Bebo Trattoria, Chef Claudio Sandri in Crystal City - Closed.

server: "If you like, I can have them make it over for you and overcook it the way you like."

Do yourself a favor and don't ever let a server talk to you like that again. Even if you were wrong (which you definitely were not), they should remain polite and immediately go back to make sure the food is cooked to your liking. It is inexcusable for them to do anything different.

The poor service seems to be par for the course at this place, eh? I have only been once and the food was pretty good (southern Italian in this area always seems to leave something to be desired), but the service will almost certainly keep me from coming back any time soon.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scene: Last night, sitting at the bar having dinner

Bartender A: What would you like tonight (after showing me the menu, etc)?

Me: I'll have the risotto of the day.

(wait for a bit)

Server: Here's your risotto, sir.

Me: Thanks.

(wait for a bit while I'm eating)

Bartender B: (bends down to get a good look at my plate) What's that?

Me: Umm, the risotto of the day.

Bartender B: Hmm, never seen that before.

Seriously? You've worked in Bebo longer than 5 minutes and haven't seen anyone order the risotto? Now granted it was an oddish purple color (still not sure which of the cheeses in the 4-cheese risotto would do that so I surmise that the first bartender may have gotten the risotto of the day wrong, but it was good so I didn't care all that much), but still. And asking the customer what it is that they ordered from your restaurant? You'd think he'd at least ask one of the other bartenders or something.

I thought it odd more than anything else. I'm pretty sure he was a trainee of some sort as basically the only job he had was to wash the barware and refill water while the other two bartenders helped the customers, but I did think it pretty funny.

I learned from my mistakes in the past and only sit at the bar. The food is good enough that I do find myself craving it every now and then (especially since it's accesible to where we used to live and where I stay now when I'm in town) but not enough to subject myself to the service in the main seating area. Service in the bar has always been fine for the most part.

Apparently it wasn't the stocky guy behind the bar from whom we got such stellar service [/sarcasm]. That dude didn't know what was on the menu, ripped the cork from our bottle in half (poor opening technique, not a dry cork), brought us the wrong wine and didn't let us see it to know it was the wrong wine, couldn't find the sommolier, and promptly forgot about us mid meal.

I really don't want this place to be doomed to failure, but man these guys have got to get their sh*t together.

We had dinner at Bebo tonight. This was probably our fifth or sixth trip there. Biscuit Girl and I almost always sit at the bar, and have yet to experience the service problems that others have written about. Sometimes the service has been a little inattentive, sometimes a little flaky, but nothing that wasn't forgivable. Tonight the service was good.

Biscuit Girl had the rabbit, which now comes with the fried matchsticks of zucchini. I had the grilled cornish hen. We also shared the rapini and the french fries. As we were getting our fries, another customer said "Those look good!" And they were, fresh cut from potatoes and dusted with parmesan cheese. The grilled cornish hen was perfectly cooked, and had a nice spicy bite to it. When I say perfectly cooked, it was still juicy but fully done through. It was so good I was picking up the bones and gnawing on them. Next time, we're thinking we might just get the chicken and a pasta dish, and share between them.

The rabbit was good, although Biscuit Girl said that the orange mayonnaise sauce was a little bitter. The rapini looked like it had been chopped into smaller pieces than it used to be, although the flavor was still as good as ever.

We finished the rabbit and the french fries, and I had left a piece of breast and thigh from my hen and some rapini. I'm going to have the best lunch ever tomorrow.

When we were finishing up, Chef Donna came out of the kitchen to chat with some friends at the bar. Then he went to look over the dining room. I told Biscuit Girl she ought to say hi to him, since she took one of his cooking classes last year, but before she could he came over to us, just to check and see how things were. I don't think he recognized her. Based on this, I think he's keeping an eye on the dining room.

One question, though, that I should have asked him. What has happened with the pizza oven?

I had dinner at the bar with my daughter and a friend a couple of weeks ago. The food was great. Highlights included the special breaded veal sweetbreads with lemon sauce and the marinated pork chop. The sweetbreads were "Eve-esqe" in that they were lightly breaded and slighly crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The lemon sauce added a bit of citrusy zing. The order was large enough for the three of us to share. The pork chop had great flavor from the marinade and perfect grilling. And, even though strawberries are not in season, the strawberry pudding was excellent as usual. A creme brulee with fresh strawberries and a vanilla gelato. My dining companion had the rockfish and reports that it was wonderful. My daughter, a devout carnivore (a chip off the old block), wished she had ordered either the bolognese or the pork ragu instead of the ravioli. The place was hopping on a Friday evening, SRO. Service at the bar was about what one would expect on a busy Friday evening at the height of happy hour.

My experiences eating at Bebo at the bar have been along the lines of Jacques Gastreaux's. I've had terrific meals here. And an aside--this is the first place in or around Washington where I'd go because I'm craving tripe, it's so incredible.

It's table service where I've had problems, both in small groups and as a part of a large one situated at that big center table at 6pm on a Tuesday. On this board, we've talked about taking charge of a dining experience by alerting the floor manager. But in my couple of experiences, that has not improved the dinner, after an hour wait between drink orders and the first course, wine spilt on my father in law's shoes, and arguments over dishes along these lines, "Um, I didn't order this salad." Server: "Yes you did. Now, here."

Despite a couple of experiences like this, because the food is so good and so well priced, I've recommended it to several friends visiting from out of town or going for their destination-dining dinner for a birthday. Unfortunately, while they also appreciated the food, they ended up dejectedly slinking out of the restaurant after feeling that their patronage wasn't valued.

I'm sorry to hear about this fracas between Chef Donna and Todd Kliman. I do hope that it leads to better service at Bebo.

Don't know about the pizza but I am surprised not to read any comments on the article in the Washington Post about Roberto and the food critic for the Washingtonian.

When I was there about a week ago, I was told by one of the bar staff that they are waiting on a permit from the county/state for the oven. All they can do is wait. Sucks for us. :o

When I was there about a week ago, I was told by one of the bar staff that they are waiting on a permit from the county/state for the oven. All they can do is wait. Sucks for us. :o
You know the joke about bebo having to wait for something just writes itself.

After our dinner Saturday I am afraid the memories of our very good dinners at Bebo and only at the bar are not quite, but almost forgotten. My entree was an item I haven't ordered at Bebo before but usually love elsewhere, linguine with clams. When the bartender brought my dinner I took two bites and told my fiancée that it was about as dry and overcooked as it could possibly be. The pasta and the clams were inedible and had no seasoning at all. After sending back my entrée (something I never do) fifteen minutes later I received the same dish but I swore it came from a different restaurant. It was wonderful, cooked perfectly, tender juicy clams, and seasoned just right. I asked the bartender why the difference but she didn't want to answer for whatever reason. By the time I received my dinner I had already ate half of my fiancée’s entree and wasn't hungry. I ended up taking two bites of the pasta and eating the clams. I was asked if I wanted to take the rest with me but I declined. Roberto was on the floor the whole time we were there, talking to guests and employees. At first we thought this was a good thing but we now think Roberto should head back to the kitchen until he can trust whomever was back there Saturday night to serve a dish as well the first as they do after it has been sent back to the kitchen. I give our bartender Stephanie credit, she took the entree off the check and for the first time in five visits we were given bread after we ordered, although we never got olive oil or butter. We had a $100 check before tax and tip without being charged for my entree. I am very temped not to try again.

After our dinner Saturday I am afraid the memories of our very good dinners at Bebo and only at the bar are not quite, but almost forgotten. My entree was an item I haven't ordered at Bebo before but usually love elsewhere, linguine with clams. When the bartender brought my dinner I took two bites and told my fiancée that it was about as dry and overcooked as it could possibly be. The pasta and the clams were inedible and had no seasoning at all. After sending back my entrée (something I never do) fifteen minutes later I received the same dish but I swore it came from a different restaurant. It was wonderful, cooked perfectly, tender juicy clams, and seasoned just right. I asked the bartender why the difference but she didn't want to answer for whatever reason. By the time I received my dinner I had already ate half of my fiancée’s entree and wasn't hungry. I ended up taking two bites of the pasta and eating the clams. I was asked if I wanted to take the rest with me but I declined. Roberto was on the floor the whole time we were there, talking to guests and employees. At first we thought this was a good thing but we now think Roberto should head back to the kitchen until he can trust whomever was back there Saturday night to serve a dish as well the first as they do after it has been sent back to the kitchen. I give our bartender Stephanie credit, she took the entree off the check and for the first time in five visits we were given bread after we ordered, although we never got olive oil or butter. We had a $100 check before tax and tip without being charged for my entree. I am very temped not to try again.
After e-mailing a note to Roberto about this dinner I received a reply that apologized for our problems and asking us to give them another chance, also offering free appetizers when /if we return. I was also told that management is looking into the problems and are very aware of the service issues.

I give our bartender Stephanie credit, she took the entree off the check and for the first time in five visits we were given bread after we ordered, although we never got olive oil or butter.

I've always had good luck with Stephanie as well. She's very friendly and has done well by us.

Actually, I've never had olive oil or butter there, either. I believe that Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill and Carrabba's have spoiled many to believe these are expected. For that matter I don't remember Maestro ever serving these either...or Tosca, Obelisk...

I'm not trying to be critical but we've sat at the bar at Bebo at least six or seven times now and the food-as many posts on this board point out-is excellent. When you factor in the price it is extraordinary.

I should also note that the Washingtonian, on its website, gives Bebo two and one half stars. Same as the Washington Post. Some of Bebo's food is outstanding and remarkable to find at any price. I also remember when this city didn't have many of the dishes that Roberto is serving. And, if D. C. did, he did it better.

There is a pile on, a "herd" mentality on many of the topics on this board. Yes, there are service issues at Bebo. There are also service issues at some of the icons for which this board is known. But there is also excellent food there. I've had too many dishes that I enjoyed far too much on too many visits to believe that this restaurant isn't the the treasure that inspired a Rockwell dinner there only a month or two ago. Just as a Rockwell dinner at Roberto's Galileo on a Sunday night last Fall when the chef came in on her night off to cook for "Rockwellians." I don't care how many people complain: his quattro fromaggio risotto, strawberry shortcake, whole Rockfish in a sauce with 20 letters whose name I cannot pronounce and ten or more other dishes are the best of their kind in the D. C. area and equal to much of what I've had in Italy for this price. If they weren't so good then why do so many who contribute to this board continue to be there on the nights that I've shown up?

If the dining room is that bad, sit at the bar. And introduce yourself! For that matter go back to the edge of the kitchen and say Hi to Roberto and ASK HIM TO ORDER FOR YOU. Then, when he prepares it himself, please, post on here what you think of it.

Until then, butter and olive oil should not expected to arrive with the bread at Bebo.

Actually, I've never had olive oil or butter there, either. I believe that Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill and Carrabba's have spoiled many to believe these are expected. For that matter I don't remember Maestro ever serving these either...or Tosca, Obelisk...

I'm not trying to be critical but we've sat at the bar at Bebo at least six or seven times now and the food-as many posts on this board point out-is excellent. When you factor in the price it is extraordinary.

I should also note that the Washingtonian, on its website, gives Bebo two and one half stars. Same as the Washington Post. Some of Bebo's food is outstanding and remarkable to find at any price. I also remember when this city didn't have many of the dishes that Roberto is serving. And, if D. C. did, he did it better.

There is a pile on, a "herd" mentality on many of the topics on this board. Yes, there are service issues at Bebo. There are also service issues at some of the icons for which this board is known. But there is also excellent food there. I've had too many dishes that I enjoyed far too much on too many visits to believe that this restaurant isn't the the treasure that inspired a Rockwell dinner there only a month or two ago. Just as a Rockwell dinner at Roberto's Galileo on a Sunday night last Fall when the chef came in on her night off to cook for "Rockwellians." I don't care how many people complain: his quattro fromaggio risotto, strawberry shortcake, whole Rockfish in a sauce with 20 letters whose name I cannot pronounce and ten or more other dishes are the best of their kind in the D. C. area and equal to much of what I've had in Italy for this price. If they weren't so good then why do so many who contribute to this board continue to be there on the nights that I've shown up?

If the dining room is that bad, sit at the bar. And introduce yourself! For that matter go back to the edge of the kitchen and say Hi to Roberto and ASK HIM TO ORDER FOR YOU. Then, when he prepares it himself, please, post on here what you think of it.

Until then, butter and olive oil should not expected to arrive with the bread at Bebo.

Note it is my bold above. Come on JoeH, why should I have to introduce myself to the chef and have them order for me to get a decent meal? I don't have to do this at other restaurants.

I have had a few meals at Bebo and they have all been inconsistent with some dishes being good and others not so good. And the bar service is only slightly better than sitting in the dining room, which is by far worse than any board icon.

Joe, with all due respect (and I mean that--I've learned an enormous amount from you), how much credibility do your comments on any of Donna's establishments have at this point? Anybody who has followed these boards knows that you know him very well personally, that you were one of his invited audience guests when he was on Iron Chef (!), and that you have held numerous special meals at his restaurants.

Do you honestly believe that you get the same food and service as the rest of us when you go into Bebo? And if it requires establishing a personal relationship with the chef to get top-notch food and service, then that strikes me as a pretty damning review of a restaurant.

On most of my visits he is not even aware that I am there until I am halfway or later through the meal.

My comment about going back and saying Hi is just that: when you sit at the bar you can look back and sometimes you'll see him stand near the entrance to the kitchen. I'm suggesting walk back and say hello to him; tell him that you're unsure what you should order and would like him to order for you. Not the bartender or the waiter's opinion on "what's best" but Roberto's decision. Not because of any special friendship. But rather because of his pride in what he wants you to try. He has a ferocious amount of pride in his food. I'm saying "justifiably."

For that matter, if you are in the dining room, tell the waiter to have Roberto order for you. Just some parameters like first course, second, etc. But give him a lot of room and insist that the waiter tell Roberto that you are very passionate about food and really look forward to eating his.

I'm not trying to be critical but we've sat at the bar at Bebo at least six or seven times now and the food-as many posts on this board point out-is excellent... If the dining room is that bad, sit at the bar.

Some of the food is excellent, some is complete crap. Sometimes the service at the bar is good, sometimes it is crap.

That is, in my mind, a worse problem than a place that is crap all the time. They prove that they can turn out good food or be helpful, but that they can't be bothered to replicate it even most of the time. Inconsistency is the big problem here.

It's unsalted. Don't ask me why.

The deMedici family had the salt monopoly assigned to a family allied with them. It became patriotic to not use salt. Patriotic became tradition. If you want good bread in Toscana, order a loaf of Pugliese which HAS salt.

My comment about going back and saying Hi is just that: when you sit at the bar you can look back and sometimes you'll see him stand near the entrance to the kitchen. I'm suggesting walk back and say hello to him; tell him that you're unsure what you should order and would like him to order for you. Not the bartender or the waiter's opinion on "what's best" but Roberto's decision. Not because of any special friendship. But rather because of his pride in what he wants you to try. He has a ferocious amount of pride in his food. I'm saying "justifiably."

While I agree with mdt's notion that one shouldn't have to do this to get a decent meal, I rather like this idea. I'm sure I'm going to do it, too. I find it akin to putting my meal in the hands of the sushi chef when I'm at the sushi bar. I haven't been to Bebo in about 3-4 weeks. Last visit, I recall a very nice plate of tongue.

On most of my visits he is not even aware that I am there until I am halfway or later through the meal.

For that matter, if you are in the dining room, tell the waiter to have Roberto order for you. Just some parameters like first course, second, etc. But give him a lot of room and insist that the waiter tell Roberto that you are very passionate about food and really look forward to eating his.

Joe, I think that everyone will acknowledge that Roberto is an amazingly talented chef. I still remember meals we had at Laboratorio practically course for course, even ones several years ago now. However, there is a distinction between being a great chef and a great restauranteur. For all of the great meals I had at Laboratorio, I was never impressed with Galileo, and have not been impressed with Bebo, by and large. It's extremely frustrating to see so much potential in a restaurant, but have the same issues repeated over and over (service was also an issue at Galileo). With a chef of Roberto's caliber, it seems that the approach you outline above should not be necessary in order to have a good meal at his restaurant. With any luck, Roberto will take as much pride in the FOH as he does in his food.

Note it is my bold above. Come on JoeH, why should I have to introduce myself to the chef and have them order for me to get a decent meal? I don't have to do this at other restaurants.
I have had a few meals at Bebo and they have all been inconsistent with some dishes being good and others not so good. And the bar service is only slightly better than sitting in the dining room, which is by far worse than any board icon.Actually, I've never had olive oil or butter there, either. I believe that Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill and Carrabba's have spoiled many to believe these are expected. For that matter I don't remember Maestro ever serving these either...or Tosca, Obelisk...
I have never eaten at Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill or Carrabba's but I have been served olive oil in many fine Italian restaurants, including the kitchen of my very Italian uncle and in his neighbors (a Grandmother, Grandfather, Uncle, Aunt, Mother, Father, and daughter) kitchen. I have also been served butter in some Italian New York restaurants. I should add that on the part of family and neighbors I am talking as long ago as forty-five years, not something new. As to the difference in the two dishes I can only say again, that it was like they came from two different restaurants, it wasn't a slight difference but a tremendous difference. I agree that I have often had something in a restaurant, returned another day and the dish was different but not to the point of the two plates of linguine and clams that I was served at Bebo.

"And the tips about locating RD to improve your experience are just, forgive me, daft"

Now that you are coming after me this is a different matter. It is not just about Bebo. You are using words like "privileged" and "begging" and other adjectives that have nothing in common with what I suggested. You are also calling me "daft."

Sorry, but you're getting too personal and I resent it.

My suggestion was an honest one and a simple one which I've seen people do many, many times in a lot of different restaurants. If you see the owner or chef, simply say Hello and ask, as I HAVE ASKED MYSELF in hundreds of restaurants, hundreds of times here and everywhere else I've been: what would YOU have if this was your first visit to your restaurant? What would you "hope" that I ordered if you thought I wanted to taste what you do best." There are many people on this board who have been out to dinner with me or part of a group that I was in. They'll tell you: I ALWAYS do this. Everywhere.

"If you have to work for privileges, or indeed to get your waiter to make bloody eye contact, it's just not worth it. There are too many places in this city who will serve me a nice dinner and kiss my bottom without me lifting a finger."

I'm going to suggest that people on this board scroll back through the threads on both Ray's. At the countless number of posts where people on this board saw Michael and warmly introduced themselves then asked what they should have. Fifty posts? Hundred? Two hundred? How about posts on HERE where people ask what they should have? For a lot of restaurants! How about Chowhound and eGullet? And Roadfood! I thought that part of the purpose of these boards was to ferret out the best that a chef/restaurant/dump/joint can serve. I've offered a way to do it that I've used since I was a kid and saw my mother do when we went out. She was a waittress, my father was a chef and both swore that it worked the best. This was fifty + years ago.

Nadya, it's ludicrous that you-someone who I do not know, yet understand represents a well known restaurant, Bis,-will take it upon yourself to assume that I implied such . I NEVER intended such a thing. Again, virtually every restaurant I go into for the first time (or the second), if I see a waiter/waittress who is knowledgeable and seems to CARE (repeat CARE) about the food I will ask. If I see the owner I guarantee that I will ask. It has nothing to do with privilege, favors, arrogance or anything else. It has to do with my personal obsession for tasting the best that someone can offer. I'VE DONE IT AT YOUR RESTAURANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I'm not going to change. Perhaps tonight, if you overhear someone ask the chef/staff/yourself what should they have-it could be me...

Of course, I see now that I'm going to have to be more creative in certain situations with how I ask this. Hmm...perhaps..."If I was George Bush-and you liked me-what would you hope that I would order?" "If this was my last meal before an extended fast." "If I were having all my teeth pulled tomorrow, what should I have here tonight?"

Totally understand and sincerely appreciate your words.

I'm also hoping that I don't have a toothache anytime soon. I'd hate my last comment above to be prophetic!

"If I were having all my teeth pulled tomorrow, what should I have here tonight?"

Again, virtually every restaurant I go into for the first time (or the second), if I see a waiter/waittress who is knowledgeable and seems to CARE (repeat CARE) about the food I will ask. If I see the owner I guarantee that I will ask. It has nothing to do with privilege, favors, arrogance or anything else. It has to do with my personal obsession for tasting the best that someone can offer.

Yes, but where are these servers and bartenders at Bebo? Few and far between. There comes a point when the consensus goes well beyond groupthink, which should be obvious given that the service and food issues have been independently reported in several places: here, in the Post and Washingtonian, as well as on local food blogs. The problem is much bigger than just what we are whining about, Joe.

I enjoyed my lunch at Bebo today (and, for anyone wondering, it takes exactly 25 minutes to walk from the Hayes Street entrance of Pentagon City mall into Bebo.)

I sat at the bar and had fine service. It was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed looking out the front windows at the outdoor scene. I loved the fennel salad, which was nice and light, but it differed a bit from the description on the daily specials. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I had intended to get the pork shoulder or meatball panini but decided it would be too filling. I ordered the tuna salad panini instead, which may seem odd in an Italian restaurant, but I got a craving for it when I saw it on the menu. My grandmother often made tuna salad sandwiches for Friday lunch. I think there was a bit too much bread vis-a-vis the filling, but that's probably me.

It was a very nice lunch.

My suggestion was an honest one and a simple one which I've seen people do many, many times in a lot of different restaurants. If you see the owner or chef, simply say Hello and ask, as I HAVE ASKED MYSELF in hundreds of restaurants, hundreds of times here and everywhere else I've been: what would YOU have if this was your first visit to your restaurant? What would you "hope" that I ordered if you thought I wanted to taste what you do best." There are many people on this board who have been out to dinner with me or part of a group that I was in. They'll tell you: I ALWAYS do this. Everywhere.

But the difference at Ray's is that the food and service was exactly the same, excellent, whether you introduced yourself to Michael or not. That is absolutely not the same at Bebo and that is part of the problem.

But the difference at Ray's is that the food and service was exactly the same, excellent, whether you introduced yourself to Michael or not. That is absolutely not the same at Bebo and that is part of the problem.

And at Ray's Michael is generally out in the dining room talking with every table.

Probably very trite to report on bad service at Bebo at this point, but here goes. Second visit last night, second time at the bar, although this time at one of the two-tops along the perimeter. Waiter barely spoke any English, so asking questions or soliciting recommendations was moot. Ordered a couple glasses of wine and tried to put in appetizer orders, but were told that we had to order appetizers and entrees at the same time so the kitchen could be more efficient with our table. Eh, ok whatever - no biggie. So we wait for our wine....

Wine comes out fairly quickly and SPLASH, gets dumped all over my fiance's suit pants and my legs. Again, no big deal - the waiter was mortified but we didn't make a stink about it. These things probably happen nightly or at least weekly at most places anyway. Our concern was not with the waiter's slipup, but with the utter lack of corporate/house response to the situation. The waiter seemed terrified to let anyone else on the staff know what happened, so for about 10 minutes we're left standing beside a table that is covered with red wine with a sticky, slick floor underneath. Ick. My fiance has a very obvious red stain covering at least 50% of his pants, but again no response - the waiter has disappeared apparently in shame and no one else seems to care. Let me say that this table probably sees the most traffic in the entire house (right in front of the bathroom and kitchen corridor behind the bar), so it's not like 10 runners, bussers, and other floor staff were not passing by the mess. Finally, a runner takes pity and gets a mop - waiter reappears frantically explaining himself, ok fine fine, can we just re-take our seats and get on with it?! Meanwhile, the manager finally appears - NOT to apologize for the mess and take note of our new decorative stainage, but to completely ignore the mops, puddles of wine, etc to berate our waiter over a bill snafu elsewhere. We might as well been invisible.

Sigh. With this incident over, we moved on to the menu. What, you say you want the pork ribs? "We don't have those anymore." Ok, what about the pork rib ragu? Nope, "that's the point, we are out of pork ribs." Aha, I see. "Wait, let me check on the pork ribs again." He comes back, and all of the sudden they have them again. (Note that this was another 10 minute process of the waiter disappearing and reappearing to take our order. Finally, appetizer and entree orders are in.

As with others' opinions, here is where the night greatly improved. The food was very good, but not over the top great. I had the mussels, which were far and away better than the pork ribs in tomato sauce (little dry, not terribly tender - Tallula's beef ribs with salsa verde and grits are much better). Fiance ate lighter, ordering the sausage from the bar menu and the pasts fagioli. Pasta fagioli I thought was fantastic - he thought is was just ok. The point is that the rest of the night was blessedly free of any other service snafus.

Overall? Well above average food, but the experience does not match up. I left there feeling more stressed and on edge than I did when I arrived to unwind and indulge in above par food and wine. Snippy attitudes, LOUD clanging, crashing of dishes and glasses, runners and servers who race around looking like they are one spilled glass of wine away from being deported unless they run, RUN to get this huge tray of food out to table 49, and a lack of passion "alignment" regarding the food between the kitchen and the rest of the house (who couldn't care less about the food, it seems).

My mini rant/review ends here - but I have to share a tidbit about O'Faolain's Irish Pub in Ashburn. Last week, I was there for a pint after work with a couple "exurban" friends. Friend A is gesticulating wildy and knocks over a full Stella (of which my pants are the lucky recipient). Totally our table's fault, we're embarrassed, contrite, etc. (Note that this happens before any of us even take a sip of beer!). However, the house springs into action, bringing over floor caution signs, mops, buckets, runners to reset the table, bartenders pouring up fresh brews, and the owner is rushing over to ask if I'm ok and is there anything he can get me (towels, club soda, etc). Note that this is with a near-full bar and WE spilled the beer, not the waiter! Just food for thought on how service dffers across the spectrum of dining experiences.

Wine comes out fairly quickly and SPLASH, gets dumped all over my fiance's suit pants and my legs. ..... My fiance has a very obvious red stain covering at least 50% of his pants, but again no response - the waiter has disappeared apparently in shame and no one else seems to care.

Friend A is gesticulating wildy and knocks over a full Stella (of which my pants are the lucky recipient).

I'd hate to be on the receiving end of your dry cleaning bills. Please keep us posted where you will be dining so we can stay clear.

I'd hate to be on the receiving end of your dry cleaning bills. Please keep us posted where you will be dining so we can stay clear.

The "Stella" pants were fortunately 100% machine washable. The "Barbera d'Asti" pants from Bebo? Not so much....

Moral of the story? Drink beer in Irish pubs! :blink:

More than any restaurant in town, Bebo Trattoria has a dichotomy between its food and its service. In four visits, I have yet to have a single course at Bebo that wasn’t good, and much of what I’ve eaten has been superb.

Salmon Carpaccio ($8.95) with Frisee and Parsley is a good dish, but even more interesting is a plate of Thinly Sliced Pigs Feet ($5.95), a mosaic-looking plate with salsa verde and giardinera salad, surprisingly mild, and a rubbery challenge to cut. Get these alongside of the Poached Asparagus ($7.95) served chilled with a fabulous sauce, a hard-boiled-egg based dressing with enough acidity and depth to wake up the relatively mild salmon and pigs feet. Black Cod ($18.95) is poached, and served with a tomato and orange sauce with raisins atop a little mound of leeks. The dish was perfectly executed, and like most of everything else here, underpriced given the quality and quantity. For my money, Bebo remains one of the best food values in the entire city.

That having been said, the service at the bar here has gotten even worse, if such a thing were possible. It would be one thing if people working the bar were clueless, indifferent, or arrogant, but combining all three of these with a complete disconnect between front-of-house and kitchen makes for an intolerable, unacceptable dining environment. Relatively late in the evening, fully fifteen minutes went by before we got our wine — first we were ignored, then we ordered a bottle that they were out of, then we were ignored some more, and then fortunately, the second bottle we ordered was already at the bar.

A short time after placing our food order, we asked to add some sauteed rapini to go along with the cod. As we were less than halfway finished our three cold appetizers, the cod arrived and was unceremoniously plopped down in front of us. We took a bite, proclaimed it excellent, then let it sit and get cold while we went back to our starters.

At some point the bartender came over, saw the cod, and said, "It’s coming. The rapini is at the sautée station now."

This wasn’t a problem at the time because we had another ten minutes before we even began eating the cod. However, when another thirty minutes went by and we had finished everything, including the cod, I had become irritated with the entire situation.

I called the bartender over and said, “so, that rapini that was at the sautée station twenty minutes ago — I know that's not going to be on the check, right?"

He didn’t say a thing because there wasn’t much he could say. However, at one point during the meal, he turned around and noticed the other two bartenders absent, and angrily said "why am I the only bartender?" for all to hear. Answer: Because nobody gives a damn, including you. A few minutes before that, another one of the bartenders walked by and said, "yeah, we'll be drinking real soon."

The bar staff at Bebo gives the impression that they hate their job, disrespect the patrons, and do not want to be there. To our bartender's credit, he was conscious enough to see that I was angry, and when the check arrived he didn't charge me for the wine. However, I insisted on paying for the bottle, and because of this one gesture, left him over 20% tip on the entire check.

On the way out, I noticed an auspicious sign at the host stand, for all to see, which said "Don't Believe The Washingtonian." Everything I wrote up to this point was my personal opinion, having nothing to do with the magazine. However, speaking as the Wine Columnist for The Washingtonian, I'm now going to remind everyone what I wrote about Bebo's wine program in the February issue, when I included it as one of the best in town:

"Bebo Trattoria (Matteo Graziani). Roberto Donna's new Crystal City restaurant isn't just serving good food; it also has one of the best Italian-wine lists in town, full of bargains both by the glass and the bottle. (88 wines, 57 $40 or less.)"

You can choose to believe what I wrote, or you can choose to believe the sign at the host stand, but I stand behind my words: I assure everyone here that Bebo Trattoria does, in fact, have a good, fairly priced wine program.

Cheers,

Rocks.

On the way out, I noticed an auspicious sign at the host stand, for all to see, which said "Don't Believe The Washingtonian." Everything I wrote up to this point was my personal opinion, having nothing to do with the magazine. However, speaking as the Wine Columnist for The Washingtonian, I'm now going to remind everyone what I wrote about Bebo's wine program in the February issue, when I included it as one of the best in town:

"Bebo Trattoria (Matteo Graziani). Roberto Donna's new Crystal City restaurant isn't just serving good food; it also has one of the best Italian-wine lists in town, full of bargains both by the glass and the bottle. (88 wines, 57 $40 or less.)"

You can choose to believe what I wrote, or you can choose to believe the sign at the host stand, but I stand behind my words: I assure everyone here that Bebo Trattoria does, in fact, have a good, fairly priced wine program.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The sign that you mentioned references a significant correction in the current issue of Washingtonian:

"In a review of Roberto Donna's Bebo Trattoria in the March issue, dining editor Todd Kliman wrote that Donna had "declared bankruptcy" in 2004. This statement might have caused readers to think that the chef had declared personal bankruptcy. In fact, it was Donna's restaurant, SER Corporation t/a Galileo, that filed for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy statutes. The article also incorrectly stated that Mr. Donna's debt was $2.5 million, when that was SER Corporation's debt on the date of the bankruptcy filing. SER Corporation's bankruptcy counsel, Darrell Clark, advises us that in December 2005 SER Corporation successfully exited Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and the case was closed in June 2006. The Washingtonian regrets the errors in the article and apologizes."

How the hell does someone of Roberto Donna's stature get away with having such major FOH issues? Are we so starved for "celebrity" chefs here that he gets a pass just for being who he is? Is the food truly worth the harassment (and I mean that exactly) of trying to have a competently served meal at Bebo?

Edited to be fair. :blink:

Should we make a protest march? I left my first meal at Bebo excited for the kind of trattoria cooking this town lacked. But the ridiculous consistency of the service reports here are beyond the pale for a chef who wants any reputation, let alone that of a double Iron Chef participant and erstwhile Wine Spectator Grand Award winner.

[by the way, where is Galileo's cellar these days?]

I have only briefly scanned this thread, so my comments will be brief:

I was so excited at the idea of Roberto Donna settling on my side of the river, if only temporarily. I've been to Bebo twice, and won't bother again. Both times food was just OK and service was sub-par. Once at the bar, service was medocre, and once in the dining room service was purely awful. Both times the restaurant was not even half full. There are too many places where I experience better service and no insults, so why should I give Bebo another chance?

As for butter and oil with bread at Maestro, I've dined there many times (about a dozen times last year, for instance) and have always been offered salted or unsalted butter for my bread (I usually decline both) and on one happy occasion was actually offered olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But that was once and never again, as the new staff member who offered it on one visit was never seen again.