Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

A person wouldn`t understand how deeply in love with someone or something, as long as that person is spending his time with it. A person will understand `the love and the attachment` when the good bye time comes.

Tonite, maybe for the first time I feel this about Corduroy.

Im not going to be there anymore but my loved ones , my friends and people I respect a lot will be there.

This is really hard.

And for the people who showed up tonite; I really want to thank you. It is very kind and emotional for me to receive this support from you. I appreciate you.

Corduroy Family: I will miss you very much and you will be in my heart.

Thank you.

Corduroy is changing ... Ferhat is leaving, off for a "home visit" (what a concept!) and then will reappear somewhere

else in DC. Pichan is also leaving (going to Thailand?). Much as I would like things to stay the same, I wish Ferhat

and Pichan the best of luck. Tom Power is likely to have some new ideas. Now that the Summer season is here,

maybe we will get some more ice creams! Barbara gets all dreamy and faraway looking when she thinks of the soft shell

crabs at Corduroy.

Even with the changes, the food remains consistently some of the best in DC!

C and I dined at Corduroy on Saturday night. Despite Ferhat leaving, and the place being packed, as well as the unavailability of any soft shells, we had a incredible meal. Ferhat's service was impeccable, I truly believe he is the best waiter in the city, and wish him the best and Godspeed on some relaxation. We had the goat cheese/beet/carrot salad and the duck egg salad as starters, still incredible!, Dinner was the grouper which was perfectly seared and had a wonderful light sauce with cooked celery and beans as a accompaniment. If you have never had cooked celery before, this dish would make you a believer! The lamb was heavenly rare and homemade raviolis to die for. If I ever have to ask for a last meal, I think I would ask for this one! Some wonderful glasses of wine picked out by Ferhat and a delectable chocolate pudding for dessert. Best date I have every been on:)

Nice article on Corduroy in today's Examiner.. Go to page 29.
I don't ever cook at home. My stove
has been broken since 1998 or 1999,
and I have not had it repaired. I don't
want to cook when I am off. I go out.

ustreetguy, you've got some competition! laugh.gif

f_dirtymofom_6310339.jpgTom's wine list always makes me feel like I'm getting away with something. Especially with a dirty mofo like John Wabeck ordering.

Word to the wise: the Chambolle-Musigny, Jacques-Frederic Mugnier, 1998 is all gone, but get the soft shell crab and your disappointment will fade away.

P.S. Here's your photo, John, just liked you asked. :blink:

Nice article on Corduroy in today's Examiner.. Go to page 29.
Word to the wise: the Chambolle-Musigny, Jacques-Frederic Mugnier, 1998 is all gone, but get the soft shell crab and your disappointment will fade away.
As long as they're not 86 Chef Power it's all good. "Very hot stove" indeed.
With his silvery buzz cut, ruddy complexion and snapping blue eyes, Tom Power looks more like Hollywood's answer to a swim coach or prototype surfer than a happening chef. By his own admission, the chef and owner of Corduroy Restaurant, a D.C. "hidden treasure," instead spends 60 to 70 hours a week indoors behind his very hot stove, not out swimming.

f_dirtymofom_6310339.jpgTom's wine list always makes me feel like I'm getting away with something. Especially with a dirty mofo like John Wabeck ordering.

P.S. Here's your photo, John, just liked you asked. :blink:

John said something along the lines of "mmmm stinkyyyy" when I opened up and poured a little bit out of that third bottle.

I took a large business group (16) to Corduroy last night. Rissa, Chef Tom and the whole staff did a great job for us. My group raved about the food and the service.

I also wanted to publicly thank Rissa for working with me to customize a great evening for my committee members. She made me look like a hero to my committee.

THANKS!!! GREAT JOB!!!

Last night for our 3rd wedding anniversary, Mr. BLB made reservations at Corduroy.

It was a great choice, relaxing with good food and the baby was mostly happy though we did take turns walking him in the lobby for a bit when he got fussy. I just hope the tables near us weren't bothered by him.

No soft-shell crab on the menu and the rib-eye was out and a tenderloin was in. The lamb was different too--no goat cheese raviolis!!!

We started with soup--parsnip for me, chilled pea for him. In a town with great soup (palena and eve for starters), you can never go wrong with a Tom Power soup.

I had the lamb loin with creamed spinach--so very good but damnit I want those raviolis back! Mr. BLB had the scallops-- I had a decent taste as he was saving room for dessert. Those potatoes are too tasty not to be incredibly unhealthy!

I finally had the sabayon for dessert. I need to get downtown more. Is it on the lunch menu? Does Corduroy validate parking at lunchtime too? I am planning to take a mom and baby yoga class in town...

We also tried the champagne cocktail--totally different from the versions I have tried before. Very botanical. Probably will try something else next time but that's just our taste.

We had great service from Katt and Rissa took a moment to say hello while juggling a huge party.

It was a great evening out and a wonderful anniversary evening.

An article in today's Washington Business Journal says that the Sheraton Four Points is going to make way for a luxury office tower. Since I couldn't read the entire article, I'm not sure of the timeline on this.

Quoting from the WBJ article: "For that reason the project won't be a speculative development. JBG wants to pre-lease at least half the space before it closes the hotel. Until then, the hotel will be fully operational. Tentatively, JBG expects to have a tenant lined by the end of the year. "

Sounds like the Four Points (and Corduroy) should remain in place through at least the end of the year. After that... ???

I think I have discovered the perfect spring meal:

Chilled Pea Soup

Soft-shell Crabs

Strawberry Tart

Each piece is perfect alone, but so much better in that sequence.

Gee, I was there tonight and had the chilled pea soup and then the soft-shelled crabs. No room for any strawberry tart, but the first two courses were a perfect progression, followed by excellent espresso, and then home to my sweet little doggie. An excellent evening.

Chilled Pea Soup

Soft-shell Crabs

Strawberry Tart

I should have had the strawberry tart last night. I ended up getting the pistachio bread pudding to finish up my meal of a beet salad and soft-shell crab, and it had the consistency of cake. Not terrible, but not perfect. Oh, well. Next time I'll stick to my instincts and get the fruit tart.

Chilled Pea Soup

Soft-shell Crabs

Strawberry Tart

Ditto.

Of course, others may opt for an order of lobster salad, followed by another order of lobster salad, and then the strawberry tart. ;)

Is anyone going to the Corduroy/Pegasus wine dinner on the 12th besides us?

CORDUROY

proudly welcomes

Edward Donaldson

Owner of Pegasus Bay Winery

Waipara, New Zealand

June 12th, 2007, Tuesday

Reception begin at 6:30 pm

Dinner served promptly at 7:00 pm

Passed Hors d'Oeuvres

Smoked Sable with Black Pepper Cream

Chilled Sorrel Soup

Duck Rillettes

Pegasus Bay, Sauvignon Semillon, 2006

Dinner

Carpaccio of Hamachi with Mizuna and Ginger

Pegasus Bay, Riesling, 2005

Wild Ivory King Salmon, Lyonnaise Potato and Onion Sauce

Pegasus Bay, Chardonnay, 2005

Braised Pork Cheek, Parsnip and Burgundy Truffle

Main Divide, Pinot Noir, 2004

Roast Loin of Lamb with Chanterelles and Rosemary

Pegasus Bay, Pinot Noir, 2004

Local Raspberry Tart and Ice Cream

Pegasus Bay Finale, 2003

Chef and Owner Tom Power

$100 per person excluding tax

Reservations must be guaranteed with credit card information

Please cancel by Friday, June 8th to avoid guarantee fee

For reservations, please contact Rissa Pagsibigan or Scott Palmer at (202) 589-0699 or by email at rissa@corduroydc.com

The in-laws were in town this weekend, which means finding a place with:

1) Good food

2) A relatively quiet setting for my going-deaf-but-won't-admit-it father-in-law

3) A reasonable corkage police for same said wine collecting/wine snob father-in-law

Corduroy came through in a terrific way. On the menu:

For appetizers, my mother-in-law and I both had the soft shell crabs, fried crispy, yet not greasy, with substantial crabs underneath that you could actually taste. I wonder how many people go through life claiming they love soft shell crabs, but who never experience them prepared this marvelously. My FIL had the lobster carpaccio appetizer (which the waiter assured us was cooked), and I assume it was good since it was gone before I had time to ask if I could try it. Sister-in-law had the beet salad, and my wife had the chilled pea soup (aka, essence of spring). Not a drop was left on any plate. And all went well with the '93 Meursault that my FIL had brought along.

For the entrees, three of us--myself, FIL, MIL--had the buffalo steak. My father-in-law is the type who matches food to his wines rather than vice versa. We had two '66 Haut Brions to drink with dinner., and my FIL immediately chose the buffalo as the perfect accompaniment. A terrific piece of meat, cooked to a perfect medium rare. My wife had the scallops, which are everything that has been advertised--plump, buttery, what scallops should be. Finally, my sister-in-law demolished her seared tuna.

For dessert, my wife and I split the chocolate torte with caramelized bananas, which I remember as being good though I had consumed a lot of Bordeaux at that point.

Service was excellent, including the wine service on the bottles that we brought. (Our bus-woman almost did set the place on fire, however. She put down the bread basket, and the napkin holding the bread accidentally got caught by the candle on the table. We all thought it was kind of amusing, but I suppose a fire alarm going off in a restaurant could really ruin the night.)

One piece of constructive criticism: on spectrum of detailed menu descriptions to spare menu descriptions, Corduroy definitely tends toward the spare. The menu is far less interesting on paper than it is when the waiter described some of the dishes in detail. In fact, I don't think the descriptions on the actual menu do the dishes justice.

Thank you, Corduroy. We'll be back.

You know, if there's going to be a battle of the best hamburgers in DC, Corduroy's burger should be in the running. I popped in to get a gift certificate at lunchtime, and the burger was what I think of as the perfect burger. About 1/2 lb of juicy beef grilled medium rare, on a large bun, probably a kaiser roll of some sort but I was too busy devouring it and the fries. And thanks to Rissa who took care of my credit card which I left there because I was distracted by a bunch of work stuff. [And thanks to Tom Brown for not actually charging up a bunch of '66 Margaux. It wouldn't have fit in my tiny credit limit anyway ;) ]

From Tom's chat this morning:

Washington, D.C.: Any word from Tom over at Corduroy where/when they will moving?

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washingt.../28/story1.html

Tom Sietsema: "The rumor is true," Power tells me.

The chef plans to give his landlord notice (this post could be it, actually) July 10 and say good-bye to the hotel space on 11th & K streets in January -- in part to keep his staff for a planned February 2008 opening at 1122 9th St, in the Shaw neighborhood.

His forthcoming venture -- a three-story historic building, with 58 seats on the first floor and private rooms above it -- will be called Corduroy and stick with the same menu, at least to begin.

Eepps.. is July 10th true??
I figure Tom knows what he's talking about, or he wouldn't have said it in the chat. Six months seems like a decent amount of notice to give a landlord before moving.

I figure Tom knows what he's talking about, or he wouldn't have said it in the chat. Six months seems like a decent amount of notice to give a landlord before moving.
It's a contractual obligation, I believe. However, that hotel is going to be bull-dozed next year with a new office building taking its place. Looks like the timing for both parties is spot on.

Is this true!?! I think the address given was 1192 9th. As a resident of the 1500 block of 9th, I couldn't be more excited. (I hope this is true, because the news has hit the neighborhood blogs--I found out at renewshaw and we can get cranky when disappointed)

Well, if true, welcome to the neighborhood.

Man, the rumor mill is cranked up to 11! Truth is 6 months is a lifetime for some restaurants. Where will we all be next year? Hopefully enjoying good food with great friends! The prospects of change may be in the air but, don't forget that your business has been an integral part of Corduroy's success and your continued patronage will be important to our future...where ever that may be ;)

I was quite disappointed in the Lumpia I had today for lunch. In the past I remember the filing being a little looser, and being able to identify the various elements that went into it. Not today, it was the consistency of sausage. The flavor was fine, but it denser filling made it a little less enjoyable.

On the other hand the soft-shelled crabs were the best I have had this year. They were perfectly cooked and the verjus sauce really added a little something to the dish.

WRONG!!! Tomato

Don't be too hard on him. Obviously Ferhat is mindful of the Corduroy confidentiality agreement:

Willful disclosure of information obtained while in the employment of Corduroy shall result in the immediate dispatch of the TMNT for a TP beat down.
;)

Then I saw the Red Snapper Bisque on the menu. For those of you who were fortunate enough to try the Red Pumpkin Soup: remember that first spoon full. The creaminess, the smooth texture and unbelievable flavor. How does he do this, you ask yourself?

Well, once again Chef Power has created another amazing work of art in a bowl, only this time it involves seafood. Lobster stock, Red Snapper Stock and cream blended to perfection. It was exactly what I was looking for. I had to share, much to my chagrin, but this soup is too good to keep to yourself. Go, share it with loved ones, and savor every spoonful.

Yep, and it's just as good now as it was then. Incredible.

The red snapper bisque is my favorite of the several soups I have had at Corduroy, it is really delicious. The last time I ate in the dining room, I had a celeriac soup that was made with a fish/seafood stock, and I thought the celeriac was overwhelmed by the stock. The best fish soups are based on fish or shellfish stock, vegetable soups on vegetable or very light chicken stock.

I went for lunch today and had the sweet corn soup and soft-shell crab with verjus. The soup was lovely, and the soft-shell was prepared as beautifully as any soft-shell I think I've ever had.

My one complaint is that the salad that accompanied the soft-shell was overly salty, which I have also found to be true with Tom's mixed green salad with shallot vinaigrette. Does anyone else feel this way?