Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

Just a word of advice -- go now and get the bluefish with tomato marmalade. If he turned this into a ragu with linguini it would make Sicilian grandmothers cry with anguish about their own cooking skills.

Edited to change bluefin into the correct bluefish

Or do as I did for lunch today, the chilled thai-chili tomato soup AND the bluefish with tomato marmalade. Both were delightful and delicious.

coincidentally, i had exactly the same thing on saturday night. the soup is beautiful to behold, dotted with halved cherry tomatoes and droplets of inky green basil oil. i wasn't paying any attention to the pepper at all, but it had a subtle presence by the time i worked my way to the bottom of the bowl. the cherry tomatoes are peeled and without their skins are all about flavor and smooth as pearls, or a bit like roasted peppers in texture but without any smoke. from what our server was telling us about how they are skinned, it sounds like they are flash sauteed in a hot pan just until the skins split. i haven't tried this at home yet, and always force cherry tomatoes through a sieve when i cook them, turning them into a sauce, but imagine when i do that it may not be that easy keeping the flesh intact.

two pieces of crispy skinned bluefish, the shape of long shortcake cookies, take well to the tomato marmalade, a meaty sauce that tastes like pure tomato.

splashing sorbet with grappa, as you can order here, can provide a curious melding of flavors. it works well with a scoop of melon, by itself, my favorite of the trio provided, and mango, but combined with the flavor of berries it almost tastes like you are approaching chocolate. the addition of grappa is not boozy at all, but an added incentive to finish your dessert.

Had dinner here last night with the lady. The tomato-based first courses are an absolute must-have, particularly that chilled tomato soup everyone mentioned, and it was an amazing respite from the heat outside. Entrees were good, particularly my lamb loin. Nice tender, juicy, NON-GAMEY lamb. The lady's rib-eye was pretty good, though one of the pieces she gave me to try was really tough which was disconcerting.

There were some weird service issues. Our entrees came after a fairly sizeable delay, with people who had sat down after us getting their entrees before we did and there even being a mix-up with the gentleman at the table next to us getting, what the lady and I were pretty sure was, her entree. I don't like to complain about service and I'm certainly not one to get mad unless it's really egregious, but it struck me as unusual for a place of Corduroy's calibre and considering our waiter, Dan, was excellent.

Not a fan of the hotel. Looking forward to the new Corduroy by the convention center.

We had dinner here last night as part of our RW experience. As usual, Corduroy was excellent--great, warm service and fun, memorable food.

After a drink at the bar (and really, one of the largest Gin and Tonics that I've had in recent memory), I started with the Northern Neck Corn Soup--nothing earth-shattering, but a perfectly executed corn cream soup. My girlfriend had the chilled tomato soup, and raved. I followed up with the baby chicken--brined, I think, and deeply flavorful, with the thyme and garlic subtle but definitely there. Nice crispy skin. My girlfriend had the rib-eye, and also loved it (and the green beans--blanched perhaps, and crisp but not squeaky, if you know what I mean). Dessert was overkill for us--the chocolate/hazelnut bars were very rich, and large, and delicious.

We limped out, stuffed to the gills, fat and happy.

Yes, the tomato dishes are available at lunch. I had the chilled tomato soup yesterday, which was as delightful as everyone has said. I skipped the bluefish in favor of the soft shelled crab, which was nicely crunchy and well complimented by the greens. The chocolate tart with caramelized banana was a rich, delicious end to the meal.

They seemed pretty overwhelmed by the lunch traffic, as should be expected during RW (especially Day 1), so be prepared for a more leisurely lunch.

Yes, the tomato dishes are available at lunch. I had the chilled tomato soup yesterday, which was as delightful as everyone has said. I skipped the bluefish in favor of the soft shelled crab, which was nicely crunchy and well complimented by the greens. The chocolate tart with caramelized banana was a rich, delicious end to the meal.

They seemed pretty overwhelmed by the lunch traffic, as should be expected during RW (especially Day 1), so be prepared for a more leisurely lunch.

Thats funny, I ate there yesterday for lunch and sat at the bar. I got there around 12:30 and was done by 1:10. To be honest, it was a little TOO fast for my liking, as I was hoping to linger for a bit. The food was good and I luckily didnt feel too stuffed after a 3-course lunch (something I never do...) BTW, I was the only person at the bar at 1 PM....

Our appetizer actually came out pretty quickly; it was our main course that took over a half hour to show. I think we were there for about hour and 15 minutes in all, starting at 1:45. Hopefully service will even out as RW continues.

Our appetizer actually came out pretty quickly; it was our main course that took over a half hour to show. I think we were there for about hour and 15 minutes in all, starting at 1:45. Hopefully service will even out as RW continues.

I don't think this has to do with RW even. This happened to us on Saturday night...I was more than a bit perplexed, but I won't pretend like I know what could be going on.

as it was a weird feeling to have a reservation for me , it was more to actually go and have dinner last wednesday during RW.

my rsvp was at 8.30pm and at that time the room was still full which gave me a good smile.

as our apps we had the tomato salad and bluemoon greens and the chilled tomato soup which were great. Tom Power (as I have seen before) has really great skills for the soups.

for the mains we had the tuna with hijiki and the rib eye steak. both great dishes. for dessert we shared the mixed berries and the famous KIT KAT BARS (haha I always wanted to say that in loud). a great service was done by Kat.

I just miss this restaurant a lot.

It was good to see everybody again .

thank you Corduroy

For the first time, since my employment at Corduroy, I will be having a meal in the dining room . I am very exicted. I have no doubt I will share in the joy and satisfaction that all have posted on this board. I would also like to add to Ferhat's post. From my first day at Corduroy, I have looked up to Ferhat. Words cannot express my gratitude for what he has taught me. When he came in for dinner, one of my guests had asked me if Ferhat was a celebrity. The attention he was receiving from the staff made her think that Ferhat had to have been famous. Perhaps not famous, but someone who is greatly missed.

For the first time, since my employment at Corduroy, I will be having a meal in the dining room . I am very exicted. I have no doubt I will share in the joy and satisfaction that all have posted on this board. I would also like to add to Ferhat's post. From my first day at Corduroy, I have looked up to Ferhat. Words cannot express my gratitude for what he has taught me. When he came in for dinner, one of my guests had asked me if Ferhat was a celebrity. The attention he was receiving from the staff made her think that Ferhat had to have been famous. Perhaps not famous, but someone who is greatly missed.

Is he a good tipper? Does he eat with his fingers or wipe his mouth on his sleeve? Inquiring minds want to know!

I am sure he tips great and does not of these other things.... but.... :angry:

The best fish soups are based on fish or shellfish stock, vegetable soups on vegetable or very light chicken stock.
I believe that the recent versions of the corn soup prove this theory wrong. The version being served a couple weeks ago had a chicken stock base, and although good, it just didn't have the pop of most of Tom's soups. It has been changed, and now has a lobster stock base, and it is absolutely amazing!

Parents make plans, and babies laugh...

5:30 reservations at Corduroy. Z would sleep on the way there, eat when we arrived, coo happily in his stroller for a while and fall asleep in his sling while we had dessert. Foolproof planning on my part!

Not exactly...

He did sleep on the way there. Didn't want to eat when we arrived (thanks to the staff for putting us away from the maddening crowd so I could nurse!) Just wanted to be held. Sigh...

We did get to eat the first course together--I had the goat cheese and beet salad and Mr. BLB had the Corn soup. I was in total soup envy but feared I couldn't hold the baby and eat soup at the same time.

For our entrees and desserts, we took turns taking Z out to the lobby and calling each other on our cell phones when we were done eating. Not quite romantic but he didn't cry in the dining room. I had the ribeye and he had the buffalo strip loin. We were so distracted, we didn't taste each others dishes! I loved the rib-eye. Just meaty perfection.

The kit kat bars and the chocolate tart rounded out the evening.

Thanks to Kat and the entire staff who put up with our bizarre baby-dining dance with tremendous grace and cheer!

Jennifer, thinking baby-sitter before the next outing...

Perhaps not famous, but someone who is greatly missed.

I think I have been to Corduroy a total of maybe 7 times over the past two to three years and Ferhat was my server at least 3 of those times! It was strange to go into Corduroy this past Tuesday evening and not have Ferhat walking around the dining room or see Rissa's smiling face.

My food, however, was still spectacular. Two of my friends had never been to Corduroy and they all came away as fans. Our appetizers consisted of the lobster carpaccio, the lobster salad special, the local tomatoes and I had the corn soup. I think only once have I gotten something besides a Tom Power soup as an app and they've always been magnificent. This one certainly didn't disappoint. Creamy and sweet. Yum!

Main courses were two orders of lamb, the scallops and the buffalo strip for me. I normally get scallops, but since I had been at the beach all last week and had eaten scallops and other seafood for 7 straight days, I decided to go with the red meat. Such a well-seasoned and juicy piece of meat. And it was huge! I shouldn't have eaten the whole thing, but I couldn't stop myself! If I may ask, what is served along with the strip? The green beans were awesome and the other side was good, but I couldn't tell if it was potato or leek or what.

Desserts were quickly devoured as we tried the creme brulee, fresh berries, bread pudding and bluberry tart. My only minor gripe was the length of our dinner. It was nice to sit and chat with my friends as we digested between courses, but we sat with our menus a good 15 minutes before our waiter took our order, and our meal lasted almost 2 hours and 30 minutes. Plus, one of my friends ordered coffee with her dessert and the coffee came after our dessert plates were all clean. Also, the one person at the table with sparkling water had to guard her glass against accidentally getting tap water poured in.

We still had an amazing dinner and I think we'll all be back again!

Is he a good tipper? Does he eat with his fingers or wipe his mouth on his sleeve? Inquiring minds want to know!

I am sure he tips great and does not of these other things.... but.... B)

Uh, no, that was me using my sleve and eating with my hands, well, it was 2 years ago :angry: D'oh...Bad Manager!

Thanks to Kat and the entire staff who put up with our bizarre baby-dining dance with tremendous grace and cheer!

Jennifer, thinking baby-sitter before the next outing...

It gets better when they get older and more predictable. We took our 3.5 yr old there in April for my husband's birthday. She was incredibly well behaved but the little eating machine ordered the lamb loin and proceeded to eat the entire thing without sharing. Meanwhile, the birthday boy had ordered the roast chicken thinking they'd go halfsies and was left high and dry.

Hi Everyone,

Just a note to let you know that Corduroy will be closed for our Annual Summer Break from Wednesday, August 22nd through Tuesday, September 4th. We reopen for lunch & dinner on Wednesday, September 5th. Hope to see everyone then!

I haven't seen soft-shells on any menu for a while now (although my husband spotted some at American Seafood Company last weekend).

Corduroy still had them last weekend - available on the RW menu without up charge. They preparation (au jus) is the same as the year before and remains my favorite in town. I should do a full review, but I'll just say for now that Corduroy continues to take RW seriously and justifies taking advantage of an otherwise somewhat tired deal. I was pleased to find that the service here remains top notch - even during a busy RW (extended) night. The lobster salad appetizer special was a treat as well. One of the best dishes I've had all summer actually.

Just a word of advice -- go now and get the bluefish with tomato marmalade. If he turned this into a ragu with linguini it would make Sicilian grandmothers cry with anguish about their own cooking skills.
Or the tomato salad; tomatoes are very much in season at Corduroy.

Yes, the tomato marmalade is as awesome as everyone has described. The tomato salad was pretty good too and served at a somewhat cooler temperature than its counterpart at Circle Bistro. They were definitely the highlights of our RW lunch there.

Everything else was so-so. The bluefish itself didn't wow me. I continue to believe that my palate cannot discern the difference between fish that is great and fish that is merely decent. If anyone has insights, I'd love to hear them. The blueberry tart was also not what I expected. It tasted fine, but I hoped for something with a crusty texture.

Just back from dinner there. This was our first trip back since early August. Biscuit Girl had the charred tomato soup, a warm tomato soup with ancho chiles and cilantro. She got all she could out of the bowl with the spoon, and mopped up the last bit with the bread. I had the beet salad with goat cheese, a refreshing mix of microgreens, baby beets, carrots, and goat cheese in a circle on the plate.

For the main dish, I had the baby chicken, which I have raved about before. If I recall correctly, it is brined, then poached, then roasted, yielding thin tasty skin, served with a veal sauce on a bed of arugula with a top-knot of mashed potatoes and Considering that it has stayed the same price for the last 3-4 years as well, it's a bargain. Barbara had the wild king salmon.

Thank you, Katt, for recommending the pinot noir. It was spot on, and the Morgan Double L 2002 for $57 is a bargain as well.

The kabocha squash tart (pie) that we had tonight kicked ass! And, I won't even mention the totally awesome special appetizer - I hope it makes the new menu.

It totally kicked ass. Like it saw thanksgiving and said, "I see your thanksgiving and raise you a kabocha tart," and the tart won. I won't call it a pie, given all the right angles involved, but damn that was a good pastry-based dessert. :( And, Scooter rocked the wine service. He gave us a tour of Sonoma County, and then transported us to Oregon. What a fun night!

Damn, I wanted to try the kabocha tart, but were we too full last night from the Filipino spring rolls (wow...), kabocha soup, scallops, and lamb loin. A highlight was the garlic creamed spinach - that may be a surefire way to get herbi-phobes to eat their veggies!

I'll second the rave about the chicken. It really has an incredible, intense flavor; definitely not the 'menu default' chicken. Try it. It is special.

Night #2 (Sat, 12/29) of our 3 night stay in D.C. & we went to Corduroy. Glad we did. First of all, anyone know how this place was named? Ginny was wondering and neither of us can think of a possibility.

At any rate, we both started with soup. She the kabocha squash, me the parsnip. Both were great. Not good, not very good... great. I love soups and these were extremely rich, flavorful and satisfying. They do a soup proud. For an entree, Ginny had the bass on a bed of squash and, although she liked it a lot, she found it too rich to finish... maybe less squash and a green? I didnt taste it, being totally engrossed with my baby chicken on arugula. Salty, but I like salt. Again, very rich, but I have capacity. I was wary about going to a place that has a good reputation, not knowing whether I'll ever be back, and ordering a roast chicken. I shouldn't have. Glad our waiter (tall, nice guy) said it wasn't a stupid idea. An order of mixed berries for her(came with a berry sorbet that we loved) and an ice cream dessert for me (good vanilla, ehh chocolate mint), some espressos and we were very glad we came. All in, with 2 nice 1/2 bottles of wine (white and red, 2 of my favorite wine colors), sparkling water, tax and tip, it was an appropriate $190 for the 2 of us. If in Brooklyn, we'd be regulars. Solid comfort food.

Night #2 (Sat, 12/29) of our 3 night stay in D.C. & we went to Corduroy. Glad we did. First of all, anyone know how this place was named? Ginny was wondering and neither of us can think of a possibility.
I believe it's a reference to the Pearl Jam song, but I'm not 100% certain.

I love that chicken. It's really time to be getting back there. I still call it my favorite restaurant in the city, even though I haven't been in a while.

They were on target to be moving to another location soon, but I'm not sure what the schedule is for that. Does anyone know?

I believe it's a reference to the Pearl Jam song, but I'm not 100% certain.

I love that chicken. It's really time to be getting back there. I still call it my favorite restaurant in the city, even though I haven't been in a while.

They were on target to be moving to another location soon, but I'm not sure what the schedule is for that. Does anyone know?

On our receipt it says, "our last day at this location will be Jan. 31st... will reopen in early March at 1122 Ninth St NW..."

They are listed as Restaurant Week participants (Jan. 14-20). Whether Corduroy will do anything special during

those ten or so days after RW and before closing, I don't know. Tears and Hugs? Celebratory toasts? Powerpoint presentation

about the new place? Business as usual? It could be anything. (Or everything).

If the hotel remains open, someone is likely to look for the restaurant at 12th and K, and say ???????????

Things may have changed, but I was told by an employee of the restaurant 2 months ago that the building was being torn down.
The Washington Business Journal article, which is probably mentioned upthread, said that it was being torn down and would be a high rise office building. When it was first news, it sounded as though the restaurant was relocating while the hotel was still open.

ETA: The discussion of the WBJ article, etc., is on the previous page of this thread.

The Washington Business Journal article, which is probably mentioned upthread, said that it was being torn down and would be a high rise office building. When it was first news, it sounded as though the restaurant was relocating while the hotel was still open.

ETA: The discussion of the WBJ article, etc., is on the previous page of this thread.

I am fairly certain that, although the hotel is slated to be torn down, it will remain open for some time.