekend.

We got there at 5pm and we were able to get a two top on the deck, when we left at 6:15 there was a line down the block (at least ten tables or so), who would have thought on Sunday of a holiday weekend.

I went tonight as well and I wasn't surprised that the bar was full at 9:30 PM. They ran out of dough tonight it was so crowded.

I encourage everyone to get the bean salad from the bar menu. I had it tonight and I was really happy with it. I also had ricotta cheese on a pizza for the first time...suddenly, I had a whole new world of pizza possibilites opened up to me.

Went this afternoon at 5:00 and sat for the first time in the patio outback, which was just lovely on such a nice fall afternoon. When did it become fall all of a sudden.

I had the chanterelle mushroom pizza special which was great. The woodsy mushrooms were complemented by cherry tomatos, fontina cheese, and slivers of garlic that roasted when the pizza cooked. They said this special had been around a while, so go get it while it lasts.

Also, if you haven't skipped the pizza and tried one of their paninis yet, I recommend the smoked mozzarrella and lamb meatballs. I had it a few weeks ago and spotted it on the menu today. It is super.

For the second Sunday in a row I had dinner at Two Amy's and am considering making it a weekly tradition. Both meals, preceded by a short wait of only 10-15 minutes, were fantastic.

Last week I started with the heirloom tomato salad with basil and sexy salt. It's taken me a lifetime to learn to like tomatoes and this dish throws in my face what I have been missing. It comes with three types of regular heirlooms and a scattering of heirloom cherry tomatoes. Last week there were purple cherry tomatoes in the mix and that was the only thing missing this week.

I also had the chanterelle mushroom, cherry tomato and fontina pizza that was a special both weeks. The flavor of the mushroom gets a little lost in the cheese and tomatoes but adds a nice texture. Not to mention that when it first comes out the fontina is nice and stringy (not that I would eat pizza there with my hands :lol::P ).

Tonight I had the vongole pizza for the first time. My only complaint was that my dad managed to get himself the slices with the most clams. Who would have thought that whole clams on a pizza would be good? I am glad someone did.

The oddest thing about my two trips was that at some point in the meal each week my friend or my father pondered aloud if every young family in NW with children were there for dinner. I can't blame them if they were.

I started with the heirloom tomato salad with basil and sexy salt.

By the way, I haven't heard this anywhere, but it did pop into my mind once, and it must surely be:

"sexy salt" = "sec sea salt."

N'est-ce pas?

Rox.

The oddest thing about my two trips was that at some point in the meal each week my friend or my father pondered aloud if every young family in NW with children were there for dinner. I can't blame them if they were.

Most tof the times that I have gone (either Fri or Sat night) I have thought that the place could double as a day care center. If it is that bad around 8-8:30 on a Sat night I would hate to see it on a Sun evening.

Most tof the times that I have gone (either Fri or Sat night) I have thought that the place could double as a day care center.  If it is that bad around 8-8:30 on a Sat night I would hate to see it on a Sun evening.

Try on a Saturday afternoon!