Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

Typically I won't use the adjective magnificent to describe anything more than the dream I have where I fly through the clouds. But go have a scoop of the strawberry sorbet and the the strawberry ice cream side by side and you'll see exactly what I mean. The ice cream is more creamy and fluffy than sugary, which makes the flavor of strawberry that more vivid and savory. Something so simple made complex.

Chilled pea soup. I don't know what to say about this dish. Try it. It somehow manages to be soothingly rich yet refreshing at the same time. It tastes like peas and not much else. A lovely way to start a meal.

Also lovely were the asparagus, the scallops, and the halibut. Actually the latter two, our entrees, were so good that we each ate half of what we ordered, then swapped and finished the other's plate.

Chilled pea soup. I don't know what to say about this dish. Try it. It somehow manages to be soothingly rich yet refreshing at the same time. It tastes like peas and not much else. A lovely way to start a meal.

And if you chose the jerusalem artichoke soup instead, like I did last Saturday, you wouldn't go wrong either.

Now, see, I wanted the parsnip soup to try for a lot of reasons: I had to buy a bag of parsnips and only used a couple of them, plus my tarragon is going gang-busters out on the patio. It wasn't available the last time we were there. Jerusalem arthicoke soup???? When did that show up?

I'm tellin' ya, Power's way with soup is a damn shame. Now I'm gonna have to try a parsnip soup all on my own . . .

Let me tell yo, the flat iron steak with frites on the bar menu is damn good. The steak has some of the best beefy flavor I've ever encountered and it comes with a sauce that appears to be some sort of pan deglazing with veal stock. The frites are wonderful too, a big helping of them that goes reallly good with the sauce. 18 bucks, I think.

eta: Oh, and the '00 Chateau Lalande-Borie St. Julien is spectacular.

Those of you who thought the Strawberry tart was "bland" have a real treat in store. Tom Power has a Blueberry tart to die for. Nothin' bland about this baby. It comes with either Mango sorbet or Vanilla ice cream. It will only be available while the really good blueberries are in season. Go get it while you can. I wonder what he is going to do with peaches when they are in season?

Craig and I went to a happy hour Birthday party for a friend this evening. A drink or three plus a slice of cake and we were ready for some food. We debated about going to BdC and the probability of having to wait in line (so I could have the mussels that he doesn't care for) or take a walk to Corduroy and hit the bar. We did the latter. We snuck in unnoticed by Rissa and ordered that lovely Sylvaner, split an order of the goat cheese "porcupine," and Craig ordered the pasta with sausage and I had the soft shell crab (again!). Then, Rissa spotted us and sat down for a chat. I TOLD her we had just had dessert and didn't need another thing. I could have been talking to a wall. She brought us each a scoop of the mango sorbet. What lovely stuff. Then, after we had settled the bill and were finishing our coffee (desperately needed at that point), she brought us each a sample of that tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I mean REALLY. Do either of us look like we starving?

It was about 10 by the time we were really ready to leave, so we went to the window to the kitchen to look for Tom Power to thank him (and so I could do that silly business of blowing kisses at him). He was no where to be seen. Kathy (Kitkatpaddywak) was there and told me that he had probably stepped out.

In chatting with her, I told her that this place is so special to us. We KNOW without a doubt we will eat well without having to mortgage our future. I also got a little bit philosophical and said that no one is guaranteed tomorrow, as much as I wish Tom a long, happy, prosperous life. None of us know how long that place will be there and the future is not in our hands.

So, we will continue to treasure that place and all who work in it. I asked Kathy to blow some kisses at Tom for me. She said she would. :unsure:

Chilled pea soup. I don't know what to say about this dish.
How about luxurious, delectable, velvety, seductive, luscious, enchanting, and silky? :unsure: It is a sublime confluence of taste, texture and temperature.

Thanks to the folks at Corduroy for making our friends' Anniversay/Farewell dinner such a delightful evening.

How about luxurious, delectable, velvety, seductive, luscious, enchanting, and silky? :unsure: It is a sublime confluence of taste, texture and temperature.

Thanks to the folks at Corduroy for making our friends' Anniversay/Farewell dinner such a delightful evening.

I had the chilled pea soupd tonight. Awesome!

Those of you who thought the Strawberry tart was "bland" have a real treat in store. Tom Power has a Blueberry tart to die for. Nothin' bland about this baby. It comes with either Mango sorbet or Vanilla ice cream. It will only be available while the really good blueberries are in season. Go get it while you can. I wonder what he is going to do with peaches when they are in season?

Craig and I went to a happy hour Birthday party for a friend this evening. A drink or three plus a slice of cake and we were ready for some food. We debated about going to BdC and the probability of having to wait in line (so I could have the mussels that he doesn't care for) or take a walk to Corduroy and hit the bar. We did the latter. We snuck in unnoticed by Rissa and ordered that lovely Sylvaner, split an order of the goat cheese "porcupine," and Craig ordered the pasta with sausage and I had the soft shell crab (again!). Then, Rissa spotted us and sat down for a chat. I TOLD her we had just had dessert and didn't need another thing. I could have been talking to a wall. She brought us each a scoop of the mango sorbet. What lovely stuff. Then, after we had settled the bill and were finishing our coffee (desperately needed at that point), she brought us each a sample of that tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I mean REALLY. Do either of us look like we starving?

It was about 10 by the time we were really ready to leave, so we went to the window to the kitchen to look for Tom Power to thank him (and so I could do that silly business of blowing kisses at him). He was no where to be seen. Kathy (Kitkatpaddywak) was there and told me that he had probably stepped out.

In chatting with her, I told her that this place is so special to us. We KNOW without a doubt we will eat well without having to mortgage our future. I also got a little bit philosophical and said that no one is guaranteed tomorrow, as much as I wish Tom a long, happy, prosperous life. None of us know how long that place will be there and the future is not in our hands.

So, we will continue to treasure that place and all who work in it. I asked Kathy to blow some kisses at Tom for me. She said she would. ;)

I took my boyfriend's parents to Corduroy tonight for two reasones: 1 - the food is always excellent 2 - I know the service & the friends there will make it a special evening. And of course, I was right. I cannot rave enough about the chilled pea soup. I am a soup lover. I love all types of soup. And I've tried ALL of Tom Power's soup's, i have to say I love them all. And this one has the right mix of sweet and with that dollop of cheese he puts in the middle. Just great.

an I too had the soft shell crab as my main. Honestly barbara, I could not help myself after the descriptions on this board. I felt kind of rude as I realized I only offered my dinner companions a taste until I was practically done. Well, the rules of proper sharing came back to me...albeit a little late in the dinner. PS: My boyfriend ate every last goat chees ravioli and piece of lamb. on his plate! Did not offer me a bite. You know what his excuse was? You've already had this dish. Yeah, right!

Anyway, wonderful food. as always. !

Had my first Corduroy "experience" tonight.

After wondering if I was using the correct parking garage and wandering aimlessly around the Four Points lobby for a few minutes, we managed our way upstairs.

Our waiter was great, although I didn't catch his name (or did, and am just horrible at remembering - he was bald, well-groomed, looked kinda like the tough secret service guy with the heart of gold - I'll call him Goldy).

Per Don's recommendation, I set my heart and tongue on the torchon of foie gras... which was unavailable that evening. Phooey. Luckily, it was replaced with a lobster & basil oil salad, which was the best cold lobster dish I've had outside of Maine (the best HOT lobster dish being a thing with lobster, champagne, vanilla and truffles at Allred's in Telluride, CO - yes, I said "thing" - not all of us went to L'Cordon d'Fancie-Schmancie).

My better half got the oysters, which I gotta say were a little fishier than I expected. They were still very meaty and refreshing.

For dinner she got the scallops and I had the lamb. Goldy was kind enough to recommend a pinot noir as a light red that could go with both our dishes. I chose a half bottle of pinot noir from Willamette Valley, because Willamette Valley was the final desination in the Oregon Trail educational video game I used to play as a kid (I can hear ever oenephile on this board wretching over my selection methods).

The scallops were huge! I thought maybe a little TOO huge, as the ratio of perfectly-carmelized-outside to chewy-innards was not as high as it could have been. The morel sauce was incredible. If I drank coffee, I'd replace my morning cup with a jar of the stuff.

My lamb was beautiful. I've never seen a more perfectly cooked piece of lamb before, and I'd walk a mile for that red wine sauce. The goat cheese ravioli was scarfolicious - it's a damn good thing my fiancee hates goat cheese. I could have done with the ravs being a bit larger though - it felt like I was eating the best tasting Chef-Boy-R-Dee in history.

I resisted the urge to order the chocolate sabayon in favor of the vanilla bean creme brulee (since vanilla is fast becoming my favorite indulgence). It was good. REAL good. Too many creme brulees go down like heavy, gloopy custard - this one was light and not too sweet. The blueberries on top were fresh and juicy. My one complaint is that all the vanilla specks had settled to the very bottom, and that maybe they needed to steep a bit longer because I wasn't getting quite the intense vanilla flavor I'd hoped for.

My fiancee, on the other hand, was unable to resist the pull of the sabayon. My GOD that was good. The texture was a lot like a souffle I make, but the quality and flavor of the chocolate that they used was so divine. I'll bet if Jesus were a chocolatier he would have made chocolate like that.

Rissa came up while we were waiting our agonizing fifteen minutes and introduced herself. This was nice, because nothing is more satisfying than a good meal other than being able to thank the people responsible for putting it in your tummy. So thank you, thank you, Rissa!

And can someone please explain the difference between a souffle and a sabayon?

Our waiter was great, although I didn't catch his name (or did, and am just horrible at remembering - he was bald, well-groomed, looked kinda like the tough secret service guy with the heart of gold - I'll call him Goldy).

Well, I guess we know what Don is going to change Ferhat's username to on his next birthday...

Is Corduroy open on Sunday nights?

I thought Corduroy was open on Sundays for dinner (in fact, I'm pretty sure I've dined there on Sunday), but their website currently shows them closed on Sundays. Is this a change? Temporary? I have an out-of-town visitor who will be available for dinner only on a Sunday later this month, and I was hoping to take him to Corduroy.

I thought Corduroy was open on Sundays for dinner (in fact, I'm pretty sure I've dined there on Sunday), but their website currently shows them closed on Sundays. Is this a change? Temporary? I have an out-of-town visitor who will be available for dinner only on a Sunday later this month, and I was hoping to take him to Corduroy.
I believe only the bar is open on Sundays, which means the dinner menu isn't available. I'll be happy to be corrected, however.

I've been patiently awaiting the arrival of peaches on menus around town, and today was my lucky day. Peach sorbet with blueberries. A guilt-free (well, maybe just less guilt than the dark chocolate tart that I always order) lunchtime dessert.

And, if I understood my companion's "yums" correctly, the mango sorbet wasn't half bad either.

hit corduroy for the first time tonight with my girlfriend. summary:

me:

half-dozen oysters (malbec? can't remember for sure) with champagne mignonette - great, sweet and briny, nice and meaty

half order of soft-shell crab. just great. succulent, over lettuce with a great complementary sauce

vanilla bean creme brulee - no need to mess with a classic. delicious

christina:

beef strip loin - i had a couple bites, and this was perfectly cooked, and very tasty.

blueberry tart - this was the only slight facet of the meal that wasn't perfect. it was good, just wasn't great.

I was pleasantly suprised to find a quite respectable beer list full of semi-unknown beers and thankfully lacking the bud/miller/coors ilk. Had a geary's summer and an anderson valley IPA, then finished with a glass of dow's 20-year tawny. Volnay pinot noir for christina, and although I'm not a wine person, i quite enjoyed my small taste. Very drinkable, light on the tannin, earthy and mildly fruity.

A bigger splurge than normal for us, but worth every penny, especially considering the number of courses and drinks. We'll be back. My only regret was that I didn't get to try the scallops (or a soup, this pea one you guys are talking about sounds awesome).

me:

half-dozen oysters (malbec? can't remember for sure) with champagne mignonette - great, sweet and briny, nice and meaty

malpeque. My party shared the blueberry tart recently and we were damned near close to ordering another one. We loved the fish in oyster and celery sauce. It was actually selected by the two members of my party who HATE celery. Oysters with apple mignonette are only $6/half dozen during happy hour. Pint of Murphys is $3. Soup is $3. Happy hour runs from 4 to 7. Figure out the delicious permutations and do the math.

malpeque. My party shared the blueberry tart recently and we were damned near close to ordering another one. We loved the fish in oyster and celery sauce. It was actually selected by the two members of my party who HATE celery. Oysters with apple mignonette are only $6/half dozen during happy hour. Pint of Murphys is $3. Soup is $3. Happy hour runs from 4 to 7. Figure out the delicious permutations and do the math.

Malbec - wine

Malpeque - oysters.

Learn something new every day. Mmmm, happy hour...

Just thought I'd say that I think it's TRAGIC that Corduroy isn't busier. Most people I talk to have never heard of it, and I've yet to see the dining room near full. Someone needs to start a campaign to get people through the doors, even though I like having it always available and always reasonably priced (for the food you get).

Not much to add, but Corduroy has become the one restaurant in DC, more than any other, that I long to go back to the second I leave; with more time and money, I would be a twice-a-week regular. I've had better meals, but no other place has me coming back so consistently. I think it's the wine list or the brief simplicity of the menu. My three meals in the last month have been perfect, culminating in the softshell crabs for me last night, the scallops for my girlfriend, and the lobster carpaccio and blueberry tart. Nothing more to say except that I really want to go back soon and try the sunnyside farms chicken.

me:

half order of soft-shell crab. just great. succulent, over lettuce with a great complementary sauce

vanilla bean creme brulee - no need to mess with a classic. delicious

christina:

beef strip loin - i had a couple bites, and this was perfectly cooked, and very tasty.

blueberry tart - this was the only slight facet of the meal that wasn't perfect. it was good, just wasn't great.

I was pleasantly suprised to find a quite respectable beer list full of semi-unknown beers and thankfully lacking the bud/miller/coors ilk. Had a geary's summer and an anderson valley IPA, then finished with a glass of dow's 20-year tawny. Volnay pinot noir for christina, and although I'm not a wine person, i quite enjoyed my small taste. Very drinkable, light on the tannin, earthy and mildly fruity.

A bigger splurge than normal for us, but worth every penny, especially considering the number of courses and drinks. We'll be back. My only regret was that I didn't get to try the scallops (or a soup, this pea one you guys are talking about sounds awesome).

One thing Eric forgot to mention was the buffalo mozarella porcupine I ordered. It was very enjoyable; the different textures (creamy cheese, crispy strings, smooth sauce) worked well together and the sauce was great.

The beef strip loin was cooked to perfection, something that I rarely come across. The green beans were probably the best I've ever had.

Another thing worth noting was the impeccable service we received. Our waitress was not only friendly, but also extremely helpful/knowledgable when we were choosing wine. Eric was trying to decide between two ports when she came back with samples of both. I really appreciate it when servers go the extra step. Long story short, the dinner was great and I look forward to going back in the very near future.

Just thought I'd say that I think it's TRAGIC that Corduroy isn't busier. Most people I talk to have never heard of it, and I've yet to see the dining room near full. Someone needs to start a campaign to get people through the doors, even though I like having it always available and always reasonably priced (for the food you get).

Not much to add, but Corduroy has become the one restaurant in DC, more than any other, that I long to go back to the second I leave; with more time and money, I would be a twice-a-week regular. I've had better meals, but no other place has me coming back so consistently. I think it's the wine list or the brief simplicity of the menu. My three meals in the last month have been perfect, culminating in the softshell crabs for me last night, the scallops for my girlfriend, and the lobster carpaccio and blueberry tart. Nothing more to say except that I really want to go back soon and try the sunnyside farms chicken.

I made a reservation via OpenTable and there were almost no spots available during prime time over the whole of RW. Got an 8:30 on Monday though.

Not much to add, but Corduroy has become the one restaurant in DC, more than any other, that I long to go back to the second I leave; with more time and money, I would be a twice-a-week regular. I've had better meals, but no other place has me coming back so consistently. I think it's the wine list or the brief simplicity of the menu.
As many times as I have eaten at and written about Corduroy, I haven't been able to express the appeal of the place as well as you have here. Thanks. Dame Edna doesn't know this yet, but there is a soft-shell crab (again!) with my name on it to be devoured this evening.

I made a reservation via OpenTable and there were almost no spots available during prime time over the whole of RW. Got an 8:30 on Monday though.

Great to hear that it's getting booked up. This seems like the sort of restaurant that RW can do wonders for. I have an 8pm on Wednesday for RW, but I'll probably try to make it to Corduroy at least once more before then.

Great to hear that it's getting booked up. This seems like the sort of restaurant that RW can do wonders for. I have an 8pm on Wednesday for RW, but I'll probably try to make it to Corduroy at least once more before then.
We are introducing some of our friends to Tom Power's cooking that night, as well. We will be there at 8:30. :)

We went last night, and you aren't kidding. It wasn't completely empty, but I have never been there on a Friday or Saturday night and seen so few fellow diners as last night. I realize that this is late July, lots of locals are on vacation, but still. How do you explain the long lines for Lauriol Plaza? :)

PORK BELLY ALERT: Chef Power has a "summer-style" pork belly on the menu. According to Ferhat, this is not served with cabbage but with summer veggies like squash and some other stuff. And it is supposed to be somewhat leaner than the cold weather version. Alas, I simply could not forsake the soft-shell crab. I can't figure out how it is always exactly the same--the greens are never wilted, the crab is never over-breaded or under-salted, that ethereal sauce always works perfectly. Also, there is a chilled tomato soup that is worth a word or three. It is not a gazpacho, and bears absolutely NO resemblence to Campbell's, but it is spicy and delicious and is served with quartered cherry tomatoes (both red and yellow) and drizzled with basil oil. A nice start to a meal on a hot, summer night.

PORK BELLY ALERT: Chef Power has a "summer-style" pork belly on the menu. According to Ferhat, this is not served with cabbage but with summer veggies like squash and some other stuff. And it is supposed to be somewhat leaner than the cold weather version.
I tried this a couple weeks ago, and it was outstanding.

Started out Friday HH at Firefly,for an order of crispy oysters with chipotle sauce, then over to Corduroy

so Rosebud (Barbara) could scarf down a soft shell crab. We both had the tomato soup, which was very

beautiful, as well as tasty. Rissa sent out a tasting of the famous ham, not wanting to bring out the whole

carving set up, since the ham has been somewhat depleted by Donrockwellians who had feasted on

said ham, apparently as soon as it arrived at Corduroy. We also had many other things to eat and drink.

And blueberry tart, And ice cream. Mr. Yalcin allowed me to peruse the menu, even though he knows what

I would like, and could, if he wanted to, predict my order beforehand. A true professional.

I had tonight what might possibly be my last soft-shell crab of the season. Of course it was wonderful. I commented to my husband that the sauce reminds me of nacho cheese, but infinitely better than any other nacho cheese I've ever had. Can you imagine an appetizer of gourmet nachos with that sauce? :)

A few years ago (OK, so it was over ten, maybe 15), I read a review about the then-latest Richard Thompson album. The reviewer was basically complaining about having to write a fairly boring and predictable review: brilliant guitar playing, even better songwriting, one of the very best albums of the year. Yeah, OK, so what else is new?

I get the same feeling coming back from Corduroy. I could tell you that the chilled spicy tomato soup was delicious, richly flavored but light, and wonderfully refreshing on a miserably hot day. I could tell you that NQD's salad of beets, baby carrots and goat cheese was equally delicious. I could mention the richness of the pork belly, or the way it melts in your mouth, or the feeling of surprise that such a wintery food works so well in summer. And the wine, and the desserts, and so on. Or I could describe the excellent service, or talk about Rissa's amazing hospitality, and the way she makes you feel like she's welcoming you to her home, not her restaurant. Oh, and that ham!

But what would be the point? You know all that. It's old news, and I hate sounding like a broken record. So I won't bother to tell you these things. I'll just ask a simple question. Have you been to Corduroy recently? And if not, why not?

Or I could describe the excellent service, or talk about Rissa's amazing hospitality, and the way she makes you feel like she's welcoming you to her home, not her restaurant. Oh, and that ham!
Oh, yes and yes and yes and yes. I had a wonderful celebratory dinner with friends there last night (the special dessert when they discovered it was a celebration was thoughtful and appreciated). My friends could not stop raving about the food and service. They will most certainly be repeat customers. They had previously not known the restaurant existed.

And when my strictly meat and potatoes friend ordered his beef tenderloin well done, I was the only one to screech and insist he couldn't order it that way. He loved it, well-done and all, but the professionalism in no one's blinking an eye (at least in our presence :) ) was quite impressive.

I just love this place.

We went last night, and you aren't kidding. It wasn't completely empty, but I have never been there on a Friday or Saturday night and seen so few fellow diners as last night. I realize that this is late July, lots of locals are on vacation, but still. How do you explain the long lines for Lauriol Plaza? :)

How indeed. I wish I could explain it. I can't stand Lauriol Plaza!!! I mean, a rooftop dining room only gets you but so far. But so many of my 20-something friends can't get enough of it. Maybe their tastes will mature over time.

Thankfully, I snagged a Saturday, 8:30 (yes, PM!) RW reservation at Corduroy about 2 months ago. I'm introducing 2 of my friends to the gastronomic delights of Mr. Power. And boy am I glad I did! I can't wait!!

Corduroy will be on vacation for the summer so the dining room will be closed from August 23 thru September 5th.
Have fun, stay cool and hope everyone's having a great summer! cool.gif See you soon!

Now I have a tough decision to make........do we eat at Corduroy BEFORE they go on vacation....or can we stand to wait until they come back? laugh.gif

We went there last Friday night and again had the most wonderful time. DH got the bluefish and I got the baby chicken. I was tempted by the pork belly but had been wanting to try the chicked for a while and didn't feel as adventurous that night. We shared a nice bottle of the 2006 Avondale Rose and it was delish. Between our appetizer and entree, Rissa brought us out a small bowl of the chilled spicy tomato soup. Oh, wow, it was great. A little drizzle of basil oil with sliced grape tomatoes garnished this dish. If it's on the menu next time we go, I will have to get it. And for dessert, we had the peach tart. It was out of this world good. Much better than the strawberry tart we had the last time we were there.

And by the way, half the baby chicken went home with us that night and made one heck of a good sandwich the next day.

Thanks to this board, and particularly to this thread, my wife and had our first experience at Corduroy to celebrate my birthday last night. I found this board while googling around looking for information about the opening of Ray's the Classics in Silver Spring, and I am really happy that I have joined on here. The information that you all share is excellent and very entertaining, and while I have more lurker tendencies than most of you that post frequently, I am looking forward to contributing as much as possible.

Our meal was really nice. Mrs. Max and I both liked the cozy space and the second floor hangout. I made note that the bar area seems like a great place to have dinner when she is out of town three, or four times a month on business.

Mrs. M works three blocks away and never had thought of going here, but that all changed last night as well.

Our service was just right for us. Very informative, unobtrusive and very helpful. She coached me into trying the Pork Belly and I agree with the previous posts praising the braising talents of the Chef. It was a melt in your mouth experience. The sauce was really nice with it as well. My wife had the Rockfish and the accompanying sauce and potato creation was perfect for her.

I had the best birthday cake I have ever had when I ordered the Chocolate Saboyan (sp?). I barely was able to share one bite with my date of 19 years. She had the berries to munch on after dinner, and had just as hard of a time sharing the mango sorbet with me as well.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Announcement:

Corduroy will be on vacation for the summer so the dining room will be closed from August 23 thru September 5th.

Have fun, stay cool and hope everyone's having a great summer! cool.gif

See you soon!
Jeepers, Rissa, you make it sound like all of you are going to need to recover from RW! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif